Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hanami & good eats in Kansai/Tokyo; Camera Purchase; AA137/138 J; Wing F, JL Sakura F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hanami & good eats in Kansai/Tokyo; Camera Purchase; AA137/138 J; Wing F, JL Sakura F

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

My previous trip reports:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...dventures.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ga-pixels.html

Image above: Panorama of Ueon Park, Tokyo on a rainy day

The Hanami (flower watching) trip to Japan is a portion of a longer itinerary that involved Hong Kong, and China. This report will focus on the Japan portion and briefly touch on AA137/138 J & the lounges in HKG & NRT.

Image of map above: Osaka as base, day trips to places within Kansai

A good way to tour Japan is by train. The best way to do train is to get a JR Rail Pass (7 days or 14 days). The Japan visit is part of a larger itinerary that includes: Hong Kong, China, the Kansai region and Tokyo. We flew to Osaka from Shanghai, and used Osaka as base for day trips to various points of interest within Kansai. As noted from the map, we went by train to Kyoto, Kobe, Himeji, Nara and Inari (close to Kyoto). After Osaka, we moved on to Tokyo, by Shinkansen. After a few days in Tokyo, we flew home via Hong Kong and Dallas. Yeap, we always prefer the loooong way home. We flew the AA137 (DFW-HKG) and A138 (HKG-DFW) in J.

Image above: Shinkansen

As a side note: our flight arrived at KIX past midnight (no public transportation; taxi yes). I knew that ahead of time and had consulted FT experts in the Japan Forum for advice (many thanks).

Here was my experience: While in PVG at JL check in counter, I requested to be met at arrival gate. JL agent did meet us with my name on a card. JL lined up several shuttle buses to handle several late flights (as it turned out). Immigration was less than 1 minute. JL agents herded pax to various buses according to the pax’s destinations. The process was very well drilled and professional. Tip hat to JL. Our bus dropped us off in Namba. From there a short taxi ride to Tennoji. The point is, should your flight be late and past midnight, JL would provide free shuttle bus to Namba and Osaka Station (maybe other places as well).

Up Next: Part 2, Osaka and Kyoto
Old May 10, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Part 2: Osaka & Kyoto

OSAKA

We picked the tallest hotel in Japan, the Osaka Marriott Miyako as our base. This hotel is relative new and is part of the Tennoji train station complex, in the tallest building in Japan, named Abeno Harukas. The location is unbeatable. The JR Airport Express (LTD EXP Haruka) train stops here to/from KIX. The trip takes 31 minutes. The same train goes to Kyoto Station. By staying here, it is extremely convenient to go anywhere by train!

Our upgraded room was on the 38th floor, with floor to ceiling windows. Panoramic view of the city was a real treat. The executive lounge was large and well appointed. Daily breakfast was excellent in both food offering as well as service. Eggs cooked to order. Got a real kick out of the most hi-tech toilet we've seen in Japan! This is one gorgeous hotel and highly recommend. Being part of the train station, it is close to restaurants and various services and shops.

Image above: Osaka Marriott Miyako

Image above: Osaka Marriott Miyako

Image above: Executive lounge in Osaka Marriott Miyako

Image above: View from our room

We were there the last week of March. Normally it would be right at the sweet spot for Hanami. As it was, this year it was slightly early to see the plum (normally blooms earlier than cherry) and cherry at full bloom. Every day here in Kansai, the sun was bright and the air was crisp, at about 50F. Couldn't ask for better weather! Walking around the Osaka Castle was a delight.

Image above: Osaka Castle

Image above: Couple exiting Osaka Castle

KYOTO

Image above: Arishiyama Bamboo Grove

We've been here a few times in recent years, in different seasons. We targeted this Spring visit to be for the "Hanami". From the local cherry blossom forecast during our time in Osaka, we knew we would be 5 to 6 days too early for the first stage of bloom. Nonetheless, we headed out to enjoy the sights. We came to Kyoto on 2 separate days.

The major sights in Kyoto are spread out to the north-west, the north, north-east and south-east. They are best covered by train and by bus. For the independent travelers like us, we picked up a day-pass for the bus (500 JPY) in case we need to use it and we did.

Early morning, we took the LTD EXP Haruka from Tennoji to Kyoto. We arrived in 42 minutes. First day, we decided to head out to Arishiyama by JR train. We hiked the trails among the bamboo grove and checked some shrines nearby.

