Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover Port Dickson-The Army Town of Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Discover Port Dickson-The Army Town of Malaysia

Hello once again to all FlyerTalk readers! Welcome to my 2nd trip report which is a continuation of my previous trip report that can be retrieved here:

To The Paradise With Malindo Air

Just a few days after I came back from an enjoyable trip to Langkawi with my parents, I made another leisure trip with my friend to a famous seaside town, Port Dickson. This report will cover the details of my return flight from Langkawi to KL with Malaysia Airlines Y-class and my travel experience in Port Dickson.

Introduction
Located in the state of Negeri Sembilan about 60km South of Kuala Lumpur, Port Dickson or simply known as ''PD" is a popular beach destination among Malaysian particularly for a short weekend getaway. It was originally known as "Arang" (meaning charcoal in Malay) as this coastal town used to produce many charcoal in the past. It then known as "Tanjung" which means cape in Malay when it was developed as a small port by the British during the Straits Settlement period. Eventually, it was named after Sir John Frederick Dickson, a British colonial administrator and evolved to become a booming holiday destination. PD received its nickname as the "army town of Malaysia" as it is a home to many Malaysian Army camps.

PD is also 1 of the few places that you can visit as a detour if you have many days to be spent in KL as it will only take less than 2 hours to reach there from KL city center and around 50 minutes from KLIA.

*credit photo to Lexis Hibiscus Resort

The Flight
The last attraction that we visited in Langkawi was the Buffalo Park. After that, we went straight to the airport and reached there around 6:30pm. We left our rental car at the airport's parking space and handed back its key to a representative from the car rental company. Then, we went inside to the airport terminal and made our way to MH's check-in counter for luggage drop and boarding pass collection.

We spent the rest of the time by wondering around the airport terminal and did some window shopping.

Departure flights out of LGK for that evening.

Chilling in Starbucks for few hours to kill the long waiting time.

Later we had our dinner in Marrybrown, a local Malaysian fast-food chain. I love their bun and the coleslaw!

We entered the boarding gate about 1 hour before the departure time.

30 minutes later, our flight was ready for boarding. As usual, passengers traveling with small kids or those who needed special assistance were invited to board first followed by the rest of the passengers. J-class passengers were allowed to board the aircraft anytime at their own convenience.

Airline: Malaysia Airlines
Flight: MH 1471
Origin: Langkawi
Destination: Kuala Lumpur
Departure Time: 22:50 pm
Arrival Time: 23:50 pm
Seat: 22A

Boarding was done via stairs which provided a good spotting opportunity for passengers. But strangely without a known reason, the airport staffs on the tarmac prohibited us to take any photo of our plane. Luckily, I managed to snap this shot.

Just like many other MH's domestic flights, there were 4 cabin crew on duty for this flight with 2 crew in each cabin class.

We were sitting in row 22 A-C.

Contents of the seat pocket.

Checking on the IFE. Not so many interesting stuff available for domestic flight though.

Safety demo was played on IFE screen during the pushback.

Soon, we were up in the air.

5 minutes after takeoff, the cabin crew started distributing to all passengers the MH's signature Salted Peanuts and a cup of Orange Juice.

My parents refused to have anything during this period of time, so I got 2 extra Orange Juice and Salted Peanuts from them.

The same crew walked through the cabin again to collect the trash before they disappeared into the galley. The rest of the flight went uneventful and at 23:35pm, we safely landed in KUL 15 minutes ahead of the schedule.

Making our way towards baggage collection.

It didnt take long for all our luggage to arrive. Minutes later, we were already out of the terminal and took the Grab car to go back home.

Last edited by airways91; Feb 8, 2018 at 4:46 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks so far, looking forward to more. Never saw a report about Port Dickson before
airways91 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

DAY 1

The next Saturday was the day that we went to Port Dickson for a weekend trip. I went there with my friend who is also my officemate.

There are few ways for you to get to Port Dickson from KL:

1) Driving on your own
2) Take a bus from TBS station to Port Dickson. Alternatively, you also can take a bus to Seremban (capital city of Negeri Sembilan) and then change to another bus or take a cab to Port Dickson.
3) Ride the KTM train from KL Sentral or Old KL Train Station to Seremban and take a bus or cab to Port Dickson.
4) Ride a cab, Uber or Grab from KL or KLIA straight to Port Dickson.

We chose to drive on our own as that was the most convenient method to get to PD for us. I left my house which located in the suburb of KL early in the morning to pick up my friend at his house in Mont' Kiara. It is advisable for you to start your journey early in the morning to avoid bad traffic.

We used the North-South Expressway in the direction to Seremban, then we took an exit at the Seremban-Port Dickson Highway that leads directly to Port Dickson town.

Passing the old Sungai Besi/Simpang airport, the first airport for Kuala Lumpur.

