Search

PresRDC's Big RTW Adventure Part IV: LHR-FRA-DFW-SCL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2002, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
PresRDC's Big RTW Adventure Part IV: LHR-FRA-DFW-SCL

It’s been a while since my last installment of this report. First, I was slammed at school with exams, papers and paper grading. I know everyone says school is so much better than work, but I’m not sure this applies to law school. I cannot wait to start getting paid for my efforts. Then, it was graduation, moving and the NY Bar Exam (a still ongoing process).

Anyway, when I left off, your freshly showered fearless traveler was on his way to the Heathrow Express to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1 . . .

Tuesday, March 12, 2002

British Airways flight BA 910 (LHR-FRA); Airbus A320; Euro Traveller; Seat 15C.

I got to T1 and headed to the Club Europe counter, as I am Oneworld Sapphire. As I was traveling in Euro Traveler (coach), I knew I had to check my bag. However, the agent informed me that it was too early to do this as my flight did not leave for over another three hours. So, with time to spare and no ability to get past security, I decided to spring for a Heathrow Express ticket and visit my old stomping grounds (and to buy shampoo for a very brand loyal friend).

Using my Virgin Flying Club Silver card, I upgraded to First Class for the short hop to Paddington (sadly, this perk has been discontinued). My first aim was to hit the Boots on Piccadilly, as I know it has the sought-after shampoo. Since I was still within the three-hour window, upon getting to Paddington, I proceeded to the BA check-in station, dumped my bag and got my boarding pass. After congratulating myself for being such a savvy traveler, I grabbed a taxi and, after hitting all sorts of traffic delays, I got out on Oxford Street and walked to the before-mentioned Boots. With the shampoo successfully purchased, I took a quick walk down Haymarket to Suffolk Street, where Notre Dame’s London Building is located (the building is literally right across Whitcomb Street from the National Gallery). There is something about seeing the ND flag flying high above Trafalgar Square that brings tears to my eyes. Anyway, with this, it was time to get a taxi back to Paddington and the train back to LHR. Total time in London, one and one-quarter hours.

The non-Fast Track security line was reasonably fast and soon I was enjoying some nice finger sandwiches in the T1 Club Europe lounge. Aside from a nicer meal on board and fast track security in LHR, I am not sure what the benefit is of Club Europe for a Oneworld elite traveler.

The flight was uneventful. A salmon sandwich was served, but I declined as I knew my friend Konrad would be taking me to a great Turkish joint in Frankfurt. As we had quite a long walk to get out of the airport, my bag was already on the carousel when I got there. I love German efficiency.

Friday, March 15, 2002

American Airlines flight AA 071 (FRA-DFW); Boeing 767-300ER; First Class; Seat 3J.

I spent two full days in Germany, catching up with my friend, Konrad. I took a day trip to Heidelberg (?), which was wonderful and another to Konrad’s hometown of Kolbenz and then Cologne. Konrad was nice enough to break his Lenten pledge to not drink so that I would have someone to have a Kolsch with in Cologne. BTW, the ICE train from Frankfurt to Cologne hugs the Rhine and is quite a scenic ride.

On Friday, it was time to head-on. Konrad and I got to the airport at 7:40 AM for a 9:45 AM departure. Check-in was smooth, but upon reaching the Admiral’s Club, the agent wanted to collect a cert for my “upgrade.” After explaining to her that a first class Oneworld Explorer books into A class (and she verified it), she relented. Apparently, the agent in ORD who wrote-out my ticket did not include the fare information on each succeeding book of tickets, a fact that I completely did not notice.

Konrad and I had a quick breakfast before he left for work. I stayed for another few minutes, but, with still needing to clear security, I left for the gate an hour before flight time. I know many people like having ACs outside of security, but I cannot fully relax knowing that I still have security to deal with.

After going through thorough German security (both at the screening point and to get into the gate), I arrived only a few minutes prior to boarding. I was among the first to board, and there was no wanding going on. I assume this is because the rest of the security was so thorough.

As I settled into seat 3J (window in the second of two rows in first class), I was offered a beverage (the usual international options of champagne, water or OJ). Pillow, blanket and amenity kits were already on the seat. First Class was completely full today. The legroom was more than adequate and I enjoyed the little locker underneath the seat in from in which to put my bag, shoes and amenity kit. The seat itself was quite wide and, as I knew from previous posts, would recline fully flat.

