Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Great report, the food looks spectacular. Thanks for sharing. T
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Bordeaux to Paris on the TGV

We arrived at Gare St-Jean 30 minutes before departure and had to wait with others for our track to be posted. Major renovations ongoing here.

Bordeaux St-Jean to Paris Montparnasse
SNCF... means still no Wifi
TGV 2952
11:21a-2:46p
September 28, 2016
Voiture 12
Sieges 51, 54

First Class on the TGV is pretty comfortable 2-1 seating. Although sitll no Wifi after all these years. Heck, Thalys has had Wifi for 10 years. Since the car was full, I was glad we had single seats facing each other. Although Mrs. SFO777 had a brilliant idea for getting a more comfortable seating arrangement. Why not buy 4 seats and get an entire 4 seat compartment? Since I purchased our tickets directly on the SNCF website and not raileurope.com, our tickets only cost $45 each, so it would have only been $180 for the compartment. Duh... why didn't I think of that?

Time to check out the dining car.

My croque was surprisingly good.

In any language, this is a bizarre sign.

Two and a half hours later, we arrived at Paris Montparnasse station in the 14th.

Sometimes, you just luck out. While everyone else trudged all the way to the end of the track, we took the first escalator right to the taxi stand, where it was only 10 minute, 10 euro ride to our hotel near the Trocadero in the 16th. Pretty nice views along the drive.

Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Although we had some service issues last year, we decided to return to the Shangri-La one more time. It's a wonderful hotel in a quiet part of the 16th and with glorious views of the Eiffel Tower. In addition, management acknowledged the failures and extended some some attracrtive courtesies and perks for this stay.

Our lovely room 52, with terrace and Eiffel Tower view.

Out on the lovely terrace, those ugly apartment buildings are still there, but at least this room gives us a much better view than last year.

Time for some champagne and pupus before heading out to dinner.

Tonight we're off to try Alain Ducasse's new brasserie Champeaux, at the still under construciton Canopée in Forum des Halles in the 1st. The hotel's new BWM 7 series was available so we were dropped off in style, although this resto is hard to find with the on going construction.

We rejected the first table that the hostess with an attitude attempted to give us. When I gave her attitude back in French, we got a much better table.

And look what was on the menu tonight, the same Coquilletes with ham, comté and black truffles as on the La Première Lounge menu. We shared it as our starter and it was divine as always.

For our main, we shared the extraodinary Crapaudine-style free-range chicken with lemon and frites.

Our desserts were amazing.

What a fabulous meal. We Uber'd back to our hotel for the wonderful light show from our terrace.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 8, 2016 at 8:49 am
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
So pleased you went to Bouchon Bordelais- had a hugely enjoyable dinner there a few months ago. Lovely people running it, and interesting, honest food. A great city.
Thank you mentor of monty. Agree completely on Bouchon Bordelais. Wonderful restaurant.

Originally Posted by Mr. Strong
Nice TR SFO777. I really enjoyed Bordeaux on a trip five years ago. First stop was Lyon and Bordeaux was followed by St. Emilion. Did Burgundy last October and hoping to get back to Bordeaux next year...looking to visit Chateau Montrose and Château Pédesclaux.
Thanks very much Mr. Strong. We plan on returning next year and will definitely spend time in St-Emilion.

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Another excellent trip report! Comparing with other topics Mrs. SFO777's Shopping Day in Paris is not completed properly. There is no single picture or description about items bought,only the meals pictures are added which are not main subject of the topic.The total amount spent must be still hurt
LOL, thanks so much Jaenks. I actually did take a pic of the day's haul but Mrs. SFO777 veto'd its inclusion here.
Indeed, it still hurts. But I just keep telling myself... happy wife, happy life.

Originally Posted by fivevsone
Great report, the food looks spectacular. Thanks for sharing. T
Thanks very much fivevsone.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: points traveller
that hotel in Paris looks stunning!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SFO777
We rejected the first table that the hostess with an attitude attempted to give us. When I gave her attitude back in French, we got a much better table.
France is right in the front regarding service
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by offerendum
France is right in the front regarding service
Strangely I very rarely receive bad service in France (maybe because I say bonjour with a big smile). And service at (good) restaurants is definitely more professional in France than in many other countries (people know their products, have a culture of etiquette).

