Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Whirlwind World Tour: 42,339 miles in nine days (SQ, EK, TG F & LH C)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59

There nothing to write about United's service to Los Angeles, literally nothing, but I was able to grab a picture of the future home of the San Diego err' Los Angeles Chargers on the way in . Go Bolts?!

Great report! I'm still numb that the Chargers are no longer in SD, having grown up in San Diego and went to many Chargers games at the "Murph" as well as played some football games (SDSU go Azetcs) at the "Murph." What has been decided of the "MUrph"?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:31 am

Wow, looks like it was an amazing whirlwind adventure around the globe, Madone59!

Thanks again for catching up and looking forward to the rest of this first class escapade.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Off the plane and back into the reality of travel. Luckily we parked close to transit security and I breezed right through. There was a little bit of a walk, and confusion getting to the SQ lounge. Half of the people I asked for directions pointed me to Singapore flights, and the other half pointed me to Asiana lounges luckily got there quick enough to be third on the shower list ^.

Lobster Bisque....excuse me, what???

Finally the lounge

Nope

Take two...

Success

Lounge

I had just taken a seat when I was called for the shower, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found. The rooms were very clean and well stocked with amenities. As I look back this shower facility was far superior those provided in the Emirates first class lounge.

Heading back to the gate

A very different experience boarding this flight then earlier in the day in Los Angeles. The first class cabin was full down to Singapore, but that didn't change much; the big difference was the boarding of business class through door 1L and by default the first class cabin too. Having a constant stream of people heading to the back of the plane broke up the flow of the flight crew meeting and welcoming the first class passengers - luckily it didn't stop the pouring of champagne . I had requested to eat immediately after take off, skip the apatizers and dessert and then have my bed made up.

Bye Korea

The chicken - not bad, but that pepper was NOT a sweet one, it was a spicy one

After a solid four hours of sleep I got out of bed at the very last minute before landing ready for my first time in Changi

This is one part of the IFE that drove me nuts. If you wanted to use the handset, and make any adjustment you had to swipe this screen 'open'. Tinder IFE had grown old.

The Private Room awaits! Up next: TPR and SQ860 to Hong Kong

Apologies for the delay. I had to fly to New York for family and have not been near my computer

Last edited by Madone59; Jan 10, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
A very different experience boarding this flight then earlier in the day in Los Angeles. The first class cabin was full down to Singapore, but that didn't change much; the big difference was the boarding of business class through door 1L and by default the first class cabin too. Having a constant flow of people heading to the back of the plane broke up the flow of the flight crew meeting and welcoming the first class passengers
Can´t tell how much I hate this! A F-cabin is no passage
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

The Private Room and SQ860 to Hong Kong

As happy as I was being cradled in Singapore first class bliss I could not wait to get off that plane and into the airport! This was my first trip to or through SIN and its reputation proceeded it. I bound up the jet bridge like “We have so much time and so little to do. Strike that, reverse it" and headed out into the terminal.

Hello. Where is everyone? Echo echo echo... Where is the person meeting first class passengers with connections like in Frankfurt? Where is the first class golf cart like in Thailand or Hong Kong? Where do I go?

I guess I'll follow those arrival signs.

Having seen zero Silver Kris or other lounge signs I stopped at information to ask for directions, and continued my walk to Narnia

Through the woods, past grandmothers house and around the bend I had made it to the first class lounge....but I had yet to arrive.

Finally I am here

The Private Room is beautiful dotted with big comfortable chairs and lots of them.

The First Class bar TPR passengers also have access to

I was introduced to the staff, given a little tour and shown right to the showers. I figured I'd wash up before breakfast. All in all not a bad shower but I could have used a little more space. Very nice, and clean far superior to the equivalent Emirates offering in Dubai.

Smiled when I saw this on the back of the door. Must be some big Bon Jovi fans here in Singapore

Breakfast time

Really SQ?!

Awesome waffles!

Clean and full of breakfast I had plenty of time to spare so I headed out for a little walk and some exploring. The shopping was a bit high end for my wallet

I didn't go up and take a look at the options, but it smelled good from below.

Walking past the coy pond and to the butterfly garden

Butterfly garden

Checking out a few tails on the way back to the lounge where I grabbed my bags and headed to gate A4 for boarding.

My ride to Hong Kong

Seat 1A! I received a very warm welcome from the crew. They advised that today there were only 3 suites passengers and that they would happily make seat 2A my bed if I wanted to rest after lunch.

A room with a view

The crew gave me a copy the menu to review and let me know my Book The Cook chicken rice would be ready whenever I was ready to eat.

