Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QF 006 Sydney-Singapore-Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

QF 006 Sydney-Singapore-Frankfurt

My first flight was on QF 006 from Sydney-Frankfurt. Here's the report for that flight

QF 006
DEP - Sydney
ARR - Frankfurt
VIA - Singapore
AIRCRAFT - Boeing 747-400 'VH-NLH' - DO'H

Check-In was swift and efficient at the First Class Counters. I was allocated seat 2F for my flight to Frankfurt.
With not much time left before boarding, I quickly grabbed some Australian Red Wine and Chocolates as gifts then made my way to the Qantas First Lounge

CHECK IN - worth 5%
Mark - 9/10 - 90%

QANTAS FIRST LOUNGE SYDNEY - worth 10%
The lounge is quite smaller than the Business Class Lounge, however the ambience of the lounge is a lot nicer. There are more hot food options in this lounge, while the highlight of catering in the lounge were the prawns. They were the juiciest I have ever tasted. The seats are comfortable and made out of Italian leather. A sufficient variety of magazines and newspapers were available. I took a quick look at the Business Centre, and while small, it had everything the Business Traveller needs. There is also a cafe style area in the lounge. Staff at the lounge were friendly. Wine and beverage selection was of higher quality than the Business Class counterpart
MARKS
Food - 10/10 - 100%
Beverages - 10/10 - 100%
Business Centre - 8/10 - 80%
Bathrooms - 9/10 - 90%
Staff - 9/10 - 90%
Ambience - 9/10 - 90%
Reading selection - 9/10 - 90%
OVERALL - 9.14/10 - 91.4%

BOARDING PROCEDURE/PRIOR TO TAKE-OFF (Sydney) - worth 5%
Not much to say here, except that I was quite pissed when i saw VH-NLH at the gate. However barding procedure was done very efficiently, however behind schedule. Business Class Passengers were invited to board at their own leisure. After entering the aircraft, I settled into my First Class Seat, which was comfortable. I was offered a glass of Orange Juice, Champgane and Water. A detailed sfaety demonstration was performed by the flight attendants. We took off 15 minutes behind schedule
MARKS
Timeliness - 6/10 - 60%
Efficiency - 9/10 - 90%
Safety demonstration - 10/10 - 100%
TOTAL - 8.33/10 - 83.3%

SEAT - worth 15% (for both sectors)

The seat is the BA first seat which is very good. Business and Economy were BA's old seating. The TV Screen for the entertainment system was small (More details later) and I found the seat a bit hard. For sleeping on the seat was awesome, and quite good for just sitting up

SEAT MARK
Sleeping Comfort - 10/10 - 100%
Sitting Comfort - 9/10 - 90%
OVERALL - 9.5/10 - 95%

FOOD SERVICE Sydney-Singapore - worth 12.5%
Here's the Menu Transcript;

DINNER

ENTREE
- Cream of Asparagus Soup
MAIN COURSE
- Chicken with Roast Potatoes and Zucchini Sauce
- Beef Fillet with Sugar Snap Peas and Mustard Seed Jus
- Smoked Salmon Fillet with Soba Noodle Salad and Sesame Soy Dressing

Green Leaf Salad with Herb Vinaigrette

DESSERT
- Selection of Seasonal Cheese
- Peach and Almond Crumble Cake with Maple Syrup Marscarpone
- Fresh Fruit

A Refreshment will be served prior to arrival in Singapore

For Dinner, I chose the Beef Fillet and the Cheese Course. The soup was nice and creamy, just the way I like it. The beef fillet was a tiny bit overcooked for my liking, but better than some steaks I've had on the ground. The salad was basic yet tasty, while the cheese course was excellent

The refreshment prior to arrival in Singapore was high-tea style, consisting of Sandiwches, Cookies and Fruit if my memory serves correctly.

MARKS
Soup - 9.5/10 - 90%
Beef Fillet - 9/10 - 80%
Salad - 8.5/10 - 85%
Cheese - 9.5/10
Refreshment - 9.5/10
OVERALL - 9.2/10 - 92%

ENTERTAINMENT - worth 15% (both sectors)

This is Qantas old system as No PTV's were in Economy Class. The screen seemed tiny as I have gotten use to the new system. Quality of the programming was good, although 10 channels isn't quite enough for a 23 hour flight. As usual Airshow was available and I miss the games

MARKS
Quality - 9/10 - 90%
Quantity - 8/10 - 80%
Size of Screen - 7.5/10 - 75%
OVERALL - 8.16/10 - 81.6%

We arrived in Singapore only 5 minutes behind schedule and I made my way to the First Lounge

QANTAS FIRST LOUNGE SINGAPORE - worth 10%
Smaller than the lounge in Sydney and not as packed as the Business Class lounge in Singapore. Food wasn't as good. If I recall there were no hot food options (Or it kept running out). I took a shower and the shower room there is outstanding. Seats were comfortable and Business Centre reasonable. Soon after I had my shower It was time to board 747 piece of trash to Frankfurt. Reading selection satisfactory

MARKS
Food - 8/10- 80%
Beverages - 9/10 - 90%
Business Centre - 8/10 - 80%
Bathrooms - 9/10 - 90%
Staff - 9/10 - 90%
Ambience - 9/10 - 90%
Reading selection - 8/10 - 80%
OVERALL - 8.57/10 - 85.7%