By the way, service is very smiling and attentive at Champeaux (food is solid brasserie like with a twist).
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Wow at the view from the hotel in Paris!!! :O

I wouldn't like to haul up my usual heavy suitcase to get the train in Bordeaux!
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nequine
Wow at the view from the hotel in Paris!!! :O

I wouldn't like to haul up my usual heavy suitcase to get the train in Bordeaux!
I'm taking the train from Bordeaux to CDG and then flying home, and I'll probably have at least 2x23kg
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:56 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
This looks like another great trip.

I am sorry to report that the Air France Business Class experience is nothing like what the La Premiere experience looks to be. Having recently experienced it in September on YVR-CDG-MUC, it meant (to us) apathetic crews, strange food that just tasted bland, and business lounges packed with weary travelers.

It must be the personal touch of La Premiere that sets it apart from other First Class carriers as, unlike a fine automobile, those finer trickle down features like seat heaters and coolers aren't turning up in the business class products.

I'd take Lufthansa Business over Air France Business any day - and maybe even Air Canada over Air France.

Looking forward to the rest. ^
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
...and maybe even Air Canada over Air France.
Has Justin T poisoned your coffee or something?!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:55 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Has Justin T poisoned your coffee or something?!
It pains me to say it krazykanuck. I used to be an Air Canada loyalist for many years. After a spectacular devaluation of their Aeroplan program, I've pretty much gone elsewhere for almost everything else. But it is hard to beat a spacious reverse herringbone seat with a massive tv screen on their 787-8's compared to the really dated angle flats in the Air France B777-2's.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Stunning pics - that part of France is a must on my next trip
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Shop 'til you drop in Paris, during Fashion Week

Today is Mrs. SFO777's day as we're doing a combination Anniversary/Birthday shopping day. And we have a car and driver today to make it easy. Our wonderful driver Clément picked us up at 11am, and after a walk down the street to visit and ATM, we're off into heavy Fashion Week traffic.

Our first stop was rue Cambon and the flagship Chanel store.

Next stop was Mrs. SFO777's favorite hair accessory shop, Alexandre de Paris.

Then over to the 8th and a wonderful local's brasserie, Chez André.

The sole was amazing, a la plancha pour madame, meunière pour moi.

Next stop was just up the street to Franck Namani where the staff rushes out to greet you when you pull up in an S class. LOL.

And finally back to the other side of the 8th and Fabiana Filippi, on rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré.

Right across the street from the Élysée Palace, apparently waiting for Hollande to return.

Mercifully at just after 5pm, Mrs. SFO777 has had enough and we headed back to the hotel, to tally up the damage. But I just keep remembering the wise adage... happy wife, happy life.

At 8pm, we headed out for dinner at one of our Paris favorites, 114 Faubourg in Le Bristol.

Mesclun salad and crisp lettuce hearts, shavings of aged parmesan, black truffle vinaigrette. One of the best salads anywhere.

My langoustine ravioli and basil, whisked butter with lemon was wonderful.

Someone is happy.

Madame's Roasted lamb from Lozère with fresh herbs, gnocchis with candied lemon and mashed zucchinis.

My Cod fillet and prawns perfumed in saffron, cooked potatoes in the shells’ juice. Delicious.

And amazing desserts to finish.

Another fabulous meal at a great restaurant. Mrs. SFO777 with un chat de la maison, one of Le Bristol's residence felines.

And back in our room at The Shangri-La.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 10, 2016 at 6:03 am
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We love Paris and when we're in Paris, we frequently muse about getting an apartment. Since we can live pretty much anywhere, and now that we are renters in So Cal, why not Paris? So we're off today to explore the 7th and then back into the 8th.

Ah oui, c'est Paris.

With suggestions from our concierge Julien, we headed to rue Saint-Dominique and decided on the classic Café Constant. Some pics from their maisonconstant.com website...

And today's special...

We split the delicious Artichoke heart salad with button mushrooms in vinaigrette.

For our main, we went with the Escalope of veal Cordon-Bleu, as the Kids like it... although it sounds much better in French... Escalope de veau Cordon-Bleu comme l’aiment nos enfants.

OMG, the profiteroles!

Nah, we didn't like it at all.

Back across the Seine, somehow exploring the 8th turned into "Let's go to Avenue Montaigne". Woe is me.

I guess she wants me to see something. LOL.

Back at the hotel, we rested up before staying in house and dining the hotel one Michelin star Cantonese restaurant, Shang Palace. Food and service were both excellent, once we got past the "do you have another table" moment.

Last edited by SFO777; Oct 12, 2016 at 4:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.