Winter Sun - BA First to Dubai

BA 0109 to Dubai

British Airways Boeing 777-200
London – Dubai
BA0109
Depart: 21:45pm
Arrive: 8:35am
Class: First

Welcome to my first ever Trip report on FT.

The flight was booked as a surprise trip for my GF and I to travel to Dubai for a quick break in the sun.

It was booked using avios and a BA Amex companion voucher.

When I made the booking back in August 2015, I was originally booked onto the earlier BA0105 flight which was due to leave at 20:35 from LHR.
Unfortunately, the flight was cancelled and we were bumped onto the later 21:45 flight. I was fine with this as I didn’t have to change hotel plans but we were moved to seats at the opposite end of the cabin from one another. I had to call the BA CS line to get them to change this, the best they could do was move us to seats 2A and 3A

We arrived at the airport about 4 hours before departure to ensure we get the full value of our ticket and enjoy the CCR and Elemis Spa.
First thing to do at the CCR was to grab a seat out on the terrace and order a glass of LPGS. If only I could afford to drink this stuff every week!

Next stop in the CCR, was to eat in the private dining area.
Here is the braised Ox Cheek I ordered at the CCR private dining area. It was delicious. I also had the scallops and bread and butter pudding. All the food was really good, especially the scallops.

Braised Ox Cheek

Nice drop of 19 year old, Age of Discovery Glenfiddich at the CCR champagne bar

After finishing our food, we then went to the Elemis spa for a head and shoulder massage. The spa was very quiet, maybe because of the time of year. In fact, the whole airport seemed quiet to what I’m used to on a Monday evening when I flying to CPH.

Boarding commenced pretty much on time from C terminal and we were one of the first few to board.

When boarding I requested to the FA if we could change seats with anyone but we were told the cabin was full.
Only when boarding was completed, did I notice that the cabin wasn’t actually full. Seats 1A and 1K were free. As there were couples occupying the middle row suites, I didn’t ask again to the FA to be moved so I accepted that we were staying in 2A and 3A. It was only when I noticed the same FA asking the couple sat in 1E and 1F to move to 1F and 1K to sit across the aisle did I think our luck may actually be in.

However, someone from a lower cabin was upgraded stating ‘medical reasons’. The so called medical issue actually turned out to be someone who was scared of flying.

I found it very frustrating that the FA didn’t consider my request to move, but someone who was gold or silver status (I can’t exactly recall the colour of his card tag on his hand luggage) from a lower cabin was able to blag an upgrade for him and his wife. The so called medical issue couldn’t have been so, as I asked the husband if he would actually allow us to sit across the aisle from one another in 1A and 1E and he and his wife who was scared of flying could sit in our seats (2A & 3A). He accepted my request only to be shouted at by his wife, “I need to see my husband during the flight!” If he knew his wife was scared of flying, he would have refused my request point blank. He was happy to accept my request knowing him and his wife had already blagged their way into First.

Anyway, rant over. Here are some shots of us enjoying the cabin.

Cabin shots

My partner sat in 3A

Legroom shots in seat 2A

Dining with my partner in seat 3F using companion seat

First Class Food and Drinks Menu

Thanks for reading my report so far. I’ll try and post some hotel pics and a report of the return flight later…

Last edited by ashington80; Feb 8, 2016 at 8:57 am Reason: Picture additions/corrections
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:50 am

Upgrade to F due to fear of flying!!!

Have to admire their creativity.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:54 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Thanks a lot for your nice trip report!
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
Photos aren't loading? hope to see them soon ^

Interesting about the fear of flying/op-up, sounds like a fear of flying in world traveler or WTP. They must have laid it on think while boarding

Enjoy your winter sun break, assuming its a Hilton property booked?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Nice report but can you adjust your pics please, several of them needing adjustment
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I hope you found it warm enough to enjoy your break. It's been a little chilly here the last few weeks.

One has to wonder whether a wife like that would be an asset or a liability ...
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for taking the time to share. Look forward to the rest
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DanielW
Upgrade to F due to fear of flying!!!

Have to admire their creativity.
Yeah, creativity is one word for it! I will have to remember that one for next time
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the kind comments.

And apologies for the photo issues, they should now be fixed as I have hosted them at photobucket instead of Dropbox ^
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
THanks for sharing your TR, glad you enjoyed CCR and your meal in the dining room. What a nerve to blag an upgrade obviously they did not want to pay for F so put on the charm, shame the F cabin was not totally full, what would they have done then
Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Nice TR, thanks for sharing. Will we get some photos from Dubai too?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Hilton Conrad Dubai

Executive Suite

Arriving at the hotel in the morning quite tired, we were directed to the Executive Lounge on the 24th floor to complete the check in. This is the first time that Ive ever checked in at the Executive Lounge as opposed to reception.

As no rooms were ready we were invited to have breakfast in the Exec lounge whilst one was readied. In no more than about 30 minutes we were informed that our room was ready, even better news that we were upgraded from a King corner room to an Executive Suite. The room was huge! Really nice.

Hotel Lobby

The hotel had a really nice pool area. This was great for us, as were not really beach people.

Here are some pictures of room 4413, Executive Suite

View when entering

The cloakroom

Dining area

Seating area

Bedroom area

Bath and shower with a view!

View from the bed

Thanks again all for reading. Ill try and post a few pics of in and around Dubai next.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
How delightful, nicely done!! ^^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:24 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow what a fabulous upgrade, it all looked amazing. Hotel pool area looked nice. Looking forward to more pics and info in due course^
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks again all for the comments...

In and around Dubai

We tried to do as many of the touristy things in the 6 days that we had, so we managed the Dubai mall, Burj Khalifa, Dubai Fountains and also some dune bashing which Id recommend to anyone thrill seeking.

Burj Khalifa by day

Burj Khalifa by night

Dubai fountains

Dune Bashing with Arabian Adventure Tours

For my partners birthday we booked for a meal at Pai Thai at the Al Qasr Hotel.

The taxi dropped us off and I was shocked at the line up of supercars outside!

Love the number plate

Excellent starters of Satay Chicken and Chilli Beef at Pai Thai. (great restaurant, would recommend to anyone)

Ill try and post a few pictures of the return journey next.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.