Foodcrawling in Portland: AS 737 "Alaska Beyond" Y and Eating Portlandia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold

Hello all,

Welcome to my second trip report here on Flyertalk, with many more to come, so I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I think this TR wins the award for the fastest finished, as my last one took me 3 months to write.
Introduction
Review: Alaska Airlines Economy San Francisco to Portland
Portland Day 1
Portland Day 2
Portland Day 3
Review: Alaska Airlines Economy Portland to San Francisco

In mid-May I stumbled upon some ~$188 roundtrip fares from San Francisco to Portand, being sold by American on Alaska. A new city, great restaurants, and some more AAdvantage miles? Count me in! @:-)

Alaska Airlines 737-800

We decided to take a quick weekend trip up to Oregon, and we were able to eat at some of the nation’s most famous restaurants, and hike around the beautiful city.

We were able to visit tea gardens,

Tea gardens

Tea gardens

Walk across some daunting bridges,

Bridge of the Gods

See some art,

Portland Art Museum

And of course eat some wonderful food

Ava Gene’s

Bollywood Theater

Kachka

Stumptown

In the end, our itinerary looked like this:

6/18 AS383 San Francisco to Portland departing 9:10am arriving 10:54am
6/20 AS384 Portland to San Francico departing 9:35pm arriving 11:36pm

Instead of booking a hotel for ~$200 a night, we booked a gorgeous Airbnb in the Pearl District. ^

Airbnb

This trip was a lot of fun, and I hope to return again soon! I’ll try to post one installment a day, and enjoy!

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 29, 2015 at 3:42 pm Reason: links
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:48 pm

Thanks for posting about Portland .... I'm an Oregonian and sometimes I forget about all the great places close to home. Looking forward to reading about Kachka, as I have yet to try this establishment!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Review: Alaska Airlines Economy Class San Francisco to Portland

We arrived at SFO around 8:10 am for our 9:10 departure. I'm not one for early mornings, and having slept for six hours the night before, this felt more like a 5:45 am flight than a 9:10 one. Alaska flies out of the international "A" side gates at SFO, and at this time in the morning, the terminal was filled with passengers to Hawaii on HA. The international terminal at SFO used to not have Pre-check, but it seems like they are implementing it now, at least on the A side gates. Today I was selected for "random" TSA-pre at the checkpoint, instead of having it on my boarding pass. We were through in a breeze, even though I got selected for the free TSA massage .

International terminal

International terminal check-in

International terminal airside

Today's flight was from gate A2, so we made it to the gate just in time for our 8:30 boarding time.

Today's plane

Before I continue on to the actual flight, a few words on Alaska's boarding process. First they start with First Class, MVP Gold and 75Ks, military members, and then exit rows. Then, they start calling rows, from the back to the front. While I can see the positives of boarding the back first, it would cause a lot less confusion if Alaska just used group boarding. Also, I loved how the gate agent boasted that Alaska has "over 90 airline partners worldwide." Hah!

Alaska 383
San Francisco (SFO) - Portland (PDX)
Thursday, June 18
Depart: 9:10AM, actual 9:43AM
Arrive: 10:54AM, actual 11:01AM
Duration: 1hr 44min
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Seat: 7D (Economy)

After we boarded and settled in, it was just about five minutes before scheduled departure. Now, in coach, it's not the seat that makes the flight, it's the people. The first of such characters was the first class flight attendant. While she was cheery, she was very motivated to leave on time to say the least. "Come everybody, we've got three minutes till I have to close the door! Hurry up!" Despite her efforts, we pushed back ten minutes late and had a lengthy taxi (20 minutes) to the runway.

I was pleased to see this flight featured Alaska's new slimline seats, which are part of the “Alaska Beyond” experience. Just a word about that: these new seats are so close to being the domestic coach. They are well padded, the power and USB ports are easy to locate and use, and there is so much legroom! YAAS great @:-) Alaska
The empower outlets are directly under the tray tables, where as on American one has to reverse sit-up to find the ports.

Slimline seats

Legroom

I read my Kindle for most of the flight, and it's worth mentioning Alaska did not have IFE and while the flight was scheduled to have wifi, the flight attendants never mentioned it, and it wasn’t operational. There was a short drinks service, and for those interested, there were buy-on-board meal boxes (similar to the ones United serves) for $7 a piece. I kept my money. About halfway through the flight, the women in the window seat began to paint her nails. Yes, she gave herself a pedicure at 35,000 feet. In coach. Next to people.

Really?

