Reload this Page >

TE ANAU to TASMANIA via DC-3, 737, 767 and 717

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TE ANAU to TASMANIA via DC-3, 737, 767 and 717

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2002, 5:35 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
Great report!!! Gotta like a guy who stays in a youth hostel but flies in First/Biz.
Old Mar 31, 2002, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I am repeatedly impressed by the high quality of your writing. Excellent work - I am jealous of the fabulous places that you have the chance to visit. I'll get to Alaska in August (well Skagway at least!) when I take a weekend jaunt to Whitehorse, YT. I hope the scenery is as magnificent as I am imagining.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 1:38 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Seat 2A, thanks for another superb report, and specifically for:
- The QFLink 717 trip report. I'm amazed (and, of course, pleased for your sake) to hear that the sandwich in your snack box was tasty - my experiences with those have been consistently awful. The non-meal time boxes with breadsticks and dips or muffins are usually OK, albeit small, but the breakfast/lunch/dinner boxes are a disgrace for a full-service airline. In this part of the world anyway! Or am I just spoiled by AirNZ?
- Checking out whether the J-class legrest was electronic or not! The 762 you flew on is the only remaining one with the old style J-class seats, and is due to be retired later this year. (When it used to fly internationally they issued you with Sony Watchmans in lieu of PTV's.) The other 762's have the same style seats as you experienced on the 763's.
- Comments on the seat comfort of the domestic 733 business class seats. They look reasonably comfortble, but that legrest did look like it would be more or less useless due to inadequate pitch in which to use it. The international 733s, on the other hand, have the same J-class seats as on the 763s, though a bit wider and with 46" instead of 50" pitch . For short haul, when I'm more likely to be lounging watching movies and drinking wine than trying to sleep, I reckon the extra width more than makes up for the lesser pitch.

As for your nasty check-in experience in Auckland - I've always wanted to see what its like inside that sumptouous first/business class check-in area, so I'm gutted to hear that you missed out on it! Sorry to hear you were served by a moron...

Anyway, keep the great reports coming. We must be just about due for another BA F marathon, aren't we?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 3:01 am

-Seat 2A,

As always, outstanding. I am part way through and have to go hit the hay, but will finish tomorrow. I have been saving this for a good time to sit back and relax while reading. You have one of the best trip reports on here, love the details! More than just the menu on the flight, I like that .

I have yet to go to the South Island, but want to so bad. I saw pics of Milford Sound when I was young and it has been a dream of mine to get there, so will happen. Brian fell in love with Queenstown and he is picky on what he likes, so Queenstown must be something special. He would move there if he could, that says alot right there.

Sorry about the kiwi beer-i.e. Steinlager... they need to keep it cold for the yanks .
Gotta love that Kiwi hospitality-though makes it tough as heck to leave.

Looking forward to more and thank you again for the details. I am assuming that you have more reports floating around, I will find them. Kia Ora, Michael
Old Apr 4, 2002, 4:07 pm

"The PTV offered six or seven movies, some reruns of popular TV shows which I’ve never seen (I’ve never even seen Seinfeld or Friends yet)"

>>> This is a major NO NO! I will try not to let this negative take away all your many earned points for an outstanding trip report. You need to see Friends...

Ok, loved all the details, more so your personal take on everything, makes it worthwhile to read. I hope that you don't mind but I did forward your report to my aviation list, with I am sure Brian salivating... I want to go see Queenstown just based on his love for it, and yours.

As for Qantas Link, I am sorry about the window seat. I will bet that if you had asked
someone to switch with you, being a yank, they would have given you their window seat. I so adore the Australian people, as I do the New Zealanders...

As for the check in at AKL, sorry, you missed out. It is nice, like the QF private check in for Business and First. My trip report covers both. Service is great and then you have a private access from the Air Kiwi check in lounge to departuers. I am surprised that other airlines haven't followed something like that. BA for one...The agent at "pee-on" should have directed you over there.BAD!

Keep up the good work, we need more...
G'day mate.

Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Hey Now! Thanks for the compliments!

A couple of quick comments:

mad_atta: Re. those Qantas boxes, it should be noted that I actually like airline food so my assessments may be a tad more generous than others... Take 'em with a grain of salt. And a beer to wash it all down!

Re. the upcoming BA Return Marathon: I am typing this from the Qantas Club at MEL. My 747-436 G-BYGG "Rendezvous" awaits me at Gate 11. T-Minus 59 minutes until departure!

Worldtraveler36: My trip report was so long you had to go to bed in the middle of it? Maybe I should make 'em shorter! Nah!

I sure hope that you and all others so inspired will be able to visit New Zealand one day very soon. It is a real gem but the low value of its dollar and the impacts of modern day tourism are beginning to show, I think. Visit as soon as possible!

Re. Forwarding my report to your Aviation List: What is an Aviation List? I get royalties for stuff like that, ya know! Like, maybe a beer in an airport lounge if we should ever meet. Next round's on me!

Re. Seinfeld and Friends: I like TV, I really do, but I just never seem to get around to watching it until about 9 or 10:00pm. As well, I've never really been too keen on sitcoms. I'm sure they're good, just not for me. How about some old Beverly Hillbillies re-runs? And Johnny Quest cartoons!
Old Apr 5, 2002, 10:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Seat 2A:
Hey Now! Thanks for the compliments!

Worldtraveler36: My trip report was so long you had to go to bed in the middle of it? Maybe I should make 'em shorter! Nah!

Re. Forwarding my report to your Aviation List: What is an Aviation List? I get royalties for stuff like that, ya know! Like, maybe a beer in an airport lounge if we should ever meet. Next round's on me!

</font>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Dude! Take ya to Worldclub with an open bar, go nuts! I don't drink, so I nudge my (drinking) guests to have my share . Perrier does it for me, fyi, hint, hint, hint . Chocolate always works, something my European friends have been good about .

It was my fault for starting to read the trip so late. Plus, I read every little detail (literally) on this one cause it was Kiwiland and I had learned quite a bit... There are some trip reports I disect, some I glance over, and there are 2 people on here that I won't touch theirs,sorry...
DON'T YOU DARE MAKE IT SHORTER!!! I love it all and I want more...

An aviation list is a whole bunch of crazy aviation loving people who can never get enough aviation, and I am one of them...

As for Friends, gotta try it. I am hooked on it and I consider it one of America's greatest exports. Qantas showed an episode of Friends up to(from SYD) Brisbane(last year), I was so proud.

What is the QF lounge at MEL-Int'l like? details please! I may be there soon. Done the SYD lounges to the death.

If you get to LA, let me know. Dinner for sure... maybe even Worldclub, if we can sneak in!? he he he

Have a great trip and annoy the BA crew for me...

Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:55 am

A friend sent me a link to your excellent report about traveling from Tasmania to South Africa and I came across another link (so THAT's what that blue colored print is about) to this gem about your New Zealand experiences in the middle of that report. This is all GREAT stuff! Flying on a DC-3, hitch hiking, riding famous trains, premium class travel around the world - Seat 2A, if you haven't already written a book, you ought to. You have a very enjoyable and easy to read style of writing spiced with a good dash of humor. Thanks for these superb reports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.