Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Winter Sun - BA First to Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Meh
Thanks for the TR.

Regarding the lady who had fear of flying, I can understand this as my wife sometimes suffers terribly from this. Granted we never got an upgrade, nor looked for one, but your opinion of whether she was actually in fear is questionable, as is your feeling of entitlement to their seats. Just my honest opinion.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:23 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Those car licenses are illegal in DXB - but I guess they aren't 'road worthy' vehicles - just sitting out there for show. You get it in many places in DXB.

I haven't actually stayed at the Conrad DXB yet, but from the sounds of it, it does sound very nice. How is the exec lounge - drinks etc? That tub looks like a perfect place to spend a sunset afternoon, with a bottle of bubbly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by rxfleming
Those car licenses are illegal in DXB - but I guess they aren't 'road worthy' vehicles - just sitting out there for show. You get it in many places in DXB.

I haven't actually stayed at the Conrad DXB yet, but from the sounds of it, it does sound very nice. How is the exec lounge - drinks etc? That tub looks like a perfect place to spend a sunset afternoon, with a bottle of bubbly.
Thanks rxfleming, it was really nice. In terms of exec lounge, this was probably the best Hilton exec lounge i've been to. Very spacious, always loads of seats free. The food quality was of a very high standard, plenty of choice at both breakfast and evening for canapés. Drinks wise, two choices each of red and white wine, Prosecco, bottles of Heineken and most branded spirits too.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:45 am
formerly rxfleming

Thanks ashington80

Was exec lounge drinks/canapes only available certain times of day, or all day as like Conrad Singapore for example?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rxfleming
Thanks ashington80

Was exec lounge drinks/canapes only available certain times of day, or all day as like Conrad Singapore for example?
Canapés and alcoholic drinks were only available in the evening. Although, there was afternoon tea served from 3pm as well but we never got to try it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by DanielW
Upgrade to F due to fear of flying!!!

Have to admire their creativity.
I shall keep it in mind for the future.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:02 am
Original Poster

British Airways Boeing 747-400
Dubai - London
BA0106
Depart: 02:25am
Arrive: 6:25am
Class: First

For our return journey back we were not so keen to get to the airport early as we had heard the BA lounge at DXB is quite poor. Arriving at the airport just before 12:30am we had some time to browse duty free and pay a quick visit to the BA lounge. I’m glad I read the reviews on FT about the lounge beforehand so that I my expectations were low.

The lounge seemed like quite a depressing place and there nowhere near enough seats.

Again, I was quite keen to board early to enjoy some LPGS after boarding so we one of the first to board. For this flight we were sat together in seats 4E and 4F.

When boarded, LPGS was supplied to quench my thirst and I then changed into my pyjamas.

Also there was good news is that this BA 747 was one of the super J’s that had been recently fitted with the Panasonic IFE

Legroom

View across to the empty seats across the aisle

First class food and drink menu

I went for the grilled beef tenderloin which was delicious, but I chose to miss a starter.

Here is the Chevre cheese and grilled courgette starter that my partner went for.

Before setting down for some sleep I opted to enjoy a JW Blue Label. The measure I had was huge, too much to finish but I enjoyed none the less. Another drink I just I could afford to drink more often!

The flight landed slightly ahead of schedule into T5B. We then made our way to the Arrivals lounge where we showered and then took breakfast in the Concorde Room (arrivals) before making our way to the Heathrow express.

Thanks all for reading.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; Marriott Titanium
Great trip report thanks for sharing. Nice to see pics of DXB reminding me of my trip there last year. On the license plate I was told that the lower the plate number the higher status the person who owns the car, i.e. lower number = royalty. Does anyone know if that is true?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 9:02 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by hickmantitle
Great trip report thanks for sharing. Nice to see pics of DXB reminding me of my trip there last year. On the license plate I was told that the lower the plate number the higher status the person who owns the car, i.e. lower number = royalty. Does anyone know if that is true?
General speaking it is true - lower the plate number = more important / wealthy. One tends to move over if a low number plate car, with blackened windows speeds up behind you on the highway (usually a white SUV of some kind)

There are regular auctions for cherished / desirable plates - so, as per the norm in Dubai, if you have the money......

The Ruler of Dubai, HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum has plate number 1.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:33 am
formerly rxfleming

Yes, the number plate thing is true. We have a 3 digit plate when we are in Dubai on the Lexus we use, and a 2 digit plate when in AD on the Merc we use. We also use a house on the Palm beside a few of the RAS Royal Family, who have a few single digits (RAS plates).

Number 1 in AD actually belongs to Saeed Abdul Ghafour Khouri. Not a Sheikh.

Number 1 in Dubai, as NoY has said above is owned by HH Sheikh bin Rashid, and is on his G63 AMG Mercedes-Benz.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks NoY and rxfleming for the insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.