Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 9:23 pm

Tagging in. Thanks for sharing.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
London Heathrow to Doha (LHR-DOH) on Qatar Airways A380-800 in business

I was looking forward to this flight. Another new airline for me, and a new A380 operator - just Etihad A380 will be unflown after this flight. I was also looking forward to getting some sleep thanks to the lack of sleep the prior night and a medium length overnight transfer for tonight.

There was a short delay for boarding. Not long after I had gotten settled in my inner seat I was asked to switch to a window to allow people to sit together in the inner seats. I happily swapped.

Pillow and blanket on the seat. Menus on the side shelf. Water bottle and headphones are hidden in a cabinet on the aisle side of the seat. Pre-departure drinks offered - not just the usual bubbles, juice or water; they were also happy to serve up tea, coffee, or other beverages. Two champagnes were on offer - Billecart-Salmon and vintage Pol Roger rose.

Seats are in 1-2-1 layout angled away from the aisle. This is probably the most spacious seat in this configuration that I have experienced in business class, and better than some first class seats. There is plenty of width and length in the seat and surrounds, the side shelf is big, there are cubbies to put stuff within easy reach. The seat is also very comfortable.

Boarding was completed reasonably quickly. There was drink top-up and meal orders were taken. You select the items you want (so they are reserved for you), and the time you want to eat. A choice of hot or cold towel.

Pushback was only 10 minutes late but we had a long wait to cross the runway from T4. I could see at least half a dozen aircraft lined up in the sky on final descent, for quite some time - each landing aircraft being replaced in the queue by another speck in the distance. It took over 40 minutes to reach the runway being used for takeoffs, and we were finally away.

IFE was great - wide selection, easy to use handset, available from boarding (obviously with some interruptions initially for announcements, safety briefing, an explanation of wifi and phone services available, etc).

I had a wonderful flight. My glass was refilled seemingly the moment it was emptied. The meal was great. I watched one movie while dining and then fell asleep for a few hours. I was really disappointed the flight was only 6 hours or so.

We arrived a little late, just after midnight local time or who knows what time on my body clock which seems to have given up trying to maintain a circadian rhythm. My previous visits to Doha had been at the old airport where you always got a remote stand and a bus trip to and from the terminal. Always a bit odd in the middle of the night and high heat which I'm not used to. So it was nice to have gate at the terminal with airbridges. On disembarkation transit passengers were directed downstairs (instead of following the signs) and we emerged airside with no screening required.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qatar Airways
Business Class menu
London to Doha
May 2015

A la Carte Menu

Tempt your taste buds with our on-demand menu designed to your desire, in any order and at any time during your flight.

Palate pleaser

Indian spiced lobster
mango mayonnaise

Soup

Asparagus soup with goats curd
rapeseed oil

Appetisers

Classic Arabic mezze
hummus, tabouleh and feta cheese salad
served with Arabic bread

Smoked chicken terrine with pear chutney
crostini

Mains

Caramelized red onion and feta cheese tart
garlic and thyme potato wedges and red pepper pesto

Arabic spiced monkfish with sayadiah rice
cauliflower and chickpea stew, baby carrots and tahini yoghurt sauce

Pesto marinated chicken breast with salsa verde
rosemary roasted new potatoes and summer green vegetables

Cheese plate

Cheese selection served with crackers, grapes and chutney

Desserts

Seasonal fresh fruits

Cardamom panna cotta with rhubarb compote
mascarpone and ginger biscuit

Gourmet ice cream

Light options

Selection of hot savoury pastries

Falafel and hummus wrap
cucumber and mint yoghurt

Dishes are accompanied by your choice of condiments and assorted bakery selections

Beverage Menu

Refresh your palate with our exceptional selection of gourmet hot beverages and refreshments; all prepared for you to enjoy at your leisure. All beverages on this menu are non-alcoholic.

Luxury non-alcoholic bubbly

So Jennie is a delicious alcohol-free sparkling beverage created from grapes sourced in the French Champagne region.

