Wiki Posts
Search

possibl;y the most stupid milage run ever SQ F SFO-ICN-SIN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2001, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
possibl;y the most stupid milage run ever SQ F SFO-ICN-SIN

I may need to revisit this later to amend details - major jetlag kicking in !!!

Jon

SQ15 - SFO-ICN-SIN First Class

The completion of my trip, a marathon 30-hour flight back to London and sweet home - for 2 days then back to the states under somewhat more normal circumstances. (VS - Economy - not enough time to plan a RTW)

Having enjoyed the flight from FRA-JFK in the Connelly leather suites, this would be an easy 30 hours.

I arrived at the airport a little after 2.00 leaving lots of time to check in. Having taken RUDI's advice I asked them to split my ticket and assign a different seat in each leg, so as to maximize my Virgin FC tier points and miles. When you need 50 points for the highest status, an extra 12 can make a difference. In fact this RTW has completed my virgin status requirements for the year ahead - just as well as the current economic outlook means I may not do to many Upper Class in the near future. It was going to take a little time to split the ticket, so in the mean time I wandered up to the Virgin Clubhouse to have a chat with the barman. Then down to the Kris lounge. The lounge is not all that amazing, had some noodles and a beer, before wandering down to the plane. Jacqueline was the most beautiful woman I have ever met, and just happened to be in charge of the P cabin today. It was only upon boarding the aircraft that I noticed a strange think – no suites. I was on an airbus. ****. Well the seats were comfy and they go to about 160 degrees. But today it would be the service that would shine through. Although things would be more wonderful than ever today. In seat 1E was the CFO for SIA and in seta 2A was the wife of the Senior Minister for Singapore. They had attended the delivery in Seattle of the 2 new 777 (2 class). Listening in to a conversation I can tell you the following. 2 Class is very much the way forward, a strategy they go from Virgin. In fact he said there main business areas are Business, Economy and Cargo – I believe Mr. Branson used those very words recently. They will also start a new service next year to a new as yet undecided American destination. Favorites are Phoenix and Dallas/Houston. Where ever the final destination, it will run through Hong Kong. They may move an ORD flight through HKG as well.

Upon arrival at Changi, I was told the lounge (kris) was open and that I was free to use it. I tried to get some sleep in the slumberette, but jetlag had by this time well and truly set in. I have no idea where I am or what timzone I want to be in. The Kris Lounge – well much has been written or more to the point asked about the F class lounge – I am glad to report that it is bigger than the raffles lounge but has less people in it. The slumberettes are wonderful, and are far better than I imagined – I will make use of these on my return from MEL to FRA in all of two weeks.

So what have I learned from this experience. Well, even when the seats aren’t the best the service is still the best in the sky. The ground facilities, with the exception of the virgin clubhouse are magnificent. I am very happy that flyertalk exists and that the Star Alliance continues to be the best way to fly.
The menu’s for the flight are below, Everything was wonderful.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
Meal on SQ15 First Class SFO-ICN-SIN

Light Meal

Appetizers:

Mozzarella Cheese with tomato salad and balsamico dressing

Entrees:

Korean style spiced grilled chicken with seasonal vegetables and steamed rice

Wok fried veal with black pepper sauce, chinese greens, carrots, mushrooms and fried rice.

Spinach and mushroom cannelloni, with smoked salmon cream sauce and mixed salad

Desert:

Opera cake with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce

Dinner:

Canapés:

Satay, with onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetizers:

Chilled malossol caviar with melba toast and condiments

Scallops with orange salad, with walnut vinaigrette

Soup:

Cantonese chicken soup with lotus root and red dates

Cream of cauliflower

Salad:

Caesar salad

Entrees:

Seared beef mignon with cabernet sauce, sautéed spinach and potato sour cream ravioli

Korean style fried fish fillet with green beans braised cabbage roll and steamed rice
Wok fried turkey with dried chili and shallots, bean curd with vegetables and fried noodles

Pan fried prawns, tomato and red capsicum sauce, asparagus and linguine and shiitake mushrooms

Dessert:

Lemongrass infused peach jelly with raspberry coulis and berry’s.

Supper

Appetizers:

Chilled malossol caviar with Melaba toast and condiments

Smoked Salmon with apple walnut salad

Soup :

Do ga ni - Beef soup Korean style

Entrees:

Pan roasted monkfish with creamy curry mussels in noilly prat sauce

Korean style beef tenderloin in bulgogi sauce, seasonal greens, carrots and steamed rice

Grilled chicken breast, southern style, spinach mousse, carrots and fettuccine

Stir fried seafood with tomato chili sauce, vegetables and fried onion

Cheese

Desert

Bitter chocolate and almond torte with coffee ice cream

Wine List

Champagne:
Dom perignon 1993
Krug Grand cuvee

White:
puligny-montachet 1997 charton et trebuchet
Chablis premier cru vaillons 1998 bouchard et fils
1996 geyser peak winery reserve chardonnay

Red:
Beaune premier cru 1996 bouchard pere et fils
Beaune avaux premier cru 1996 bouchard pere et fils
1997 pine ridge crimson creek merlot napa valley

Port :

Dow's 20 year old tawny port - absolutely spanking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.