Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report:Overbooked WBC, delayed ATRīs and a mileage run on Nothwest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2001, 5:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Trip Report:Overbooked WBC, delayed ATRīs and a mileage run on Nothwest

With so much discussion going on in the KLM forum right now, this trip report might be of some interest for future KLM/NW flyers.

Decided to burn some miles in late August for some days under the Florida sun in December and purchased NW standard cheapo fare of DM 646 plus tax for travel on Dec3 from DUS to TPA.One big advantage of the Flying Dutchman Programm is the ability to upgrade any fare, even the ultra cheap DM 495 Germany-Florida this January.
Upgrade for NW 67 was confirmed way back in September and after KLM offered 50 % off on all North America Awards as well I decided to kick me upfront for the return NW 67 as well.
This upgrade was a little bit more difficult to get, but they overbook Award inventory on KL and even on NW you have a good chance of getting want you want, as a KLM Royal Wing.So far I am perfect from the field in trying to upgrade certain segments.

Dec 3
NW 3758
DUS-AMS
ATR 72

They operate two early flights into AMS, the 7.00 am service is normally on time and does not create any problems, but the 8.30 am service is always late, actually it is even worse, since Eurowings who flies this sector decided to use the ATR instead of the BAE 146, on the ATR you have to take a bus to get to the aircraft, which takes sometimes much needed time, especially in AMS.
The new terminal in Dusseldorf was deserted at 7.15, only two agents working for KL/NW, only 4 people in front of me.New agent checked me in and had no clue what to do, I had not reserved a seat and asked about space on the Upper Deck.She told me, that there is no UD on this aircraft ( a 744 ) and gave me 11B.Unfortunately she don`t even ask me, what about my preference on the flight to AMS, I got a window seat,and any window seat is just bad seat on the ATR
Actually I don`t want to create more problems, just because the line was getting longer behind me and she had no clue what to do or how to handle a simple request.I even had to ask for the invitation to the lounge.

Unfortunately KLM still uses the old C Terminal for departure, but the Airport put the Hugo Junkers Lounge, which was originally in C to Terminal B, which means you have to use the only left lounge there, which is operated ny Swissair.It is actually the old British Airways club, right next to the former Junkers Lounge.
The Junkers Lounge was nothing special, but the staff was great, always willing to help out, actually really hard working staff, who cared about the overall condition of the club.Hope they are still working in the new one and KLM moves over fast.

The Swissair Lounge is the poorest lounge, you can imagine, I understand that the have to save some money, but even under those circumstances it is ridicolous.They donīt have any newspaper at all, but you can choose from a collection of 4 magazines, Brigitte, Für Sie, Handwerker and so on.Food and Drink selections were just bad.

First delay was announced quickly, just the regular routine for this service.After getting 2A for this segment with the seat next to me open, we boarded the aircraft at about 9.00 am.We took off at about 9.20 for a 30 minute flight into Schiphol, actually it was a 45 minute flight with touchdown at about 10.05.
After taxiing we were in the bus to the B Gates and were in the terminal at about 10.15 a 50 minute delay, but no agent there to help people making connections, just bad.
Don`t expect Eurowings to have any flight attendant ready for that situation, normally two buses take about 70 pax to the Terminal, but they don`t care who is making their flight and who will not.Don`t get me wrong here, EW is a solid airline with friendly FA`s but they are mostly trained for basic charter operations.
Right now, it is even stranger to fly on a KL/NW flight, operated by EW with new „Partner of Lufthansa/Star Alliance“ stickers on it.

NW 67
B 747-400
AMS-DTW

I promised another FT member to send him a copy of the FD Guide, when I arrived in the US, but had to pick up a copy first in the lounge.The agent told me that they don`t have any here and advised me to take a quick coffee to make it to E6.Actually I was paged 5 minutes later and she was able to find me a copy somewhere.Really a nice gesture, but unfortunately a rare exception, usually the agents manning the KLM lounges at Schiphol are exactly the opposite, by far to arrogant and not very helpful at all.

She was even able to find me an aisle seat in the Upper Deck and got me 78J.Lines were short at the new extra security ceck right before the E concourse, but a long line for the usual questionnaire right before E6.I was the only one at the WBC line, so it took me only seconds to get to the podium, unfortunately much more was coming up.

The security agent was a dutch gentleman in his fifties, obviously taking his job very serious.To make it even worse, my ticket was issued on Sep 12th and that caught his attention, I told him that I booked the flight in August, but had some problems with the agency, cause they needed a copy of my passport, which I faxed them very late.Right now I was in the process of a 15 minute questionnaire about my regular trips to the US.He wanted to see everything from a driving licence!!! to the rental car confirmation and hotel confirmation. I told him that I could give him some conf. Numbers and that would be all.Finally he let me go and wished a nice trip with a little sarcasm on the top of it.

