Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor First Experience in AA J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
It's funny to me how airline catering departments seems to get fixated on certain food "trends." Over on AS, we've been laughing for some time at how ubiquitous kale and polenta is on F menus .
Yes these things go in cycles. I am now of the firm opinion that "current trend" What is NEW and GOOD for you" is ruled by who funds the studies and who gets paid to propagate the notions to a naive public. Understand kale always had the same properties, the farmers just need to sell more !
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've just started reading trip reports recently. Although this one wasn't one for the great memory books, I enjoyed reading the entire thing! Thank you for sharing! :-)
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:18 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
Great trip report. I think you definitely had a weaker-than-normal meal service which is unfortunate.

With regards to the service, this is where I think the constant AA vs. BA J comparison misses the mark. Yeah, we all know that BA has a dense J cabin, but I've never had truly bad catering on BA (long haul), and while I've had one or two crews that were less than enthusiastic, I've always had professional and attentive service. On AA, it's just too hit-or-miss, with the many outstanding crews overshadowed by the many lazy and unprofessional crews who don't seem to have a clue or care about how to provide international-standard service in a premium cabin.

It's like two extremes on AA with no middle ground, and having a bad crew spoils my flight far more than not having direct aisle access.
Thank you for reading and for the kind words!

I'm not sure what was up with this meal because it seemed to be a pretty standard menu, and from a hub you'd expect at least average catering. Definitely unfortunate though. It's not enough to make me never fly AA J again if I accumulate enough miles and the schedule is right, but I'd eat a lot before boarding. Personally I'd take the reverse herringbone over BA's seats though.

Originally Posted by enviroian
That chicken dish looks absolutely disgusting. How on earth can you pull that out of the oven and say "wow this looks great!".

The cheese dish is also very sad for a J class. It looks identical to the cheese plate I had lax-dfw last week--down to the cracker brand and cheese types.

What weed does one smoke to think that black olives and pomegranate seeds go together?
Thanks for reading! All very salient questions which may or may not have good answers

Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes these things go in cycles. I am now of the firm opinion that "current trend" What is NEW and GOOD for you" is ruled by who funds the studies and who gets paid to propagate the notions to a naive public. Understand kale always had the same properties, the farmers just need to sell more !
If only I could ascribe food faddism to such a logical explanation

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I've just started reading trip reports recently. Although this one wasn't one for the great memory books, I enjoyed reading the entire thing! Thank you for sharing! :-)
I'm very glad you enjoyed it, thank you for reading and for the kind words!
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 3:21 pm
C W
Original Poster

Wrote a very concise complaint to AA about the delay, seat loss, lack drink chits, and inedible food.

Got a fast response and no compensation, not even a few miles. Lol
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by C W
Wrote a very concise complaint to AA about the delay, seat loss, lack drink chits, and inedible food.

Got a fast response and no compensation, not even a few miles. Lol
But I guess they told you they informed the responsible department and will hard work for your next experience
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:01 pm
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
But I guess they told you they informed the responsible department and will hard work for your next experience
Yup:

Dear Mr. C W:

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I regret that your scheduled American Airlines flight was delayed. Please accept my sincere apology for the difficulties you encountered when you traveled with us. From your description it certainly sounds as if the experience was frustrating, and I am sorry to hear we did not provide the level of service you expect and deserve.

Furthermore, there is no question that the quality of food served on board our aircraft can either contribute to -- or detract from -- your overall enjoyment of a flight. I am sorry the meal we offered did not meet your expectations. Your disappointment is a cause of concern, and we appreciate your letting us know. We carefully monitor our food and beverage service, using a checklist that contains specifications for the amount, type and appearance of our food trays. When we are notified of inconsistencies, we work with the caterer to ensure that these deficiencies are not repeated. Surveys of customer reactions to our service, and observations such as yours, help us to identify problem areas and take appropriate corrective action.

Accordingly, the details of your experience have been documented and will be added to our report. Your feedback will be made available to our leaders for review and then utilized to make improvements to our service. Again, I am sorry for any inconvenience that this experience has caused you.

We are all working hard to ensure that every flight on American is enjoyable, and, again, I am sorry we disappointed you. Please travel with us again soon.

Sincerely,

Customer Relations
American Airlines
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Yes! The usual „appropriate“ answer - written by marketing-morons (MMs) and always the same..... I guess they really think people are satisfied by this .......
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:41 pm
C W
Original Poster

Yes! The usual „appropriate“ answer - written by marketing-morons (MMs) and always the same..... I guess they really think people are satisfied by this .......
Does AA not typical offer compensation for service failures?

DL, even before I was elite, would offer 5,000-10,000 for such a complaint.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
OMG I did a double-take when I saw your pic of the crew rest area ... that looked like a *giant* US Prime Grade A tuchus right there on that bunk. Turns out it was only a bundle of bedding. Whew...

Last edited by Jean-Baptiste Legrand; Feb 26, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.