Wiki Posts
Search

Must do and don't bothers on Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2001, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Must do and don't bothers on Kauai

Since you were so helpful as a group to offer Jabber some thoughts on Maui, I trust you can come up with some similar thoughts for Kauai. Mrs Duger and I are off for her 40th next week and will be staying at the Marriott ( on points of course). Plans are for beach, pool, beverages and great food. Have a topless Mustang reserved from Hertz and plan on exploring points North to Princeville and the southern beaches. I have done my basic research by buying the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook, but first hand opinions are appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 11, 2001, 8:29 pm

1. Have a Tropical Itch and Crab Wontons at Dukes at the Marriott (or my favorite, a Dig Me Daquiri) immediately upon arrival.

2. Say hello to Kurt and Brandon at the Marriott pool bar. You will get to know them well during your stay and they will take good care of you.

3. Relax.

That's about all the "must do" there is here.

If you like Sushi, Kintaros Japanese restaurant is excellent, reservations recommended.
A Pacific Cafe in the Safeway shopping center in Kapaa is also very good. Reservations needed.
Chucks Steakhouse in Princeville is very good also.

The rest you can find out from the Ultimate Kauai guidebook. (Sunset at the Princeville hotel lobby bar, snorkeling in Poipu, lunch at the Hyatt, Anini Beach, Ke'e Beach, Hanalei Bay, WalMart, the ABC store you can walk to from the Marriott, Golf at the Prince course if you are a golfer, hiking Napali, etc, etc, etc)

If you decide to golf at the ocean part of the Princeville Makai course our house is the green/concrete tile asian looking house next to the 7th hole tee. Stop in and say hello!

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 04-11-2001).]
Old Apr 12, 2001, 5:04 am

Here's some Kauai info from The Makai Guy: http://members.toast.net/fdw/northsh/
Old Apr 12, 2001, 7:57 am

Programs: United
We took a helicopter tour and really enjoyed it. I think this is the best island to take a helicopter tour on because so many of the things you see from the air are inaccessible on foot or by car. Also, while you are in Princeville, have a drink a the Princeville resort around sunset. It has a phenomenal view of Hanalei Bay. I'm sure you don't need to be a guest at the hotel to eat or drink there. Have a good trip.
Old Apr 12, 2001, 8:03 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but there's some great hiking in Kokee Park. The Alakai Swamp Trail is 13 miles of fun and mud. I haven't done it for a while, so I don't know if this is finished yet, but they were slowly putting in a boardwalk to protect the habitat there. It won't be as fun when it's complete - no more slogging through knee-deep mud - but still a lot of native plants and birds to see. Toward the end is the stunning Kilohana Overlook. Do you know if the boardwalk is finished LIH Prem?

The Huleia and Wailua rivers are fun to kayak.

[This message has been edited by letiole (edited 04-12-2001).]
Old Apr 12, 2001, 8:34 am

Eat at the Roadrunner Cafe, in Kilauea on your way to or from the Princevile area- Great Bakery and beakfasts and Mexican food.

The guided nature walk at the Kilauea Lighthouse offers stunning views and a chance to see spinner dolphins and seabirds nesting. Rez are necessary.

------------------
Old Apr 12, 2001, 9:38 am

When you explore the north side of the island, don't forget Hanalei. It's a wonderful town. Get shave ice at Shave Ice Paradise and stop for lunch or dinner at the Hanalei Dolphin -- their bull burger (a thin-cut filet mignon) is outstanding! And Hanalei Bay is a gorgeous body of water.
Have a great trip! We don't go again until October
Old Apr 12, 2001, 9:52 am
CG

Just got back from a trip 3 weeks ago. The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook is the best guidebook I have ever used, their descriptions are all accurate and up to date and it is really easy to use. I also recommend you check their web site just before you go since it has last minute updates to the book. Have fun.
Old Apr 12, 2001, 4:24 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I just got back from Kauai yesterday - went there for my 1st anniversary. We also stayed at the Marriott.

As far a food at the resort goes, Duke's was pretty good. There is a restaurant next to the pool that has a Friday night buffet, that I wasn't that impressed with.

I'll second the recommendation of The Pacific Cafe. Its location isn't scenic by any means, but the food is top notch.

Across the street from the Marriott is an Italian place with good food called Cafe Portofino.

If you're looking for a scenic place to eat, the Beach House down in the Poipu / Koloa area is nice for dinner at sunset. But I think the food has slipped a bit since the last time I was there.

As for lunches, don't order any burgers at Whaler's Brewpub. The Brewery at Waimea has decent food. And their was a place in the shopping center in Princeville, which I can't remember the name of, that had a good catch of the day sandwich with a cajun preparation.

Waimea Canyon is beautiful - definitely worth the drive. After seeing the Canyon, continue up the road to the very end of it for some good views of the Napali coast. The weather can be hit or miss for viewing the coast, but it seemed to change pretty rapidly. If there is a huge cloud bank blocking your view, try waiting 10 or 15 minutes, it may move on.

Jason
Old Apr 13, 2001, 1:32 am

Originally posted by letiole:
Do you know if the boardwalk is finished LIH Prem?
No, I haven't been there.

-David

[This message has been edited by LIH Prem (edited 04-13-2001).]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 7:41 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Don't believe anyone has mentioned the banana pancakes at the Kountry Kitchen restaurant in Kapaa. They are wonderful!
http://www.hiohwy.com/k/kounkitc.htm
Old Apr 14, 2001, 2:31 pm

Is the Classic Hawaiian Desserts restaurant still in Lihue? We had very inexpensive and wonderful meals there. We happened upon it during their opening summer before last (1999).

The exterior belies the food and the interior ambiance even though at first glance it looked like a plate lunch place. The lunch and dinner menus were fairly basic but well prepared and delicious. The desserts, however, were artistry!

The chef, I believe formerly worked at the Kaui Hyatt and Sam Choy was in attendance for the opening celebration.

[This message has been edited by 2bgrounded (edited 04-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by 2bgrounded (edited 04-14-2001).]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 6:30 pm

I've seen people here and on the TUG board talk up Kountry Kitchen. We tried it once, and thought it was terrible. The place was dirty, and smelled like a greasy spoon.

Old Apr 14, 2001, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great responses! 6 days to go. A couple of questions: Dress codes, Pacific Cafe slacks and a sport shirt, or shorts and a golf shirt. We don't mind dressing for dinner, but trying to limit Mrs. Duger to 2 suitcases

Helicopter tours, I will probably be going solo. First hand knowledge appreciated. It seems like Jack Harter, Inter-Island and Air Kauai are favored.

David, I plan on playing as much golf as possible, and will pre-announce my arrival by launching a Maxfli towards that green house on the 7th tee. Prepare the Mai Tai's!!

Thanks again for the responses and we can hardly wait.

--Duger

Old Apr 14, 2001, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
LIH Prem:

Sorry to learn of your bad experience at the Kountry Kitchen. Each time I have been there (although it has been some time ago) it was very good and friends who were there last fall reported that they liked it very much. Now I'm sad to think it may have gone downhill; I really loved those banana pancakes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.