Original Poster

LH F FRA-CAI: beautiful three and a half

FRA – CAI
(Frankfurt/Germany to Cairo/Egypt)
LH 652
07 MAR 2003 14:20
Flight Duration: 3:30
Airbus A340-200

If I would have enough money, I would do this every day: spendng three and a half hours in LH first class. LH will not continue first class on many short routes to the middle east, because of low demand. As the self-declared winner of the flyertalk snob competition (only Gaucho can compete me) I am strongly opposing this decison. The demand might be low, but loud

At the gate in FRA I immediately approached the gate agents, because I was quite surprised: "How come it is not crowded here? Am I too early ???" – "Sir, we only have 100 pax today, and you are the only one in first class. Enjoy your flight."

This is new for LH´s Cairo flights: I have seen people beating each other up to get a seat on those flights, which are normally quite oversold. It seems the political situation has its impact here. As it turned out, someone graded his ticket up with miles and so we were a party of two in first class (LH does carry eight seats/beds in this section on an A 340).
I have to say, if you are once in your life holding a fullfare F ticket, you feel annoyed by all those upgraders and award ticket holders

The seating layout is 1-2-1, and after boarding I decided row 2 was all mine and switched to the two middle seats, one for me, one for my bag. I received my welcome champaign plus nuts very quickly, then came the personal video guide (yawn!), the new van laack amenity kit (new notepad style, as already reported on in LH forum, ask Gaucho for photoes) and the famous LH slippers.

After take-off, it took around 30 minutes until a crewmember was seen in the cabin to ask for drinks (too long, they were preparing whatever in the kitchen but not caring about the passengers). A hot towel was offered, nuts again, then the purser came by to hand out and explain the lunch menu for this flight.

As wine is one of my hobbies, I started trying all three white wines first. The choice was a 2000 Puligny-Montrachet (Jean-Baptiste-Béjot), a 2001 Verdejo (Spanish white white) and, from LHs monthly changing "Discoveries" selection, a 2001 Riesling from Germany (Pfalz, Motzenbaecker). The Puligny-Montrachet tasted like all other Puligny-Montrachets (for me, they taste "valuable", but not fruity enough), the Verdejo was like a spanish vanilla-type wine (either too long in oak or too much vanilla powder in it), and the Riesling was really good. The FA told me, most pax actually go for the Riesling, not only the Germans.

I decided to skip the personal movies and use the C/F PTV service to watch the latest James Bond movie. The purser agreed to start the movie selection right away (not waiting until all the advertisment in eco had been shown) and so I could watch it during lunch.

Here is the menu
(no comments on seafood dishes as I H-A-T-E like seafood)

--- Caviar

Caviar Service (yes, LH does this even for lunch, and on 3:30 hours flights as well)

--- Hors d`oeuvre

Marinated Swordfish
enhanced by Argain Oil
Soy Beans, Sweet Peppers and Cilantro

Goat Cheese Roulade
garnished with Spring Onions
and Red Beef Vinaigrette

Tenderloin of Beef Salad, Tamarind Sauce,
Vegetable Julienne and toasted Pine Nuts

(since beginnig of this year, LH has an "etagère service", meaning you receive all three starters in an etagère and can sample all of them, then order more if you like – great idea and something unique)

I tried choices two and three, both were excellent

--- Salad

Oak Leaf Lettuce, Frisée, Radicchio and Arugula
presented with Balsamic Vinaigrette
or Meaux Mustard Dressing
Bread, Rolls and Butter

I choose the mustard dressing which was fine. I am waiting for the day when LH makes a salad without Radicchio, as most pax just leave it aside due to my observations. It is nice for the eye as it adds an extra colour, but too bitter to eat. The bread selection of LH is still the best in the sky, including a white range of warm breads and rolls including garlic bread. New is that you receive two kinds of butter: a regular one, and, today, a tomato butter (excellent).

--- Entrees

"Goulash"
Tenderloin of Veal, Brussels Sprouts,
herbed Spätzle and Hungarian Paprika Sauce

Medallions of Monkfish
Savoy Cabbage, roasted Potatoes,
Sweet Onion Marmelade and Soubise

Canneloni filled with Wild Mushrooms
served with Leaf Spinash and an aromatic Tomato Chutney

Braised Leg of Duck
complemented by Morel Mushrooms
and Chickpea Polenta

I choose the "Goulash" but without "Goulash", so just he Spätzle with vegetables and sauce. The cook prepared it for me very nicely and she came by and ask me if I wanted more (wanted, but could not)

--- Cheese and Dessert

International Cheese
Bleu d`Auvergne, Brie, Livarot, Gruyère
and Saint-Nectaire served with Grapes

Tahitian Vanilla Bean Mousse with Chocolate Ganache
and Valharona Chocolate Sauce

Lemon Tarlet with Honey-flavoured Mascarpone
and Pine Nut Crust

I just went for the cheese, and ask her to prepare me a selection without the useless stuff (crackers, grapes). The FA presented all cheeses on a wooden board, then cut it for me in the kitchen. Please, everyone on LH F try the Gruyère together with the Pfalz Riesling, a spectactular experience.