At almost any time of the year, Kyoto would be wall-to-wall with tourists. In the Spring and Fall, that includes a large number of Japanese nationals in additional to all the foreigners. You could only walk shoulder to shoulder through the paths. So, that's the excuse that I didn't have any shots of the bamboo grove paths without people (except when I aimed up).

Image above: Wall-to-wall tourist in Kyoto

Combining the 2 days of touring, we covered the entire city by bus and on foot.

Image above: Point the lens up – Arishiyama bamboo grove

Every time you turned around, you saw people taking selfies.

Image above: She was very serious about this selfie shot!

Image above: Kinkakuji, the Golden Pavilion

Images above: Kimono-clad ladies flooded Kyoto

Image above: Kiyomizu-dera Shrine

Image above: Kiyomizu-dera Shrine

No visit to Kyoto is complete without a visit (two for us) to the Kyoto Ramen Koji (aka Ramen Alley). It is not an alley at all. In fact, it is a recreated alley-look-alike atmosphere found on the 10th floor inside the Kyoto Train Station building. Soup based ramen from many parts of Japan are represented here. Ramen connoisseurs, you WILL find your “fix” here.

The commercial genius who developed this “alley” relocated branch restaurants of some original and famous ramen restaurants from other parts of Japan. Each restaurant claims that it faithful keeps its original recipe. First night, did tried the grilled pork ramen from Kitakata of Fukushima, the Bannai shokudo ramen. Fantastic! On the second night we tried the Tokushima ramen in Ramen Taido. The meal came with 7 raw eggs! We saw a group of young Japanese eat all the yoke and left the “egg white”. Hope they were not having a blood test next morning. This ramen was also excellent!

Both nights, the queues were 10 to 15 people long in every shop (except the hamburger joint). The ritual for ordering ramen was simplified with picture-priced menu. Put your money in the kiosk machine to order, and hand the receipt to a staff who in turn takes it to the kitchen.

Image above: Kyoto Ramen Koji

Up Next: Part 3, Himeji, Kobe, Nara and Inari
Old May 10, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Part 3: Himeji, Kobe, Nara and Inari

HIMEJI

Yeap! We timed our visit to the Himeji Castle on this grand opening day, after a 5-year face lift operation.

Image above: The grand opening sign in the Himeji Station

As soon as we stepped outside the train station, the shiny and white Shirasagi Jo stood proudly at a distance. We joined thousands of visitors for this festive event.

Image above: White Shirasagi Jo at a distance

The castle retains its original structure since inception, without any damage by war, earthquake or storm. But the usual wear/tear throughout the years was enough to call for renovation. It looked absolutely stunning! Too bad the cherry blossoms were only spotted on a few trees. The few that we did see, they were gorgeous!

Needless to say there was a long queue at the ticket booths. Tour groups went to one, and individual tourist went to the other. All very orderly.
Once inside the castle grounds, there was an even longer queue to get inside the castle. Once inside the castle, you had to carry your own shoes and walk around with your socks on! We did a complete tour of the inside, all the way up quite a few floors.

Image above: Himeji Castle

We had lunch here in Himeji. Found a ramen shop in an alley next to the station. Again we enjoyed another bowl of ramen, with gyoza. By mid-afternoon, we took off by train to Kobe.

Image above: Ramen shop in alley, Himeji

Image above: Ramen and gyoza, Himeji

KOBE

We went to the waterfront in Kobe. We were reminded of the 1995 “Great Hanshin” earthquake.

Image above: Kobe, reminder of the great earthquake

Image above: Kobe, the re-built waterfront

Image above: Kobe, Hotel Okura near waterfront

Image above: Kobe waterfront

Image above: Good eats in Kobe

Returned to Tennoji at night and took a walk around the station area. Lots of people were in and around the station. Most restaurants were crowded with diners.

NARA

Day trip to Nara couldn’t be easier. Take the JR Yamatoji Line Regional Rapid Service, and in 38 minutes you have arrived!
To our disappointment, there was hardly any flower to be found in Nara.

Image above: Nara, but no flowers

Image above: Todaiji

Image above: Sorry, the name of this structure escapes me! Anyone?

