Wine in Bordeaux, Shopping in Paris via spectacular Air France 77W La Première

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wine in Bordeaux, Shopping in Paris via spectacular Air France 77W La Première

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: LX HON, BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
First time I'm reading on an AF F report.
First time I'm feeling this hungry.

Thanks for the TR SFO777 ^
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
WOW

The AF La Premiere product is amazing, particulary on the 777.

Now if only AF did SYD to CDG - I could be very tempted to move across from SQ.

Thanks for the pleasure you share with us.

I'm at work and my colleagues are asking why am I laughing, particulary your Monsieur SFO777 bought the Chanel.

Behind every successful person is a partner who makes it possible for you to be so successful at what you do. When you know the laundry in done and the kitchen is stocked, you can focus on work. That partner may be you wife, as I am assuming Mrs SGO777 fulfills that role, but I have seen equally successful couples where Mr is the support or in same sex couples one of the partners.

Bon Chance on finding a great apartment in Paris
Old Oct 13, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the service flying home that you got.

Thanks for sharing your latest trip report with us. Where are you off to next?
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:59 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
OMG - amazing product...

Well - my eVIP just cleared so I will fly to EZE on AA B772 with early 2000's F-class product... At least in F and not in C
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
And the most amazing dessert selection with the sweets from Lenôtre.

Best answer: Leave the whole tray on my table, I´ll take care of it. The food and terminal really looks amazing, even if I don´t like many of the dishes. AF really developed well from one of the worst carriers to the top.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I really appreciate your comments. We used miles on this trip... a ridiculous 800K round trip for the two of us. The best ex-USA fare that I've seen during periodic AF sales is in the $5K range from NYC, SFO and IAH. LAX is rarely discounted as much and then mainly on the A380. Last year, we bought OSL-JFK roundtrip for around $3,700 and for about $400 more was able to change the return from JFK to SFO.
For what it's worth, I've been able to finagle a good fare out of LHR to BOS (thru Paris and JFK) for about $1850 (dollars not pounds) each way with Premiere on the Paris-New York legs in December/January. Some downsides: the A380 on the way to the US which most (all?) agree is less desirable than the 777 and need to go from LaGuardia to JFK on the way out (probably some way to finagle that but I ended up just booking business for the short BOS-CDG-LON overnight on return; plan to purchase the Premiere ground package (I'd pay 300 euros to avoid a Friday cab ride between LGA and JFK)).

Further for what it's worth, I'm taking Swiss first on the way back on the second trip at similar pricing. Looking forward to seeing the new ZRH lounge.

I assume it's attributable to the sinking pound but worth investigating.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:37 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Well, SFO777, that return flight was really spectacular! What a menu, and what wines!

The Parisian expedition, while expensive (since you paid....), looked good too. Next time you go, remind me to let you know of some other excellent eating spots.

Thanks for the splendid TR!
Old Oct 13, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by The Wolf
First time I'm reading on an AF F report.
First time I'm feeling this hungry Thanks for the TR SFO777 ^
And thank you The Wolf for taking time to read the TR.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
WOW
The AF La Premiere product is amazing, particulary on the 777.
Now if only AF did SYD to CDG - I could be very tempted to move across from SQ. Thanks for the pleasure you share with us.
I'm at work and my colleagues are asking why am I laughing, particulary your Monsieur SFO777 bought the Chanel.
Behind every successful person is a partner who makes it possible for you to be so successful at what you do. When you know the laundry in done and the kitchen is stocked, you can focus on work. That partner may be you wife, as I am assuming Mrs SGO777 fulfills that role, but I have seen equally successful couples where Mr is the support or in same sex couples one of the partners.
Bon Chance on finding a great apartment in Paris
Thanks very much adampenrith for your kind comments. It helps when your partner is your best friend as in our case. Glad you had a good laugh, at my expense.

Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at the service flying home that you got. Thanks for sharing your latest trip report with us. Where are you off to next?
Thank you nequine. Mrs. SFO777 gets nearly 3 months off before New Years in Rome and Malta. I have another 72 hour hall pass in November, RTW in First on Lufthansa, Garuda, Korean and Cathay.

Originally Posted by TPJ
OMG - amazing product...
Well - my eVIP just cleared so I will fly to EZE on AA B772 with early 2000's F-class product... At least in F and not in C
Thanks TPJ. Hey, other than the crappy IFE and primitive lavs, AA's old First is very comfortable.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Best answer: Leave the whole tray on my table, I´ll take care of it. The food and terminal really looks amazing, even if I don´t like many of the dishes. AF really developed well from one of the worst carriers to the top.
My kind of foodie. ^ My metabolism isn't what it used to be so I can no longer do that "leave the whole tray" thing.

