Business trip to SJC on AA...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2001, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum

Hi,
Just a quick trip report from a short 3 days business trip I took to SJC from AUS.

Nov 1st, AUS-SJC, AA 1881 (MD-80), 0710-0859

I got to the AUS airport with my coworkers (about 25 folks in our group) at 5:00 or so. Economy checkin was long and took about 20
mins. Since I have no status with AA, I couldn't use first class line which was mostly empty. Having secured the boarding pass, we proceeded to security and got through in about 5 mins or so. One of my carryon was machine sniffed at security, and then it was off to the gate to wait.

The flight was scheduled to depart at 7:10 with boarding to start 30 mins before (6:40), but they didn't start boarding until about 6:45 or so. Boarding went smoothly and the plane was about 80 to 85% full. I got a window seat as usual and I had the seat next to me open, a nice treat! Anyway, we pushed back on time and took off. Once in the air,
the FAs served beverages but as expected no meals. They did the beverage service 3 times throughout the whole flight, the 2nd right
after the first pass, then did another beverage service about 3 hours into the flight (a hour before landing). Although no meals were provided, they handed out those "breakfast" bars.

Arrival was uneventful, although we were in a holding pattern (circled 3 times) before proceeding to landing. We parked at the southern AA terminal/concourse and made our way to the waiting bus for the ride to Hyatt Regency at SFO. Yes, that's right--we flew all the way to SJC and then take a bus to a hotel right next to SFO, but apparently it
was either cheaper for my company to fly us to SJC and take a bus, or they couldn't find a nonstop flight to SFO (well, if UA hasn't cut the AUS-SFO at this time, they'd find one).

Nov 3rd, SJC-AUS, AA 836 (MD-80), 1110-1629

Again, we were bussed from our Hyatt Regency hotel to SJC and got there 2 1/2 hour before flight (don't ask me why--it was company's
decision to bus us over there that early). While most of my co-workers went to the ticket counter to check in, I bypassed that and went through security (no waiting time, no wanding or machine sniffing), got to the gate and found no one to check in with. So I
hung out at the gate until the counter for the gate next to mine opened. Taking the opportunity, I went and checked in, even through they weren't handling my flight. Then I just kicked back and read until departure time. And speaking of departure time, we started boarding about 5 mins or so after the "scheduled" boarding time, and a
selected few paxs were asked to submit to a more through inspection of their stuff. I wasn't one of the selected though, and boarded with Group 4 (since I had seat 15F). Again, I found the seat next to me open,
so that was a good treat. We pushed back a few mins late, I think, and proceed to take off. Once in the air, we had a beverage service, with a bag of chips, bigger than UA's usual economy nut bag, and another beverage service about a hour before landing. The plane was about 85% full, less than half full in first class.

I found the seat quite comfortable, more comfortable than the United's new "redesigned" seat (which I need a pillow in the back to make it more comfortable), but that may be because I had the seat next to me
open both flights. In addition the seat pitch seem to be about the same as UA's E+ seat, although I haven't flown UA in economy in a little while. Also I found the service in AA economy pretty nice. I am impressed with AA and their folks, although I would stick with UA for now. But at least AA is now my 2nd airline of choice.

------------------
UA PremExec (2001)
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.