Cold beverages

Coca Cola, Diet Coca Cola, Sprite, Diet Sprite and Fanta
Ginger ale, soda and tonic water
Barbican non-alcoholic beer
Apple, mango, orange, pineapple and tomato juices
Sparkling and still water

Hot beverages

Dilmah
Ceylon, Ceylon spice chai, Chamomile, Decaffeinated, Earl grey, Jasmine, English breakfast, Mint, Oolong, Rooibos, and Sencha green
American, Cappuccino, Decaffeinated, Espresso, Latte and Macchiato
Hot chocolate

WE1-DOH/JC-LDML2/CY2-V1

Wine & Beverage Menu

White Champagne

Billecart-Salmon, Brut, France
Billecart-Salmon is one of the most stylish boutique Champagne houses. Since being founded in 1818, it has remained one of the best kept secrets in wine.
Production is small. Francois Billecart prefers it that way. It allows him total control of a family business that has won the adoration of serious Champagne lovers.
The gorgeous winery and underground cellars are hidden in a small village surrounded by vines. Billecart uses some old techniques such as basket presses to gently extract the finest juice. Modern technology is used to create extra cold temperatures during fermentation, which extend the process, and adds freshness, elegance and delicacy to the wines.
There is an extra-long ageing period in the dark underground cellars, allowing the complex flavours to unfold.
Billecart-Salmon is pure luxury. We hope you will enjoy it.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect way to start your journey in style. It is also the classic aperitif and well suited to smoked salmon and other light seafood.

Rose Champagne

Pol Roger, Extra Cuvee de Reserve, 2006, France
Pol, as it is known to the legions of fans, is one of the great family-owned Champagne Houses. Decidedly French, but with a strong tie to the United Kingdom. After all, it was Sir Winston Churchill's favourite tipple.
Although a relatively small House Pol Roger has a global reputation for superb quality Champagnes. This is one of the finest wines, a vintage dated Rose, now over 8 years old. We're honoured to have secured this parcel of truly fine and mature wine for you.
Rose Champagne is one of the most difficult wines in the world to make. The art is in getting the color to be attractive, a delicate salmon pink, after such a long period ageing in bottle. Furthermore the wine should be fresh and vibrant, yet complex and layered.
In our extensive blind tasting the 2006 Pol Roger stood out, exuding all these qualities and more. The raspberry and strawberry flavours intertwined with a toasty aromatic and biscuit flavor impressed, and the length on the palate was stunning. We hope you enjoy one of the finest Rose Champagnes, served at 35,000 feet.
Food & wine pairing. Although the perfect aperitific, as Sir Winston would say, it suits all occasions.

Chardonnay

Bouchard Pere & Fils, Beaune du Chateau, 1er Cru, 2011, Burgundy, France
Bouchard Pere is one of the oldest Houses in Burgundy. They have produced and traded fine wines for 9 generations and over 180 years.
Over the centuries this House has slowly acquired some of the greatest terroirs of Burgundy, and today owns an astounding 130 hectares. This is some of the most valuable vineyard land in the world.
Chardonnay grapes are hand harvested from the low yielding 1er Cru vineyard and gently crushed at the winery. There is a long barrel ageing for 12 months, but only a small percentage of new oak so as not to overwhelm the beautiful fruit characters.
Aromatically the wine shows an elegance, a lemon zest, a youthful freshness, and a trace of minerality which weaves through the bright fresh floral tones. On the palate the lively crisp acidity lifts the citrus flavours, balances the medium body, and pushes the length even further. This is a beautifully balanced classic white Burgundy.
Food & wine pairing. A delight with richer dishes, pasta in a cream sauce, and delicious all by itself.

Sauvignon Blanc

Esk Valley, 2013, Marlborough, New Zealand
A recent gold medal at the Concours Mondial de Sauvignon in Bordeaux affirms Esk Valley as one of the world's notable producers of this classic grape.
The winey is located in Hawkes Bay, a premier region in the north island that has shot to fame in the last decade. The grapes are sourced in Marlborough, the warm and sunny capital of Sauvignon on the south island.
Picked at optimal maturity, the grapes are quickly pressed and then fermented at cold temperatures to enhance the vivacious and intense qualities. Dry, light and displaying gooseberry, grapefruit and tomato leaf flavors and a zesty acidity that refreshes. Delicious!
Food & wine pairing. Best enjoyed as an aperitif or with light and fresh seafood dishes.

Riesling

Fritz Haag, Brauneberger Juffer, Spatlese, 2012, Mosel Valley, Germany
Fritz Haag is one of the iconic producers in the Mosel, with a history dating back to 1605. Indeed, fine Mosel Rieslings were once the most expensive wines in the world and Haag was at the forefront.
Haag cultivates Riesling in the famous Brauneberger Juffer Sonnenuhr vineyard, which is planted on the precipitously step slopes of the Mosel valley.
A "Spatlese" is made from late harvest grapes that have achieved a high level of ripeness and so the wine is medium sweet. The nose bursts with aromas of peach, apricots with an excellent freshness, minerality and vibrancy. The palate is medium bodied, low in alcohol, elegant and delicate with enough acidity to counter-balance its sweetness. We hope you enjoy it.
Food & wine pairing. The medium sweet character of the wine will suit spicy Indian and Asian dishes, and fresh fruit plates.