I was on the aircraft about 10.50, it looks pretty full both in Coach and WBC, the Upper Deck was packed as usual.

Pre-Departure drinks, menus and amenity kits were handed out, actually I was curious if NW had changed their kit into two different ones, too.KLM announced the change in summer, but I don`t know if they did it after Sep11.

Main Meal

HORS DŌEUVRE

Italian Ham and Smoked Duck with Cranberry and Fruit Chutney

SALAD

Seasonal Mixed Greens with Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Assorted Breads

MAIN COURSE

Braised Herbed Lamb
With Polenta, Broccole florettes and sun dried tomatoes

Or

Pike Perch Fillet with Basil Butter
Served with roasted potatoes and curry vegatables

OR

Spicy Indonesian Style Beef
Served with rice

Selection of Fresh Fruit and Fine Cheese

Dessert

Chocolate Covered Seasonal Fruit Mousse
Caravali Gourmet Coffee or Tea
Fine Chocalates

Sky Break
Enjoy an assortment of snacks from our SKY BREAK Snack Basket

ON ARRIVAL

Puffed Pastry Square with Ham and Leeks
Served with fresh fruit plate

They offered two different red and white wines, but I really don`t know which of them where on board for that flight.

Champagne Billecart Salmon Brut NV

White Wines

1999 Chateau St.Jean Chardonnay
1998 Lockwood Chardonnay
1999 Wente Riva Ranch Reserve Chardonnay
1999 Chateau Ste. Michelle Chardonnay
1999 King Estate Oregon Pinot Gris
1999 Domaines Schlumberger Pinot Blanc
1999 Lockwood Sauvignon Blanc
2000 Jackson Estate Sauvignon Blanc

Red Wines

1997 Les Fiefs de Lagrange
1998 Diane de Belgrave
1997 Chateau Les Hauts de Pontet Pauillac
1998 Black Opal Cabernet Sauvignon
1999 McGuigan Shiraz Bin 2000
1998 Blackstone Winery Merlot

Port

Fonseca Bin 27 Port

The meal service was mediocre, the Ham and Duck were just bad, the Salad OK.
I chose the Perch which was really good,same with the veggies but the roasted potatoes were just bad, actually more meshed than roasted

The lady next to me chose the beef, which looked more like a coach meal and after two more minutes it looked liked a bad coach meal.She was really disappointed.

The Fruit plate, especially the Cheese was very good, but I doubt people who donīt like stronger tasting cheeses would like it,too. It was some blue cheese cream and two pieces of young gouda and ( very good ) old gouda.

The two FA`s working the Upper Deck really did a good job, very attentive and committed to provide quality service, it turned out they were working for Republic back in those days and are based in Atlanta.

Movie selection was really bad, first of all they don`t show the movies announced in the OV mag, it was Planet of the Apes and some boring movie with the X Files guy about aliens capturing Glen Canyon......

The arrival snack was indeed good, something like a small Flammkuchen from the Elsass.

Landed in Detroit a couple of minutes ahead of schedule and it took me 30 seconds to clear immigration, just two questions where I am going and when I am going to leave....
But a very young customs officer searched my luggage with great passion.

Back at the security check right before the bus departure, there were 5 soldiers with huge maschine guns on their back, they looked very serious, actually the whole scene created more fear than confidence, cause the area is pretty narrow there and you are standing right in front of 5 big men with big weapons.

Took the second busstop to proceed to the next World Club, which was crowded, a nice agent chcked my upgrades for the upcoming flights and confirmed them.

NW 484
DTW-TPA
DC 9-50

Although some of the DC 9 are really old, NW has done a great job of remodeling the interior, you don`t feel like being in an 30 year old aircraft, at least not until you see the strange colour of the cockpit.I am not sure, but the flight seemed to be full, F was full.
They served a nice snack, a quarter of white bread with greens, tomatoes and slices of marinated chicken.In addition to that some cole slaw and a huge piece of chocalate cake.
Very good and even better than the main meal on the transatlantic segment.
Flight time was around 2.20 h

Booked a small 5 segment one day mileage run from TPA to MCI but had to cancel it, cause NW really downsized ist operation from MEM, so I ended up with a 4 segment one night stay run to Birmingham, AL for DM 113 ( 51 USD )

Dec 4
NW 881
A 320
TPA-MEM

Was in 1D , probadly the best row in the F section of the A 320.Just a beverage service for the 80 minute afternoon flight.

NW 934
DC 9
MEM-BHM

Again in 1D, just a short 35 minute hob, very attentive FA, refilled my glass with liters of Cranapple juice.Just a FA, who seem to be a perfect fit in that job, always friendly and helpful, not afraid to take the extra step, even on a 35 minute flight.

DEC 5

NW 927
DC 9
BHM-MEM

Once again in 1D, 1C was open as well as another seat in F, 40 minute flight, nive views of Memphis and The Pyramid.Same great crew as the day before.

