Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

3 for the price of 2? RTW Babymoon to Japan, Maldives, UK (JL/EY/LH J/F/Apartment)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 for the price of 2? RTW Babymoon to Japan, Maldives, UK (JL/EY/LH J/F/Apartment)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by milesaddict
Fantastic Report !
The beef make me hungry !

I'm looking forward to reading your adventure in MLE.
Seeing pictures of that steak makes my mouth water. I was thinking of throwing a prime steak on the grill this week, but I need a little more time separation from Dons de la Nature in order for it to not taste like USDA Select rubber

There's probably another 2-3 posts before getting to MLE. Thanks for following.

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
Were you able to make the reservation yourself via telephone or did concierge at the Hilton do so? It looks delicious and something I'd like to try ^
I asked the concierge to make the booking by sending an email to the hotel prior to arrival. It was the same last year when I stayed at the Conrad.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:16 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by chongl
Thank you, FlyingDoctorwu. We are also hoping to squeeze in a trip next spring that was in the works before we found out about the baby. Here's to hoping we can adapt and handle the new challenges ahead!

I didn't pay much attention to the bourbon as I was solely focused on the Japanese stuff. What kind of bottles are you on the lookout for?
Oh not looking for anything in particular. Just some mythical bars that have unicorn bottles of Van Winkle (not the stuff you see over here), AH Hirsch, old dusties and etc. just whispers of these places whose proprietors came over during the 80s and 90s and loaded up in Stitzel Weller bottling.

I see you went to Hasegawa. Did you do any sampling while there?

Fdw
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
How many bottles did you bring home ?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Oh not looking for anything in particular. Just some mythical bars that have unicorn bottles of Van Winkle (not the stuff you see over here), AH Hirsch, old dusties and etc. just whispers of these places whose proprietors came over during the 80s and 90s and loaded up in Stitzel Weller bottling.

I see you went to Hasegawa. Did you do any sampling while there?

Fdw
There was one bar suggested to me in Shinjuku that I never made it to. I think it was Zoetrope?

I didn't do any sampling at Hasegawa. It crossed my mind both times we were there, but we ended up spending only about 5 minutes there (browse, grab bottle, and leave).

Originally Posted by MarkCron
How many bottles did you bring home ?
8 between my buddy and I in Japan. From that share 5 were mine. I brought back 6 more bottles (3 of these were mine) from Paris and London for a total of 14 between us .
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
What a fantastic read so far. Beautiful pictures as well. I intend to return to Japan sometime this year so you have given me some spots to hit. Eagerly waiting the next installments!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:33 am

Dude! I can't believe this is you! We were the couple departing the Conrad with you at the same time (the Egyptian couple).. remember us? If you need an extra reminder, we sat right next to you on the Seaplane back to Male!

Small freaking world.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Next morning, we went to the 2nd floor for breakfast. The Hilton Tokyo offers a choice of either the buffet spread, or a traditional Japanese breakfast. The latter requires reservation the day before, with seatings at 7AM, 8AM, and 9AM. We wanted to switch it up and try something new, and this was the perfect answer. On arrival, we were the only 3 guests around, and that situation did not change when we got up to leave. I can only assume the later time slots are more popular, or we were complete suckers.

Empty counters

Some hot tea to start

Quickly followed by an onslaught of dishes

Dessert of fresh watermelon

The food was quite good, and if it weren't so late in the week, I would have made another reservation just to have some variety from the daily buffet grind. For those who want to self-serve, the buffet does have offerings of steamed rice, miso soup, grilled fish, and numerous condiments that get you close to the Japanese breakfast.

We reserved Shinkansen tickets for a slightly later train today. As I alluded to in the last post, we were headed back to the distillery. First order of business was to visit the gift shop which closed on us earlier in the week. Waiting on the platform at Tokyo Station AGAIN. The 10 train stop ride was starting to wear on me. While it is an efficient form of transportation, the walk through the tunnels and the corresponding head bobbing during the ride got old quickly.

Pretty good speed

Some scenery on the way

Being that we were no longer noobs to the Kyoto platforms, we were able to avoid the special rapid service this time and get on the proper train. 12:09 arrival it is!

Alighting at Yamazaki Station, where we should've gotten off last time

There is no way to get lost and miss the distillery. Signs are plastered all over and it is almost a straight shot once you exit.

But first, stopping by the convenience store for a quick lunch.

It would be a 10 minute walk to the distillery

And back again, sans the rain!

The guard rails frequently come down, and more trains come by than you would expect. The buzzer started going off as I snapped this picture, and the rails had just gone up less than a minute prior

We checked in at reception just to get our visitor lanyards. For ladies who are pregnant or nursing, you will get a pink lanyard (forgot to mention this last time). Then it was off to the small museum before hitting the gift shop.

