Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Formula 1, Friends and Food. Exploring Shanghai.

Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold

I have Anthony Bourdain's voice stuck in my head. Snarky, relaxed, meandering and just the right amount of drunk; I hear him. Maybe it is because I watched the Shanghai episode of Parts Unknown half a dozen times honing my pronunciation of Xiaolongbao or maybe it's because "...even if I dedicated my life to learning about China, I [will] die mostly ignorant."

This was a trip of many firsts. It was my first time in Shanghai, my traveling companion Sean's first time in Asia, and both of our first Formula 1 race (Go Lewis!!). It was an action packed four days which included helping TOMFORD find true love which is, last time I checked, a work in progress. It's time to board our last flight home - trip report starts tomorrow.

-Madone59

[SIZE="2"]PREVIOUS TRIP REPORTS[/SIZE]

Thailand Honeymoon
Italy 2014
Thailand 2014
Beijing Trip Report

Last edited by Madone59; Aug 27, 2019 at 7:10 am
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
This season has not been well for Lewis so far. I'm excited HAAS is doing so well. Can't wait for this trip report. I was at Austins F1 race last year and we're planning a trip to see them at spa next year.

Shanghai is a really awesome track

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Attending an F1 race is on my bucket list. Looking forward to your write-up.
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Hell yea! #gracefullyerect

Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:25 pm

Cool cover pic
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS - MVP Gold 50k, UA, Marriott - Silver, OMNI Select Guest - Gold, HHonors - Blue, MLife - Sapphire
I was there and I'm looking forward to reading this!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SANdEhGo
I was there and I'm looking forward to reading this!
Me too.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Hope you get home safely. Looking forward to your report.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Very much looking forward to this report Madone59, (although my money is on another F1 pilot)...
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
From Augusta to Shanghai!

We loved our few days in Shanghai a couple years ago.
Looking forward to reading your report.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Was in Shanghai two years ago - really enjoyed it. Am looking forward to your TR!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
San Diego to Shanghai

I was laying in bed last Thursday night thinking "when I wake up I will get to have DaDong for dinner." DaDong, the peaking duck restaurant of Beijing fame was going to be our first meal in Shanghai and nothing was going to stand in my way. I had been dreaming about my next serving of duck since I last looked back while walking....no....rolling away from my lunch Beijing almost a year ago. My phone buzzed, it was a text from Sean "Shanghai tomorrow" followed by many thumbs up.

Before I get to side tracked, I think you need to know how we got here. If you have read my trip reports you know by now I travel a little for work but frequently and happily pad by mileage bank with mileage runs. I'd come home from an hour in Boston or a day in Hong Kong and regale Sean with my tales of avoiding DVT. Which, to no ones surprise, over time fueled Sean's travel bug. Now not being Sean's girlfriend or his job I find that I need the jaws of life to get some time out of his schedule so in January of this year I forwarded him a reservation confirmation from American Airlines and told him to 1. Get a Chinese visa and 2. pay me back. What are friends for, if not for booking trips to China without your permission? Shortly after booking the tickets I noticed the Chinese Grand Prix would be in town that same weekend. I am a big F1 fan, and Sean loves all things on four wheels, so with the help of Sean's parents and a friend at Hugo Boss I cooked up a plan to surprise him with tickets to the race AND a inside tour of the Mercedes AMG Petronas pit.

San Diego Airspace lounge. You can still access the lounge with either an Admirals Club membership or American Express Platinum. With AMEX you get a $10 credit per person towards food and beverage.

Ed Force 1 in LA!

A short bus ride to T4 followed by a quick walk over to TBIT, and right into the KAL lounge thanks to Priority Pass.

Snack time

This was my first time in TBIT, what a great facility!

Shopping anyone?

Spotted from above in the lounge, the rare american Cheetah Leopard!!

About ten minutes before boarding we headed to the gate. On the way we got to see a whale being fed

Our ride to China

Coming and going. SAS touching down as we taxi out

Sitting in 8A you get a great view of the 787's wing bend. It's very hard to give perspective through a photo, but it's a really cool sight to see.

The AA MCE seats are great, I felt like these seats were a little narrower than the 77W's but still not a bad place to park it for 13 hours. While thinking about this TR I had made a note to scold AA for the awful food on this flight but then we were served the meals on the flight home and I changed my tune right quick. The food on the flight home made this stuff look like Thomas Keller's finest!!

Dinner: beef or chicken, chicken or beef? It really didn't matter.

Dessert

For those who have not flown on the 787, and I hadn't until this trip, the windows grind my gears so heed my advise and DON'T SIT ON THE SUN SIDE OF THE PLANE! Have you see the 80's movie Trouble With Dick? Of course you haven't it was awful, that was a rhetorical question. The main character, Dick who is a sci-fi writer, is dreaming about being on Mars and half the movie is shot with an annoying green filter. It is like Traffic but a lot less subtle. Well because we were on the sun side of the plane I spent the day starting out to a purple universe wondering if I was landing in a world where the sun had been blocked out by the purple haze Jimmy Hendrix had been trying to warn us about! Why did no one listen, why oh why....Jimmy tried to warn us but we didn't listen!!! Now we live in a world where they wear hats on our feet and hamburgers eat people. PEOPLE! You catch my drift, the purple is annoying.

Welcome to PVG

Our gate was not available, so after a short driving tour we were parked at a remote gate which allowed for some really great plane photos!

SQ reflection through the bus window

After a short walk and breeze through customs we briefly had the opportunity to chat with MJR1975. It does not happen a lot but I always like when fellow FTers spot my yellow luggage tag and say hello ^. After an inexplicable line through customs we were ripped off for a taxi and on our way to the Yu Garden Renaissance.

Throw the bags in the room, change of socks and shirt no time to waste the clock was ticking. We had to get to DaDong. After going up and down Nanjing road a few extra times our cab driver finally pulled over, shrugged his shoulders and raised his hands palms up -you know, the international sign for I have no idea where this place is- Sean and I took the the streets and finished the quest for duck on foot. For those looking to go to DaDong just to go the corner of Nanjing and Changde Road, it is directly across from Shanghai Landmark HUGO BOSS, China, Shanghai, Huangpu, Nanjing Road.

If you have ever gone to a restaurant and said "There are just so many choices I don't know what to order. It all looks so good" save yourself the pain and don't go to DaDong. The menu is bafflingly dense, and if you see something you like good luck finding that page again!

Sean explores DaMenu

DaSetup

DaCondiments

DaBears

DaDuck!!!!

Stuffed to the gills we took a short walk up Nanjing road looking for a taxi where we encountered this fellow head on the steering wheel, asleep in the middle of an intersection! We kept walking.

Nanjing Road at night

Taking a look out of our window. Good night Shanghai. Tomorrow Formula 1.
Attached Images                                     

Last edited by Moomba; May 12, 2017 at 4:39 pm
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: trash airline program here
Awesome report. As a huge car guy, im really looking forward to the f1 part/s. Daaa bears!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:25 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
LOL @ DaBears. If you had another good DaJoke after I would have peed myself in public laughing out loud.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Time to follow as a fellow SAN reporter

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.