Leaving SIN

Shortly after takeoff my table was set and brunch began

A little fresh fruit before the entree

SQ's chicken rice ^

Dessert - why not!

After a wonderful brunch, which included a second serving of rice I took a little walk back to seat 2A to have a rest.

Champagne and mixed nuts before landing? Sure!

The flight was a shade under four hours and I slept for two of them so before I knew it we were touching down in Hong Kong.

Up next: 30 Hours in Hong Kong

Last edited by Madone59; Jan 20, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: Meh
Great TR. I bet you were glad to hit terra firma in HK!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu1985
Great start to your report Madone59 - can't wait to read about the rest of this amazing trip!
Thanks so much. I hope you enjoy!

Originally Posted by 2919scott
Madone59

Sounds like an amazing trip! Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report.

Aspirational trips are a lot of fun, but hard to explain to others. Back in 2010 I flew SQ's RTW F fare FEZSQ. JFK-FRA//MUC-MAN-LHR-SIN-NRT-LAX for something like $7,000. It was a blast.
That is a lot of SQ time 2919scott ! I bet it was awesome.

Originally Posted by eeflyer
What a great start! I look forward to reading the rest.

You got to meet SFO777? What a treat too. Maybe one of these days I'll meet him or other FT legends.

A quick question though: you were able to leave bags at the lounge while you walked around? That would be very convenient for plane spotting/picture taking.
Thanks eeflyer ^. SFO and I had been trying to connect for about a year, I'm just glad he moved to the left coast and made it easy on me.

LH, SQ, *A LAX and CX lounges were OK with leaving bags EK was very much not which made the return trip hurt a bit because I need a walk.

Originally Posted by Hut
Oh, wow - this looks awesome!

Looking forward to the rest.
Thanks hut ^

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
I haven't flown out of TBIT in years (I seem to only fly in for some reason) so I had no idea they were still using those remote gates. Ugh.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Serious? They use a remote bus gate for that flight? Makes me irrationally happy that my CX flight out of LAX left from a real gate attached to the real airport.

I am looking forward to your marathon of F flights though.

Ugh indeed kevincrumbs! Really unimpressive especially considering the amount of money they just put into that terminal! You should definitely be happy krazykanuck and I hope you enjoy the journey.

Originally Posted by avneeshj
This is such an amazing trip you planned. I think all of us here at FT would want to do a flying is the destination kinda trip. Subscribed and waiting for the rest.
Thanks avneeshj ^. I can't encourage people enough to do this. After the help of about 10 kind FTers to make my trip work I am happy to offer any help I can for those planning a similar adventure.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Looks like a great trip.

In all my many flights in/out of LAX TBIT, I've only had remote stands on arrival (used to happen a lot with QF). At least things can only get better from that start to your SQ flight.
Thanks Kiwi Flyer. You are right. After remote LAX gates the trip can only get better! I did get a remote gate in DXB on the way home but the F bus made it all better LOL

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Thanks for posting.
Happy to! I hope you're enjoying the TR.

I'm currently on AS 798 flying to Boston on a little MR so next installment goes up tomorrow!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Great TR so far - thank you!
I also agree that it would be fun to meet sfo777 and danielW - although I'd probably split 2 different desserts as opposed to 1!
I was lucky to be on the same FRA/SFO flight with FlyinHawaiian in 2009 but it was before I had a smartphone so all the pictures Are in my memory.
Shame that the bed for lax/icn wasn't comfortable and that SIN signage was a challenge for finding TPR / lounge.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Very looking forward to the EK segment to CPT !
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Excellent report thus far, can't wait for the rest!
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

30 Hours In Hong Kong

I love Hong Kong. I doubt I can go a full week without declaring my love for HK here on FlyerTalk and as excited as I was to explore Tokyo, Dubai and Cape Town (all for the first time) I was equally excited to visit Hong Kong again.

I had considered booking an award night at the JW but opted for the less glitzy Marriott Courtyard in the Sai Wan region of the island right near Hong Kong University. I stayed here in 2015 during a mileage run and really liked the fact that the hotel was only a few feet off of the bustling Des Voeux Road. The shopping and glamour of Central are great, they really are but I prefer to visit malls not stay 'in' them.

Off the plane and onto the train. I'll be honest this may be my favorite sign on the planet that isn't about or directing me to food

The Courtyard runs a shuttle from Hong Kong MTR station or you can take the bus to Water Street but I just hopped in a cab to save a little time. Check in was smooth and I was very pleasantly surprised to open the door and walk into my water view two room suite.

