Search

MCO-DCA-MCO

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 1999, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

MCO-DCA-MCO

In the spirit of Quiet Lion....

Please say your Aadvantage number:
Sunday afternoon, after a too many scotches Saturday night, I called Aadvantage dial-in and used their voice recognition system to request my upgrades. Sorry, we are unable to confirm at this time... bummer. Serves me right for waiting too long.

Monday morning, called to check the status of said upgrades and was pleasantly surprised to find both segments had cleared!

Off to MCO... Typical traffic on the way to the airport. 30 miles. 1.5 hours. Ya definitely want to give yourself plenty of time to drive around Orlando. Went to 1st check-in and was told "sorry sir, you have an illegal connection". Correct me if I'm wrong, ma'am, but won't the 'system' reject an attempt to book an illegal connection? Be that as it may, you have an illegal connection. I'll take my chances, says I, feeling much more confident in AA than the desk agent. (BTW, I was able to use the Canadian Air stickers received from Mr. Tute).

A very pleasant flight on a 727, despite heavy T-storms the whole way down. The lovely, vivacious, beautiful, I could go on... FA informed the 7 of us in 1st that the Cap'n had decreed no beverage service enroute so please could she have our orders now. A heavy duty Scotch con agua (in plastic cup) was produced and I was happy. As an aside, there were 7 in 1st, 6 of which were non-AA employees. Coach class had at least 2 FA's. So nyah nyah nyah you UA gripers, AA apparently doesn't give 1st away like candy!

Arrived MIA with time to spare. Too much time apparently, as there was nobody that could open the door. 10 minutes later the door opens and we trod out. I'm sweating at this point as I only have 25 minutes to make it from E concourse to C concourse to catch my connection. Luckily, the train is right on time and I am even able to choke down 1.5 cigarettes before I must board.

Hey! What's that on your hand?

Waiting in line to board, the pax in front of me tosses his carryon in the closet. Miss congeniality reprimands with "that's for hanging bags only". Well, this guy has a brand-spanking-new cast on his arm and is unable to unfold the valet to hang it up. "What part of 'hanging' don't you understand" says the 1st FA? Guy shows his cast and she impatiently waves him on saying "I'll take care of it" it a VERY snooty voice. Well, she failed valet 101 and couldn't figure out how to hang it, so she just put it back where the guy had left it in the closet!

Pardon me, Senator...

I feel bad. I should know these guys. But I don't. Still, fun to listen to the conversations between various senators, representatives and their aids on the MIA-DCA leg.

Would you like the pita or the pita? AA starts from the front on even (or is it odd?) numbered flights; thus I was next to last in the choosing order for meals. Didn't matter. The drinks were flowing fast & free so who needs food?!

NO SMOKING!

Despite seeing my cigarette dangling from my lips, a cabbie begged & pleaded with me to use his cab for my journey to Tysons Corner. Then, when I got in, 'sorry sir, no smoking. I have a respiratory infection". Then why didn't you say so?! Fine. I can wait 20 minutes longer. Nice ride to the Hilton, light traffice.

Live, from high atop the 2nd floor...

I rarely stay at Hiltons... now I know why. Unless you're in the Towers, smoking rooms are on the 2nd floor. Fine. It's only for 1 night. Arrive in the room and... what a dump! It would appear that whomever had the room earlier today decided to come back to take care of some business, drink some booze and use the facilities. At least, that is the state in which I found the room. I stopped by the front desk on the way to the bar and asked if the room could be 'freshened'. Back from the bar, I discover that some gnome has come in and emptied my ashtray. That's it. Still trash in the can, still missing all kinds of beverages from the mini-bar. Yikes. Maybe I should just head to the JW tonight.

Nah, I'll call the manager....

Like that does any good. He promises to send someone 'right away'. 30 minutes later, Consuela comes and empties my trash. She doesn't know anything about the mini-bar, but will send someone from room service right away. That was an hour ago... still holding my breath.

OK, that's it for this installment. Tune in tomorrow.... Or Wednesday.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone seen my dongle?

Finally got checked out of the Hilton after they 'checked me out' twice (i.e., electronic key quit working). 25 minute cab ride through the pouring rain and I check in to the Marriott. "We have you on the 11th floor sir, it's a very nice view". I'm sure it is, and as soon as the building next door falls down, I'm sure I will be able to enjoy it. Failing that, I'll have to bide my time watching the Dilberts in the office building.

The JW has a neato-torpedo contraption for high speed internet access. All it takes is an Ethernet card & a dongle. I didn't think I'd need the dongle, so left it at the office. Land-lubber line speed connection is 24k. I think it's an evil plot by the hotel to get you to use the high speed connection. Maybe they sell dongles? Oh well. It wasn't that long ago that I was dialling into BBS with a 2400b modem!