In hindsight, I should have rushed to the gift shop since I got there just in time to see someone we had passed on the walk over pay for a bottle of Hibiki 17. When I inquired at the counter, I was told no more. It seems like they have an allocation per day, but all I know is that I failed miserably and it was entirely preventable. Instead, I grabbed a pair of nosing glasses and head back to the tasting counter. Might as well get some good whisky while we're here...the lineup was less extravagant this time around

The tasting counter bar setup

My choices for the day

With some nice pristine water of Yamazaki

Served neat only

Once we finished up, we walked back to Yamazaki Station for a few stops to Osaka. The plan was to go to a few more liquor stores and walk the Kuromon Ichiba market. We struck out at KawasakiYa, a store just around the corner from the market. So onwards we went to get an afternoon snack.

More takoyaki

Yakisoba

Oknomiyaki...sort of a Japanese pancake

Refueled, the hunt continued, but unsuccessfully. A Donki we went to...

Some more Osaka

Once we were done roaming, we went to Osaka Station and got our train tickets switched to an earlier departure. This also allowed us to leave straight from where we were rather than heading back to Kyoto. While on the train, a quick check of Rokurinsha showed that they didn't close until 11PM. With our train arriving back in Tokyo just before 10, this gave us a chance to experience a second establishment at ramen street. Rokurinsha, serving tsukemen, or dipping ramen, is the most popular of the shops and frequently has a line extending out the door. It was time for a taste...

The menu...all in at 1060 JPY!

And the delicious bowl to fill us up

From there, another 10 dreaded stops back to Shinjuku, followed by a short walk back to Hilton Tokyo. The moon was lighting our 1 block trek back from the metro station

Next up...last full day, so we don't do crap until late afternoon, with a quick stop at Meiji Shrine, yakitori, and Shibuya before ending a fun filled week.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bj27
What a fantastic read so far. Beautiful pictures as well. I intend to return to Japan sometime this year so you have given me some spots to hit. Eagerly waiting the next installments!
Thank you, bj27. I would love to go back again to eat some more for sure! Maybe next time I can focus my time further south and use Kyoto/Osaka as home base for exploring.

Originally Posted by machvista
Dude! I can't believe this is you! We were the couple departing the Conrad with you at the same time (the Egyptian couple).. remember us? If you need an extra reminder, we sat right next to you on the Seaplane back to Male!

Small freaking world.
Definitely! I was wondering if there would be any FTers there. It's a shame we didn't run into each other until the last day though. I assume you guys are back home in DFW? We rushed through security at MLE and got to the gate only to find that boarding hadn't started. We saw the other couple that had a similar departure time airside, so we all made it out on our flights ^
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Your LH44 shirt would offend me if he wasn't getting his Backside handed to him by Ferrari this year....... ::::toto wolf slamming hand on table::::

Amazing trip report.......I'm dying to try real a5.....
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

For the last day, we were tired from the week of walking and traveling between cities. We opted to relax in the room for the majority of the morning, and did some preliminary packing. Since we were continuing on to the Maldives, where alcohol is not allowed (with the exception being the resorts), our friend would have to bring back the entire score. With some bubble wrap and creative cushioning with clothes, this is what he was tasked to carry back safely:

It was about 4PM or so before we left the hotel, with a quick stop at Meiji Shrine to sneak in at least one landmark/attraction. It was especially hot and humid that day, so we didn't spend much time there. Getting our fix of yakitori was more important anyway

The entrance

Walking in

A fountain

Looking around

The husband and wife trees

First stop was at Tori Tamura, which was conveniently across the way from a liquor shop. The latter was unplanned, but we went inside and didn't see anything of interest anyway.

Outside

Ready to chow

Skewers at the ready

On the grill

First batch had a light miso sauce on top

Followed by meatballs

And more skewers

Ending with some veggies

Emerging at sundown, we weren't quite full and wanted to try a different place.

Luckily, we found a place that looked promising just around the corner

Starting with some beer and greens

No colon or rectum for me please

Bacon

And some more chicken

We were literally standing on the side of the alleyway, with a stack of crates acting as our table. It really didn't matter since we were gone within 10 to 15 minutes of arriving. Quite a few locals were enjoying a meal here, so hopefully the experience was just as authentic as Tori Tamura!