Sitting Room

The View

Cloudy Kowloon

Bedroom

Ferry Races!

Bathroom

OK time to stop taking pictures and start eating. During my mileage run in 2015 some local friends introduced me to a great noodle spot just two blocks from the hotel so I put on a fresh shirt and headed out.

Perfect

Full of noodles I took to the street. I didn't have any plans until dinner with friends so I figured a little trip to Kowloon would be in order but first a special stop. Now unlike our fellow trip report friend TOMFORD I don't express my fashion sense through my FT handle but I am a HUGE Thom Browne fan. Now I don't own a single thing Thom has ever made because you know...I'd rather pay my mortgage but I follow his work closely and have always wanted to visit one of his (very few) retail stores.

All of Thom's stores are set up and styled in the same way to give you a vintage office feel. This one was spread over four floors and by time I got to the top - where the sale rack was - I was losing weight.

Details

OK that is enough handmade capitalism time to point my camera at Kowloon!

Black & White

The Flower Man

Color

Twins

Boing

Vroom

After many hours on my feet it was time to head to dinner so I was back onto the MTR and off to Peaking Garden at Admiralty Station. I'm not really sure how we ended up at Peaking Garden but I joked with my friend that I wish there was a Da Dong in Hong Kong to which she replied "Oh I haven't had duck for ever, great idea!" . I had been to Peaking Garden before but it was late night after arriving and I wasn't very creative with my ordering. That was not going to be a problem this meal especially because I was meeting two local friends.

Quack

I am a big fan of peaking duck and raved about my opportunities to visit the famous Da Dong in both my Beijing and Shanghai trip reports so it is with disappointment I report that Peaking Garden did not stack up. The meal, as a whole, was fantastic and the duck was very good but the duck alone was no Da Dong. The one superstar highlight of the meal was the duck bone soup. My friends advised that this was something I would need a little more duck experience to know to order so I was thrilled they introduced it to me. After carving up our bird they used the bones to make us an awesome pot of soup. WOW! Unfortunately I was using both hands to stuff my face and didn't take any other photos of the meal.

Full of food and in need for a walk I hopped back onto the MTR and over to Kowloon to watch the light show and take a few more pictures.

Early to bed early to rise. I set my alarm so I'd be up to be on top of the peak for sunrise. The view from my room - good night Kowloon!

I had all these delusions of getting up and hiking the peak but you don't need to be a psychic and I don't need to show you the inside of the taxi I took for you to know that did not happen. Soooo after a short cab ride I was at The Peak tower with just a few seconds to spare.

Good Morning!

Not much of a sunrise today so I started my walk back to the hotel via the morning trail and through Hong Kong University.

I found one Ringgit!

Happy dogs

Roots

I know this photo is terrible but I had to share. I got passed by a guy who was walking down the trail backwards . I can't believe he didn't end up on his rear!

Drip

Who want's to play fill the box!? ^

After about as much down hill walking as my knees could handle I made it to the HKU campus.

Fisheye mirror meet fisheye lens

As I was considering cutting my own feet off to give them a rest I figured it would the perfect time to find a seat and have some breakfast.

OK, stop judging my shirt! I swear I forgot I was wearing it. Seriously. So I order by pointing at menu photos and as I am getting settled in I take my pullover off which gets the waitress smiling. It wasn't until the cook came out to take a picture of me did I realize what was so funny [me]

After great quick breakfast I grabbed a shower, packed and hopped on the 11am shuttle to the airport express. I'll miss you Hong Kong and hope to see you soon!

Up Next: An afternoon with Cathay Pacific

Last edited by Madone59; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:05 pm Reason: tpyo
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I'm impressed with how much you did in 24 hours of Hong Kong. Wow! Great shirt.
What do you use for traveling - im assuming a hand carry Rimowa 4-wheelie like sfo777 uses? Just curious.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:42 pm

Thanks for the reply about the lounge bags!

Still loving the most recent update, especially that dim sum shirt!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Full of noodles I took the the street. I didn't have any plans until dinner with friends so I figured a little trip to Kowloon would be in order but first a special stop. Now unlike our fellow trip report friend TOMFORD I don't express my fashion sense through my FT handle but I am a HUGE Thom Browne. Now I don't own a single thing Thom has ever made because you know...I'd rather pay my mortgage but I follow his work closely and have always wanted to visit one of his (very few) retail stores.
I will get you that puppy duffle bag for Christmas.

Old Feb 6, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Enjoying your writing style, and the great pics - love your Dim Sum shirt - we love Dim Sum.

SQ do a nice Book the Cook of Dim Sum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.