Original Poster

BWI-EWR-SEA-DTW-BWI on CO/NW

\Here we go for another trip review. Essential details:

2/24 CO 3384 BWI-EWR
2/24 CO 125 EWR-SEA

2/28 CO 5260 SEA-DTW
2/28 CO 5266 DTW-BWI
(Last two flights operated by NW)

Things begin smoothly with a quick (too quick perhaps) drive from Silver Spring up 95 to the remote parking area. After a 10-minute getting to know the remote parking area I finally manage to find a spot, in what by then has become the remote remote parking area. After a short wait for the shuttle bus, I manage to check in without having to wait in line.

While Im waiting at the gate I learn that the flight is oversold, and Im ready to volunteer as the call for volunteers (in exchange for a $300 voucher) is made. I was originally scheduled to have a 2-hour layover in Newark. With my new travel plans, I now have a seat on a US Air flight to LaGuardia, along with a voucher for taxi service to Newark. We arrive at LG at 3:40 - but for many reasons it is only 4:10 when I get into the cab. Those more familiar with NYC traffic than I probably could have guessed already this does not bode well for my 4:55 flight to SEA. Indeed, we arrive at EWR at 5:20, but I race to my gate when the monitors show that my flight is still boarding. Indeed, from the looks of it theyve just begun. I ponder whether I should wait for the 7:50 flight in hope of an upgrade - but a quick call to CO tells me that first class is full. So, I board what is advertised as a completely full flight. As it turns out, there are 2 empty seats in coach, and luckily one of them is next to mine. My neighbor is sitting back here after giving his first class seat to his wife. Someday I hope I can be as generous to my wife (First I need to get a wife, then first class seats).

The flight itself is uneventful, and continues the string of very good service Ive had on CO. Although we took off about 75 minutes late, we manage to get into SEA only 15 minutes later than our scheduled time.

As far as the voluntary bumping is concerned, the bottom line is that I walked away with a $300 voucher in exchange for a 60 minute cab ride, while I managed to board my scheduled flight. Not too bad, although relaxing at the NW/WC lounge would arguably have been nicer than running through Terminal C. Any suggestions on getting 6676 miles for that $300 (what I need for Silver on NW, are more than welcome).

The NW flights returning to BWI are ok, yet they serve as a reminder of why I now choose to fly CO whenever I can for my NW miles. Both flights are on 757's that seem to have outlived their usefulness many many years ago. On both planes the monitor is partly obstructed by the overhead bin from my window seats - don't know if this is a "bug" or a "feature" of such planes. I must say the first plane was especially nasty, dirty and all, and will earn itself a letter to the good people at NW.

After a layover in my new worst airport to fly from (DTW, used to be DUS), I once again enjoy the NW "treatment." As we wait to taxi, one FA who is trying to make her way down the aisle barks a passenger "Excuse me sir, I have a job to do." He was in the way, but the tone and attitude leave much to be desired. I find a pair of glasses in the seat pocket in front of me, so I press the FA call button, thinking it would be nice if the glasses stayed here where, perhaps, their owner got off. Although the button is working, no one comes. Eventually, the light goes off, although no one has come. As I leave the plane one of the FA's is uninterested in providing assistance to people leaving the plane -- she has been on her cell phone since we reached the gate, and is flipping through a magazine.

The rest of the trip provides nothing to report -- assuming everything above was worth reporting to begin with!

------------------

[This message has been edited by SMessier (edited 03-06-2000).]
Old Feb 29, 2000, 5:41 pm

Perhaps the rude NW flight attendant you mentioned is the same one who barked, "No. Open it!" at me when I made the grievous faux pas of closing the milk carton before replacing it on her tray during coffee service.
Old Feb 29, 2000, 7:05 pm
Original Member

Flight Attendant! On HER cell
phone??? At deplaning. JEEZE!!!!!
What the hell IS the airline industry
coming to?

Regards,

Mike Mahoney

[This message has been edited by MIKE MAHONEY (edited 02-29-2000).]
Old Mar 2, 2000, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Funny. Last time I deplaned from a NW flight, the FA at the doorway was snapping gum, doing the USA TODAY crossword, not speaking, avoiding eye contact, and generally making a big point of ignoring all her customers.

Of course, the last time I had to fly NW was well over a year ago...
Old Mar 2, 2000, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

myleguy: I'm surprised you were even allowed to collect miles on that flight after such faux pas... I'll be the first to see rude passengers and some crap FA's have to put up with, but for some reason that kind of nonsense never happens with such regularity as on NW.

BearX220: I'd suggest it will take more than a year for NW to improve things that have been behind for some time... I guess they were out of USA Today on that flight anyway...
Old Mar 5, 2000, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

strange bedfellows, CO and NW, one with great service, the other with Worst. Thanks for the journey account (Trip Report)
Old Mar 6, 2000, 8:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
Smessier: $216.50 for BWI - Ontario or San Diego. Go to CO's web site and click on the "sale fare" link.

It won't net quite 7,500, but it won't use up the entire $300 either.

[This message has been edited by dgolds (edited 03-06-2000).]
Old Mar 6, 2000, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by dgolds:
Smessier: $216.50 for BWI - Ontario or San Diego. Go to CO's web site and click on the "sale fare" link.
[snip]
Much thanks for the tip -- I have to see which weekend I can make myself free to fly back and forth for a couple of days. I'm still hoping to see fares to Italy go down just a little more, but otherwise a first trip to CA would be nice...
Old Mar 6, 2000, 8:34 am
Original Poster

duplicate - sorry. (Just a cheap way to increase my post count I guess).

[This message has been edited by SMessier (edited 03-06-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.