On the plus side, the views during the flight were spectacular, and I even convinced the woman to take some photos for Instagram.

Oregon

Mt. Hood

We touched down in Portland at 11AM, and had a quick taxi to the gate. I find that Alaska pilots have firm landings and taxi at takeoff speed, but maybe that's just me.

We deplaned quickly and we were on our way to the rental car desks.

Bottom line

Alaska offers a great coach product, especially for short one or two hours flights up and down the West Coast. However, without IFE, I'm not sure I'd love it on a five hour transcon. I found this flight perfectly comfortable and quick. Flights on Alaska are a great deal on Avios as well, for only 4,500 miles each way per person for flights under 650 miles. Fly Alaska! :-:

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 22, 2015 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chancensam
Looking forward to reading about Kachka, as I have yet to try this establishment!
Couple more posts till that, but I'll preface it by saying that it was fantastic.

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 22, 2015 at 12:02 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Portland Day 1

Bridge of the Gods

After renting our car, we drove straight from PDX to Bridge of the Gods, a bridge that connects Oregon and Washington over the Columbia River. The drive is along I-84, and the road, especially in the way there, is extremely rough. Head achingly so. However, the gorgeous views en route more than made up for that.

Scenery along I-84

Scenery

I had read about the bridge in Wild, and many on travel websites advise going here for the beautiful views of the Columbia River. When I first heard of the bridge, I thought it was a pedestrian-exclusive bridge. I looked it up and it appeared to be a working road bridge, and so I confirmed that pedestrians could, in fact, walk across it, which the Port of Cascade Locks' website said. Walking across costs $0.50 each way, which is collected at the same toll booth. When we parked and closer examined the bridge, we realized we were in for a much more exhilarating experience . There is no sidewalk, allocated pedestrian walkway, or even a lane. Pedestrians walk right alongside the moving cars from side to another. Adding to this already daunting proposition was how windy it was. The walk across was in every was stunning and beautiful as it was terrifying. Once the bridge begins to cross over water, the paved road stops, and is replaced by a metal-structure-road, and one can see all the way down to the water.

View from the bridge

Ground below us

After a dizzying walk to Washington and back, we drove to a local restaurant and had lunch. Nothing to write home about, but it held us over until dinner. From there we were off to our Airbnb!

Airbnb

Portland Art Museum

After a much needed rest at our comfy Pearl District Airbnb, we had several hours to spend before our dinner reservation. On Thursdays and Fridays, the Portland Art Museum is open until eight. We saw an Ai Weiwei exhibit was being shown on there, and we decided to go, having enjoyed is exhibition at Alcatraz. We arrived at the museum, which is comprised of several buildings, and parked quickly. It's worth mentioning how parking in Portland works: park in either free spots or "pay to park" zones. Then, if paying, go to the nearest green kiosk, pay for however much time you need (the maximum amount varies by location) and place the slip on the curbside window, not the dash.

Portland Art Museum

Portland Art Museum

Portland Art Museum

Ai Weiwei Exhibit

Golden Zodiac Heads

Lobby

For what it's worth, this exhibit is on display until September 13th. The museum was founded in 1892, and is one of the oldest in the country, so there are lots of contemporary pieces as well as old ones. We wandered the Asian galleries, before heading upstairs to the European ones. The galleries aren't clearly marked, so be sure to pick up a map or ask a docent before wandering away. From the museum we were off to Ava Gene's for dinner!

Ava Gene's

Our reservation was originally for 5:30, but we changed last minute to 8:30, which suited us much better. We arrived at the restaurant right on time, and settled in for what would be one of the best meals of my life. The menu changes daily, and seasonal dishes reflect that. We decided to order two appetizers, two vegetables, and share two entrees. First served was the garlic bread.

Garlic bread

The bread was so light and airy, as well as crispy. The butter coated my lips, and the whole experience was sublime. If that was my last bite of food on this planet, I would be a-ok!

Buratta with cherries, pistachios, and olives

Next came the buratta, which was creamy and perfectly punctuated with the cherries and olives. The dish came together in an explosion of sweet, savory, sour, and creamy.

Beet and carrot salad, AKA "the symphony"

Now, this might not look like much, but oh my gosh, this salad of beets, carrots, seeds, and mint was otherworldly. Without a doubt the best vegetable dish I've ever had, and up there with the top dishes of anything I've ever had. With every second a new flavor danced across my palate, and another played in the background. It was a symphony. What made it even more distinctive is that each flavor was not melded together, per se, but I could discern different ingredients as I tasted the salad. I could go on all day about it, but I'll stop there.

