Best Short Hop Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Short Hop Flights?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2001, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Best Short Hop Flights?

Inspired by the MIA-Cancun trip report, which described a 75-minute drinking binge, I thought I'd start a thread on best short flights (under 90 minutes).

I think mine was on Cayman Airways from Grand Cayman to Miami when my girlfriend and i got bumped up when we were in our mid-20's.

I remember cold lobster tails and splits of Mumms champagne (we each even got to take one home -- I know it's not DP, but the splits were handy).

My total recollection is that this was a great flight for a 1-hour jaunt....

I also had a surprisingly good dinner F flight on Alaska Air from Portland to Las Vegas...not sure why, but I remember it being a cut above...

CX from HK to Bangkok was full dinner service ...but I think it was more than 90 minutes...I suspect that some of the 75-90 minute inter-Asian routes would be pretty nice?
Old Sep 7, 2001, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
SQ: AMS-MAN

Took this flight a couple of months ago. Under one hour in a 747. Sat in Biz, upper deck.

The FA's gave me a menu after I sat down. I could smell my chicken crep cooking before take off.

It was the tastiest airline meal I have had in a long long time.

Hot towel service.

Two or three drink services.

SQ smiles!

And again, all in about 50 minutes.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 7:54 am
LLZ

This won't compare to the international carriers as it still shows our domestic carriers, even back in 1981, were lagging behind international ones. It is, however, service you'll never see again on such a short flight:

1981 DFW-LUB 50 mins Delta 727-200

Roast beef sandwich with potato salad. Horseradish sauce on the side. Served on china in coach!

Old Sep 7, 2001, 1:10 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Lubbock, TX is LBB. I've flown DFW-LBB on AA back when they used mainline (long after 1981, so no meal). Now it's Eagle (or a DL RJ). WN is the only mainline now.
Old Sep 7, 2001, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

While some my think I'm crazy, I honestly really enjoy flying AA (in coach) on the ex-Reno routes out of SJC (LAX, LAS, PHX, SAN, SNA, SEA, etc.). Plenty of room, interesting stuff to look at out the window, and often free drinks. For the most part, I'm a United loyalist these days, but not when it comes to buzzing up and down the coast.
Old Sep 8, 2001, 7:30 am
Gui

The DL flight from SLC-LAS only 45-50 minutes. From the air you can see Bryce, Ceder Breaks..fly over the Grand Canyon, Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.

Old Sep 8, 2001, 8:33 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
ZRH-LUG (Lugano-Agno, Switzerland), Crossair Saab 2000, flying time approx. 25 minutes:

Refreshing towels. A glass (real glass) of Champagne or OJ, two salmon or smoked cheese sandwiches, fruit, chocolates. And a spectacular view of the Swiss alps.

Sometimes available from ZRH for CHF99 ($61) RT. Gives you 1000 Qualiflyer Status miles + any e-service bonuses you qualif(l)y for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.