Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FLL-DFW-TUS - or "Fire in the hole"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2003, 11:16 am
Original Poster

FLL-DFW-TUS - or "Fire in the hole"

As a occasional contributor to the Delta forum, I had an interesting trip out here to Tucson yesterday that I was going to post. As it became a longer adventure, I felt it was a more appropriate post to the Trip Reports forum. Please be advised this is my first Trip Report

DL #1625 FLL-DFW, Departs 6:55 AM, Seat 4D

I personally like the 757 aircraft. It seems to be more roomy and more comfortable than the 767 series that I normally get out of FLL (specifically the 400-ER which is tight.

The flight left the gate at 7:05 AM and had a hurried flight safety video. The reason for the rush is that generally aircraft take off at FLL to the east (over the ocean). The flight today was taking off to the west, and the taxi from the Delta gates to the end of the runway is very short if you are leaving to the West. Personal Note: I enjoy flying in and out of FLL as the arrivals generally come in from the west, and after landing it is a VERY short taxi to the gate. Comparing that to DFW and ATL, I suppose you can see my pleasure in that.

First class had a choice of a cereal breakfast or a hot english muffin/egg breakfast. Coach had a beverage service. I chose the english muffin. The service included:

Scrambled eggs, cheese, and diced tomatoes served over an english muffin

Warm cinammon roll

Fresh fruit medley

I will admit, after many offerings of the mushroom omelet and those interesting sausage like morsels, this was a pleasant surprise. The meal was very good, very fresh, and I enjoyed it as much as any meal i've had on a plane. Or maybe I was just really hungry?

The inflight entertainment was the tired Delta Horizons with the same episode of "Friends" i've seen 6 or 7 times. What happened to the inflight movie you used to get on the FLL-DFW flights? Doesn't DL make money on those $5 headset rental charges in coach? Thankfully, I had my laptop and watched most of Blood Work. Pretty good movie. Clint is looking OLD though.

Arrival into DFW was about 15 minutes early. I think I fly on Monday too often as the terminal and the CRC were EMPTY at 9:00 AM. I stopped in the hair salon/barber shop outside Friday's and got my hair cut, as it had been a busy few weeks and I had no time. Made a quick visit to the CRC, had a drink, watched war coverage, and relaxed.

DL #4501 - ASA DFW - TUS Departs 10:10 AM

Made my way over to the DL commuter terminal area. It was a ghost town! Checked in and walked down the steps into that maze-like canvas tenting to make my way out to the flight. I'm not lying when I tell you I walked about a mile and a half through the maze. When I finally got to the Tucson flight, I asked the lady if I was still in Dallas?

I hate CRJ's. I actually prefer the EMB flights that have one seat on the left side over the terribly cramped CRJ configuration. Luckily the flight was only half full, and I was able to do a shift from 8D up to 2A at the last moment and have an empty seat next to me.

About this time, the captain, "Captain Roger" as he introduced himself to us, came on the overhead (in front of us, not in the cockpit) to make a solemn announcement.

"I'm sorry, folks", Captain Roger said in his best sympathetic voice, "we found a suspicious item in a checked bag, and we are going to have to deplane and everyone is going to have to claim their luggage."

Immediately my mind starts replanning my entire day and listing who I'd have to call...etc.

Just as everyone started to get up, Captain Roger gets on the overhead, "Well folks, APRIL FOOLS. Sorry, i've always wanted to do that". The cabin breaks out in laughs and applause, and I haven't decided if the applause was because the "joke" was that good, or the relief that we would be leaving on time.

I think it was a funny moment, and I didn't have a problem with it. The gentleman behind me and I were discussing that we were sure of the 30 people on board, someone is going to complain and Captain Roger will probably get in trouble.

We end up leaving right on time and taxi the 74 miles to the end of the runway to leave for TUS.

A few minutes into the flight I notice the lady over in 2D (sitting alone) pulls out her plastic inflight safety card and starts waving it wildly. Adding to this was her cartoonish features, starting with the wild Tina Turner like hair and the Rodeo Drive too-big-for-her-face sunglasses. I was wondering what she was waving the placard for.

We found out soon enough. A stench, evil in it's origin and not of this earth soon settled over the front of the plane. Now, being a former college fraternity guy, it takes a lot to affect me, but this was it. This smell cannot be done justice in any description I could think of.

Finally, a few minutes later the stench subsided.

About ten minutes later, Tina Turner started waving the placard again, with a feverish pace. If there was any doubt as to the origin of this rancid smell, it was confirmed now. Thirty seconds later, the smell permeated the front of the cabin.

When she pulled the placard out ten minutes later for the next "sortie", the military jargon started coming out from those of us around her. "Fire in the hole!", I stated on the next placard waving. "Every man for yourself!", came the shout behind us.

It would have been so hilarious if only the smell wasn't so bad.

As we descended into Tucson, we ended up flying over the mountains and swinging around. This move gave us a considerable amount of turbulence. Upon landing, Captain Roger came out and said he was sorry, he didn't know why ATC insisted we fly that route over the mountains when it is always so rough.

Upon arrival at the terminal, and opening of the CRJ doors we had to stand there for over five minutes as they couldn't find the key to open the terminal door! Of course here I am standing behind Miss Turner hoping she can hold it.

Hope you enjoy my report.

Bob

Old Apr 2, 2003, 1:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Sorry about the deplaning Bob...

However, many thanks for your report...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

So much for my entry into the trip posting reports...I thought it was interesting, perhaps I was wrong
Old Apr 6, 2003, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RVBOOS:
So much for my entry into the trip posting reports...I thought it was interesting, perhaps I was wrong</font>
Nope, you were right - it was interesting and amusing.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RVBOOS:

Upon arrival at the terminal, and opening of the CRJ doors we had to stand there for over five minutes as they couldn't find the key to open the terminal door! Of course here I am standing behind Miss Turner hoping she can hold it.

</font>
Perhaps the agent heard Tina belting "We Don't Need Another Hero" and decided to lose the key.

Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:11 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
So much for my entry into the trip posting reports...I thought it was interesting, perhaps I was wrong</font>
No! No! A great read! Did I miss an edit or something? Anyway, I was LMAO at the description of the "Gas Lady". Haha. And I have been in DFW when it is so packed you can't move or like the "ghostown" you described. Please yell us another story sometime.

Joe

------------------
"Ummm... just decaf for me, please."
Old Apr 8, 2003, 12:02 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
RVBOOS, thanks for the laugh. Sounds like your trip was a gas...
Old Apr 8, 2003, 8:00 pm

I had this saved on my desktop, meaning to read it on my last flight Saturday, but didn't get around to it until today's flight... Just about broke out laughing on the plane.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.