Search

Private Barge Cruise in the South of France via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
Bummer about your MUC-LAX flight. With it being a flagship route, one might think that they'll work harder to provide better food/service. Since it was IRROPS, did you get rebooked into a full revenue fare bucket, or did they create O-space for you?
IF it's a flagship route then LH wouldn't having a A340 on it..
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Originally Posted by Purim
I am not arguing with you, but if it is a flagship route, why the knackered A346? It is the LH LAX-MUC-LAX service that drove me to BA.
Well I guess for logistical reasons Lufthansa doesn't base any A380s or 747s in Munich. But I'd still consider their California routes to be pretty high profile (especially since they don't open up any redemption space).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Disappointing last flight, hard to believe that is LH.

Once again, wonderful TR! Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Well I guess for logistical reasons Lufthansa doesn't base any A380s or 747s in Munich. But I'd still consider their California routes to be pretty high profile (especially since they don't open up any redemption space).
Then take the 747 on the FRA-DEN route and use it on MUC-LAX if it's a premium route, put your best planes on those routes... Also was it a crew issue, catering issue or aircraft limitation that caused all the problems on SFO777 flight?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Purim
I am not arguing with you, but if it is a flagship route, why the knackered A346? It is the LH LAX-MUC-LAX service that drove me to BA.
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
LH only uses A330s and A340s at MUC... so that's all that is available.

Pretty sure MUC can't handle the A380, maybe not even 747s. But in the end, its probably an economic decision as MUC is a secondary hub and much smaller than FRA.

Originally Posted by UAL250
Disappointing last flight, hard to believe that is LH.
Once again, wonderful TR! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks UAL250. Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. Then again, we only have ourselves (or rather Mrs. SFO ) to blame for not continuing on the FRA the night before and flying ex-FRA.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks UAL250. Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. Then again, we only have ourselves (or rather Mrs. SFO ) to blame for not continuing on the FRA the night before and flying ex-FRA.
I feel like we see one or two of the "Mrs. knows best" every TR-you think she'd let you make the travel decisions by this point It definitely makes it more entertaining for us though
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wonderful report Sir!

Had a similar experience on a barge in south of France a couple of years ago, though it was a friend of mine's so service and food was not on par with what you had. Definitely a relaxing way to spend a day!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Pretty sure MUC can't handle the A380, maybe not even 747s.
Sorry to correct you, but MUC CAN handle A380. EK fly it there from DXB. Whether that would automatically mean that MUC can also handle a 747, I don't know.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Nice report.

Don't LH always serve asparagus and boiled ham in F during asparagus season, no matter who the chef? Previously struck me as weird too.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:40 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
Originally Posted by techie
Sorry to correct you, but MUC CAN handle A380. EK fly it there from DXB. Whether that would automatically mean that MUC can also handle a 747, I don't know.
TG is flying to BKK with 744 (still).

The airport can fully handle both types. I am not an expert, but as said before, only A330 and A340 based in MUC so for crew logistical reasons no LH A380 and 747.

To be fair, Harald Wohlfahrt is a very well know German chef (as mentioned in LH menue, holding three Michelin Stars for many years). Shame the meals did not come out according to his abilities.

Thanks for a wonderful trip report!!!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:41 am
mag

Programs: LH M&M, FTL / *S
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Nice report.

Don't LH always serve asparagus and boiled ham in F during asparagus season, no matter who the chef? Previously struck me as weird too.
Asparagus and boiled ham with Béchamel Sauce is a traditional German dish (during asparagus season).
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Also, the A300-600 ST (Super Transporter) or "Beluga" as they are known are used to ferry various Airbus parts around the European manufacturing and final assembly lines.

In the video here
you can see it disgorging the fuselage and wings of a Vietnamese A350 at the Tolouse FAL.

They are getting a bit long in the tooth now so will shortly be replaced with some A330 ST

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...opment-406160/
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:54 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DTS
The next time you're stranded in MUC, try 'Airbräu'. An authentic Bavarian restaurant with own brewery on the airport grounds. Or simply go to Fürstenfeldbruck.
Nice trip - except for the finish perhaps. The catering looked suspect.

I also recommend Airbräu - it's pretty good and if you get to sit outside on the largish deck, all the better. Travel safe.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Wow, another great report! You're going to have to do a mighty penance, though, after all that wonderful food. Somehow I'm betting you've no regrets . . . .
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:24 pm

Looks up price for Allouette. Decides not to show dear wife this trip report...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.