JFK(Concorde)-LHR-TXL Westin Grand

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 1999, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
JFK(Concorde)-LHR-TXL Westin Grand

I checked out of the Sheraton Laguardia East which is a decent hotel in comparison to the poor Sheraton JFK. The shuttle delivered me to the BA terminal and I proceeded to the Concorde check-in and thence to the Concorde lounge. Lounging there were a lot of people as the flight was nearly full.

They had continental breakfast in this quite large lounge. The gate was in the lounge so we didn't have to associate with the commoners on the slower BA flights.

Boarding the flight, I had to duck quite a bit to make it through the door, but I could stand OK after that. It's a smallish cabin, but for a 3.5 hour flight it's not bad. The seats were quite comfortable.

Each bulkhead has altitude and speed indicators so we can all see how fast we are going. The takeoff had more thrust and noise as expected. After we got a ways out over the water, the captain said he was going to light the Rolls Royce afterburners. We felt each one of them go as we quickly shot up to Mach 1. 30 minutes later we were at Mach 2 and 55,000 feet where we stayed til reaching the southwestern England coast.

I suspended my usual transcon abstinence since the wine selection looked sooooo good. The Champagne was Bruno Paillard 1989, the white was Beaune Clos des Mouches 1994 and red was Vosne-Romanee 1993. I also had a 1978 Dow's Reserve Tawny which put me to sleep for a while.

For gifts, we received nice leather pad holders with postcards, a flight certificate, some random stationary and a nice pen. Then they handed out special Millenium 2000 diaries with silver pens. These are like the Amex Platinum diaries but with more NY and London info. I had an empty seat next to me so I greedily grabbed two of each.

Upon arrival I made my way to the Executive Club lounge where I did some surfing on the new PC's with flat screens they have now. Then I boarded an uneventful BA flight to TXL. From there, I cabbed it to the Westin Grand. The lobby is indeed grand, but my room was ordinary. At least the phones had data ports which is a bit of a novelty in Germany.

That's all for now!
Old Dec 8, 1999, 8:21 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm curious -- do Concordes tend to fly empty or full these days? Are people generally paying full fare for this stuff?
Old Dec 8, 1999, 10:47 pm

Dataports in your hotel phone... Germany enters 1995 before the millenium.
Old Dec 9, 1999, 9:42 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
That's why I travel with my swiss army knife, and a phone cord with bare wire exposed on the ends.

And, the month I spent in Munich, where I actually built special adapter cords for all of the people from our company staying at the hotel.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I'm in London now at the Sheraton Belgravia which does NOT have data ports.

But I can tell you that the city is quite packed and every hotel is full or nearly so. This hotel is sold out tonight. So I'm not surprised that the Concorde flight was full. When I made the booking, BA said that the Concorde usually runs full this time of year.

From the way the people looked on my flight (very wealthy) I would expect they are paying full fare. But BA does have a deal where you can by a round trip in Business and take the Concorde going over. However it requires 21 day advance booking.
Old Dec 10, 1999, 7:57 am

I am flying over to London tonight (not the Concorde), to meet up with my folks over there and things are indeed crowded. Although there are still some excellent weekend hotel internet deals out there. Twice now I have used Intercontinental's "click-it" rate for 99-109 pounds. Plus, if you belong to the 6-continents club they try to upgrade you. Usually do. It's an awesome deal as all 3 hotels in London are very nice and in good locations (though I favor the Mayfair.)

There are also weekend leisure rates available for 145 pounds which allow you to get a 2nd room at half-price and full american breakfast. A great deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.