Regarding the lunch menu, please do not suspect me having stolen the menu from the plane. Of course, I just wrote it down right from my memory

Back to the real stuff: Drinks
With the main course, I decided to switch to red wine. From the Bordeaux, LH carries a Chatéau Belgrave 5e Cru Classé since a long time, which is really nice, and a 1999 Beaune Premier Cru, bottled by Bouchard Père et Fils, and an Australian Shiraz. Deeply disrespecting Australian wines, I decided to drink the Beaune first, then the Belgrave. The Beaune is quite nice, but the Belgrave is nicer. A really fully-flavoured, smokey Bordeaux wine.

With the cheese, after the Riesling, the FAs recommended a nice Port. I am really happy that LH will have Eiswein in first class from June. If broadband internet and Eiswein are introduced on all routes, there is no more reason to leave LH first class for anything, and I will just refuse disembarking then.

LH is still proud of their wine selection, and this can be justified all the time. They dont go for names, but for their own blind tasting results. Sometimes they will carry three-euro-rieslings in first class, just because the wins the tasting. Also, the "Discoveries" selection (changing monthly) allows them also to carry special wines that are not available in really big quantities. LH needs about 15000 bottles of a wine to include it in the regular first class selection, but much less for a "Discoveries" wine. This amples room for experiments, and this is good. Everyone can buy a Dom Perignon 1995 (a real mass product, more than one million bottles production estimated), but who has the faith to offer a "Weingut Motzenbäcker" Riesling? Frequent flyers appreciate to experience a variety rather than stuff that everyone can buy at the duty-free.

After LH has finally installed Capucchino and Espresso making facilities in their first class kitchens, also the coffee is quite nice. Together with the coffee, they are presenting their famous chocolate selection. I always try to avoid it because of the calories, but in the end, they always need to offer me the chocolate selection three times. I am sorry

As a sidenote to all American Flyertalkers I need to add the information that LH is giving out metal knives to their passengers on flights to the middle east.

Having finished the Bond movie (he is flying BA first class instead of a private jet now ???) I chatted about an hour with one of the FAs. I was asking her what she thinks of flights to the middle east, especially after BA has suspended all direct operations to this area and is routing all flights via Larnaca/Cyprus to avoid overnight stays there. She said she was feeling quite safe in the said region but it seems the passengers loads are dropping quite rapidly.

Some people here always complain that LH´s female FAs are older than industry average and sometimes a bit harsh. I can only repeat I do not share this view. I love talking to experienced flyers (this is why I am so frequently logging into flyertalk.com) and who is more experienced in world-travelling than FAs who do this job since decades? Plus, I have always been treated nicely by LHs FAs as I am always approaching them with respect. The experience might be slightly different in Eco where you have lots of FAs who are just starting their job and maybe quitting soon, but in F you normally only encounter FAs who have decided that this job is not their job but their profession.

I bought the Davidoff Tubos cigars from the duty free selection and asked to have a look at the available ties. I was quickly surrounded by five female FAs who all suggested different ties to match my shirt, so I had no choice than to buy at least one. Although I have to say the tie selection is quite outdated, only Mr Weber still seems to wear them in TV interviews

The FA who served me most of the time did not miss to hand me a Bogner shirt (which should normally not be the case as this was a day flight). I also discovered a bottle of the Riesling wine in my duty free bag after I left the airplane. Yes, true, this wine was from the "Discoveries" selection A very nice treat.

I only have a short stay in Cairo, about 10 hours. For this reason, I booked a day room at the Mövenpick Heliopolis hotel, about three minutes away from the hotel, for 60 USD. To my surprise, a lady from the hotel expected me right after leaving the plane, guided me through the visa counter (15 USD) and customs, called the hotel bus and accompanied me to the hotel. Check-in was quick. As I knew before, the Mövenpick hotel is a little shabby, but it has a nice pool area with a bar and regular belly dancing presentations

Currently, I am sitting in the Swiss restaurant, drinking Swiss wine, Diet coke, and typing this report for you. Seems people are not used to someone sitting in the restaurant with a notebook computer and a big cigar in his mouth. At least a four-year-old Egyptian girl is giving me funny looks while I am typing this

