Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA112 JFK-LHR / BA392 LHR-BRU / Antwerp Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:25 am
Original Poster

BA112 JFK-LHR / BA392 LHR-BRU / Antwerp Hilton

As I don't write particularly good trip reports, this is primarily a subjective comparison of the F/J class on BA vs the equivilent products on AA, my main carrier of choice.

BA112 First class seat 2A

Pre-Departure
The Terraces lounge is light and airy, and at the time of day that I took a look around it was completely empty (2PM). I basically use clubs as somewhere to sit, watch the news in peace and get some free soda, so I'm not particularly versed in the quality of the alcahol or other services available in the Terraces, however I did notice the pre-dining area set up to the far left next to the smoking room, looked quite pleasant.
The first class lounge was simply a more dour version of the Terraces lounge, no difference really and it too was completely empty.
The Concorde lounge opened at 3pm for the evening flights (Concorde had left at about 830am that day). The room has the same kind of 'feel' as the terraces lounge, except there are staff making themselves extremely available and the free bar is manned.
The Eating area directly infront of the bar has panoramic views of the gates, as does the TV area. this room is quite exceptional and easily on par with the Wing in HKG.

Boarding
BA waited until the main cabin has boarded before announcing the flight in the concorde room (I believe the Terraces and First lounges announce earlier) so that the time standing at the gate was kept to a minimum as almost all the people in the room were travelling in first class.. A nice touch that suprised me.

Seating
Here's where BA isn't really keeping up. BA's first seat is comfortable, if a little narrow, the view out of the windows was good, although I have to admit that AA's Flagship Suite product is better (Wider, more usable surface area and more privacy)

Service
This was a night flight and I'm used to th Flight crew dissapearing pretty much instantly after takeoff and not really paying much attention to the cabin.. This couldnt be further from the truth on this flight.. I'd barely woken after my four hour nap than there was someone at my elbow offering tea, cookies and generally fussing over me to make sure I was happy.. I find this level of attention quite disconcerting (Being the "Dont want to cause trouble" type) and took some getting used to. BA has THE premier first service across the atlantic, people paying for this service regularly CLEARLY appreciate a quality product.
Breakfast was possibly the best meal I've ever had in the air.. Toast, scrambled eggs that actually tasted like scrambled eggs, good danish bacon, sausage tomatoes and mushrooms.. HEAVENLY.. I didnt have to eat again until that evening..

Connecting
In this area, BA is the WORST.. I was simply abandoned at the door of the aircraft, no shuttle to T1, no greeter, nothing.. Not up to my quality standards at all.. and actually WORSE than AA does in LHR.. a black mark if ever there was one.

BA392 Club Class seat 4A
I flew this flight regularly last year and its pretty standard fare..
Boarding
Grungy gate area in terminal 1, but otherwise pretty standard short haul terminal one experience.

Seating & Service
This service compares to domestic US medium haul flights in just about every respect except one.. The crew were smiling, happy and keen to please, even nicer than the FC crew on 112

Arrivals
I *LIKE* brussels airport, its clean, immigration is fast and customs is a breeze..

Sixt Car Rentals
My favorite rental company when I'm on my own dime.. They rent BMWs and Mercedes of various types for not much more than the internationals like Hertz charge for fords.

Hilton Antwerp
My FAVE hotel in Antwerp, the people are great, the remodeled 5th floor exec lounge is excellent, the hotel has wireless internet access throughout (even in the Groenplatz outside).

Well thats it for now, the concorde report (if I write it) will follow in a few days.. I understand that this report doesnt include details on food or many other specifics that people here like, but it does describe the differences I found over my usual carrier (AA) and the things that appealed to me as a businessman travelling through London.

TTFN
Old Apr 5, 2003, 4:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
- excellent report.

Happiness to you...

------------------
Patrick A. Inouye, CMT
volunteer trip reports moderator
Old Apr 5, 2003, 7:10 pm

Were you able to use Connexion on BA112?
Old Apr 6, 2003, 11:38 am

I completely agree with you about the BA first product. Their flights from LAX are superb. Most of us in first enjoy a great full dinner and then have an excellent rest, as the flight allows us to due to the longer flight time. I have taken American as well......THERE IS NO COMPARISION. BA wins hands down.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:29 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
You didn't try the in-flight internet access on BA112 ?? I used it a couple of weeks ago .... was absolutely brilliant !!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
You didn't try the in-flight internet access on BA112 ?? I used it a couple of weeks ago .... was absolutely brilliant !!</font>
Can you tell us a bit more about it? Cost? Ease of use? Speed?

Thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:31 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsimon:
Can you tell us a bit more about it? Cost? Ease of use? Speed?

Thanks.
</font>
The RJ45 jack is next to the PC power port. Speed was not as good as 512K ADSL, but better than 128K ISDN ..... I tried a couple of online speed testers, and it showed about 300K. The cost for the duration of the trial is US$25 per flight.
Old Apr 7, 2003, 4:50 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
The RJ45 jack is next to the PC power port. Speed was not as good as 512K ADSL, but better than 128K ISDN ..... I tried a couple of online speed testers, and it showed about 300K. The cost for the duration of the trial is US$25 per flight. </font>
Thanks. Do they supply the cord, or should one bring their own? Is any configuring required, or is it simply a matter of plugging in and you're on?

Also, do you happen to know the plan once the three month trial is over? Will they continue to offer it on 112, or will that aircraft serve other markets while they evaluate what to ultimately do?

[This message has been edited by dsimon (edited 04-07-2003).]
Old Apr 7, 2003, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsimon:
Were you able to use Connexion on BA112?</font>
Unfortunately (and to my extreme displeasure) the aircraft with connexion was out of service.. a mechanic crashed it in london... ! Connexion returned to service this sunday.
I spoke to a Boeing engineer who set up 112 and was putting a presentation together in the Terraces lounge.. its about 3mbps down and about 128kbps up.. so its pretty much equivilent to cable, except youre sharing it with 30 or 40 other passengers..
Latency is about 600ms apparently.. not good enough to play games, but good enough for email and surfing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.