Reimo, our purser (and an excellent one at that) handed-out the menus prior to departure. Here is a transcript:

LUNCH

TO START

To accompany your preferred Cocktail or Beverage:
Assorted warm roasted Nuts or Fresh Vegetables served in a cucumber-Dill Dip

APPETIZER
Smoked Salmon accompanied by Capers, Red onion and Sour Cream garnished with Lemon wedges and served with Toast Points.

THE SALAD CART
Select any combination of the following served with Uno’s Foaccia Bread:

Fresh seasonal Greens with Ginger Orange Dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
Roasted Shallot Chateaubriand in a Soy Sauce and Sake Marindae
Your choice of Vegetables including Artichoke quarters, Red Bell Peppers, Kalamata Olives and Cucumbers

ENTREES

LAMB CHOPS
Rosemary-roasted double lamb chops enhanced by a Merlot Sauce, presented with a Parmesan Potato Diamond and Haricots Verts Amandine

LEMON THYME GRILLED CHICKEN
Grilled Breast of Chicken served with sautéed Haricots Verts and sun-dried Tomatoes, accompanied by a Potato Soufflé

PENNE PASTA WITH GRILLED EGGPLANT
Penne Pasta with grilled Eggplant complemented by an oven-roasted Tomato Sauce, smoked Mozzarella and freshly shredded Parmesan Cheese

YANKEE POT ROAST
Tenderloin of Beef braised in a Red Wine Broth, accompanied by oven-roasted Potatoes, Carrots and Pearl Onions.

DESSERTS

THE FRUIT AND CHEESE CART
Pont-l’Évêque, Roquefort and Baby Gouda Cheese complemented by fresh seasonal Fruit, served with selected Crackers and offered with Port and other fine Wines

THE DESSERT CART

ICE CREAM SUNDAE
Häagen-Dazs Vanilla Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Berry Toppings, Whipped Cream and Pecans
-or-
Grand Marnier Fruit Salad presented with Häagen-Dazs Raspberry Sorbret

Select Chocolates

AFTERNOON MEAL

FETA BAKED SALMON
Fillet of Salmon topped with baked Feta Cheese, accompanied by a Salad of wilted Greens, roasted Yellow Bell Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives and a Cucumber-Mint Dressing

PINEAPPLE CHICKEN WITH ASIAN SLAW
Slices of Chicken Breast in a Pineapple Spy Marindae, served with julienned Asian Slaw including Cabbage, Carrots Red Bell Pepper and Fresh Cilantro

ICED BEVERAGES
Iced Tea, Lemonade and Mineral Water offered in chilled glasses with Lemon and fresh Mint

Fresh Fruit

Cookies, freshly baked on board

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Heidsieck Monopole Brut

WHITE WINES

Zaca Mesa Santa Barbara County ‘Zaca Vineyard” Chardonnay 1997

Testuz L’Arbalète Dézaley 1999

Rudolf Miller ‘Bernkasteler Doctor’ Riesling Spätlese 1999

RED WINES

Labouré-Roi Echézeaux Grand Cru 1996

Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauvignon 1995

King Oregon Pinot Noir 1997

SHERRY

Osborne Amontillado Sherry

DESSERT WINE

Graham’s Vintage Port 1983

When I went to fasten my seatbelt, realized that it was not big enough. I am by no means thin, but I have never had an airplane seatbelt not fit. I wonder if there is something about this seat that makes the belt seem smaller. Swallowing my dignity, I asked for an extender, which made the flight much more comfortable. Push back was on time and we were airborne within 10 minutes. As I settled in for the 11+ hour flight (5400 miles at mach 0.81), Reimo took lunch orders. I debated between the lamb and the pot roast (having heard about it before), and opted for the lamb. By drink (Diet Coke) came with both the nuts and the vegetables.

The meal service started within an hour of takeoff. Reimo laid the tray with two tablecloths (one navy blue and one gray – making me feel like a Civil War reenactor). The salmon was quite good, but it was a small serving. I asked Reimo for seconds and was obliged. The salad was good, but the orange dressing didn’t have much flavor. The Chateaubriand was a nice addition, as were all the vegetables. The Uno’s bread was quite nice and fresh. As I tend to get very dry and dehydrated when I fly; I avoided most alcohol, including all the wines. I always feel I should sample them, but I just don’t like to drink when I am flying.