Image above: Mother and child

Image above: OK, I did see this!
We decided we might as well go to Fushimi Inari Shrine from here. The JR Local Line took 69 minutes for this rather short (distance wise) trip.

INARI (FUSHIMI INARI SHRINE)

I found this shrine interesting primarily due to the numerous (some says thousands) torii gates that line the hill side. It is easy access from Kyoto, only 1 station away from Kyoto Station, I think.

Image above: Inari, the main gate

Image above: Kimono-clad ladies, Inari

Image above: Inari shrine

Image above: Torii gates in Inari

Best way to return to Osaka was by train via Kyoto. In Kyoto, transferred to the Kansai Airport Express.

Up Next: Part 4, Transit Osaka to Tokyo, and show time in Tokyo
Old May 10, 2015, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Part 4: Transit Osaka to Tokyo and show time in Tokyo

FROM OSAKA TO TOKYO

The trip from Tennoji Station (in Osaka) to Tokyo Station took about 220 minutes. The Limited Express Kuroshio and Shinkansen Hikari together covered a distance of 567 km. En route, we saw rain and heavy clouds. Despite a reserved window seat on the LEFT, my hope of sighting Mount Fuji was all but shattered! Again!

Image above: Train travel, on Osaka-Tokyo Shinkansen

Image above: Countryside view from train

TOKYO

Tokyo at last. A short walk away from Tokyo Station was our hotel (Courtyard Tokyo Station). Dropped off the bags and headed out to Ueno Park.

Somehow Tokyo must have had warmer weather than in Kansai, the flowers here were in peak condition when we arrived. Some says there are 1,000 trees in Ueno Park (I didn’t count them but believed them).

Image above: Ueno Park - Chasing cherry blossoms in the rain!

We braved the rain without an umbrella and hustled out of the Ueno train station toward the park and found thousands of crazy folks like us! They had umbrellas though, maybe they weren’t so crazy.

Image above: Ueno Park

CAMERA & LENS PURCHASE IN SHINJUKU

In the past, buying Japanese made cameras in Japan was not a good deal, until recently. Currency exchange rate (US$ vs JPY), pricing differential (USA vs Japan) and discount via duty free and VISA credit card discount offer have all made it worthwhile to buy in Japan. Of course, if I bought from Amazon, I’d pay California sales taxes plus shipping (maybe free shipping).
Note that camera body carries 1 year warranty in Japan only; lenses have international warranty for 5 years, at least for Nikon.

After wrapping up at Ueno Park, we headed over to Shinjuku by JR Yamanote Line. We stopped by a couple of big camera stores to check out a particular model of Nikon DSLR and lenses. Mostly window shopping first, comparing prices with the inclusion of duty free (8%) and in some cases Visa Credit Card discount (6%). Long story short, I made my purchase at a smaller shop on the third floor of an obscured building. All of the 4 salesmen were busy with customers. Only 1 guy seemed to speak a bit of English. Good thing I knew what I wanted. I waited about 10 minutes before a sales person was free to serve me. 10 more minutes later, I was all set to go with my new purchase. This shop did not offer VISA discount, but the net price was cheaper than 2 shops that did offer!

Next day, we were blessed with fantastic weather. So we went to Shinjuku Gyoen to view cherry blossoms. I carried my brand new toy with me of course. Here in Shinjuku Gyoen, the show got even better than Ueno Park. Not disappointed!

Image above: Shinjuku Gyoen

Next evening at twilight, after enjoying a long lunch and coffee with some local friends, we made it over to the Megurogawa and were greeted by a profusion of blossoms on both banks of the river.

Image above: Megurogawa collage

Image above: Megurogawa

Image above: Good eats in Tokyo

Image above: Good eats in Tokyo

Image above: The damage in a sushi restuarant

A few words about AA137/138 and 3 airport lounges
The TPAC flights were on AA. DFW-HKG on AA137, and the return was AA138. Both were revenue tickets with SWU UG’s. Fortunately got UG’d both 2 pax at the time of booking (prior to the recent rounds of YYZ-HKG fare war). I didn’t notice that much difference in on-board services on AA137 and AA138. Few images from AA137 are shown below:

Image above: AA137 DFW-HKG, in J cabin

Image above: AA137 HKG-DFW, in J cabin. Catering was good. The beef filet was fine, albeit slightly medium. I prefer med-rare. But hey this was airline food!