From there, it was on to our very last stop: Shibuya. The Fukutoshin line took us exactly where we wanted to be

Watching the busy intersection

Wandering around

We passed the ramen place we went to last year until we found a McDonalds. The wife wanted some french fries, so I was sure not to deny her. A picture while waiting with the AC blasting

Further along, there was a place that sold some beef skewers. After the chicken and pork, we were really in the mood for some beef. This guy was making a killing based on his prices and the amount of traffic we saw come through

Cooking

And....done!

The beef was consumed quickly and the stroll continued in Shibuya. We came across one last Donki where we walked through not just for whisky, but for some snacks to take with us. Some chocolate, kit kat, and BOSS coffee were purchased, and we decided to call it a night. Thank you, Tokyo, for the amazing week!

Up next: Narita Express to NRT, more kit kat, Narita TraveLounge, and EY F
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
Your LH44 shirt would offend me if he wasn't getting his Backside handed to him by Ferrari this year....... ::::toto wolf slamming hand on table::::

Amazing trip report.......I'm dying to try real a5.....
It's nice to see some competition this year rather than the constant 1-2. Time to grab some Vettel gear I suppose
Old Aug 6, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by chongl
It's nice to see some competition this year rather than the constant 1-2. Time to grab some Vettel gear I suppose
Can't wait to see if Verstappen goes to Ferrari
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

We woke up and had one last breakfast at the buffet downstairs. Our friend was taking the friendly airport limousine to Haneda at 10AM, whereas our Narita Express train didn't depart until 1:40PM from Shinjuku.

Our request for late checkout was denied due to the next guests arriving at 2PM. With that in mind, we figured we would just head towards Shinjuku around noon. I had wanted to squeeze in one last bowl of ramen at Menya Musashi or Menyo Sho, but with the clock against us and the wife in no mood to walk in the heat, it was not worth the hassle. After checking out, I lugged our overweight bag through the underground passageways toward the Maranouchi line, where it would be just one stop before alighting. Once we got to the platform, impatience kicked in and I walked out to change our Narita Express tickets to the 12:40PM train instead.

Arriving at the terminal

I did mention I wanted another bowl of ramen, right? Well, check-in wasn't open yet, but the food court was. I didn't expect much, but Kagetsu Arashi had a pretty decent bowl

Unfortunately, the AC didn't quite keep up with the heat and humidity. I made a quick dash outside to the observation deck only to find Delta planes as far as I could see

The Queen

When we returned to the check-in area, the agents were just starting to open up

Etihad used to use the ANA J lounge, but I guess they opted not to renew the contract. We were given passes to the Narita TraveLounge instead

Heading through security

On the other side, we walked through duty free and saw nothing interesting (read: whisky) so we continued on towards our gate. We purchased some Royce chocolate before coming across this lovely shop had some Kit-Kat flavors we'd not seen anywhere else,

Entrance to the TraveLounge

You only had to pay if you purchased a pass for entrance. The voucher we received ensured everything was complementary

Food counter

Up close

Drinks

I was torn between curry and beef bowl, but the latter won out. A highball to accompany

The lounge filled up as we inched towards departure time

At T-10, we head to the gate where our 787-9 was awaiting

There was no separate call for first class, and all the business passengers had already started a queue. This seemed to be the case throughout the trip. Once down the jetbridge, we made the left turn and settled into our suites. I did get asked multiple times if I was a blogger since I was holding my camera, to which I responded "sort of?" in the event that FT trip reports count.

I always end up on the right side of the Mrs.

Storage space under the leg rest, similar to the area under the bench on the Apartments

PDB

Amenity Kit

Controls...very similar to the Apartment

The menu for the next 10 hours

Unchilled drinks just an arm's length away

Time of course passes by instantly at the front, so we were taxiing and up and away before we knew it. There was an open window seat in 1A I inquired about prior to departure since I wanted to take some pictures/video during taxi and takeoff. I was told that I would notified if the seat was empty once boarding completed, but they didn't remember until we were airborne. The FA I asked realized once he saw me again with camera in hand, walking towards 1A after the seatbelt sign was turned off.

A quick snack before meal time

Dining in the wife's suite

For dinner, I chose the king prawn as the appetizer, while splitting the Arabic mezze. The gargantuan portions on Emirates scares me away from having one myself nowadays. Just seeing the word mezze gives me flashbacks of the FA taking away what seems like an untouched serving.

Cleanser

For the main, I opted for the chef's special which was chicken breast with soy sauce, spring vegetables, and potatoes. Pretty good, but nothing spectacular

She always gets the fish, so halibut it is. I'm amazed how her fish choices always end up paying off in the sky...