Assemblage Merlot & Cabernet

Chateau Monbousquet, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classe, 2007, Bordeaux, France
Chateau Monbousquet is one of the new star properties of the Right Bank in Bordeaux. When Gerard Perse purchased the property in 1993 he made huge investments in the cellar and the vineyards, and totally revolutionized the quality.
The blend of 60% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Franc and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon is typical of many St Emilion estates. But the low yields, precision vineyard management and superstar winemaker Michel Rolland's touch in the cellar have created a superb wine.
The nose shows notes of fresh berries, espresso, milk chocolate and plum. The palate is elegant, with medium to full body, soft light tannins, and beautiful depths of flavor. Monbousquet always shows vivacity, intensity, and a new classic Bordeaux style.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect match with beef, lamb and hard cheese.

Shiraz

Fox Creek, 2013, McLaren Vale, Australia
The Fox Creek story began when a small group of six doctors and their wives decided to pursue a lifelong passion - creating wine from bare earth and sunshine. The earth was found at McLaren Vale, one of South Australia's premier wine regions, globally renowned for its Shiraz. The sunshine was free.
When Jim and Helen Watts bought the 32 hectare Fox Creek Vineyard property in 1984, they were advised against planting vines in the black clay soils that had previously been used for growing barley. Undeterred by the sceptics, they nurtured the young vines which bore fruit, exceptionally high quality fruit and lovingly converted it into supreme quality wine!
The luscious palate is rich and full showing ripe plum and black cherries, with mixed spice and roasted nuts rounding out the mid palate. The wine finishes with great balance and voluptuous grape tannins, and is characterised by a depth and intensity only achievable with old vine fruit. The fine French oak and plus tannins will integrate further as the wine ages.
Food & wine pairing. Perfect with red meats and hard cheeses. For those that like full bodied and soft red wines it's perfect sipping all by itself too.

Tempranillo

Taurus, Crianza, 2007, Toro, Spain
Toro is a wine region in Castilla y Leon, north-western Spain, known for its powerful red wines made from Tempranillo. It is named for the town of Toro, an ancient settlement located on the Duero River, east of the Portuguese border. The Spanish word toro means "bull", and while it is unclear precisely how the town's name came about, the bull is nonetheless a fitting symbol for robust, red Toro wines.
The palate has a great finish with ripe beefy and heady wine boasting robust. With a hints of saddle leather and spice, soft tannins and fine ripeness. The nose is powerful with aromas of black currants and other jammy dark fruit lead to a soft, easy to drink, full-bodied wine.
Food & wine pairing. The classic match is lamb, but the wine also complements beef and hard cheeses.

Sweet Gewurztraminer

Pfaffenheim, Cuvee Ste Catherine, Vendanges Tardives, 2009, Alsace, France
This is one of the most beautiful dessert wines imaginable.
It comes from Alsace in north-eastern France. Here, in the warm sunny autumn the Gewurztraminer grapes are left on the vine long after the normal harvest is completed. They build in sugar, develop heady flavours and luscious qualities. And then when they are at perfect maturity for a Late Harvest wine they are picked by hand and slowly fermented in the winery.
Gewurztraminer naturally produces full bodied and highly aromatic wines with notes of red roses, lychee, and hints of honey. But when left on the vine and picked late these exotic aromas are enhanced further, emphasizing the honeyed notes, and adding orange marmalade and apricot flavours. Stunningly delicious.
This sweet wine is a fine example of all the hallmarks that represent quality in wine. It shows intense aromatics, depth and complexity on the nose, concentration of flavour, balance and elegance, and a long lingering finish.
Food & wine pairing. The quintessential dessert wine.

