Private Barge Cruise in the South of France via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I am confused.
According to Google Maps, Pézenas is to the northeast of Beziers. However, Carcassonne is due west of Beziers. I do not see any canal going from Pézenas to Carcassonne...
LOL. That's where the van comes in. The barge moves so slowly that we can backtrack in the van and get home for happy hour.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. That's where the van comes in. The barge moves so slowly that we can backtrack in the van and get home for happy hour.
But why would you go to Pézenas by van on the other side of Beziers? Why not get on the boat ASAP and go from Beziers straight to Colombiers and Ensérune?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
But why would you go to Pézenas by van on the other side of Beziers? Why not get on the boat ASAP and go from Beziers straight to Colombiers and Ensérune?
Good question to which I have no answer. We mostly ate and drank and just asked how long is the drive?
Didn't really care about the direction since everything is so close anyway.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The barge cruise looks fantastic, and quite luxurious with a private chef and all. Did you hang out with the crew as well or did they just stay in their own quarters? I'm guessing a cruise like that won't come cheap.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Years ago we rented a house next to the Midi not far from Narbonne for a week in early spring. As it was really before the season, there were only a couple of hotel/barges that went past, but it looked great then and even better now.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
The barge is 35m so it's plenty long enough. I didn't se the crew quarters but I think we probably had better digs.
Hope so, otherwise I will be part of the crew
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:11 pm

That crab, steak frites, fromage, rhubarb/ginger souffle might be my dream meal! Wow. Looks like a lovely, relaxing way to travel. I may not have considered it before. Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Day 4 on the Canal du Midi was another beautiful sunny day with perfect +22/72 temps.

Another boat that has seen better days.

As we dock and get ready for this morning's tour.

Another sad one.

But an owner with a sense of humour.

Spending quality time together, 2015 style.

This morning, we're off to the fascinating medieval town of Minerve, set on a plateau atop the gorge of the River Cesse, which has pretty much dried up, or at least in summer.

Potty time.

Uh, maybe not.

Now here's a café with a view.

After a glass of wine, we're on the road back home.

And the wonderful Ang with the now familiar welcome back beverage.

Another wonderful lunch from Chef Joe.

As we head up the canal and more locks.

And shops along the way.

Whoa Nellie!

Many of the locks have their own lock dogs that greet the barges.

Yikes, this is getting weird.

Happy hour and dinner after an afternoon of cruising the canal.

The foie gras was simply the best I have ever tasted.

The sensational John Dory.

Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LH4116
The barge cruise looks fantastic, and quite luxurious with a private chef and all. Did you hang out with the crew as well or did they just stay in their own quarters? I'm guessing a cruise like that won't come cheap.
Thank you LH4116. We really didn't hang out with the crew much as they were pretty busy the entire day, especially since the barge was provisioned daily with fresh pastries and later food for the kitchen.

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Years ago we rented a house next to the Midi not far from Narbonne for a week in early spring. As it was really before the season, there were only a couple of hotel/barges that went past, but it looked great then and even better now.
Thanks Gardyloo. It was a wonderful experience in a beautiful part of France.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hope so, otherwise I will be part of the crew
LOL. Indeed. Years ago, it might have been a lot of fun to be a crew member for a season on something like this.

Originally Posted by nemme99
That crab, steak frites, fromage, rhubarb/ginger souffle might be my dream meal! Wow. Looks like a lovely, relaxing way to travel. I may not have considered it before. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much nemm99. The meals were simply out of this world. But OMG, one can only take so much eating and drinking!!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Compared to Vietnam the toilet looks superb
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:05 am
Suspended

We really didn't hang out with the crew much as they were pretty busy the entire day, especially since the barge was provisioned daily with fresh pastries and later food for the kitchen.
I assume the food was sourced locally (fresh) every day?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Brings back memories of a two week trip (driving, not barging) I took in the mid 90's that included stops in Carcassonne and Minerve. I barely recognize Carcassonne, but Minerve looks exactly the same.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The meals were simply out of this world. But OMG, one can only take so much eating and drinking!!
indeed the 'problem' with luxury all-inclusive rates including multi-course meals (3+ courses for both lunch and dinner) and alcohol

i had pretty good experience with this at The Lodge in Verbier Switzerland a few years ago

i cant imagine doing a Relais & Chateaux with 2/3 michelin star ~10 course for dinner where they also include breakfast and lunch, would have to skip some
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat.
Thanks for the excellent TP with great photos. What is the degree of freedom you experienced? Food choices seem set (no problem, it all looks fabulous) but food allergies or basic dislikes? Drinks? BYOB - photos show an alarming absence of champagne (ok, that is what LH F is for).The barge seems perfect for a Campari Soda. There is a well stocked bar with plenty of digestifs and whatnot? Breakfast in bed or you have to surface for food? Itineraries well oiled, or you can stop off at interesting villages/points of interest you see on the way? It all looks jolly enjoyable....
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:12 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Have so enjoyed this TR. Have always wanted to do a barge on the Canal du Midi and now will simply have to! Know this part of the world reasonably well, but have not encountered Minerve. A delightful place to look out for the next time we are down there.

Thanks again, SFO777

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.