It was a smooth journey and we reached Port Dickson in the afternoon. The first thing that we did upon our arrival was finding a good place to have lunch. We had our lunch at this restaurant called "Cowboy Place" which recommended by many websites. The most interesting thing about this restaurant is its decoration which features a Cowboy theme.

The Cowboy Place Restaurant is famous for its Nasi Kukus (steamed White Rice) and Ayam Panggang (grilled Chicken).

The Chickens were marinated with some spices and cooked on the charcoal grill.

Which part would you prefer? Drumsticks, wings or a whole Chicken?

We ordered 1 whole Chicken meal set which consists of a whole grilled Chicken (we asked the staff to cut it to several pieces), White Rice, 2 bowl of soups and the restaurant's signature dipping sauce. The Chicken was ok but the dipping sauce was not into my liking as it tasted quite sweet. I also had a stick of Fish Balls as an extra dish.

And a huge jug of fresh Watermelon Juice to go along with the meals. It was so refreshing especially under Port Dickson's hot, sunny weather.

After we finished our lunch, we hit the road again and made our way to the hotel that we booked for a night, the Avillion Admiral Cove. The hotel provided an ample complimentary parking space to all its guests. We went to the lobby for check-in and collected our room's key.

Nice view from the hotel's lobby.

Our bedroom.

Bathroom.

This room also came with a balcony with a nice view of the hotel's marina and the beach.

After we unpacked our stuffs and had some good rest, we went out from the hotel to visit some points of interest and landmarks available in PD. Prior to this visit, I never visited any interesting places in PD other than the beaches and the seafood restaurants. Thus, I was so excited to check out all these attractions for the very first time.

The first attraction that we visited was the "Pusat Ikan Hiasan Port Dickson" or Port Dickson Ornamental Fish Center. It is located in a secluded small village at the Northern end of Teluk Kemang Beach. Getting to this fish center, however, can be quite challenging due to the poor and small road signs. You might need a help from Waze or Google Maps for that.

PD Ornamental Fish Center is not a typical aquarium-type of attraction that you may have visited such as Underwater World or Aquaria. It is actually a marine conservation facility run by the Malaysian Department of Fisheries that promotes the ornamental fish industry particularly marine fishes, seahorses, turtles and coral reefs. Besides, it also acts as a research and breeding center for all these marine creatures. Public is welcomed to visit this fish center everyday.

Located outdoor of the fish center is a turtle conservation area where visitors can have a closer look towards various species of turtles that placed in the plastic tanks.

Visitors are allowed to take photos (without a flash) of the turtles, but touching and feeding this gentle animal are strictly prohibited.

Green Turtle.

Hawksbill Turtle.

And the indoor exhibition consists of several aquariums that contained various kinds of colorful ornamental fishes and other marine creatures.

Nemo (Clownfish).

A Zebra Moray Eel.

There is also a dedicated area that serves as an incubator for many newly-born marine life such as baby Clownfish, Prawns, Sea Horses, Corals and even baby Turtles.

Black Sea Cucumbers.

Giant Freshwater Prawns.

Colorful Sea Corals.

This Ornamental Fish Center is definitely worth a visit if you are in PD and I wouldnt mind to visit it again someday on the future. After all, its admission is totally free! We spent about an hour at the Ornamental Fish Centre before we left the place to visit the next attraction.

As we was about to leave the fish center, we saw an Air Asia X A330-300 aircraft flying low above us. A low-flying aircraft like this is not something unusual to be seen in PD as the KL International Airport is just an hour away from here.
Fredrik74 likes this.

Last edited by airways91; Feb 13, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks so far, looking forward to more. Never saw a report about Port Dickson before
Thanks for your support. More interesting parts are coming
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

The next attraction that we visited was the Port Dickson Army Museum, a place that I was really looking forward to visit as I have heard and read many positives reviews about it. The best part is that the entrance fee to this large museum complex is completely free!

Known as "Muzium Tentera Darat" in local language, the PD Army Museum is located in SiRusa Army Camp about 7km from PD town. Opened in year 2005, the museum highlights the roles and major events that involved the Royal Malaysian Army since its inception to the present day.

The exhibition are divided into several galleries located in 2 separate huge buildings based on the chronological events of the nation's army history. The galleries in the 1st building exhibit the history, information and many military-related collections from the era of ancient Malay kingdom to the period of Western colonization of the country.

Malaccan Sultanate era.

Dutch era.

Entering the British era.

Vintage posters encouraging local youths to serve their country by becoming an army.

And the galleries which located in the 2nd building focusing on the historical events that happened during the Japanese invasion and the period of time known as "Malayan Emergency" where the country (back then known as "Malaya") was facing a threat from the Communist party. There is also a gallery that shows the roles of Malaysian army on the modern day such as its contributions in UN peacekeeping missions.