The main course was good, but, predictably, the lamb was done too much me (I like my red meats on the cusp between rare and medium rare). The cheese course was nice, and the sundae was excellent. I know some people think it is tacky to have a sundae as dessert in first class, but I am a simpleton when it comes to dessert and a sundae is just about perfect.

After the meal, the crew lowered the lights and most passengers seemed to try to sleep. I knew that sleep would be impossible for me at this point, so I broke-out the AA DVD player and watched movies. I started with Mutiny on the Bounty (the Mel Gibson version), switched to Apollo 13 and finished with Keeping the Faith (an interesting combo, I know). Reimo did an excellent job of replenishing my drink and offering the remaining cheese as a mid-flight snack.

Ninety minutes prior to landing, they served the light meal. I had seen this menu before on flyertalk and was eager to try the salmon. It was quite good. I very much enjoyed the iced lemonade. The fruit was served in a large bowl from the trolley and featured orange slices, kiwis (my favorite), apples and melons. Excellent. The cookies were a disappointment, because they were oatmeal raison and, ever since I watched a documentary when I was five about people eating bugs, I’ve been unable to stomach the thought of eating raisons (raisons look like the consumed insects). I think AA should offer a choice, as not everyone likes oatmeal raison.

We landed on time, but had a bit of a wait to get to our gate. Apparently, there is quite a little rush out of the A concourse at DFW at 2:30 PM. AA’s Paris flight just beat us to the gate and, as such, immigration was crowded. They opened-up some more booths and I was through in 20 minutes. I didn’t check my bag, so I was out of customs and into the check-in area within a few minutes of clearing immigration.

The Wait at DFW

I had just less than 7 hours before my next flight to Santiago. Reimo had suggested that I go to a mall near the airport to kill time, but I was far more interested in the Flagship Lounge. After the incident with my ticket at FRA, I decided it would be a good idea to get the fare info added to the entire ticket. I was quite lucky to get a good agent who had issued a RTW ticket a few days before. Nevertheless, it took about an hour to get everything resolved with tariffs. He was able to just add the info to the fare box of the ticket and I was on my way after giving him my last SOS for his wonderful help.

There was a bit of a wait at security. Apparently, there is a way for elites to “jump the queue,” but I was unaware of it until I got to the ticket checker. As usual, I was wanded, but was soon on my way to the Flagship Lounge and a much needed shower.

I don’t know if the DFW Flagship Lounge is any better or worse than the others, but I was quite impressed (and yes, I have been to the Wing). There was no wait for a shower and, of all lounge showers I visited on this trip, this one was the best. The floor was heated; it had a huge showerhead directly overhead as well as side jets and a handheld unit. It also had a heated towel rack, a nice set of bathroom amenities and a water bottle. I took a good long shower and, feeling quite refreshed, went-out to enjoy the rest of the lounge.

The rest of the lounge was nice and the time passed quickly. The food selection was good, with a few hot items. Soon, it was time to board the flight (well, not soon, but you get the point).

American Airlines flight AA 945 (DFW-SCL); Boeing 7777-200ER; First Class; Seat 3A.

By this point, I had been awake for nearly 24 hours and was, to say it simply, exhausted. I staggered onto took my seat in 3A. This was Flagship Suite-equipped 777 and I was impressed with the room it gave me. Standard pre-flight drinks wer served and the cabin filled-up to capacity, a fact which surprised me as the cabin was showing as nearly empty on itn.net earlier in the week and the Flagship Lounge list for this flight only had for names on it. I assume it was a lot of upgrades and non-revs. I noticed that one of the first officers’ wife (or girlfriend) was in the cabin, as was the father of the captain. Apparently Flight 945 was a true family affair!

After takeoff, a full dinner was served, offering much the same service as my previous flight. Here is the menu:

DINNER

TO START

To accompany your preferred Cocktail or Beverage:

Assorted warm roasted Nuts or Fresh Vegetables served in a Ranch Dressing

APPETIZER

Smoked Salmon accompanied by Capers, Red onion and Sour Cream garnished with Lemon wedges and served with Toast Points.

