FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hanami & good eats in Kansai/Tokyo; Camera Purchase; AA137/138 J; Wing F, JL Sakura F
Old May 10, 2015, 6:18 pm
allset2travel

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Hanami & good eats in Kansai/Tokyo; Camera Purchase; AA137/138 J; Wing F, JL Sakura F

My previous trip reports:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...dventures.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ga-pixels.html

Image above: Panorama of Ueon Park, Tokyo on a rainy day

The Hanami (flower watching) trip to Japan is a portion of a longer itinerary that involved Hong Kong, and China. This report will focus on the Japan portion and briefly touch on AA137/138 J & the lounges in HKG & NRT.

Image of map above: Osaka as base, day trips to places within Kansai

A good way to tour Japan is by train. The best way to do train is to get a JR Rail Pass (7 days or 14 days). The Japan visit is part of a larger itinerary that includes: Hong Kong, China, the Kansai region and Tokyo. We flew to Osaka from Shanghai, and used Osaka as base for day trips to various points of interest within Kansai. As noted from the map, we went by train to Kyoto, Kobe, Himeji, Nara and Inari (close to Kyoto). After Osaka, we moved on to Tokyo, by Shinkansen. After a few days in Tokyo, we flew home via Hong Kong and Dallas. Yeap, we always prefer the loooong way home. We flew the AA137 (DFW-HKG) and A138 (HKG-DFW) in J.

Image above: Shinkansen

As a side note: our flight arrived at KIX past midnight (no public transportation; taxi yes). I knew that ahead of time and had consulted FT experts in the Japan Forum for advice (many thanks).

Here was my experience: While in PVG at JL check in counter, I requested to be met at arrival gate. JL agent did meet us with my name on a card. JL lined up several shuttle buses to handle several late flights (as it turned out). Immigration was less than 1 minute. JL agents herded pax to various buses according to the pax’s destinations. The process was very well drilled and professional. Tip hat to JL. Our bus dropped us off in Namba. From there a short taxi ride to Tennoji. The point is, should your flight be late and past midnight, JL would provide free shuttle bus to Namba and Osaka Station (maybe other places as well).

Up Next: Part 2, Osaka and Kyoto