Wiki Posts
Search

SkyMiles Medallion Crisis

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2000, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

SkyMiles Medallion Crisis

Hi everyone.
I know this isn't a trip report yet, but it will be one next week.

Here's the deal. I'm headed from Hartford to LA on Monday (yes, that's Christmas) returning on the 28th. I called in to use a systemwide upgrade, aware that it would expire on the 31st of December.

Loser moron that I am, I did not realize that the systemwides are PAPER upgrades (cf. the 800-mile version, which is electronic.) I have just ransacked my room looking for something resembling an upgrade, and I only found US Airways systemwides.

This presents us with a few options--I need your expertise. I've devised several ideas for Monday:

1. Play dumb
2. Play dumb and bring the USAir upgrades
3. Purchase 800-mile SMUs at the airport
4. Sit in economy (Noooooooo!)

I checked the reservation and my seats are confirmed in First (G class).

What do you folks suggest?

Best always,

Little Matt.
Old Dec 22, 2000, 12:56 am

First, why did you say you were aware the SWU would expire as of 12/31? They have a date printed on them & are good for 1 year from that date. The new DL program allows SWU's to still be used up to 2/28/02.

Depending on your Medallion status, you can call at the 72 hr mark (Gold) or 24 hr (Silver) to request the SWU be changed to 800 mile segments. If they say yes, buy them at the airport if you don't have any in your account. If no, see below.

The other choice is to upgrade with miles. You can call now & do that (if you've got the miles to burn). It will take 10K each way.

Final choice is....sit in back.

Leave the US paper U/G home...it won't impress them & will make you look like a 'rube'.

Let us know what happens.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 12-22-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.