Mizuna salad with local flowers

This salad, while overdressed and predictable, had a spicy ness and nuttiness that kept my palate fresh and ready for the next dish.

Tagliatelle with pork and lamb ragu with greens

After such spectacular appetizers, almost nothing could measure up. The pasta was well seasoned and perfectly cooked, but it didn't quite bring me the joy the earlier dishes did. It was delicious nonetheless.

Ribeye with fava beans, porcini, and parmigiano

I love love love seasonal fare, and this dish could have been made for me. The fava and porcini accentuated the flavor of the steak, and my only complaint would be that a lot of fat was left on the steak.

Cannolo with orange and pistachios

For dessert, I split a Stumptown gelato with another person at the table, (not pictured), and took a taste of the cannolo the third person in our party ordered. It was simple and sweet. ^ The gelato was creamy and was the perfect end to such a fantastic meal.

I really shouldn't write trip reports hungry (not a @:-)), and as I write this at 12:28 am the next day, I can still taste all that delicious food. If you are in Portland, you must go to Ava Gene's and pray they have the beet salad.

Bottom line

Visit Portland!

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 22, 2015 at 12:08 am
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Portland Day 2

Chinese Tea Garden

Our first stop of the day was the Chinese Tea Garden, and it was a short walk from our Airbnb.

Walking to the tea garden

It was very refreshing and nice to get a change of scenery from downtown Portland, even though we had only been there for one day. The garden was very aesthetically pleasing and relaxing.

When entering, we were presented with the option of following a tour, our guiding ourselves. We first went with the latter, and tried to follow the tour, and I found the guide to be very passionate about her job.

Tea garden entrance

Pamphlet

Tea garden

Tea garden

Tea garden

Tea garden

Tea garden

There was a mystery tea tasting going on, which I participated in and won an iced tea.

Tea tasting

The garden was fragrant, and the lilies in the koi pond were blooming.

Tea garden

All the flowers and plants were very fragrant, which I enjoyed.

Flowers

It was certainly nice to have a change of scenery, and I'm very glad we decided to go here. We were visiting the Japanese tea garden the next day, so we were able to compare the two gardens.

Voodoo Doughnuts

Before I even talk about Voodoo Doughnuts, I should mention that this is not the place to visit in Portland for the best doughnut, however it is still an experience. It's a very touristy spot, and local friends recommend not visiting the main store, and instead going to the smaller one, which is less crowded, and less touristy. When we arrived, there was a line stretching out the door and around the block.

Voodoo Doughnuts

The place itself is very eclectic. My apologies for not taking more photos, there were just too many people confined in the space. Just browsing the doughnuts gave me a toothache, and a lot of the pastries are far too sweet for their own good. I got a raised glazed doughnut, considering I hadn't yet eaten lunch. It cost me a mere $0.95.

Voodoo Doughnuts Menu

The doughnut itself was fairly good, but nothing I couldn't get at Krispy Kreme or Randy's in LA. Most of the visit to Voodoo Doughnuts is the experience, and it's worth seeing a shop that truly encapsulates the "Keep Portland Weird" movement.

Powell's City of Books

I'm not quite sure how to introduce Powell's as part of this trip report. It is an enormous bookstore, occupying three floors of an entire block. Needless to say, it is not for the indecisive. This visit was our second pilgrimage, and we went every day we were in Portland!

Powell's City of Books Exterior

There are two entrances, one on Couch Street, and one on Burnside. On. Both sides there are "lobbies", with info desks, cashiers, and featured book sections. The bookstore is organized by different colors of rooms, and each one corresponds with several subjects. The first floor has the two lobbies, and two colors. There is an intermediate level between floor one and two, which has even more books. And then there's still the second and third floor.

During our second visit, we visited the rare books room, which has old and historic books, most of which can be bought by the public. This room closes at 7pm, and it's worth noting that the bookstore itself closes at 11pm.

Rare book room

Rare book room

Rare book room

The room also featured the full Oxford English Dictionary, which was for sale.

Every word in the English language

The bookstore was a thrill to visit, and while some hardcover titles are priced as expected , there are gem paperbacks that are heavily discounted ^. The store carries new, remaindered, and used books. The employees are friendly and helpful as well, and help navigate this massive bookstore.

