Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Good Inflight Entertainment in Coach Class -- Which Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2001, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold

Message removed.

[This message has been edited by Sankaps (edited 03-25-2002).]
Old Jul 26, 2001, 6:33 pm

Continental has a pretty good entertainment system in coach that features many sitcoms, movies and also games to play. I hear US Airways has a pretty good system also. Most majors will now have PTV's in coach class on the newer Aircraft, most notably the 777 and 764. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Eric

PHX/BDL
Old Jul 26, 2001, 7:32 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You don't mean who has the most entertaining pax, right? They don't count!
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:24 pm

Programs: SQ Solitaire PPS AA nothing short of 1m miler US CP, HH Diamond,
US Airways system sony video and audio on demand is industry leading. Available on all coach flights with the new Airbus 330.
You get the same programming than in First or Business class the only difference is that you have a smaller individual screen.
You can choose from around a 20 movies TV shows and documentarys and about 20 audio programms. The videos you can start and stop whenever and whatever you wish and on the audiotracks you can even choose individual songs from an album.At my opinion the best system in coach for transatlantic.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 3:16 am

Programs: Lots of shiny colors
I was going to say BA but after reading eurousair's post I have to say USAIR wins hands down.

So with the 15.000 miles bonus promo for flying USAIR before 31/08/01 on Qualiflyer I think I just found my summer holiday carrier!
Old Jul 27, 2001, 6:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
I have to agree that US Airways is the best I have seen. The on-demand video is great. There has always been a good selection of movies and TV programs on the flights I have taken. However, there weren't any games as of this past January. I know the Sony system has the option of adding games, but I don't think US Airways has installed that option. The other one's I've experienced were American's 777 which I didn't like. The selections were horrible and no way to pause the movie. British Airways 777 system broke a little into the flight, so I didn't get to experience much of that.
Old Jul 27, 2001, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Having read the comments about US Airways' IFE, I'm curious about the quality of their audio programming. My chief complaint about AA's IFE is that the audio stream is of such poor quality, even with high quality headphones, that I can hardly stand it. There always seems to be a faint (but clearly audible and annoying) background noise, sort of a high-pitched buzz or hum as if something is not grounded properly. When AA's 777s came on line I was hoping it would have a superior IFE system but, sad to say, while it is an improvement over the 757, 762/763 and 738, the background hum is still present.

I have always found UA's audio to be of very high quality, especially on their 777, 319/320 and 744. So I'm wondering now about US: any comments on their audio quality?

Thanks,
Bill
Old Jul 28, 2001, 5:53 am

Donīt remember any problems with USīs audio quality (but the last time I flew with them in transatlantic coach was September). The new system is awesome - the ability to pause/rewind etc. makes it better than some airlinesī business class systems.
The only problem I can recall is that sometimes a few frames are skipped or the image freezes for a second. Also, every time they make an announcement whatever youīre watching temporarily stops.
Yonatan
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:02 am
LEB

Just finished a RT Europe on a US A330 in Envoy over and Coach coming back. Audio was good quality. I bring along my own noise cancelling headsets (worth the $99 if you fly frequently) which really helps the sound quality (I use the provided Bose NC sets when in Envoy). The entertainment system on the A330 is great.

One of the 757's I flew on recently had the noise you speak of bbinchi, I tried a neighboring seat jack and it was fine. Out of eight separate planes that was the only one with funky audio.

There have been a few occassions when flying A330 over to Europe that the Envoy NC headset doesn't work or has strange audio components. In all cases we've been able to remedy it by asking the FA for a new set.

Old Jul 28, 2001, 8:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Thank you, yonatan and LEB, for your comments about the audio on US. I, too, bring along my Sony NC20s and have also tried adjacent seats' audio jacks on AA to no avail. The whole system on each a/c seems to be plagued with the problem...I remember first encountering the hum on the old DC-10-30s to/from HNL. At the time I wrote it off as old equipment but, now, it seems endemic to the IFE system that AA bought for their planes. Such a shame. I must try US across the pond...sounds wonderful!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.