A thought-provoking mural depicting the gruesome reality of living in the Malayan Emergency.

I stumbled across this tunnel when exiting 1 of the exhibition galleries.

This hidden tunnel is actually a mock-up of the actual underground tunnel that once used by the Malayan Communist Party when they terrorized the country during the Malayan Emergency.

The tunnel is quite long and there are many old items belonged to the Communist party displayed along the way.

Operation room.

A meeting room.

After came out from the secret tunnel, I started to explore the outdoor exhibition of the museum which was equally interesting. There are various military vehicles that used by the Malaysian Armed Forces in the past such as aircraft, helicopters, tanks and even a missile launcher on display.

A vintage locomotive train.

An artillery gun located near the museum's entrance.

Tanks.

A DHC-4 Caribou aircraft.

Visitors are allowed to enter into some of the planes and helicopters on display.

Standing at the center of the museum's courtyard is this strikingly-tall obelisk that pretty much resembles the National Monument in Washington DC.

This obelisk is actually a memorial monument dedicated to the glorious dead of Malaysian Armed Forces.

Surrounded the tall obelisk are 5 shorter marble obelisk that bear the names of the fallen heroes who died when in service with the Malaysian Armed Forces.

We wished we could stay much longer in this amazing museum, but sadly we were just minutes away from its closing time. We left PD Army Museum and headed for our next attraction of the day.

Wildlife attraction: Checked!
Historical attraction: checked!
What next? A beach attraction!

My friend and I then made our way to the Teluk Kemang Beach which located close to PD town. The Teluk Kemang Beach or known as "Pantai Teluk Kemang" among locals is undeniably the most famous and happening beach in Port Dickson.

Here, you can find various watersports activities available such as jet skiing, wind surfing, sailing, kayaking and fishing. There are also many number of food, souvenirs and local handicrafts stalls located along the beach.

Banana boats.

PD in general, is a family-oriented destination. Most people who come here are local visitors looking for activities that suitable for their kids and the whole family. Hence, you wouldnt find any fun and wild activities available on PD beaches and its town (clubs, bars,etc) except in some hotels and resorts. It is highly recommended for tourists to visit PD on the weekdays or during the non-school holidays to escape from the big crowd and receiving more privacy.

My friend and I were sitting in 1 food stall where we had some light refreshments while relaxing and observing the various activities happening on the beach.

Mango & Coconut Shakes. They were so refreshing!

We stayed at the beach until it was almost dinner time. We drove our car to this eating place called "Medan Ikan Bakar MPPD", which located about 8km from the Teluk Kemang Beach.

This place consists of several food stalls serving Ikan Bakar (Grilled Fish) and many other types of fresh seafoods at affordable price. Half of the building structure was built on the sea and it gives the impression that the whole place seems like floating.

It also offers a very stunning and picturesque view of PD bay during sunset.

Evening in Port Dickson. Beautiful!

We settled down in 1 of the stalls (couldnt remember exactly which 1) and ordered some foods available from the menu.

Our dinner on that evening consisted of Tom Yum Soup, Fried Eggs, Stir-Fried Clams with Chillies, Deep-Fried Squids and a Grilled Fish. The Grilled Fish came to our table a bit later, so we didnt take any photo of it. The Squids were really nice!

After dinner, we went back to the hotel and took a nice dip in the hotel's swimming pool. Then, we returned to our room to get a good rest that we truly deserved.
nequine likes this.

Last edited by airways91; Feb 22, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
What great photos! This is a very interesting trip report!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I wouldn´t have expected such a museum there. But if I re-read the beginning of your report it makes absolutely sense.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Nice report! It’s always interesting to find out about other locations in SE Asia out of the normal tourist loops.

I’m always amused by some of the westernized businesses in Asia. We all know Kentucky Fried Chicken, but Kentucky Dairy?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
That Cowboy restaurant looks so good!! Nice trip report, thank you for sharing ^
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

DAY 2

We woke up from sleep very early and went down to the hotel's "Traders Food Shop Coffee House" for breakfast. To our dismay, the coffee house was so packed with guests to the extend that there was not even a single table available for us. We had to wait to be seated for almost 30 minutes. Finally, the cafe's staff informed us that our table was ready and we started to take foods from the wide-spread of buffet. The buffet was fantastic with wide selections of local and international cuisines.

After breakfast, we were looking for some interesting things to do at the hotel. Among the activities available in Avillion Admiral Cove are fish feeding, pontoon walk, flying-fox, sailing, and kayaking. The price for the fish feeding and pontoon walk is RM3 and RM5 per adult respectively. Both activities are available 5 times in a day.

We were required to inform the lifeguard at the swimming pool where the lifeguard then would be acted as our guide for these activities. Our guide aka Mr lifeguard provided a life jacket and lead us to the hotel's marina where a shoal of hungry fish were waiting for their feast. We were given a loaf of white bread to feed the fish.

