Wiki Posts
Search

remaining 1/2 of ATL/KUL RTW, long like the trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 1999, 7:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

remaining 1/2 of ATL/KUL RTW, long like the trip

Business done in KUL, I am ready to hit the road, but I didn't get done in time to make the noon TG flight to BKK and then to NRT, so I decided to go out to the KUL airport and stay so as not to get up quite so early. Another 1 hr ride (this time in a Mercedes limo from the hotel) got me out there around 1 PM. The airport opened exactly 1 year ago but feels very sleepy. There wasn't much going on. Check in at the Pan Pacific connected to the airport--kind of disappointing. Much worse value than the Renaissance downtown.

Leave next AM on TG through BKK to NRT. BKKNRT is a Looooong flight-6.5 hours (I don't know what I expected, but it took forever). Got into NRT about 7 PM, got a room at the Holiday Inn Narita (I had stayed before--it serves the purpose). Quick ride to downtown Narita for dinner, then back to the hotel. Next AM decide to stay another day and get on the train for Chiba city--interesting to wander around and shop. They have quite a monorail.

Next AM check out of the hotel and go to airport for noon UA flight. UA area is sleepy--this is only flight for several hours. See about usingsome miles to upgrade business to first (I have some expiring, so better off to use them than lose them). To my surprise, they agree. So I get upgraded, lounges are sleepy/quiet, to find out that there are all of 3 people in F/C, (747-400 with the large (32 seat?) f/c, but with the old seats?!?). B/C was 1/2 full, coach apparently quite full. Good unobtrusive service--enjoyed the Bento Box, and appreciated the flight attendant who was from my town near Chicago--we joked about going to the town fair for the 4th--got home right on time, then next day flew to Atlanta (I had to remind them to upgrade my seat at NRT).

Conclusions--

1. I really am ambivalent btwn business and first class--I concluded this 10 years ago when I had the oppty to use some of the TWA awards to Europe/Hawaii, and it still follows. I won't give up much of value to go F/C given the un-enhanced F/C that I saw.

2. I was very impressed with Thai. They took Star Alliance really seriously and the aircraft were in better shape than UA's.

3. I really like to do the RTW in the westerly direction rather than the easterly---you lose fewer nights sleep!!!!

JL
Old Jul 13, 1999, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Welcome home Jamiel. Nice trip report all around (the world). Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 1999, 9:48 pm

Great report, really enjoyed it...
Old Jul 13, 1999, 10:13 pm

Welcome home, jamiel, and thanks for your reports (and postings while enroute). SQ FC might change your mind about FC, though.

DL uses the HolInn/NRT for crew, so on the hotel shuttle bus to town, if DL crew are on it, you can catch up on what's going on with DL to Japan. My last ride on the shuttle included a captain who shared his low opinion of the infamous Rube Goldberg-esque "cockpit crew bunks" on DL's trans-Pac MD-11.

Old Jul 14, 1999, 12:50 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
jamiel - glad to see you home safe. Best greetings from Gisela, who is still impressed about your visit in her kitchen and your recipe how to store your gifts. She served them this Monday - they were delicious.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 07-14-1999).]
Old Jul 14, 1999, 9:38 am
Original Member

Great report and welcome back. Guess you will rest a while before flying again.
Old Jul 15, 1999, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I know DL and QF both stay at that hotel. Interesting--this time I was able to get Priority Club benefits (including late checkout, and presumably including points)even though the time before I was there they denied points to me--bought a voucher at the tour desk at NRT.

I haven't flown on DL to see the bunk-things--I have an image like that of a pop-up trailer--you crrrrrrank up the top, you puuuul out the bunks, you raise the hoop over the bed, and go to sleep (theoretically)

jl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.