Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Report: Westin LAX Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 1999, 11:21 am
Commander Catcop
Original Poster

Hotel Report: Westin LAX Airport

This is a two parter since I stayed here twice.

November 3rd: I had to wait about 20 minutes for the shuttle to the hotel. There were several people from a Latin American airline (I don't remember which one and could nto tell by the bland uniforms.) We got to the hotel and the airline people also got on the Starwood Preferred line. I joked "I guess even airline employees can be members."

The guy at the desk seemed new and had problems working the computer. It took about 10 minutes to clarify the reservation even though I had a printout of the reservations, the confirmation #, a Starwood card (and original cat hairs from Yaz & Eddie.)

Noticed a sign "Arrivals by United." I saw a LOT of airline workers and overseas travelers passing through this Westin.

Took my own bags upstairs, I was tired and needed to sleep. The room needed some work: furniture seemed old, the fixtures seemed like something from the late 70's; the Toilet keep gurgling water for 10 minutes after flushing. They just installed a Heavenly Bed which was well welcomed and I was out in about 2 minutes.

No t=v checkout so another 10 minute wait to check out.

First stay: TWO PAWS UP.

NOW THE RETURN (Nov 12-14

Thanks to Cheri and Big Bruddar PremEx who screamed "CATMAN! THE VAN IS HERE!" I got to the hotel. Batista from Service Express greeted the van at the door and took my bags. Check-in had teh same guy (who still took awhile to check-in... and I had to say three times I was staying for TWO NIGHTS, NOT ONE!)

Batista quickly brought my bags to my room, and he showed me some of the features. He told me the room had the Heavenly Bed was installed only on Friday and the room recently had the furniture replaced. It looked nicer than the last one, even had a black and white T-V in the bathroom (but WHY?)

Deep long sleep till about 45 minutes before I was to meet up with PremEx. I asked the desk for a 4pm late checkout sunday and had to explain that Starwood Preferred Guest members can get 4pm late checkout. I finally got it after having Service Express back me up.

Check-out Sunday: SLept until 2:25pm. ANother round of great service from another Service Express worker, Lionel, who gave me the name of the restaurant in the dome at LAX (Explorer.)

At check-in desk, got the same guy trying to figure out the computer. Discovered an additional charge on my bill. I knew I drank Two Cokes (disappointed NO PEPSI ) But after a 15 minute check by four different people got it knocked off.

I also overheard people arguing about 9 dollar/collect call one minute phone charges several times during my stay.

Lionel agreed to hold my bags... went to "Explorer" and came back for the bags.

Lionel also told me if I needed an upgrade next tiem to call on him or Service Express (who I think should re-train the people at the desk.)

SO the second stay gets: THREE PAWS UP.

OVERALL: ABOUT 2 PAWS AND HALF A TAIL.

Old Nov 15, 1999, 3:20 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I had originally planned on staying at the same hotel on the way back but got a $5/night cheaper rate at the Hilton and was able to use a confirmed Towers upgrade that was set to expire at the end of the year ... sounds like I didn't miss out, except for maybe the Heavenly Bed
Old Nov 15, 1999, 4:29 pm
Original Member

There's a lot of competition for sure at LAX. I've had inconsstent service at the Westin, but I'm loyal to Starwood and I sure do love that Heavenly Bed!
Old Nov 15, 1999, 5:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I've stayed at the LAX Westin and was less than wowed by the room, etc. I know I didn't get the heavenly bed. I also felt like I had to trek forever to get to my room from the elevators.

All in all I thnk our cat friend was most generous with his paws. I would call it an even two paws at best.
Old Nov 16, 1999, 7:53 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is there a truly good/best place to stay right at LAX?
Old Nov 23, 1999, 9:11 pm
In Memoriam

A reason for the TV in the bathroom: When I was working and encountered these, I liked being able to listen and watch [pick your preferred a.m. show] show while I was performing my morning ablutions. Without the bathroom TV I was always running back and forth to see something I was hearing about. Now that my travel is entirely personal, though, who can get up that early ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.