Wiki Posts
Search

Continental: EWR-SFO-EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2001, 4:19 pm
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Continental: EWR-SFO-EWR

Decided to take a big step in my quest for SILVER by December, 2001 by taking this airline as opposed to my usual UNITED...

CO 149 (EWR-SFO)

Friendly PC agents in teh morning

It was a mid morning flight and I was happy to see my upgrade cleared as I used teh E ticket check-in. Had the friendly staff at the "official Flyers" President's Club at EWR, near gate 120. All four fought over who got to finish check in.

Enjoyed a coke at the bar and the bartender who looked new realized it was a godo idea to leave containers of water and orange juice out at the bar.

The flight was going to delay boarding 5 minutes. it was nice to get on early and find overhead space.

Mike and the boys

The best thing about this flight was the flight attendant staff. Mike (the purser) made everyone feel at home with a great sense of humour and attentive service. The whole F-A crew was male and switched back to working coach and Business/First. The four of them took the time to listen to passengers, get whatever they needed, whereever they sat and helped with bags and listened to their stories. Mike hada blue shirt but the others had captain's bars )and I thought they were the flight crew.) Interesting uniform.

Freedom of Choice, and ageless Signorney

I was surprised to get a breakfast menu with three choices. Went with the Ommlet but there also was apple crepes and cereal. Hot and tasty. Coach I think also got a choice of cereal or a smaller ommettt.

The movie was "heartBreakers" with Signorney Weaver (lookign FOUR PAWS UP in her early 50s) and Jennifer Love Hewett (looking sicky and whiney and a very one.five note actress ) I said somewhat loud "WOW! Signoreny is the same woman from Alien's 20 years ago?"

Tuned in and out as "Up in the Air" proved more interesting.

Cookie time!!!

Mike was interested in my book ands said they saw a few flyers reading it. I told them it's a good read in their downtime.

They did another drink run and offered cheese and crackers (I passed) and then Mike came aroudn in and his best Cookie Monster voice said "COOKIES!" Everyone took him up ont he double chocolate chip cookies. He was a good salesman. The F-A who looked like the captain kept the water and milk flowing.

The plane landed 14 minutes early and got a very warm "have a godo weekend" from Mike and the gang. One of the best flight crews I experience on ANY airline.

And the return...

CO 29 (SFO-EWR)

Waiting for the Airporter

SFO airporter never showed, but this smaller service called "Pacific Airport shuttle" was happy to take me for the same price. A nice driver who got all of us to the airport pretty quick.

The return upgrade cleared and I tried out the small but well lit President's Club at SFo near the ticket areas. A friendly attendant directed me to the snack area and the bar area where the bartender was happy to make me a coke (in the biggest glass I ever seen.)

WHo Board's First

Revived from COKE, headed to the gate where two teenage girls wer elet on the flight first. They were young and traveling solo. Then the agent said "We can start boarding" and everyoen charged to teh gate. The Red Coated main agent walked up and told him "you are supposed to split up the boarding for parents with kids, elderly, then first, then one pass members." He then said parents with children under 2 and those needing special assistant can board.

When first was called this woman with a big Nordstrom's shopping bag, a big rollaway, a computer bag and yakking on her cell phone charged at the gate and stepped in my path. She glared at me as if to say "you need to take five steps back because I needed my space."

I almost kicked the Nordstrom bag and said to myself "I hope I don't sit next to her."

And my seatmate.

She took her three bags and filled up the whole overhead space. When I went to try to move one of her bags she said "I guess you'll have to put your bags in the back."

Then one of her friends came on board. he was seated elsewhere in Business First and they exchanged hugs and kisses. He then said "mind if you change seats."

I was happy to get away from her. And as a bonus got a great seatmate named Alex who just read "Up in the Air" and enjoyed it.

First Class COmpany and Business First Service

Alex never heard of this board and he was surprised to meet someone (me) who flies over 100K a year and I told him a few tricks of what I do to build up miles. he's a member of US Air's Chairman's Preferred and after explainign his FF habits said he is doing just fine. Interesting fellow and we exchanged business cards.

Business First has this big, big space between seats, comfortable seats with teh built in monitors for movies (I did not use) and a good staff, capable (although not as friendly as MIKE and the boys.)

Breakfast was the apple crepes, scrambled eggs and the pasta (which I wanted.) the F-A apologized for only having one pasta. Alex gave up his pasta and said "i'll be happy to switch." Very surprising and very classy.

Didn't get to bed till late Saturday night aso I slept through much of the flight and so did Alex. We woke to the cheese and crackers (I passed) and the cookie (which was very warm and good)

We landed about 25 minutes early and Alex and I said our goodbyes and went our spearate ways.

Overall: Three and a half paws up for CO's service (and MILECRAZY AND NEWSELF... NO I'M NOT LEAVING UNITED! )

Happy & SAFE FLYING!

Old Jul 22, 2001, 8:30 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No bags in the back for the CAT, I hope!

Thanks for the fine reporting, as usual, CATMAN!
Old Jul 22, 2001, 9:58 pm
In Memoriam: Original Member

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
CatBuddy,

We will be working on you to switch from that other airline to ours. We even arranged to have Gordon meet you in the LAX PC one fine Sunday Morning. Just think, you only need 75K for top tier.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 7:33 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Hummmmm......sounds like an awfully good CO flight, clearing BF, good food, lots of room--are you sure you're not going to switch from UA>>
Old Jul 23, 2001, 7:46 am

Nice trip report Catman! Those BusinessFirst cabins in the 757s are great, plenty of room, very spacious. Even better when you were expecting the tighter standard domestic First Class!

I have Up in the Air right now, and I'm going to read it on my trip next week to New York. I have a friend who just read it and it loved it. Sounds like it is quickly making its way around all FF's! It was featured in the New York Times Book Review a couple weeks ago and also just yesterday in the New York Times, so it is getting good attention.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.