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
For what it's worth, I've been able to finagle a good fare out of LHR to BOS (thru Paris and JFK) for about $1850 (dollars not pounds) each way with Premiere on the Paris-New York legs in December/January. Some downsides: the A380 on the way to the US which most (all?) agree is less desirable than the 777 and need to go from LaGuardia to JFK on the way out (probably some way to finagle that but I ended up just booking business for the short BOS-CDG-LON overnight on return; plan to purchase the Premiere ground package (I'd pay 300 euros to avoid a Friday cab ride between LGA and JFK)).
Further for what it's worth, I'm taking Swiss first on the way back on the second trip at similar pricing. Looking forward to seeing the new ZRH lounge.
I assume it's attributable to the sinking pound but worth investigating.
Thanks Yahtzee. Anything is that range is a great deal. Good for you on getting in on those low ex-LON F fares.

Originally Posted by 1P
Well, SFO777, that return flight was really spectacular! What a menu, and what wines! The Parisian expedition, while expensive (since you paid....), looked good too. Next time you go, remind me to let you know of some other excellent eating spots.
Thanks for the splendid TR!
Thank you very much 1P for your comments. We're always looking for suggestions for good foodie spots in Paris. Have you read John Talbott's blog? Funny (presumably) retired ex-pat that lives in Paris and eats lunch every day. He critiques every meals with pics and a healthy dose of humor. Not the easiest blog to navigate but we've found some gems from him.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:22 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Have you read John Talbott's blog? Funny (presumably) retired ex-pat that lives in Paris and eats lunch every day. He critiques every meals with pics and a healthy dose of humor. Not the easiest blog to navigate but we've found some gems from him.
Thanks for the tip, SFO777! No, I hadn't seen this. Looks very interesting!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1P
Thanks for the tip, SFO777! No, I hadn't seen this. Looks very interesting!

1P, this was one gem that we learned about from Talbott and visited a couple of years ago...

Today, we are heading over to the 16th and the chic shop of artisan butcher Hugo Desnoyer. Oui, un boucherie. But unlike any butcher shop that you are likely to see visit. Hugo is Paris' best butcher, supplying the city's rich and famous and many of the city's best restaurants. What is so unique is that Hugo also has an 8 person table d’hôte right in the shop, serving food and wine and offering a unique culinary experience in a relaxed communal atmosphere. This is absolute must stop for any foodie. Fortunately it is not yet well known as a "restaurant" ... ranked only #2,513 on tripadvisor. Even our concierge questioned my request for a reservation replying "it isn’t a restaurant but a butchery". As we arrived a little early for our 1PM rez, we strolled the neighborhood stopped for un café across the street.

And finally to Hugo's at 1PM where we were warmly welcomed by his staff.

Hugo brought us a glass of wine and charcuterie while we waited for our place at the table.

And then delicious truffle butter bread. Hey, we have nothing else planned this afternoon.

At around 1:15P our seats were ready and we joined two other couples who had already started their meal. A third couple joined us 10 minutes later. All the other couples today were from Paris (four native Parisians and two expat Americans) but everyone spoke English or some and we had a wonderful afternoon of eating, drinking and conversation in English, French and Franglais. All wondered how we tourists even knew about this place?

Another starter not on the menu. OMG, the foie gras was to die for. Sorry, I was so excited that I forgot to take a pic before I had devoured most of it.

Since the shop was closing tomorrow for the two week winter school holiday (seriously??) the usual prix fixe tasting menu was not offered, with everything a la carte. Mrs. SFO and I split the côte de boeuf pour 2 with frites, salad and veggies. And a lovely bottle of Burgundy.

Perfectly prepared veggies.

Wonderful dessert.

At sometime mid-meal, the original two couples left and their seats were taken by another two, including Hugo's wife and a family friend who had us in stitches with his story-telling. What a great afternoon!

If you are into foodie experiences, this is a must. And do it soon because once the word gets out and Hugo opens his planned Tokyo shop, it will be tougher than ever to experience the real deal with Hugo. We lucked into it by stumbling on John Talbott's Paris food blog, a frank review (pics and no hold commentary in FT trip report fashion) of one expat Parisian eating and drinking his way around Paris.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Blimey SFO777, that looks fantastic!

I didn't know about the new Tokyo shop - thanks for putting that in there. I've just booked dinner for 14th December, just before they close for Xmas. Y9000 for their premier service seems to me to be a bargain.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Another awesome report...one of the first few reporters who inspired me to travel in style
Old Oct 15, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
As someone tied inexorably to British Airways, this wonderful trip report made me weep silent tears! Thanks so much for showcasing so impressively what is clearly a world-leading way to travel by air.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Shop 'til you drop in Paris, during Fashion Week

Today is Mrs. SFO777's day as we're doing a combination Anniversary/Birthday shopping day.

Mercifully at just after 5pm, Mrs. SFO777 has had enough and we headed back to the hotel, to tally up the damage. But I just keep remembering the wise adage... happy wife, happy life.

And back in our room at The Shangri-La.
SFO777, First of all, congratulations to you both on your anniversary and a Happy Birthday to Mrs. SFO777.

I am a very disheartened with your choice of hotel in Paris
What made you opt for the Shangri-La (which does look nice) over say the FS George V, Le Maurice, Plaza Athenee or even the newly renovated Ritz!?!?!?

Please tell all the others were all fully booked and it was not due to cost-cutting to take Mrs SFO777 shopping!?!?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Great stuff SFO777!!! Love the pics. Can't wait for the next one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.