Search

Trip report - SAT/DAL/SAT (WN) (long)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 1999, 6:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: OnePass
Trip report - SAT/DAL/SAT (WN) (long)

Flew up to Dallas this weekend to visit some friends.

Friday, got on Southwest 156 from SAT. Told flight was delayed an hour as there were storms forcing a weather delay in Harlingen/Rio Grande Valley (HRL), where the flight originated. As we were waiting for the flight, on the gate next door was Flight 711 to Las Vegas; flown by a brand new 737-700 with a very peculiar registration number: N711HK. Coincidence? I think not! The 'HK' obviously are the initials for Herb Kelleher, chairman and chief Elvis impersonator for WN.)

Our trusty steed, though was an older 737-200 (N68SW). As the flight was delayed, some passengers from a later flight to DAL were placed on it. Learned a bit of SW airlines slang: "spinner". A spinner is a passenger that gets aboard a flight, but cannot find a vacant seat. The passenger tends to spin about the cabin looking for any seat, until the FAs finally get him/her off the aircraft.

Finally off the ground on SAT's Runway 12R around 12:30 (from an original 11:10 ETD). After a wide climbing turn over San Antonio, with an excellent view of SAT, the rest of the flight was uneventful. Now it doesn't surprise me much but the WN F/As were able to serve your choice of drinks along with the ubiquitous peanuts with no problem at all. On the other hand, Delta's infamous 'Fast-Break' service, in an attempt to emulate WN is a very poor imitation.

On final approach to DAL, flew over DFW airport before touching down on Love Field's Runway 13L. I hadn't flown into DAL for a while, so I was impressed at the new look to the airport.

After picking up our rental car (Hertz #1 Club Gold, exactly ) drove over to the Doubletreee Hotel at Campbell Centre (Northwest Highway at US 75). Hotel rooms are very comfortable -- less than a dozen rooms per floor. Oh yes, the signature cookies are the best... now how about FF miles or a frequent stayer program? (Don't worry, put the room on AMEX, with Membership Rewards.)

Coming back on Sunday, had a lotta time to kill before showtime at Love Field. Over at Love Field is one of their best-kept little secrets: the Museum of Aviation on the second floor of the terminal. For $2.50 it's a great way to kill some time while waiting for a flight.

Return flight on Southwest 531 (a 737-300, N687SW), arriving early in the evening toa hot and steamy San Antonio, already celebrating the Spurs' NBA championship win!
------------------
AlphaSigOU
Causa latet vis est notissima - the cause is hidden, the results are well-known.

[This message has been edited by AlphaSigOU (edited 06-29-1999).]
Old Jun 26, 1999, 11:11 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I think WN has an advantage over any of the full service airlines in providing full drink service on short flights because they do not have FC. I'm sure other airlines operate the same way, on DL one attendant is pretty much dedicated to FC (though they'll sometimes help with picking up trash in coach, but not serving), meaning you usually only have two serving drinks to coach instead of the three on WN.

[This message has been edited by Beckles (edited 06-27-1999).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.