Bollywood Theater

For dinner, we decided to drive to the Bollywood Theater on Division, which had been recommended to us by a friend. Bollywood is a fast-casual Indian restaurant, although when we arrived, a slow line wrapped out the door. Eventually we ordered our food and sat down. We decided to order a couple dishes and share them family-style. The price points here are wonderfully low, and for six (!) dishes, including a meat vindaloo (not pictured), our bill was only $60.

First arrived to the table was the fried okra and papri chaat.

Fried Okra and Papri Chaat

The papri chaat was fantastic, and the okra were good, but would have been better if they were hotter. Next came the beets and vindaloo. We also ordered a Kati roll, which isn't pictured. The beets were delicious and were roasted with coconut milk, so they had a cooling effect. The vindaloo was very well spiced and the heat snuck up on us as we ate it. It was fantastic. The Kati roll was also very good, although very juicy, which I guess isn't a bad thing, although it exploded all over my shirt ^.

Beets with Coconut Milk and Curry Leaves

Vindaloo (no pictures before we ate it, this is in the to go container for breakfast the next morning )

The meal was well paced and the perfect amount for two people. Although once it settled, we were walking down Division to go eat more food!

Salt and Straw on Division

Following our divine dinner at Bollywood, we decided to walk several blocks up Division to Salt and Straw, an ice cream sot we had first seen when we went to Ava Gene's the previous night. The line was out the door, and it was rather slow. One thing worth noting: the line is for scoop customers only. One can skip the line and just buy a pint, which is what we eventually did. We settled on Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache. The place is known for their funky flavors, which are subject to change.

Ice Cream Pints

Ice Cream Pints

The ice cream was very good, if not a little too sweet. After our long day out, we piled back into the car and drove back over to the west side. It's worth noting that Division and the east side appear to be home to a lot more highly rated restaurants than the west side.

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 22, 2015 at 12:06 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Great report! Always glad to see an outsider's perspective of Portland.

We love Kachka and Bollywood Theater!

Next time you're in town, let me know, happy to take you to a few of the lesser known but still delicious spots
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Great report! Always glad to see an outsider's perspective of Portland.

We love Kachka and Bollywood Theater!

Next time you're in town, let me know, happy to take you to a few of the lesser known but still delicious spots
Thank you!

For Bollywood Theater, I actually am in good touch with the purveyor of the pepper there... just a tidbit.

I'll let you know! It's close for me (SFO) and a great use of Avios!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Love Portland, and the food scene is crazy hot right now. We will be heading up there in a few short weeks for a long weekend. I didn't know there was an Ai Weiwei Exhibit. We will be checking that out.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:11 pm

Just a quick comment about Salt & Straw - they take their time with each customer and allow you to taste EVERY flavor they have available that day. Each taste is on a metal spoon - no throw away plastic.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Portland Day 3

Stumptown Coffee Roasters

Our Stumptown Coffee pilgrimage began after checking out of our Airbnb. Stumptown is one of the best coffee roasters on the West Coast, in my opinion. (Im sorry I cheated on you Blue Bottle )

Stumptown Coffee

Coffee Refrigerator

I saw the nitro cans, and decided to get one for the sake of trying it. The can is nitrogenated, so it gives it heavier foam on top when opened. This same technique is used in the production of Guinness. Of course I drank the whole can before the rest of our coffee was done brewing

I also decided to get a single shot of espresso of the Hair Bender bean blend.

Beans

One of the things Im particular about is my coffee. I like the foam of a macchiato, but I also like the creaminess of milk in a cappuccino. That day was when I was introduced to my new favorite coffee drink: the cortado, also known as a Gibraltar. One of my travel companions ordered it and after trying it, I decided to get one for myself. For those who are counting, Im up to three caffeinated drinks, more on that later ) Oh my goodness, this is a must get if you visit Stumptown in Portland. It was amazingly creamy yet intense.

Cortado

Espresso

And then, when I went to buy a half-pound of the Hair Bender blend, the genesis for our next Stumptown visit was created: we were told that only the main roastery and tasting room could sell half pounds ^. Of course, how could I turn down Stumptown beans to take home and a coffee tasting? .

Japanese Tea Garden

After seeing what the Chinese Garden had to offer, I was interested to see how the Japanese Garden stacked up. The Garden is enormous, and is about 15 minutes west from Downtown on Burnside Street. We arrived, and there was a short walk from the parking lot (where parking was near impossible) to the main gate. The scenery was gorgeous, and trees and foliage towered over us.

Walk to Gate

Signage

Scenery

We arrived at the gate, and paid the visitors fee. At this point, Im lost for words, because the way I can describe this garden wouldnt do it justice, but Ill try . All the plants were methodically trimmed and very fragrant.

