Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2001, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA GM
CPH-LHR-JFK AAdvantage-Long

Sat July 21, 2001
BA811 CPH-LHR
B737436 G-DOCD

If anyone has read my question regarding standing by and changing AAdvantage tickets internationally down on the AA forum, herre are the end results.

After numerous conversations with AA on the phone, I have a new respect for the AAdvantage agents. Generally, I have found most regular agents to be somewhat unfamiliar with rules, and relatively resistant to make exceptions. This experience, however was completely different. I managed to change my flights no less than six times(including date) and no fee, no hassles. My only restriction was the number of FF seats available on the flights. BA seemed to have seats on all flights, all days, while AA was somewhat more restrictive.

Anyway, I decided to stay up the night as I would need to leave my appartment in CPH around 530am. I did so, and managed to stay awake. I was at the airport by 7am, got reticketed at the great OneWorld desk, which was extremely helpful. I checked in, with less than a 5 minute line, which was not bad considering a pretty full flight in Y. Quite happy that there was no excess baggage fee as well. I don't know what the exact limit is-bus I must hve been close. ~145 pounds.

Proceeded to the departure area and to CPH's wonderful 'Quiet' Lounge. Just past security, and upstairs, CPH has a lounge with fully reclining and extremely comfortable seats overlooking the ramp, with a decent view of what was the arriving runway, and a far off view of the departing one. As this is a quite area, generally there are no kids. Its a great place to get a drink and relax, as well as enjoy the variety of airlines and unusual mix of a/c at CPH.

I made my way down to the gate at about 745 for the 820 departure. This was my only bad experience of the trip. At BA's area, boarding passes are swiped as one enters the boarding area, not the a/c. The gate agent decided that one of my carry ons was "too large and heavy" despite it fitting into the sizer. Both of my carry-ons were filled with fragile glas, and I knew what would happen. I switched some stuff around, but simply didnt have room for all of my breakables. It amazes me that I have used the same regulation Samsonite carry one on every flight Ive taken in the last 3 years(about 80), and have never had a problem. I'll post BA's response to the broken glass when I get it.

Boarded at 800, nice airplane, front had the convertable biz/econ seats. Unfortunately, I was in the back and didnt get one. The previosu week, flying CPH-AMS on KLM, I got the bulkhead, and a huge biz seat(5 across). Considering biz was 3 times the price, I was happy to just get the seat, but not the meal.
Plently of overhead bin space, of course.

Flight was uneventful, except for a 20 minute ATC hold for LHR. Inedible breakfast snack-a baguette with horseradish and tomatoes. Ugh. Who does BA think will eat that crap?

Arrived T1 at 945, 25 minutes late. My plan was to standby for the 12noon JFK departure, even though I was reserved on the 4pm. I didnt want to sit around for 6 hours, so I really wanted to hurry. 2 hrs and 15 minutes for a connection. No hurry, right? Wrong.

10 minute line for immigration. I only checked my bags to LHR so that I could standby. Therefore, I needed to enter the UK. Get to the baggage claim area. I wait, and wait, oh yeah, and wait. 30 minutes before I have all my bags. I proceed to the walkway to T3, which takes 15 minutes to transverse thanks to one of the moving walkways not moving.

I get to the AA desks, and see the lines. Oy vey. I stand and wait and wait and stand. Finally, an agent comes around about 1115 saying that the JFK flight is closing and asking if anyone is still in line. I explain my situation to her. She tells me there is a $150 fee for changing. I tell her that I'm on an AAdvantage ticket, and even if I wasn't, there wouldnt be a $150 fee! She motions me to the front of the line. "Be my guest she said."

Checked my bags, but couldnt get confirmed. Security line was another 5 minutes, so I get to the gate about 1140. Wait for yet another passport check, give my ticket to the gate agent, and take a seat. 5 minutes later, I'm called, 39A. There were a bunch of other people waiting, none of whom looked like non-revs, so I was surprised I got on before them with the free ticket.

AA105 LHR-JFK
B777-223(ER) N784AN

This was my first time on a 777, and I was amazed by the spaciousness. What a great plane. MRTC was fantastic after the BA flight. Even though I was all the way in the back, and there was the IFE box somewhat restricting my legroom(as I have read abou tin other posts), this felt like the most legroom I've had on AA ever. It was amazingly comfortable, and I really like AA's new coach seats.

IFE was fantastic with the touch screen PTV. These new ones are far better than the older ones on the A300s. I'd love to see them but into the 763s too. Maybe with "Connexxion" next year. Who knows. Regardless, 8 TV channels, with 3 movies and 18 audio channels. Very impressive, plus, I always love the moving map display.

Service was great, far better than what I experienced on the Airbus on the way over. First, a round of drinks 30 mins after takeoff. A half hour later, a choice of Chicken or Salmon, followed by more drinks. This was the best coach meal I've had in a long, long time(Except on AM). I actually ate the whole meal. Good salad, Fresh, soft roll with great dutch cheese, and the Salmon was tender and delicious. I was really quite impressed.

I watched one of the movies, and talked with my seatmate, a Germna med student going to Hollywood for an internship in Reconstructive Surgery. Interesting fellow.

FA's came around with Duty free, followed by even more drinks. Toblerone Chocolates and M&M's were passed around an hour later.

1 hr 30 before landing, a "lunch snack" was distributed. This lunch snack was better than a domestic meal on LGA-DFW. Some sort of Lasagne with several different cheeses. Not that healthy, but very tasty.

A crystal clear day, adn the moving map allowed me to follow our route. Another AA 777 crossed paths with us at about 41, 000 feet over Logan, which was clearly recognizable. Cape cod looked beautiful, with a ton of boats out on the water. We turned over the north fork of LI, and continued straight in over the southern shore of Long Island. A nice touch on the 777s is that connecting gates are listed on the PTVs. What a great idea.

Touchdown was 25 minutes early, but got to the gate only 10 early.

Short line for customs and immigration, as we seemed to be the only flight arriving, and my bags were waiting for me in the baggage claim area.

This was some of the best service I have ever received by AA, and am really thrilled. This kind of experience is what keeps me flying American, and I look foward to continuing to do so in the future.

Looking foward to making Gold for the first time in about November.

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.