Green tea "textures" for dessert and orange cake

Once dinner service completed, I asked to have my bed made. I accepted the offer of a wakeup call for breakfast or a snack prior to landing, which would be roughly 2 hours before touchdown. I ended up waking up about 40 minutes prior to landing, with no chance to wolf down an Etihad steak sandwich. The Mrs., however, was cleaning the crumbs off her plate while groggy me tried to assess what time it was. Some obvious lapses in service, but at least I did end up well rested.

On approach to Abu Dhabi

We disembarked close to midnight. The original plan was to exit security and get a hotel room to spend the night. The wife was starting to have mobility issues, so she preferred to pay a bit more to stay at the airside hotel, but it was all booked until the wee hours of the morning. Given that we had gone through the hassle of security screening already, we continued on towards the F lounge instead.

Once checked in, we made a beeline to the nap room and dropped off our backpacks. I scheduled a massage for myself and a facial for Eve to start right away. The masseur really hit the spot working on my neck and shoulders. For the first time, the allotted 15 minutes felt LONGER than it seemed. With that done, I figured it'd be best to eat, and try to get some R&R until the morning.

The rest of the lounge

Cigar lounge

Looking towards the enclosed rest area

Downsized menu compared to last year

Scallops...delicious

Ravioli

Beef loin...and bit dry and bland. Are they sure this was cooked sous vide?

Vanilla ice cream

Anddd fruit plate

With the more limited selection now, there is a small self-serve area with small bites as well

The lounge service was starting to wind down as the early morning departures were trickling out. We decided to head back towards the nap room to get whatever rest we could manage. The seats were very comfortable and able to fully recline. I'm not sure why they have a dark room with a bright screen showing vibrant images, but I struggled to sleep and woke up fairly often. The room itself seems much colder than the rest of the lounge, and even with a blanket, it was a bit chilly. By sprinkling in some photo editing and internet browsing, I was able to pass the time until sunrise.

Next up: Breakfast in the lounge, buses to the gates, and arriving in Male
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Shortly after 6AM, the lounge slowly came back to life. We took a table by the window as darkness was replaced by a hazy view. The breakfast offerings also seem to be downsized, and similar for dinner, a small self-serve counter was filled with pastries and other items.

Pastrami

Eggs Benedict and waffles

I had a cigar to pass some more time before we head to the gate where buses awaited to take us to the remote stand

Interestingly enough, the front bus was for business class passengers and was outfitted with more seats, whereas the economy bus was mostly standing room....not that I'm complaining!

Some plane spotting

And boarding...

Comfy seating for the 4 hour journey

Basic seat controls

The menu

Warmed nuts

Fruit plate

The second breakfast, which was pretty satisfying

On approach to MLE

Immigration fast track, not that we needed them since we walked into an empty customs area. After touching down, we had to back taxi since there was only a single runway. Apparently all the construction going on was to add to a second runway

Grabbing our baggage

A Conrad agent was holding a sign as we exited the airport who escorted us to the seaplane check-in. After getting all our bags weighed, we hopped into a van for a 10 minute ride around the airport to their dedicated lounge

A nice area with AC, electrical ports, and a view of the seaplanes

Also a very limited selection of food

More seaplanes coming in from the resorts

It seemed like an eternity, but we were finally escorted down to the "terminal" for boarding. The pilots went through their checklists, taxied, and had us airborne wearing just flip flops...quite a contrast from all the previous flights

Arriving at the Conrad Maldives Rangali Island

We were greeted by our awesome host, Mahmoud, and led to an air-conditioned room while our bags were offloaded. A slurpee/icee (can't remember the flavor) was provided as a refreshment

We then walked the bridge to the main reception area where the resort details were provided. We would be staying 6 nights, with the final 4 nights in a deluxe water villa. As we finished up and got handed our keys, we were notified of a free upgrade to a deluxe beach villa for our first 2 nights

Chocolates

Private plunge pool

Each villa has direct beach access, with a complete lounging set up. It was quite an awesome experience, but we didn't make use of it much on the first night. We just wanted to say in the room, eat, and sleep in an actual bed, so a pizza was ordered instead of heading to one of the restaurants. I did peak outside for this gorgeous sunset view though.

Internet speeds are great and coverage is good across the majority of the resort. I had no problems uploading a bunch of pictures and video

More Conrad Maldives in the next post...
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

I had the best beef Strogonoff in my life in Tokyo.

The steak looks like it has a lot of fat. I hope to go to back to Japan and have noted this. Looks wonderful. However I read it's about $300 per person?

As to Ethihad I read they lost a lot of money this year. It was really dumb to have invested in Alitalia and Air Berlin. Swissair did the same dumb things investing in Sabena.

Last edited by Bretteee; Aug 20, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.