Wiki Posts
Search

DEN-BOS-DEN (ridiculously long)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
DEN-BOS-DEN (ridiculously long)

It was another of my regular trips out to the main plant in Shrewsbury, MA via BOS. The flight was the 12:30 flight 1200 rather than our usual flight 1200 near 10am.

The City of Denver, in their wisdom, placed DEN 25 miles out into the prairie northeast of Denver. I therefore have to leave my house two hours ahead of time to arrive with reasonable margin. Traffic was OK, so I arrived with ample time to spare. Park -- shuttlevan -- elevator to check in.

Peering in at the departure monitors I see the flight is on time. The trip is for a week and I don't like carrying on a bag that large. It's still too early in my frequent flying career to have made Premier with UA so I peruse the baggage check in line for us hoi polloi. As usual, it is "around the block." A quick trip back outside curbside and the greasing of a palm with a few greenbacks puts my bags into the tender care of the system.

Heading toward the north end of the terminal, I see over the railing down to the floor below that the line at terminal security is short that day. The decision is to go through there rather than take the skywalk security route. The scanner operator twigs on the collapsible umbrella packed in the bottom of my briefcase. Unload bag -- extract umbrella -- demonstrate negative explosive content -- repack. Embark on "Happy Fun Train" for the computer controlled trip out to Concourse B, the Land o' United.

Doors open, grab poll . . . ZOOM ... doors open and dash for the escalators. Up we go and then glide down the slidewalk to the west Red Carpet Club.

I digress now to pay homage to the ever generous PremEx for passing on the knowledge that exit rows are released for public consumption on the day of the flight. * Thank you * "Yes," the agent says, "there are exit row seats." I claim one of the precious jewels of steerage salvation then direct my steps towards the club bar. Fortified by a Becks and having chatted for a bit with my favorite bar tender, I am then gateward bound.

With the frontward positioned seat 8E I am in the last group of lambs herded into the aluminum pen. The abacus between my ears recalculates the number of miles until Premier and associated boarding perk.

Ahhh, it wasn't First, but it was good to stretch my legs (and not be reclined into.) I truly had been smiled upon since 8D was empty. Curiously, there were 23 empties on that flight. The FAs tell me that was anomalous and the flight is usually quite full.

The distance passed uneventfully with the exception of an incident back in the nether regions of coach. Some unfortunate child experienced a "digestive reverse" of the most recently consumed meal. This was followed by an astoundingly cheerful cleanup by the FAs. "Travel, See Exotic Places, Cleanup Organic Spills!" I suspect the FA hiring brochures are not worded quite that way ;-D

The usual arrival drill: restroom stop, baggage claim (prompt for a change), pick up Avis car (slow as usual.) I know not what it is about the Avis counter at BOS. They are always ssssslllllloooooooowwww. Compounding the tardiness, it seems they were all out of intermediate size cars, but will gladly let us have the next size smaller. For the inconvenience I am generously offered $8.00 total. When I point out that is somewhat chintzy for their mistake I receive a counter offer of $8.00 per day. Since I was arguing about the company's money and not mine, I took the second offer and did not try do beat them down further.

We launch off into Boston, but I use the term "launch" only metaphorically since it was really more of a plod. This was the worst trip out of Boston I've had yet. It was close to an hour from the airport until we were headed west on the Mass Turnpike. To be fair, that includes one navigational error on my part, but that was induced by poor freeway signage on this month's incarnation of the "Big Dig" project in central Boston.

Later that night . . . we arrive at the Embassy Suites in the central MA town of Westborough. The lovely Victoria checks us in, as usual. Of the various places we are put up, I like the Embassy the best. The rooms are nice and spacious and breakfast and early evening snacks are included.

The bulk of the week is filled with the tedious details of tape drive design. I will gloss over the week other than Wednesday dinner. The charming AnnaS was also in Boston. With a small flurry of e-mail we find an evening that works and manage a dinner meeting in the north suburbs of Boston. The conversation topic was: Travel. I am a mere beginner on these Boston trips compared to Anna who often gets there several times a month. Anyway, I had a lovely dinner and had a great time (Hi, Anna!)

Changing scene to Friday gives us Monday's performance played out in reverse. Drive back to Boston, turn in the rental, and shuttle to terminal C. United has around 25 domestic ticketing stations at BOS and typically they man about 4 of them (including the First/Premier station.) This time was no different. However, the line is very short so I opted to check my bag here and save a couple bucks.

[---Buzzzz--- Wrong answer, but thanks for playing!]