Japanese Tea Garden

Japanese Maple

Rock Garden

We talked to one of the docents, and she mentioned that while the growing and trimming methods are strictly Japanese, the gardeners try to plant as many native plants as possible.

There was a small art gallery inside, and many of the pieces could be bought.

Art gallery

Art gallery

Art gallery

Art gallery

Art gallery

Exterior

The view from this point in the garden was breathtaking, and looked over the west side of Portland and downtown, as well as Mount Hood.

This picture doesnt do this justice it was so gorgeous

As we walked down the path, there was much more foliage, as well as some fountains.

Japanese Tea Garden

Fountain

Fountain

From there we decided to walk down to the second rock garden, and the path went through the forest and over a small pond.

Pond

Second rock garden

From there we wandered around, and came to a small courtyard that led to a tearoom.

Courtyard

Tearoom

Courtyard

From there a path led down to a large waterfall and koi pond, which was beautiful. The koi were very large and had spectacular patterns.

Waterfall

Koi Pond

Koi

Koi Pond

I have so many more photos I could put in here, but I think thats enough for now . By then it was about 1:30, so we decided to head over the bridge to OMSI.

Oregon Museum of Science and Industry

We only had so long here, so we ended up seeing only two exhibits: the science behind Ripleys Believe it Or Not and a retired submarine, the USS Blueblack. Unfortunately my phone died before we even went in, so I only have photo evidence of the exterior .

Exterior

Exterior

When we went to get our tickets, I was recognized and we were ultimately comped. Both exhibits were fascinating, although both were quite crowded. The submarine tour is not for those with claustrophobia, as it is quite cramped inside. The tour ended at three pm, which was perfect, since Stumptown Tasting Room closes at 4pm. From there we were headed off to get more coffee!

Stumptown Tasting Room (yes, more coffee)

This building is the main roastery for Stumptown, and before I dive into the coffee tasting experience, its worth noting that in order to get in, one must go through the parking lot. It is located in an unassuming black building on Salmon Street.

Exterior

Coffee Tasting

They gave us ten cups of coffee (two of each bean), which they brewed in a particular manner, and told us to taste the coffee, and we could use a spittoon if we didnt want to ingest too much caffeine. We were also instructed to slurp quickly and loudly to aerate the coffee to allow us to taste the full flavor and body of each blend. I particularly enjoyed number five, which was deeply roasted and intense (an Indonesian blend), and number three, which was fruity and acidic (a Costa Rican blend). The employees were very nice, and answered all of our questions. After the tasting, we picked up our coffee and were on our way to Kachka!

Kachka

We had a 4:30 reservation (there was nothing available between 4:30 and 9:15, and we still had to make our flight. Before I continue, I just want to say how much I love the personality of this restaurant. Here are a couple one-liner gems from their website and menu:

If you are running late, please dont hesitate to call us. Lenin waits for no one!

Fill everyones cup with the beverage of their choice (like vodka, or maybe vodka)

As if a calzone and a crunchwrap had a lovechild

These almond-shaped cookies may change your life

Sources says these pancakes are Armenian, but Lenin insists theyre Soviet

Needless to say, I was quite looking forward to this meal .

Like Ava Genes and Bollywood Theater, we decided to get a large selection of dishes to share. We also ordered some sparkling water. A note on that: they carry two types, one of which they say is salty, and one of which they say is mineral-tasting. We had the latter, and if thats not the salty one, Im scared to see what the other one is. We didnt finish the bottle.

Sparkling water

First arrived the sorrel soup, which is an acquired taste, and I havent acquired it yet!

Sorrel soup

Then came the house-cured salmon roe, which was delicious.

Salmon roe

We also ordered some bread, which isnt pictured, and the darker of the two was fantastic. It was deeply caramelized, has molasses notes, and was light without seeming airy. Our waiter informed us its Lithuanian, and they order par-baked loaves from across the Atlantic.

Also a note on the service: the waiters and waitresses and managers were all extremely polite and helpful.

After the bread came the trout salad with cucumber, carroway seeds, and crumbled rye bread, which was fantastic, although a tad bitter.

Cured trout salad (pardon the gratuitous Instagram filter)

Then came the Kachapuri, the calzone-crunchwrap lovechild.

Kachapuri

Oh my goodness, this was out of this world delicious and rich. The pastry and cheese melted in my mouth.

Then we had the Tvorog Vareniki, or farmers cheese dumplings. They were served swimming in butter and exploded with flavor.