BOARDING IN SINGAPORE/PRIOR TO TAKE-OFF - 5%
Not nearly as organised as in Sydney. I hate the security screening at the gate. This is the only thing I hate about Changi, the rest is wonderful.
Prior to boarding I was once again offered Orange Juice, Champagne or Water. After another safety demonstration, our plane took off to Frankfurt 2 minutes behind schedule

MARKS
Timeliness - 8/10 - 80%
Efficiency - 7/10 - 70%
Safety demonstration - 10/10 - 100%
TOTAL - 8.33/10 - 83.3%

FOOD SERVICE Singapore-Frankfurt - worth 12.5%
Here's the menu transcript

SUPPER

MAIN COURSE
- Lamb Loin with Roast Pumpkin, Creamed Spinach and Rosemary Jus
- Sea Bass Fillet with Bok Choy and Black Vinegar Sauce
- Salad of Poached Chicken, Char Grilled Vegetables and Roast Capsicum Mayonnaise

Green Leaf Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Asparagus

DESSERT
- Coconut Cake with Lime Syrup and Mango Sauce
- Fresh Fruit

REFRESHMENT
Available throughout the flight upon request
- Bitter Chocolate Biscuits
- Fresh Tropical Fruit

BREAKFAST
Selection of Fruit Juices
Passionfruit and Orange Energiser Drink
Fruit Salad with Honey Yoghurt
A Choice of Warm Bakery Items
Toasted Muesli
Choice of;
- Breakfast Sausages with Potato Cake, Sauteed Mushrooms and Braised Beans
- Egg and Bacon Tart with Slow Roasted Roma Tomatoes and Sweet Onion Relish

For Dinner I chose the Salad, which was satisfactory. I passed on Dessert and caught some shut eye. Around Jordan, I woke up and shortly after Breakfast Began. I was hungry and ate everything. For the hot selection I chose the Breakfast Sausages which were tasty. I still prefer Sydney Catering
MARKS
Salad of Poached Chicken - 8.5/10 - 85%
Fruit Juice - 8/10 - 80%
Energiser Drink - 10/10 - 100%
Fruit Salad with Honey Yoghurt - 9/10 - 90%
Bakery Items - 9/10 - 90%
Breakfast Sausages - 8.5/10 - 85%
OVERALL - 8.83/10 - 88.3%

ARRIVAL - 10%
Unfortunately no arrivals lounge in Frankfurt like Heathrow, however my luggage was already on the belt when I arrived. Frankfurt Airport was chaotic with many flight arriving from Asia. We arrived 7 minutes ahead of schedule

MARKS
Arrival of Luggage - 10/10 - 100%
Punctuality - 11/10 - 110% (We arrived early)
Ambience of Arrivals - 8/10 - 80%
OVERALL - 9.66/10 - 96.6%

OVERALL MARK FOR ENTIRE TRIP - 89.2275%

I hope you enjoyed my trip report
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A good report. With such precision, you must be an engineer or an accountant.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Thorough and well written...thanks Platinum...

Blessings,

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Mar 29, 2003, 4:26 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
God, very good report... Wish I can fly F class... instead of the usual Y class... I'm getting better and earning lots of points so I'll be in J class soon..,
Old Mar 29, 2003, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wongo:
God, very good report... Wish I can fly F class... instead of the usual Y class... I'm getting better and earning lots of points so I'll be in J class soon.., </font>
I was flying J Class, but I get access to the F Lounges because I'm QF Platinum. I only fly J when the company's paying for it, but if I'm paying I always fly Y.

[This message has been edited by Platinum A332 (edited 03-29-2003).]
Old Mar 29, 2003, 5:07 pm

Programs: QF Bronze
Excellent trip report. If you went SYDFRA then it must have been QF005.
Also the IFE on that dreadful aircraft is all BA, nothing on it was QF except the crew, food etc!
Rest easy it leaves SYD today for the final time back to LHR then Cardiff to be scrapped I should think
Old Mar 30, 2003, 2:46 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Platinum A332:
I was flying J Class, but I get access to the F Lounges because I'm QF Platinum. I only fly J when the company's paying for it, but if I'm paying I always fly Y.

[This message has been edited by Platinum A332 (edited 03-29-2003).]
</font>
above:
After entering the aircraft, I settled into my First Class Seat, which was comfortable.

- so you were flying in J ??
Where were you seated ?

Good report, thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2003, 3:19 am

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
SYD-SIN-FRA/CDG (and some other routes eg BNE-AKL-LAX) are now sold as 2 class (J and Y). QF has only really started converting some of its 744s to 2 class, so you're likely to get a 3 class a/c.

So in the meantime, the high tier FFs can get seat allocation in the F cabin in the 3 class 744. I've had the pleasure also of being in F cabin in a 2 class service, but only for the (too short!) PER-SYD run, where QF used a 744 to evacuate PER when AN2 died.

Great report, BTW. Methinks you like your QF?
Old Mar 30, 2003, 10:23 am

Wonderful report. I too really enjoy the new IFE on QF. The old screens are so small.... The food on QF really is excellent. If you have a chance the next time you fly QF first class try the steak sandwich ...fantastic!
Old Mar 30, 2003, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Major league detail and an innovative grading system to boot. Thanks for this report!
Old Mar 31, 2003, 5:31 pm

Great report!
Old Apr 6, 2003, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Oops, QF 005 was the correct flight number. Thanks for all your comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.