One of the difficulties of running so few stations is that a few slow/confused/heavily-laden passengers bring the entire check-in process to a halt. This was the situation that day until a supervisor noticed the bottleneck and opened two more stations. I say goodbye to my bag with the hope it will be Rising to Denver. An aisle exit row seat is scored!

(Thanks again, PremEx.)

I seat myself stretching my legs luxuriantly into the ample space in front of me. We are moments from pushback when my window seat companion and I smugly congratulate ourselves on winning the "Empty Middle Seat Lottery." This is just the sort of hubris the Sky Gods do not tolerate. A large gentleman lumbers down the aisle and pitches himself down the gravity well into the middle seat of my row. -- Sigh -- Oh well, at least my aisleward left shoulder wouldn't be cramped (I'm still working the cramps out of my right shoulder.)

That fact that I had headphones crammed in my ears was not enough to dissuade Mr. Middleseat from conversation. The movie was "Elizabeth." He asked me whether it was about the current English queen's mother. All of the horses, swords and total lack of 20th century technology were apparently insufficient clues. "Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to be inadequate seat companions." [to paraphrase Santayna]

There is little of note from here on out: land-taxi-dock-debouche-concourse-RCC [a brief libation]-escalator-train-escalator-baggage-elevator-shuttle-car-drive-home. [Phew] Well, that's my typical week at work in MA. This happens every two months or so, with my own amusing trips filling in between. It was a little more hectic this time since I just got back from the San Antonio FT Get Together the night before leaving for BOS. Future reports will be a bit briefer. You can presume what I don't mention goes pretty much like the above :-D

Happy Skies,
QuantumLeap
Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:24 pm
geo1004

good report

Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
a real reading pleasure - thank you.
Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Old Jun 22, 1999, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks for the great read.
Old Jun 22, 1999, 1:15 pm
Original Member

- I second the confusing highway signage due to the Big Dig. I got lost too the last time I drove from the airport (I sually take the T).
Old Jun 22, 1999, 2:07 pm
Commander Catcop

:{ Be warned.. a catty comment coming!!!

It's NOT about Quantium Leap's excellent, FOur PAWS up report. I don't care how long any of you go.

Now the catty comment: I guess Mr. Middleseat's favorite movie is "the Waterboy" and for him to mistake the babe Cate Blanchette from Pberrett's nation of OZ for the distinguised QUeen is shameful.

The Queen I don't think would be amused to be compared to a movie star.. Queen Elizabeth the First, yes, but not the woman who should ahve won the Best Actress Oscar. (Sorry Gwyeneth Fans.)

------------------
MEOW! MEOW! MEOW!!!

[This message has been edited by Catman (edited 06-22-1999).]
Old Jun 22, 1999, 3:15 pm
Original Member

"debouche"?
Old Jun 22, 1999, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I start writing along and curious words pounce into the text from the cobweb coated corners of my cranium

debouche - to exit forth
I believe the derivation is French
"de bouche" out of the mouth

I should run my text through an archaic and unusual words filter before it is debouched from my PC ;-D

Old Jun 22, 1999, 5:59 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Are you sure it's not from Latin? Much of French, like English, is!

Ditto comments above regarding your report. Ever thought about being a part-time novelist? I hear Steven King will be out for a while and you might be able to pick up a little of the slack if you can mix up some good fiction with your writings!
Old Jun 23, 1999, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Romans, Saxons, Danes, Norman French...everyone invaded England. No wonder English is so inconsistent.

RE filling in for Mr. King:
"Horror Tales from the Skies" perhaps?

Writing English is too difficult on a regular basis. I'll stick to computer code
Old Jun 23, 1999, 11:00 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Old Jun 23, 1999, 12:03 pm
BIM

QL:

One note about your slow Rental Car comment - may be worth your obtaining (perhaps via your Corporate Travel Department) a Preferred Select membership (AVIS) or a #1 Gold (Hertz). They are usually available for the asking (or a nominal fee) and can definitely ease the RC blues...
Old Jun 23, 1999, 12:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
You can join the Avis Preferred program (not the more upscale Preferred Select program) for free on the internet at:

http://www.avis.com/programs_and_ser...ms/pref_renter /

The basic Preferred membership will get you in and out of their pretty quick I've found. The Preferred Select basically just adds a free upgrade to the mix, but doesn't really provide a faster renting experience.
Old Jun 23, 1999, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

BIM and Beckles,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have to go through the corporate Avis account (at least if I want the company to pay for it ) I was not clear whether if I signed up for Preferred it could be used in conjunction with the corporate account. Corporate travel might have some info (but I doubt it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.