BA in Club World to the Western Cape

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Club World to the Western Cape

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
You've done exactly the trip we did but in reverse in SA. We started off in Franschhoek and ended up in CPT having done a few nights in Stellenbosch. Great report and it seems like you had a very good time. The day we went up Table Mountain it was cloudy but when the mists parted you had a stunning view. If anyone else is thinking about walking in the footsteps of Uncle T you might want to visit Robben Island which was fascinating and humbling at the same time. Also if you've got a spare five minutes at V&A waterfront there is often a seal or two on a pontoon by the Table Bay Hotel which is fun to watch.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: BA gold
Good report but you have sooooooooooooo much more to explore of southern Africa.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:15 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by T8191
Because she is absolutely wonderful?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iWife
And yet again I learn a new term from FlyerTalk.

That is a wonderful report, T8191. I'm sure it took a long time to write and to add those great pictures. I've made some notes from it for our own trip in 2017.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Why is your wife called iWife?
Originally Posted by T8191
Because she is absolutely wonderful?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iWife
Ha! I never knew that re the iWife either and thought it was a name you had made up!

Every day is a school day!

This TR really is wonderful T8191. I've read it 3 times now and I love all the detail re the booking details. ^^

As well as enjoying all the narrative and pictures this will be of great reference for future users and that exact itinerary is right up my street/just my thing having never been to SA.

The chicken salad looks fab from JER-LGW as does the Lamb photo with the potato topping in SA. Top tip re the hotel standard room view in Franschhoek, what a wonderful view!

Thanks for compiling this and sharing it. A top notch report! ^
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Uncle T and Auntie iWife - Fab report as always! You have made me want to visit all the places you report on. How did you find security? I ask, as I know as a single female traveller - I wonder if it OK for me.

Regards

Aks120
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by aks120
Uncle T and Auntie iWife - Fab report as always! You have made me want to visit all the places you report on. How did you find security? I ask, as I know as a single female traveller - I wonder if it OK for me.
Airports: absolutely painless and standard ... no issues at all. You have absolutely nothing to worry about ... ah, I'm answering the wrong question!!

Generally, in all locations, we felt as secure as we would in UK. OK, in CPT there were a few homeless in the parks, but they're easily spotted and avoided. Normal situational awareness covered it perfectly well, and we don't tend to wander down too many back alleys and side streets anyway. S'bosch and F'hoek ... completely relaxed, didn't really even think about security. Although, interestingly, the F'hoek hotel had an electrified fence, and a night patrol guard, and electronic gates at night, so there must be some sort of background issue. But then that was a 'high value' target in a semi-rural location right by a main road.

We don't go out late at night, of course ... early to bed and early to rise* is the rule for us!

* For a variable value of early rising

Last edited by T8191; Dec 22, 2016 at 11:50 am
Old Dec 24, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold
Great report. My wife and I returned to the UK in March after 18 months of living and working in Stellenbosch.
Great to see photos and to read about your trip, Oppie Dorp was a regular haunt of ours!

ScotInAfrica
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
great TR and lovely pics!

looks like you had some amazing food!

thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:11 am

Great report, I really enjoyed reading it and learning the term i-wife.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScotInAfrica
Great report. My wife and I returned to the UK in March after 18 months of living and working in Stellenbosch.
Great to see photos and to read about your trip, Oppie Dorp was a regular haunt of ours!
I'm jealous!!

Originally Posted by chris1979
great TR and lovely pics!
looks like you had some amazing food!
thanks for sharing.
We certainly did, and the wine was OK too

Originally Posted by Me2E
Great report, I really enjoyed reading it and learning the term i-wife.
It actually started [before I discovered what it meant] from my collection of iThings ... iMac, iPad, iPod, and even an iCar

And it just seemed even more appropriate after learning what it meant, because she' wonderful!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:17 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Deja vu time. Our first trip to the Cape involved staying in the same places you did with one exception - instead of the Cullinan we stayed at the Southern Sun Waterfront, across the street (and I've returned a couple of times.) But ditto the Eendracht in Stellenbosch, and ditto to the Franschhoek Country Hotel too. Ate some meals in the same places too, including the Stellenbosch Hotel restaurant. Enjoyed them all enormously. Small world.

Fair warning: South Africa is addictive. Seriously addictive. Add a safari and a visit to the Panorama Route next time and abandon hope of anything ever meeting that standard again.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Deja vu time. Our first trip to the Cape involved staying in the same places you did with one exception - instead of the Cullinan ....
Oh, that's spooky!! Clearly we both have good taste

And, yes, I'm starting to worry about this potential addiction already ... just need to get those 2-4-1 options!
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Loved it ^

Loved the TR, Uncle T !

It brought back fond memories of Franschhoek from January past ... and re-invigorated our enthusiasm for the return visit in March!! We stayed in the Country House & Villas there too and loved it but, alas, was too expensive to book for March. Some of the most spectacular restaurants in that little village too ... can't wait to be back... though it looks like Stellenbosch is also worth a visit for lunch some day.

We needed 4 seats to SA, hence transiting JNB. Though it's more hassle than direct to CPT, we had to settle for the connection
Old Dec 25, 2016, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

diamond club freeloader ... oh, someone else with good taste in hotels!!

We couldn't chase hotel prices, as we'd already grabbed the 2-4-1 fares. I shall obviously have to be careful next time!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
What a TR! I put it on one side to read when I had more time, like this weekend. Thanks to Uncle T and Auntie iWife (yes, a new expression to me, too).

Gardyloo is quite right in saying:
Fair warning: South Africa is addictive. Seriously addictive.
I'm lucky enough to have been down dozens of times, both on business and privately. So much info and advice here, so I'll add little.

Others are correct in saying you've only seen a little of SA. True, but I think you've experienced the most user friendly part. Personally, I'm in no hurry to revisit Johannesburg, for example. Yes, contemplate other areas but beware of diminishing returns. I think you'll be back to Western Cape.

You don't like car travel. Nor do I much. But I'd highly recommend a visit to Addo Elephant Park, mentioned above. You wouldn't need to drive all the way. Fly to Port Elizabeth (e.g. BA RFS CPT-PLZ) and pick up a car for the short (<100 km) journey inland to the park. Choose to self-drive in the park or take 4WD guided drives (or both). Great simple accommodation in the park itself or more luxurious b'n'bs outside. Divine! Not as comprehensive as Kruger, but much quieter and malaria-free. (Yes, I know that Kruger can be malaria-free, but why take the risk?)

For those frightened by high CT hotel prices, three possibilities:
  • stay outside CT as mentioned above, e.g. in Hout Bay, Camps Bay or my favourite Sea Point; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...antic_Seaboard
  • bed and beakfasts - I was initially wary because of poor b'n'b experiences in my youth, but SA b'n'bs are simply excellent;
  • surprisingly some chain hotels can be good value. We have stayed several times at the Hilton Cape Town and DoubleTree Cape Town and various Protea hotels (now owned by Marriott) outside Cape Town. Points prices can be attractive.

We'll be back in March, flying QR and staying 5 nights in Stellenbosch and 6 nights in CT inter alia. Counting the days ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.