Actually it was the first time for me in the new WC in Memphis, really nice and far superior to these old Clubs in Detroit.But it was really packed the day before and started to get crowded this morning again.Snack selection is much better now, the usual cookies but they offer some Tillamook cheese and sesame sticks as well.Breakfast options were OK as well.

NW 878
A 320
MEM-TPA

2D this time, they offered a breakfast on that flight, cereals, joghurt, a banana and a bagel with some cream cheese.
Again a 80 minute flight with nice views of the Tampa Bay area.

Dec 9

NW 437
B 757
MCO-DTW

6C this time, took me quite some time to checkin and my luggage had to be x-rayed which took another 15 minutes, just because the luggage cart guy took his time.
Huge lines before the security check and the people mover over to the gates 30-59.
Was the last one to board the aircraft, expect up to 45 minutes for security checks at MCO right now, at least around noon on a Sunday.

They served a great snack again, white bread filled with turkey breast, greens, cheese and tomatoes, a small salad and a delicious piece of cheese cake.
2 hour flight, aircraft completely full.

Arrived in DTW around 1.45 and checked in the WC, where some crowds gathered around the TV`s to see the Lions go 1 and 12 actually 0 and 13 after another tough last minute lost.They showed some games in Germany and they played really good in some stretches against the Cardinals and Packers.
But at least the Pistons are a much improved team this season, Joe Dumars is doing a nice job there, actually the Hill against Atkins/Wallace trade turned out to be a brilliant move for the Pistons.

NW 68
B 747-400
DTW-AMS

They needed two volunteers to get downgraded to Coach and offered USD 500 in TCV`s and a whole middle row in the back of the bus, actually to good to pass on.So I find myself in 65D with a row of my own for the 7 hour flight back to AMS.
The other AMS service was overbooked in WBC as well, same with the FRA service, so they had no chance of rebooking me into WBC but USD 500 was a fair offer.
Dinner was OK, meshed potatoes with a beef steak and a fresh salad, was able to sleep 4 hours on those 4 seats, only to wake up for the breakfast which was a joghurt and a banana muffin.

KL 1855
ATR 72
AMS-DUS

Back in the infamous ATR, but I had a whole row again, certainly the luggage did not show up, right now I am batting 2 for 7 on luggage arrivals since March, they have huge problems at Schiphol and have just not enough space to put all the luggage on the ATR 72.Unfortunately they don`t make any difference between luggage and luggage with all kinds of priority tags on.....

But they delivered the luggage back to my home a couple of hours ago, but certainly no coupon or anything on it, but a friend of mine gets a DM 100 TCV every time he is complaning about this issue.......

Stayed at different Holiday Inns to make my final stays for the current 25k promotion.The Sunspree Resort just before Sunshine Skyway is a really nice Resort, available in Off season starting at USD 59.They just opened a new Holiday Inn in Sarasota and I can recommend that location for sure.Lodge Net, a very nice room and a nice Alamo Restaurant, it is located on I 75 Exit 40 and was available for USD 59 as well.

Finally I hope everybody enjoyed that ( toooo ) long report, I was really satisfied with the overall NW service, unfortunately their WBC meal service was not really special and the KL Lounge agents at Schiphol are really just bad early in the morning, but NW did a really good job overall.

Old Dec 10, 2001, 6:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
So will you get your Flying Dutchman points back for taking the downgrade?
Old Dec 10, 2001, 8:22 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
I'm surprised to see that NW overbooks their premium cabin, esp since they only have one (i.e. business class). Did NW have any trouble finding another WBC pax to downgrade?

To say the least, they didn't just deny WBC seats to people who used mileage to upgrade.

I find it funny how NW offers only a $500 TCV to downgrade and wants around $3,000 (the fare difference) to upgrade from Y to J if you're traveling on a leisure ticket.

- Pat
Old Dec 11, 2001, 6:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Funny enough, when I boarded the plane the guy who downgraded as well, had occuopied row 66, he was sitting only 5 ft away from me in the lounge, when Keyshawn Johnson had the late touchdown, only a few seconds after they announced that they need volunteers.We talked a little bit about NW`s offer with the flight attendant and had quite some fun.Actually two of his companions still were in WBC.

They printed me a form to get my FD points back, he will certainly get back the difference between the Coach and WBC fare.

Actually someone posted that they never overbook WBC, so I was surprised, too.
But as long as they have other airlines to put passengers on, like LH and BA they have some more alternatives.

A young agent asked her supervisor about a automatic downgrade, cause I was upgrading miles points but she said, that there is no was to get a Royal Wing.Good news for me, actually she was smart enough to block those two rows in the back, which made it much easier to find volunteers.
Old Dec 11, 2001, 7:04 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for the fine report, Threy!
Old Dec 11, 2001, 11:56 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanx a lot for this very interesting report!!!
Old Dec 11, 2001, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.