Our guide demonstrating the "proper way" to feed the fish.

I thrown 1 slice of bread into the water and it was finished within few seconds.

The guide caught 1 fish with his hand to show us its features.

The fish enjoying their sumptuous meal. Some of them are really huge!

The next thing that we did was the pontoon walk.

It was actually a simple activity where we walked on the pontoon and took a closer look to all the luxury sailing boats and private yachts that docked at the hotel's marina. While walking, our guide shared some interesting info about the marina and its facilities.

The marina provides some repairing, washing and refueling services to every boat and yacht that stopped over here.

After we completed the fish feeding and pontoon walk activities, we returned back to the hotel and walked towards the beach which located about 5 minutes from there. I didnt pick up the name of the beach but I can tell you that it was quite secluded and definitely less crowded than the Teluk Kemang Beach. We were strolling and chilling at the beach for about 20 minutes before we returned back to our room and packed all our belongings. We checked-out from the hotel around 12:30pm.

We drove our car and went to this bundle shop as my friend wanted to check out some good bundle items for his next vacation. We ended up bought nothing.

We got into our car again and started to drive towards KL. We chose the road that will be passing Lukut town. While driving, we saw many cars stopped at this stall which located at the side of the road and we decided to join the crowd. We soon learned that most people came to this stall to taste its signature Cendol, a cold dessert that contains green-coloured rice flour jelly in a coconut milk and sweetened with a palm sugar syrup. The other hot-selling item in this stall is its Coconut Shake.

We ordered 2 bowls of Cendol and 1 Coconut Shake. Besides Cendol and shake, this stall also serves other types of local foods and snacks as well.

We continued our journey and before we reached Lukut town, we stopped for lunch at 1 local restaurant called "Kulit Kayu Manis" which serves variety of authentic cuisines from the state of Negeri Sembilan.

We left the restaurant and drove towards our last attraction in PD, the Lukut Fort & Museum. Lukut is a historic town in PD where its history can be traced as early as 19th century when the area (back then under the state of Selangor) was established as a tin mining and trading center.

The Lukut Museum is housed in this beautiful 2-storey building which was once the residence of the district officer. It exhibits the history, information and artifacts relating to Lukut's tin mining industry in its glory days.

The map of peninsular Malaysia with the exact location of Lukut.

Some of the artifacts belonged to the miners that unearthed during excavations.

Going up to the 2nd floor.

The gallery on the 2nd floor displays the history, customs and traditions of the state of Negeri Sembilan.

A traditional costume for Negeri Sembilanese lady.

We got out from the museum and went through the outdoor exhibition which located on the grounds.

An old bronze cannon.

This cannon was actually belonged to 1 of 2 Portuguese ships which sunk in the Battle of Cape Rachado (Tanjung Tuan) in year 1606.

A traditional long boat.

Then, it was the time to check out the Lukut Fort. Also known as "Kota Lukut", the fort was built by a Bugis prince named Raja Jumaat in 1847 as a strong fortification to control his monopoly in the tin mining industry. It is located on top of this hill known as "Bukit Gajah Mati" (Dead Elephant Hill). My friend refused to climb the stairs as he felt exhausted, so I had to go up to this hill all by myself.

Cool view from the top of the hill.

It is said that the fort was about 200m long and 170m wide surrounded by a 5m deep moat with sharpened bamboo stakes to protect it from the enemy. Few remains of the ancient site such as the walls, moat and wells can be seen till this day.

You need to walk much further to find all those remains.

But it was quite eerie for being alone up here, so I quickly left that place and went down to look for my friend.

We left the historical site in the late of afternoon and we continued our journey to go back home. That marked the end of our weekend trip in Port Dickson.

Thank you so much for taking your time to read my trip report. Any comments and feedback would be highly appreciated!

Last edited by airways91; Feb 25, 2018 at 8:56 pm
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
What great photos! This is a very interesting trip report!
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoyed reading the report.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
I wouldn´t have expected such a museum there. But if I re-read the beginning of your report it makes absolutely sense.
It is a very interesting museum.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Nice report! It’s always interesting to find out about other locations in SE Asia out of the normal tourist loops.

I’m always amused by some of the westernized businesses in Asia. We all know Kentucky Fried Chicken, but Kentucky Dairy?
Thank you. Trust me, there are a lot more attractions in this part of the world that rarely featured on the medias and even in the guide books!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
That Cowboy restaurant looks so good!! Nice trip report, thank you for sharing ^
Thanks and not a prob! I feel happy to share my travel experiences with all of you.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What are the hotel options like in Port Dickson? I've been impressed by the choice of hotels in Kuala Lumpur, but was surprised at the lack of branded hotels in Malacca and Georgetown in Penang.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.