Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Trip Report: AF LHR-TLS in Y

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2002, 5:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
First Trip Report: AF LHR-TLS in Y

First time for many years on Air France, and first trip report:

AF 3043, LHR-TLS
May 3, 20:15

Checked in nice and easy at LHR T2 (first time there in years, not great but better than T3 ), through security in a few miinutes, and boarding more or less on time. Equipment was a Bae 146 operated by British European in AF colours with AF crew. We had 18A and C, last row of the plane with no B seat in 17 and 18. Seats a bit old, but about 34” pitch and good width back there – comfortable.

Drinks and dinner service started about 10 mins after takeoff – started from the back, which was good . No choice of food – some sort of tandoori chicken fillet (cold) with salad, bread roll and cheese, teeny apple pie and custard. All surprisingly tasty ! Good drinks selection (one pass only), a tasty Morgon for me, and some Heidseck Dry Monopole for soon-to-be-Mrs Stewie Mac.

Landed at TLS bang on time, and with Hertz #1 Club, was on the road within 15 minutes of getting off the plane.

AF 3042, TLS-LHR
May 7, 18:35

Check in again easy, with a very friendly AF lady – was expecting much worse from the conversation on the AF board. However, when we asked how long it would take to get the Frequence Plus bumf through, she did the gallic shrug thing

While waiting at the gate noticed a ‘SuperCarrier’ with an Airbus painted tail – sorta looks like a puffer fish with stubby wings and 2 engines. I guess that it’s used to transport parts of Airbus fuselages around – anyone got any more info ? Sure looked weird.

Seats this time were 15 A and B – same good pitch, but definitely less width than the pair at the back. Pushback was 6 minutes early, and our takeoff roll began bang on 18:35. Dinner was no choice and similar to the way out (sadly no custard with the apple pie this time ) and no Beaujolais, so champagne for both of us.

Landing was smooth, the walk to baggage reclaim was less than a mile (always a pleasant surprise at LHR) and our bag was first off .

All in all, a very pleasant experience with AF (which is just as well, since my Dad just moved to Agen and we’ll likely be doing it every 3-4 months for the forseeable future).

Thanks for listening.

Stewart
Old May 8, 2002, 12:19 pm

It is neat to read reports from the other side of the ocean. Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep the reports coming!
Old May 8, 2002, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Thanks for the trip report.

As much as I hate AF, I am glad to see that you had a pleasant experience.
Old May 10, 2002, 9:14 pm

I heard that AF catering is decent. Your meal seems to have been better than on BA short flights which consists of a tasty sandwich in a bag.
Old May 11, 2002, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">However, when we asked how long it would take to get the Frequence Plus bumf through, she did the gallic shrug thing</font>
That should be written: GallicShrugThing™

Nice trip report, thanks. AF Catering can be very good, especially on many inter-European routes.

More information on the A300-600ST Super Transporter ("Beluga") can be found at:

http://www.airbustransport.com/specs.html

and

http://www.airbustransport.com/visuals.html

P.S. Congrats to you and soon-to-be-Mrs Stewie Mac.

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 05-11-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.