THE SALAD CART

Select any combination of the following served with Focaccia Bread:

Seasonal Greens with creamy Garlic with Dill Dressing or Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
Lobster Tail and Claw with Lemon wedges
Your choice of fresh Vegetables including Zucchini, Yellow Bell Peppers, Button Mushrooms and Cherry Tomatoes

ENTREES
The following a la carte vegetables are available with your entrée:

Buttered Asparagus, Grilled Yellow Squash and Whipped Potatoes

ROASTED RACK OF LAMB
Hoisin-marinated Rack of Lamb accompanied by over-roasted Carrot slices and Lemon Mashed Potatoes

CARAMELIZED ONION SOUP
A hearty caramelized Onion Soup garnished wit a Jarlsberg Cheese Crouton

CILANTRO-COATED CHICKEN
Seared Breast of Chicken enhanced by a Tomato Saffron Sauce, served with crisp Polenta Chips and sautéed Zucchini and Eggplant with Roasted Almonds

FILLET OF FISH WITH OLIVE SAUCE
Fillet of Sea Bass lightly breaded, presented with a roasted Red Bell Pepper and Green Olive sauce with fresh Cilantro, served with Parslied New Potatoes

THE CHEESE AND DESSERT CART

Manchego, Appenzeller and Roquefort Cheese complemented by fresh seasonal fruit, served with selected Crackers and offered with Port and other Wines

ICE CREAM SUNDAE
Vanilla Ice Cream with a choice of Hot Fudge, Butterscotch or seasonal Berry Toppings, Whipped Cream and Pecans
-or-
A Grand Marnier Fruit Salad with Lemon Sorbet

Godiva Chocolates

BREAKFAST

Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Fresh Eggs with a Leek and Carrot Garnish, Red Potatoes O’Brien and Filet Mignon

Yogurt

Kellogg’s Cereal

Assorted warm Breakfast Breads

WINE LIST

CHAMPAGNE

Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Vintage Champagne

WHITE WINES

King Estate Oregon Chardonnay

Moreau Chablis Grand Cru ‘Les Clos’

Caliterra Valle Central Chile Sauvingnon Blanc

RED WINES

Chateau La Tour Carnet

Veramonte Cabernet Sauvignon

Forest Glen California Merlot

DESSERT WINE

Graham’s Vintage Port

I ordered the sea bass fillet, as it seemed appropriate owing to my destination. The service started with the usual nuts and vegetables. This was followed by the salmon, the salad (the lobster was a nice touch) and the main course. The sea bass was unfortunately not very good as it was swimming in oil. I ate a few bits and called it quits. I refused the cheese course and the lead flight attendant was nice enough to bring my sundae to me before the sundae cart came around and before I passed-out. It was, of course, quite good. I then put the seat into full recline and was out cold for the next five hours. When I awoke, we were off the coast of Chile and I was treated to a breathtaking view of the Andes.

I tried to get some pictures of the mountains, but, as I later found-out, they did not come-out well. About this time breakfast was served and I opted for the full spread as I was quite hungry. It was fine, but the eggs were a bit dry, which was surprising as they were supposed to be cooked to order.

I had wanted to change back into my street clothes in the bathroom on the left-hand side between First and Business as it is the disabled bathroom and much bigger. I waited for ten minutes and was in the way of the Business Class flight attendants, so I just gave up and did my Chris Farely impression in the small First Class bathroom.

Soon, we were weaving our way through the mountains and into SCL. The taxi to the gate was quick and there did not seem to be many planes around. We pulled next to a Delta 767-300, which was still unloading and I prepared myself for the long wait at immigration. The wait was long, made worse by the fact that you needed to buy some pass that they stapled into your passport. Apparently, we charge Chileans more to enter into the USA and this is some kind of retaliation. This pass was expensive ($60) and they only accepted cash in U.S. Currency. Fortunately, I had taken money out in DFW before the flight or I would have been screwed. I fault AA for not making an announcement about this before we left.

After immigration, it was onto customs, where my bag was x-rayed before I was allowed to leave. It seemed as though everyone had to get their bag screened, which was more of an agricultural thing than security or drugs. Finally, I was out of the airport and met by a throng of people trying to get me to ride with them into town. I found someone who looked like he had an ID indicating he was a licensed cabbie and proceeded to downtown Santiago and the Hotel Carrera.

[This message has been edited by PresRDC (edited 06-23-2002).]
Old Jun 23, 2002, 12:52 pm

A great report. Thanks for the heads up about SCL passport control! Also, is it just me but are the AA FIRST CLASS MENUS just plain old boring and repetitive. It seems that they have the EXACT same smoked salmon appetizer on every international flagship service! I used to love AA first class food, but it sure seems that for the folks at AA, variety is surely not the spice of life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.