The JW is also, apparently, on to my trick of cleaning out the mini-bar and then restocking with items purchased from 7-11. New fangled contraption that charges you as soon as you remove an item. 3 bux for a Pepsi means I need to make many trips to the opposite side of the building for ice to keep it all cold. That bugs the heck out of me. You'd think they could locate the ice machine in a central location. Failing that, have 2 machines per floor. I guess if they did that the folks in the suites on the other side wouldn't feel as privileged?

So tell me, frequent Capitol visitors, where can I get a good (i.e. USDA Prime)grilled steak in this town? (Preferably within walking distance of 13th & Pennsylvania).

Cheers,

'toad

[This message has been edited by Hammertoad (edited 09-21-1999).]
Old Sep 21, 1999, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
There at least used to be a Ruth Chris' on Connecticut Ave. near DuPont circle, but you'd want to take a taxi or the Metro.
Old Sep 21, 1999, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Ruth's Chris (say that 10 times fast) is ok... but I really prefer grilled steak (as opposed to baked/broiled/whatever it is that RC does). (Sorry Catman!)
Thinking of something along the lines of Morton's...

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 2:42 pm
Commander Catcop

Ruth's Chris is still there by the circle on Connecticut Avenue.

There are a few good steak places if you check your local magazine. Maybe Matt Wald, TribeFlyer, PhilForest and Geo1004 can help this man.

And have you ever been to Ruth's chris Hammertoad? you come to NYC (or see me sometime and I'll take you there as a comparison.)

Old Sep 21, 1999, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

I've been to Ruth's Chris a few times, in a few different locales. The one near where I live closed in July; supposedly will open a new location on tourist row (i.e., Int'l drive) in October. That pretty much ruins it for the locals right there.

So no, I don't have anything against RC - I've just got a hankerin' for a good ole bacon wrapped filet or maybe a porterhouse that's been seared on a 1200 degree grill!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I can't believe I called it Ruth Chris' instead of Ruth's Chris! (and that everybody let me get away with it!) And after having heard the weird story of how they got that weird name.

Catman: In New York, however, it's still an import. And we have such nice home-grown steak houses, too.

(Sort-of-OMNI-side note: 4-stars for Smith & Wallensky's in Vegas (next to MGM). Even looks like the NY model on 3rd Avenue. (which I still think of as Manny Wolf's - - now that really dates me!!))
Old Sep 21, 1999, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Hey hey sports fans - we have a winner! Strolling through the web, I see that Smith & Wollensky opened a restaurant here in July (I was last here in May or June).

19th between L and M if anyone cares....

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 3:15 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I thoght I heard they were opening a Palm in DC but I don't have any details or even know if they did. If so, it should be excellent.

Nothing beats a good ol' plain (ideally char broiled) mediun done 2 lb porterhouse. One of the few advantages of living out here and not in Manhattan (maybe only real advantage) is that you can grill whenever you want to!

BTW- You are not the FLA based FF who has suffered egregously at the hands of the airlines, are you? The one FT is looking for?
Old Sep 21, 1999, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Nah. That's not me. I live in central Floridia and never have had a bad experience with an airline. Unless you count United. They treated me rather egregiously in January and I have thus moved them to the bottom of the list (right below Air Tran). Since then, I've flown on over $20,000 in fares...

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 7:25 pm

Hammertoad,

The 7-11 / mini-bar thing is the funniest as well as the most ingenious thing I've heard in a long time.

Steak in DC: Morton's of Chicago on Prospect Street in Georgetown. Ruth Chris' of course. Also, one on K street called The Prime Rib which if you like Prime Rib is the best. There is a Palm and it's very good. Stay away from the Monocle if it's still open or any of the other famous steak places near the Capital.

Keep up the reports,

The Scribbler
Old Sep 21, 1999, 9:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Hammertoad,

Hands down, it's Sam & Harry's for steak in D.C. They are it for mouth-watering, perfectly charred flesh.

Samantha
Old Sep 21, 1999, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Sure, Samantha, now you tell me!

After I've had a wondrful filet; albeit at the lonely 'single business traveller table'. I guess we're all used to that by now, though? Or is it just me?

S&W was pretty good, akshully. The bartender was Very genorous with the Dewars... **** shame he was an Orioles fan or maybe I could've watched Sammy hit one?!

In Philly next week, so I'll check out the Prime Rib there.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 21, 1999, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Dam. I guess you can't say **** here. Sorry if I offended anyone....

Cheers,

'toad
Old Sep 22, 1999, 8:39 am
geo1004

Toad: DC native geo1004 here. S&W is pretty good... too bad you missed the porterhouse at The Palm. The Palm has been here for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.