LOUNGES

There were 3 airport lounges worthy of note: CX Wing F in HKG; JL Sakura F in NRT and QF/BA Lounge in HKG. Some photos below:

Image above: WING First Class Lounge in HKG. The food is always consistent and service top notch.

Image above: Sakura First Class Lounge in NRT. I enjoyed the sushi bar when it was opened. The satellite F lounge does not have sushi bar.

Image above: Sakura First Class Lounge in NRT

Image above: QF/BA Lounge in HKG. This was my first visit to this lounge. Quite impressive with the layout and the openess. I was there early morning, and did not check out in detail what catering was served. We stayed briefly before proceeded to the CX Wing F. I did notice a very nice bar. Next time, I will try out the Neil Perry's Spice Temple inspired dishes.

In conclusion: This trip to Kansai and Tokyo was an enjoyable one, despite some minor setback in timing (with respect to cherry blossoms).
If you have not done one of these trips yet, I highly recommend. If you go, do book your hotels early. They can get sold out or be extremely expensive!

Thank you for reading. Appreciate your comments.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Enjoyed that, Tokyo definitely on my bucket list - looks amazing, super pics too, that camera was worth purchasing 👍
Old May 11, 2015, 4:02 pm

May I ask what camera you're using? The picture quality is absolutely amazing.

Edit: Just quickly went through your two other TRs. ...I have to say, you have the best TRs by far that I've ever seen here. There are maybe 1-2 members who come somewhat close to capturing what you capture on your camera. Wow.

Last edited by Strawboy1230; May 11, 2015 at 4:14 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 5:43 pm

Great trip report and photos of Cherry Blossom!
Old May 12, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike&co
Enjoyed that, Tokyo definitely on my bucket list - looks amazing, super pics too, that camera was worth purchasing 👍
Thanks. Tokyo wouldn't disappoint! Any season, except July and August when it is super hot and humid.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
May I ask what camera you're using? The picture quality is absolutely amazing.
Thank you for reading. For the most part, I captured various images using 3 devices (before my new gear). Indoor, I used my mobile phone camera (Samsung GS4). Also used it for couple of the panoramas (you’d be surprised). To capture food and inside planes and trains, I used my mobile, P&S or DSLR. My P&S is very generic Nikon, a 16 MP device, and my “old” DSLR is Nikon D90. My new gear is Nikon D750.
Originally Posted by Strawboy1230
Edit: Just quickly went through your two other TRs. ...I have to say, you have the best TRs by far that I've ever seen here. There are maybe 1-2 members who come somewhat close to capturing what you capture on your camera. Wow.
FT Trip Report Forum is an amazing community of great trip report writers, and many are very well versed in photography as well. Many do have top gears such as D800 & D800E. Thank you for your compliment!
Old May 12, 2015, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Great trip report and photos of Cherry Blossom!
Thank you.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:42 am

Thanks, allset2travel, for pointing me to your trip report also.

I have enjoyed viewing your beautiful photos of the blossoms and the food

Have diarised to book hotel early and rail passes. We will be there for a week, and your itin was helpful to plan the train trip.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta
Stefano,
There are a few people who take good to very good pictures,but your pictures
look professional in quality. With your photos I did not skim thru the pics,
because the composure and framing was excellent. Quite enjoyable!!

Thanks for the Trip.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Fascinating TR and I loved the pictures too - I liked the variation in the presentation as well as the quality.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:38 am

Forgot to mention in the earlier post that we have been watching a documentary on the BBC here in London about Japan (Earth program) and the 1st of 3 episodes showed spring blossoms. We look forward to next Easter. Hope to see some blossoms then.

Also, maybe a silly question - but how did you get all the photos into one square? Sorry, I am not technical, but was there a software to do that, or something?

Your trip report on Japan was the 3rd one I have read in the last few months, so am collecting the good bits from each for our trip next Easter. I have enjoyed reading them all and viewing the lovely photos.

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to write and post photos.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A1pax
Thanks, allset2travel, for pointing me to your trip report also.

I have enjoyed viewing your beautiful photos of the blossoms and the food

Have diarised to book hotel early and rail passes. We will be there for a week, and your itin was helpful to plan the train trip.
Sorry for the late reply. Please see next post. Posting from my mobile is a bit of challenge.

Last edited by allset2travel; Jun 17, 2015 at 3:33 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.