Three Days In Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Three Days In Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Another amazing trip report, Daniel. Great photos and it looks like you had a great time in Mexico City! I'd love to visit sometime - I've been to Mexico before, but never Mexico City.

Looking forward to the next part.
Old May 1, 2017, 8:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DanielW

Many thanks, gaobest. So thankful I got my phone back. I had only had it less than a month and would have been lost without it! I now make sure to zip my phone up in my camera bag now, and not just having it loose in my pocket.
Yes, it was great catching up with Madone59 and have a real San Diegan show me round .
I was relieved that US immigration was a non-event, I guess us Kiwi's are pretty harmless after all. Next TR is off to Havana.
Originally Posted by miuk
Awesome trip report, I enjoyed it. Luckily you were able to keep your iphone.
When I was in Mexico City earlier in the year, a member of our group did end up getting his iPhone pickpocketed, except it was in the subway. As much as it's a touristy mantra, do really be proactive about valuables in subways, markets, crowded streets, etc....petty crimes happens to even the most seasoned travelers.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
This report is excellent. I have been to CDMX (Ciudad de Mexico) a few times. It is like New York - similar in population and neighborhood-iness vibe. The advantage of its accessibility from the US and cheap food, accommodation, and great people is why I absolutely love CDMX.
The only funny story is that I was searched in secondary inspection entering Mexico once (I was entering from Honduras) because my Honduran coffee was wrapped in duct tape and plastic in the form of bricks. That caused a lot of questions. Haha
Old May 1, 2017, 9:58 pm

Another great report!

I went to Mexico last summer and went to many of the same places you did (Teotihuacan, Casa Azul, Arena Mexico, et al) but did it solo rather than any tours. It's nice to see a report of somewhat familiar places.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Lovely report with amazing shots as always, DanielW... ^
Old May 2, 2017, 1:44 am

Programs: SQ Gold, VA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Diamond
Thank you for another wonderful report. I always read your reports with gusto, especially those from really exotic places, and your great photographs.

I just wanted to point out that turkeys are not called Turquia in Spanish. Turquia is Turkey, the country. Turkeys, the animals, are called pavos.

Which now makes me wonder about all the other local language words above your pics in the other reports...
Old May 2, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Very enjoyable report, thanks^
Old May 2, 2017, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
You should be a travel journalist. Absolutely superb report. I now have a craving for enchiladas con salsa verde
Many thanks, ACYYZ/SD. A travel writer/photographer would really be a dream job! I had cravings for decent Mexican food after I returned to Dubai too, still searching for a place that sells pulque here though.
Originally Posted by cargasm66
Great report! I'm headed to Mexico City next week, where did you book your tours?
Thanks, cargasm66. I booked the tours here. I used a 10% discount code for the first link (THANKSS), not sure if it still works though.
http://www.urbanadventures.com/count...&s-country=267
http://saboresmexicofoodtours.com/centro-historico/
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Thanks for posting another fantastic trip report!
Thank you, FlyForFun. I’m really glad I took the effort to go a few days early and see some of Mexico City rather than just do daytrip to Tijuana.
Originally Posted by varkey
Thanks for posting. Very nice pictures, looks very colorful and welcoming. I will likely visit for work in a few months, look forward to it.
Cheers, varkey. Hopefully you get see and enjoy some of this very vibrant and beautiful city too.
Originally Posted by miuk
Awesome trip report, I enjoyed it. Luckily you were able to keep your iphone.
Thank you, miuk. Thankfully luck and a bit of wits was on my side that day, was so close to losing it!
Originally Posted by 757
Another amazing trip report, Daniel. Great photos and it looks like you had a great time in Mexico City! I'd love to visit sometime - I've been to Mexico before, but never Mexico City.
Looking forward to the next part.
Many thanks, 757. Yes, definitely recommend stopping by Mexico City. I think the flights are pretty regular and reasonably cheap from the US, so could probably do a long weekend visit very easily.
Originally Posted by JY1024
When I was in Mexico City earlier in the year, a member of our group did end up getting his iPhone pickpocketed, except it was in the subway. As much as it's a touristy mantra, do really be proactive about valuables in subways, markets, crowded streets, etc....petty crimes happens to even the most seasoned travelers.
Thank you,JY1024. It was my first time being pickpocketed so was totally caught off guard. ‘Once bitten, twice shy’ and now I am a lot more vigilant.
Originally Posted by HALA330
This report is excellent. I have been to CDMX (Ciudad de Mexico) a few times. It is like New York - similar in population and neighborhood-iness vibe. The advantage of its accessibility from the US and cheap food, accommodation, and great people is why I absolutely love CDMX.
The only funny story is that I was searched in secondary inspection entering Mexico once (I was entering from Honduras) because my Honduran coffee was wrapped in duct tape and plastic in the form of bricks. That caused a lot of questions. Haha
Thank you, HALA330. I visited NYC soon after and can definitely see the comparison. Very reasonable prices with the low peso at the moment too, would love to head back. Taking in a plastic-wrapped brick of coffee must have definitely caught their eye!
Originally Posted by boyerling3
Another great report!
I went to Mexico last summer and went to many of the same places you did (Teotihuacan, Casa Azul, Arena Mexico, et al) but did it solo rather than any tours. It's nice to see a report of somewhat familiar places.
Thanks, boyerling3. Yes, quite a variety of things to do in Mexico City. From ancient pyramids at Teotihuacan to the muscle and spectacle at Arena Mexico! Only wished I could have stayed another day or so to see some of the things I missed.
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Lovely report with amazing shots as always, DanielW... ^
Thank you, JohnRain. Part 2 coming soon, some more of San Diego and then on to beautiful Cuba.
Originally Posted by 18hours
Thank you for another wonderful report. I always read your reports with gusto, especially those from really exotic places, and your great photographs.
I just wanted to point out that turkeys are not called Turquia in Spanish. Turquia is Turkey, the country. Turkeys, the animals, are called pavos.
Cheers, 18hours. Oops, looks like I got the wrong turkey. Will have to fix that.
Originally Posted by offerendum
Very enjoyable report, thanks^
Thanks, offerendum, a very enjoyable break and my colleagues were a little jealous after I met up with them in San Diego for the conference.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:17 am
Suspended

