Reload this Page >

The Great Autumn Mileage Run of 2002

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great Autumn Mileage Run of 2002

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2002, 7:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
What - you want a n o t h e r report?!!
</font>
YES PLEASE!

What ever happened to that potential Namibia trip you mentioned a while back?

Old Oct 6, 2002, 11:37 pm

I love your trip reports! Keep them coming!
You make me want to fly Northwest, but juding from my WBC experience from SEA to TPE via NRT in March, it is not going to happen... but your trip reports are great...

Carfield
Old Oct 7, 2002, 9:38 am

Programs: AAExp
Write a book. I really enjoy reading about your travel. Great reading.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by firpo:
Write a book. I really enjoy reading about your travel. Great reading.</font>
I practically have already. If you took just my two reports from earlier this year detailing my trip on British Airways First Class from Alaska to Australia and back (via Finland),

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002544.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/002707.html

they alone total out to 68 pages using Verdana #10 print. If you throw in the three other reports I posted while I was down there, it comes to 108 pages.

I'm a little surprised as I've only just figured this out myself. I suspect if you added up what I've done from this summer and last fall, it'd add up to well over 200 pages.

There's your book!
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:43 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Very nice and very entertaining. Such stuff pulls me deeper into mad ff-country, much to the disgust of my wife...

Thanx a lot for this spectacular report!!!
Old Oct 11, 2002, 3:57 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
geat reading for me - thank you. I admit, I have never toured Alaska (just stopovers at the airport, years ago when flying Europe - Tokyio, there were no direct flights yet)
Old Oct 12, 2002, 5:56 am

Programs: OnePass
Great trip report! I read every word of it and look forward to more.

I am one who can appreciate reading about the travels of a guy who can go from the pampered comfort of a First Class seat to spending the same night in the back of his pick-up truck

Old Oct 12, 2002, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once again, I enjoyed reading your reports.
I look forward to the next episode. Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:00 pm

Did I miss something? All that NW flying and not one mention of the famous Spinzels. Aaaaahhhh! Those buttery pretzels? Don't tell me they're not offering them anymore?

Very much enjoyed the report. Thank you!

[This message has been edited by AS Flyer (edited 10-13-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 2002, 12:16 am
formerly bLuJaay

Absolutely Amazing Trip Report.

I read every word of this trip report and have read your previous ones as well when you first published them. Such in depth descriptions and detail.

Would love to read a report about your adventures on the road. Those few lines above were a nice treat.

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2002, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bLuJaay:
Would love to read a report about your adventures on the road. Those few lines above were a nice treat. Thanks!</font>
Over the past few months, I've received a number of comments as well as a few personal e-mails encouraging me to write more about my life outside of airplanes and airports. I reckon it's about time I make a public statement on this so...

Let me begin by first thanking all of you who've been so complimentary and appreciative of my reports to the point where you actually want more! As one who really never has written anything short of letters, postcards and e-mails, I am both flattered by and appreciative of the kind words. I put a lot of effort into my reports. They take me a lot of time to write, but then what better time to write than when sitting on an airplane or in an airport lounge.

I discovered and joined FlyerTalk through a lifelong enjoyment of commercial flight. In particular I enjoy Trip Reports because for me the best written reports do a great job of describing and bringing to life the inflight experience, something I've loved since I was but a wee lad. As well, it's a fun challenge to try and live up to some of the high standards set in Trip Reports even though I am not by trade a writer and don't own a camera to enhance my reports with photos.

If I were to start writing about my life outside of airplanes, it'd be more writing than I really want to do at this point. These road adventures and trips I take aren't vacations, they're my life. My job at Denali is seasonal, pays very well and allows me alot of free time each year - it ain't a job, it's a life style. I'm kind of like a well to do hobo. I'm not rich but I learned how to stretch a dollar a long time ago and I learned well. As for trip reports, over the past year what I've written about my flights alone represent a small book. At this point, I feel like writing more extensively about my times in Tasmania or the Everglades or Alaska would cut into the time I have to fully enjoy those places. (Again, there's nothing like an airplane seat or lounge for some good writing.) Really, I'm not a writer at heart. I’m more of an artist. My postcards, the ones I color up, are kinda famous in some places. They also take a lot of time. It's all I can do on my ground based free time just to keep in touch with 25 years of friends met from college to Denali to the 18 years worth of folks I used to tour with selling beer and veggie burritos at over 150 Grateful Dead concerts.

In any event, I certainly look forward to meeting some of you someday when I finally get to a FlyerTalk get together or maybe an old saloon somewhere and perhaps we'll even grow to keep in touch outside of FlyerTalk, in which case you'd likely hear more about my day to day life without having to access the internet. In any event, I hope you can all appreciate where I'm coming from when I say that for now at least I'm most comfortable in keeping my reports primarily about the in-flight experience. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Seat 2A (edited 10-25-2002).]
Old Oct 15, 2002, 7:38 am

I appreciate and understand your thoughts on the requested trip reports.

Thanks for what you do contribute.

BTW, I also love roadtrips. I usually do it with a 15-passenger van and my wife and 6 kids. We love going across the country. A trip up to see your beautiful land is on my list. (Don't worry, the kids are well-behaved and not too noisy. )
Old Oct 15, 2002, 8:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
geat reading for me - thank you. I admit, I have never toured Alaska (just stopovers at the airport, years ago when flying Europe - Tokyo, there were no direct flights yet)</font>
I did the same - remember the huge white bear?

Great report - I agree with the comment about it showing the pleasure of flying. MR bonus aside, it's great to see such enjoyment of flying!
Old Oct 16, 2002, 4:21 pm

Great report! Read every bit of it, because I travel quite a bit on NW and through MEM. One question: Aside from looking at the back of the plane, is there any other method of logging the N-numbers off NW jets? I also log all my flights, (including equipment and N-numbers) but sometimes I find it difficult to identify the correct number of the jet when it is dark or parked at an odd angle at the jetway. CO displays their #'s on the cockpit door, while US displays it in a tag over the entry door. Any such locations for NW? Look forward to more of your reports.....
Old Oct 19, 2002, 11:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
After descending through the burnt remains of Los Padres National Forest and Matilija Canyon on CA 33, I had a great dinner in Ojai before heading on down to Los Angeles.
</font>
Great trip report--it's like deja vu as my experience w/ NW/CO are pretty much exactly what you write--except for the fact that I usually only take one or maybe 2 flights per day and then don't return to the airport for a day or two

Did you have dinner at the Ranch House? You should've at the Goat House!

If you are ever in the area again send me an e-mail, I live right down the 150 on the other side of Hines Peak. I've got a bottle of Rosemount Shiraz (much tastier than the Shiraz/Cab blend) on the winerack waiting
for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.