Tvorog Vareniki

After that came the Siberian Pelmini, a dumpling filled with beef, pork and veal. They also arrived swimming in butter .

Siberian Pelmini

And then we had the almond cookies. On the menu they are literally not described, so all I can tell you is that they were delicious.

Almond cookies

We still had some time to spend before heading back to PDX, so we headed back to Powells Books, and of course, Stumptown Coffee.

Stumptown Coffee Roasters (see the theme here?)

Attached to this Stumptown is the Ace Hotel, so I ordered cortado number two and reclined reading the New York Times.

Cortado

Soon enough 7:30 rolled around, and we headed back towards PDX!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Review: Alaska Airlines Economy Class San Portland to San Francisco

(Preface: please pardon the picture quality and quantity for this installment. I had too much caffeine for my own good and my phone died sometime before arriving at PDX. So bear with me, even if this becomes like an eightblack TR Please look at the first review of Alaska on this report for some actual photos and comments about the flight )

We arrived at PDX on time, and I (thankfully) got TSA-pre, although my travel companions didn't . Because of this, we specifically went through the "D" concourse security, even though we would have to use the airside connector to the "A,B,C" concourse.

Before I delve into the TSA "experience," let me give a little background. I was traveling with family on this trip, and our family is known for being tricksters/competitive/grudge-holding, etc. So whilst at Powell's books, I stuck a sticker on my travel companion's back, and grabbed a second one for later. I told him about the first one in the rental car shuttle back to the terminal and faked "taking it off" while I put the second one on . I hoped the TSA agent would inform him of this .

So once again I get selected for a free massage and I leisurely walked the airside connector, chatting with a Delta pilot, seeing no sign of my companions. Shortly after arriving at the gate, there was a gate change to across the hall. No problem at all. I waited another twenty minutes (as boarding began) and finally both my companions reappeared. I tried to contain my laughter as my friends explained the debacle the sticker caused. Apparently it set the machine off, and then the officer said, "Sir, you have a sticker on your back."

Boarding went smoothly, and when I heard them calling AA elites, I decided to see if I could fool them with my AA Gold Citi card (I really have no status) and it worked . Gotta try that again on my next AS flight .

Plane at the gate

Alaska 383
San Francisco (SFO) - Portland (PDX)
Thursday, June 18
Depart: 9:35PM, actual 10:05PM
Arrive: 11:36PM, actual 11:50PM
Duration: 1hr 44min
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800
Seat: assigned 7C (Economy), took 7D

Boarding was uneventful, except that I took an aisle seat on the wrong side of the aircraft, although the person in my seat didn't mind and sat in the "C" side seat. I struck up a conversation with the person next to me about Japan (she lived there) and everything went smoothly.

At this point, we're running about ten minutes late waiting for some late pax, nothing we can't make up in the air, right? During the safety demonstration, the plane violently skidded backwards into the alley, causing a flight attendant to stumble. The captain came on the PA, and "the pushback operator got a little excited while putting the cart from drive into neutral..." "[some type of] pin is broken, so we're going to get that fixed and we'll be wheels up in thirty minutes."

Once we were airborne, the flight was uneventful. I drained a can of diet coke with lime (more caffeine) and read one of the many books we bought at Powell's. Landed on time but arrived at the gate thirty minutes late.

We parked next to two Cathay Pacific 777-300ER in a row (CX 873 and 893).

Cathay Heavies

We made our way out of the terminal and ran after the SkyPark shuttle. The front of the international terminal was lit in blue and gold celebrating the Warriors' victory! ^

Go Warriors!

We ended up getting home around 12:45am, at which point I booked another trip, more details in the works after my upcoming Chicago TR...

Thank you everyone for making it this far!

Last edited by lesamuel; Jun 29, 2015 at 3:45 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Cool, TR. Thanks for sharing ^
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lesamuel
Thank you!

For Bollywood Theater, I actually am in good touch with the purveyor of the pepper there... just a tidbit.

I'll let you know! It's close for me (SFO) and a great use of Avios!
Good to know!

Not sure if you are into beer but that scene has been in Portland a while and there's a new wave of breweries opening up that are doing some great stuff (Baerlic, The Commons, Ecliptic). Definitely let me know next time you're in town.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Good to know!

Not sure if you are into beer but that scene has been in Portland a while and there's a new wave of breweries opening up that are doing some great stuff (Baerlic, The Commons, Ecliptic). Definitely let me know next time you're in town.
Haha, for sure!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.