Great trip report. When I was in Mexico City a couple years ago I took a private car service to Teotihuacan. Just $50. But the guided tour looks nice too. Was at as hot as I remember it is? I was walking as much as possible in the shade. After a couple hours climbing each pyramid I was completely cooked, done, and ready to go home.
Old May 2, 2017, 8:43 am

Thanks for the trip report. Your photos are always so vibrant.
Old May 2, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I have been waiting for this one with bated breath

Fantastic photos DanielW, it was an absolute pleasure to show you around San Diego and repay your hospitality from my Dubai trip. I think I had more fun watching you shoot photos than you did seeing the sights
Old May 2, 2017, 8:37 pm

Excellent trip report. Looking forward to part 2.

I found it funny that you were more worried about being granted entry into the US than some of the more "hostile" countries you visited
Old May 2, 2017, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Great trip report. When I was in Mexico City a couple years ago I took a private car service to Teotihuacan. Just $50. But the guided tour looks nice too. Was at as hot as I remember it is? I was walking as much as possible in the shade. After a couple hours climbing each pyramid I was completely cooked, done, and ready to go home.
Many thanks, Dieuwer. Yes, it was pretty toasty out in the sun at Teotihuacan, even in February. It made the mezcal and tequila afterwards all the more sweeter though.
Originally Posted by mromalley
Thanks for the trip report. Your photos are always so vibrant.
Cheers, mromalley. Some more photos from Latin America coming soon:

Originally Posted by Madone59
I have been waiting for this one with bated breath
Fantastic photos DanielW, it was an absolute pleasure to show you around San Diego and repay your hospitality from my Dubai trip. I think I had more fun watching you shoot photos than you did seeing the sights
Thank you again for the looking after me on my visit to San Diego, Madone59. I'm still trying to find a place in Dubai that serves ribs half as tasty as Phil's BBQ. No luck with the Monkfish either.
Originally Posted by spark787
Excellent trip report. Looking forward to part 2.
I found it funny that you were more worried about being granted entry into the US than some of the more "hostile" countries you visited
Thanks, spark787. Yes, I was a little nervous with my travel history. Some friends from the US had assured me that I would definitely get selected for secondary screening and I was going over in my head how to best explain the reasons for travelling to Syria, Yemen etc. Thankfully it was all just worry over nothing though!
Old May 3, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Another great trip report from you.

I just love how you manage to so capture a city with the photographs you take - the ones that normally a tourist wouldn't.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report and Pictures. For what it's worth Coronado, California is where I was born.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.