For the lounge folks:
Before the flight, I spent about 20 minutes in the LH SEN lounge opposite gate A 51 in Frankfurt. Food selection was: fruit (with a big sign: We are sorry we cannot offer fruit knives because of security reasons, we will cut the fruit for you), sandwiches with Fleischsalat (meat/mayonnaise salad), Bifteki (meat balls) with two choices of cream cheese, cake, sausages, crackers and wine gums. Quite OK. As always, they do not let you take magazines out, and ask you to return them when you exit. I think a SEN passenger is not there to steal magazines, but I might wanted to continue to read the magazine in the airplane ... and did not expect being involved in a discussion about "stealing" a magazine or not. Once, I was accused of carrying a "BUNTE" magazine out of the lounge .... and very much to the disappointment of the lounge matron it clearly carried a sticker with my subscription address on it ... Anyway, the lounges are improving.

As a conclusion, everyone understands that airlines do need to save money. LH started money-saving earlier than other airlines ... but if you are a first class passenger, you will not notice it. Really, I am using LHs first class quite frequently, and each time I see a little improvement here and there ... but never discovered a cost-cutting measure since about one year. Of course, years ago, when they took the bed-sheets out of first class and made champaign available "on request only" in the lounges, it was remarkable, but since that time, I can only see improvements.

Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:23 pm

Excellent report so far!

On my one single humble LH F experience between BKK and MNL, the food was excellent and full course dinner was served on that three hours flight. My only comment is that the flight attendants can use more smiles.

Look forward to your return!

Carfield
Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Uli -

A truly beautiful LH first class report.

Nice to hear that there were only 2 pax in 1st - how grand is that? Even though you had 3.5 hours up front - that's still a great experience to have had.

Thanks for your post...loved it.

Blessings...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:58 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Uli, thanks for a great report. However, to set the record straight:

If you dont like seafood, you cant even enter the snob competition !!!!

Cheers from Jakarta...
Old Mar 6, 2003, 8:03 pm

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
One more thing... regarding the etagere service for starters, this is being applied inconsistently. In my past 5 LH F flights, the full pile of goodies was offered on only 2. In one of those that it was not and I was really starving, I requested it and it was of course served. Sort of reminds me of the case of the missing vodka...
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:11 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report, Uli! I'd like to try LH F some day. Sadly, my only immediate chance to try LH is in the back of the bus... and the reports I keep hearing about LH long haul economy class are not good

Out of curiosity, why do you dislike Australian wines so much? (I'm not actually an Aussie myself, so you don't need to be polite...) Is it new world wines in general that you don't like or Australian ones in particular?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thank you, Uli, for providing us with this little slice of inflight heaven. Were that all 3 1/2 hour flights could be so nice!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:48 am

Cool trip report, thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:23 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
thanks Uli:
i cant wait till my first class lax- fra flight in Sept. in row 83!!!!
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:07 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
A true pleasure to read this.... danke!

------------------
truly yours. airOli.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:35 am
Uli
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
Out of curiosity, why do you dislike Australian wines so much? (I'm not actually an Aussie myself, so you don't need to be polite...) Is it new world wines in general that you don't like or Australian ones in particular?</font>
mad_atta, this is nothing related to facts. I know there is great wine from Australia, no doubt. I was just on a tasting in different wineries in the Hunter Valley during christmas, and we did not find any really good red wines (I know Hunter Valley is not famous for red wines anyway). Also, they do too much machine-harvesting there and one winemaker told horror stories about all the wood, spiders and frogs which are in the wine so I always have to think of that when I see Australian wine

Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:35 am

Here's another fan of Australian wines.... the new world is the place for wines, I think.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:40 am
Uli
Original Poster

The return flight was taken this morning 3:00 am to 5:55 am CAI-FRA. Plane was totally filled today. Also, I have nothing to report about because, as everyone else in F, I just slept the entire time. Only service experience was a capucchino 20 minutes before touchdown.

By the way, if you take a flight from CAI, make sure to be late. The F lounge is horrible (outdated furniture, small drink selection, no diet drinks besides water, bad-tasting cookies) and the shops dont look appealing as well. Last time I flew from CAI did not notice so much begging on the airport. But this time, many people tried to squeeze money out me (offering to help to put stuff on the security belt, guiding me to a shorter security line, or offering pens to fill the custom forms), and if you refuse their "services", they were very offensive.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 4:16 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
A wonderful report - as if I flew with you - virtually .
Old Mar 7, 2003, 4:34 am
Uli
Original Poster

LH738,

next report will be about todays flight, conducted by LH under your name: LH738 FRA-HKG
hope they pay the royalties on time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.