Wiki Posts
Search

BWI, wait, I mean IAD, wait, OR I'm on the Road to Nowhere

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 1999, 11:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Well I was very sad when I checked in today and my boarding passes said Premier Executive and not PM1K

i had called and asked that my status be updated but apparently that didn't happen. now they say they can't update the info 'cause I might lose my upgrade in the process. And I was going to frame that boarding pass!

BTW, the YVR lounge is real nice. I like that you can be online and use the phone at the same time (as I am at this very moment!)

UPDATE: Just checked with one of QL's Angels (trish) at SEA 1k ctr. she says they wont be able to put 1k on my boarding pass until tuesday. She says to blame Deloitte & Touche...

**** YOU DELOITTE & TOUCHE!!!!!

[This message has been edited by kokonutz (edited 11-21-1999).]
Old Nov 21, 1999, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

WILL THIS DARN TRIP (and this trip report) NEVER END!?!?!?!?

Boarded my 2:40 SEA-DEN at 2:20. At 2:30 the pilot announces a 1 hour mechanical delay. This means I will miss my tight connection in DEN to IAD. No problem, I pick up the cell and make sure I am protected on the red-eye out of denver. Now this is a 747-400 and I'm in 15B upstairs, so i see the mechanics tromping back and forth to the cockpit then back downstairs every five minutes. At 3:30, the pilot says it will probably be another 45 mins or so. At 3:45, the plane is decalared unflyable an we are de-boarded. Being upstairs, I am far from one of the first to get off the plane and into the line of nearly 300 people needing alternate routings and flights. I consdier reaching for the handy cellular again to make my alternate arrangements, but it occurs to me, hey, I'm 1k, I bet there wont be a line at the 1k center.

So i go there, and lo and behold, trish (now MY angel, too) has already made my alternate booking and has boarding passes waiting for me. I asked her how she knew I would come there, and she said, well you are a 1k flyer, aren't you? Unfortunately it is for the 10pm red-eye nonstop SEA-IAD, but at least in first class.

My first instict is to see if Punki (QL is in San Antonio this week)or other local flyertalkers want to play for six hours, but the laptop beckons, as do 143 pending e-mails. Besides, i've received my fair share of hospitality from the Seattle FT contingent. So I forego fun in favor of a sunday afternoon of rcc football games and work. No Redskins (who the heck wants to see chicago vs. san diegeo????) makes the work actually get done

Now it is 9pm and my flight is showing on time in one hour. Again, pray for me!

Let the word go forth from this day never to be challenged: the only thing better than a red carpet club membership is 1k status. I love them both
Old Nov 21, 1999, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Oh No, Mr. 1/Kokonutz you will never wear out your welcome in Seattle. I just wish I had known you were hanging out at SeaTac, so we could have dragged you on down to Olympia to have a late lunch with Joe, TravelWeary, Michael and me, experienced "The Martin" and seen the "Other Washington Capitol"--there is one you know.

Sorry we missed you. You are always welcome at the Casa de Maricich.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 11-21-1999).]
Old Nov 22, 1999, 11:20 am
Original Poster

You are really the sweetest, Punki

Well, the flight was on time and smooth enough that I slept for four of the four and a half hours. First was full, but there were only about 45 people in back (A320) so I suspect everyone on board got as good a night's sleep as is possible.

Land at 5:40, home for a shower and to drop the kids off at school then to the office for the 9am directors meeting. A fittingly painful end to this trip.

THE END from a very tired kokonutz
Old Nov 22, 1999, 6:42 pm
Original Member

A great trip report and a nice if all-too-brief visit, Matt.
Old Nov 23, 1999, 6:21 pm
In Memoriam

Glad to hear (once again) that 1K makes a difference - I'm flying to NYC in two weeks just to put myself over 100K miles for the first time. (OK, I'll see five shows in four days while I'm there, but that's just a sidelight...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.