Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Club World to the Western Cape

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Hi, roger, and many thanks for your tips on the Africa forum! ^

Yeah, we are going to have to go again, for sure. How/where/when is a different question, and whether 2 oldies really want the hassle of exploring further afield. 'User-friendly' does us nicely

And we did see a bit of wildlife ... grey squirrels in Company Park and a rat at the V&A by some recycling bins.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Cape Town, one of my favourite places. The last couple of times that we went we've stayed in Llandudno in a purpose built apartment with sea views.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
another great uncle T post... i will be in your domain soon, just booked a JER B2B.. However i still need to visit the island
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Fair warning: South Africa is addictive. Seriously addictive. Add a safari and a visit to the Panorama Route next time and abandon hope of anything ever meeting that standard again.
Agreed, my first visit to SA was Sept 2015 and I've been hankering to go back. 2017 is filling up already, so I'm looking to book something for North America winter/spring 2018.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Thank you for your irresistible promotion of the Cape! Any who were wavering will now surely already be booking their flights.

Just to put a silver lining on some clouds... The Western Cape is suffering a terrible drought and there are very severe water usage restrictions in place. So as disappointing as you may have found that one day of unseasonable rain, I can assure you we locals were thrilled for the brief respite for our parched gardens.

Originally Posted by T8191
To Franschooek, which took a while to get used to spelling, and means “French Corner”.
Oh the irony! Everywhere else you got it right!
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
A nice report T8191, thanks for posting. The places you stayed outside Cape Town itself looked particularly peaceful.

BA's inconsistence is so annoying. I have four CE and two CW sectors coming up next week, and already know that each of them will be completely different in all except the lack of bread plate.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you both - glad you appreciated my efforts. nI must do my TripAdvisor reviews this weekend, but we've been so busy!!
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Thank you for your irresistible promotion of the Cape! Any who were wavering will now surely already be booking their flights.

Just to put a silver lining on some clouds... The Western Cape is suffering a terrible drought and there are very severe water usage restrictions in place. So as disappointing as you may have found that one day of unseasonable rain, I can assure you we locals were thrilled for the brief respite for our parched gardens.

Oh the irony! Everywhere else you got it right!
  • That is supposedly one of the rationales for writing TRs. I think we should get paid by the Tourism people!!
  • Ah, so glad the drought persisted for the rest of our stay! Surprised nowhere we stayed mentioned it, but then we were consuming more wine than water.
  • Oh, FFFFFFFFS Franschhoek ... there, just like that!

Originally Posted by Genius1
A nice report T8191, thanks for posting. The places you stayed outside Cape Town itself looked particularly peaceful.

BA's inconsistence is so annoying. I have four CE and two CW sectors coming up next week, and already know that each of them will be completely different in all except the lack of bread plate.
  • Yes, they really were ... minimal traffic noise, and utterly relaxing. iWife's researches paid off very well!
  • Sadly that's the way BA is these days. Just booked a slab of AA flights an hour ago - at least we have a fair idea of what to expect
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, I suppose I should mention that last month I found some BA redemption seats for December 2017, so we're going again!!

Price now Ł500 each for JER-LGW-CPT, which is 'survivable' [up from Ł420 on this trip, what's it usually in Club World? Ł3,500?] and a similar but fine-tuned itinerary. Less Cape Town, more Stellenbosch, maybe somewhere else, and Franschhoek. Oh, what a lovely place for a couple of Elders to relax, wine and dine in a warm climate!!
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Oh, I suppose I should mention that last month I found some BA redemption seats for December 2017, so we're going again!!
I cant wait to read the trip report for the next one!

aks120
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aks120
I cant wait to read the trip report for the next one!
On current plans it will be almost identical, so I'll probably do a classic BA 'cut-and-paste' TR
Old Feb 14, 2017, 8:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
....so I'll probably do a classic BA 'cut-and-paste' TR
Don't let standards slip Uncle T - you wont forgive yourself!!

aks120
Old Mar 12, 2017, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hotels now booked for December 2017

All pretty much the same, and asked for the same rooms [except in Stellenbosch)
  • 4 nights C.T. (Cullinan)
  • 5 nights Stellenbosch (Eendracht)
  • 3 nights Franschhoek (F'h Country House & Villas)
We had some nice e-mails from Management after our TripAdvisor reviews, thus hopefully leveraging some small benefits next time. Direct contact with a Managing Director can't be a bad thing, and justifies the time spent writing reviews.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Hotels now booked for December 2017

All pretty much the same, and asked for the same rooms [except in Stellenbosch)
  • 4 nights C.T. (Cullinan)
  • 5 nights Stellenbosch (Eendracht)
  • 3 nights Franschhoek (F'h Country House & Villas)
We had some nice e-mails from Management after our TripAdvisor reviews, thus hopefully leveraging some small benefits next time. Direct contact with a Managing Director can't be a bad thing, and justifies the time spent writing reviews.
Just saw this TR this evening. What an absolute lovely report. You have really upsold the Western Cape. If you can swing it, why not a day trip up the West Coast? Darling, (and that is a town by the way), or Paternoster springs to mind where the menus are more basic, but the fish is good and the prices so reasonable.
Even Hermanus, where I spent many Easter holidays as a kid, is also pleasant, with cliffs, and to the east, beaches. There are also wine farms out that way in the Hemel en Aarde valley. Also, if you like something more distilled, like Grappa, (although we cannot use that word anymore), there is a wonderful gin place in Hermanus, and also, close by, in Stanford, https://www.robertstanfordestate.co.za/

Hope that you have many more pleasant travels, and I appreciate reading them, like so many others on this forum.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for your kind remarks and suggestions. We were half-minded to include Hermanus this time, but in the end decided not to bother. As our flights are effectively 'fixed' by availability of reward seats and the schedule, we could see the trip becoming a bit 'busy' with going here, there and everywhere.

And, of course, I don't want to rent a car. Not worried about driving, but just don't want to have to do it.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thanks for your kind remarks and suggestions. We were half-minded to include Hermanus this time, but in the end decided not to bother. As our flights are effectively 'fixed' by availability of reward seats and the schedule, we could see the trip becoming a bit 'busy' with going here, there and everywhere.

And, of course, I don't want to rent a car. Not worried about driving, but just don't want to have to do it.
Of course - I totally agree. One is here for a bit of a relaxing break, not a "if it is Tuesday it must be Brussels" type of tour. That just means that you have to come back again.

Hope that you have you have a lovely trip down here, and I look forward to reading your TR......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.