Tawny Port

Kopke, Colhetta, 1974, Douro Valley, Portugal
We are delighted to have discovered a parcel of extremely fine Tawny Port from the very oldest Port House, named Kopke.
Kopke is the epitome of a traditional Port producer. It was established in 1638 in the upper Duoro valley amidst the steep terraced vineyards in this arid and rugged countryside. Some of these old producers keep stocks of very old Port for release many years later.
This Port is nearly forty years old. It's a single vintage tawny, from 1974. For almost four decades it has aged in small oak casks. Over the years the oxygenation of the wine has turned it into a gorgeous pale reddish brown color and the tannins have all but dissipated, creating a sensationally smooth texture.
The nose shows notes of toffee and dried fruits, along with a slightly nutty aroma. The palate is medium sweet, ultra smooth and filled with the same subtle yet powerful flavors that are found on the nose. The finish is long and complex, a hallmark of a very fine wine.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect wine to enjoy with a selection of cheese or sip by itself after a meal.

Cocktails & Spirits

Classics

Bloody Mary
Cuba Libre
Dry Martini
Champagne Cocktail
Spritzer
Screwdriver
Black Russian

Whisky

Chivas Regal 12-yrs old
Glenfiddich 15-yrs old
Jack Daniel's

Beer

Amstel Light
Corona Extra
Guinness
Heineken

Aperitifs

Bombay Sapphire
Campari
Martini Dry
Martini Rosso

Digestifs

Baileys
Bacardi
Belvedere Pure
Camus XO Elegance
Cointreau
Crème de Cassis
Kahlua
Patron Reposado

BC - 01-MAY-2015-IN
Old May 10, 2015, 10:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Doha transit

I had a medium long transit, just over 8 hours between scheduled arrival and scheduled departure. I'm not sure if I was eligible for transit accommodation offered by Qatar Airways - while the transit time was long enough, and I was in a premium cabin, I don't know if they copy Emirates rule that accommodation is not provided if a transit under 8 hours is on their schedule (whether or not available). In my case I could have taken a later flight from London to bring the transit under 8 hours, but I chose not to in order to fly the A380. I did get asked about transit accommodation at check in at DFW, but there was some odd message which the agent didn't understand and I said not to worry sorting it out.

In any event, I am a bit wary with this length of transit. It is long enough for a nap, but if leaving airside then factoring in immigration twice, security, travel time to the hotel, getting back to the airport early enough for boarding including time allowance for contingencies, there is not a lot of time for sleep. Then I worry that I will oversleep, and so inevitably end up with shallow and fitful sleep. So I was okay to stay at the airport and relax in the huge Al Mourjan lounge offered by Qatar Airways to its first and business class passengers (but not to oneworld emerald and sapphire passengers flying in economy).

This lounge is enormous. In the middle of the night it was rather full, but quickly emptied out and later on I was one of perhaps a dozen passengers scattered in the huge lounge, until the lounge again filled up for the early morning flights. There are lots of zones with different seating/amenities, lots of side rooms for all sorts of things, big open space in the middle including a large tranquil pool (water feature not for swimming). 2 restaurants (buffet food) in addition to the dozens of snack/drink stations. Bubbles were Veuve Clicquot.

Initially I was wide awake but by 5am I was starting to flag and so I left the lounge to wander around. I find this to be peaceful even with the hubub of a busy airport - my mind can switch off and wander as I stretch my legs, and it is interesting to explore nooks and crannies of a terminal.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Doha to Stockholm Arlanda (DOH-ARN) on Qatar Airways 787-800 in business

I timed my walk to reach the gate about 45 minutes before departure. While there is no need to board early to secure overhead bin space, I fancied some pre-departure drinks after all that walking. The gate area was reasonably full - I would guess economy is either totally or nearly full. There was a delay in boarding. About 20 minutes before departure boarding begins in chaos. Despite announcements that initial boarding is only for elderly, invalids, families; and specifically not for business class or economy class and to please wait; it was not well enforced. When the second call was for economy zone 1 I realised the business cabin had already boarded in the mellee. Oh well. Boarding completed quickly so we departed just a few minutes late.

The seat is very nearly identical to that in the A380, with just very minor differences. With a morning departure and an early afternoon arrival I'd hoped the menu would feature items for breakfast and lunch to allow choice, but seems to be more of a breakfast than a brunch or lunch menu.

Being tired I opted to eat early and then sleep, which I did so. I got another few hours sleep on the 5 hour flight. Once again I left wishing the flight was longer.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qatar Airways
Business Class menu
Doha to Stockholm
May 2015

A la Carte Menu

Tempt your taste buds with our on-demand menu designed to your desire, in any order and at any time during your flight.

Revivals

Freshly squeezed orange juice
Strawberry and banana smoothie

Healthy energizer

Apple, fennel and rocket juice

Appetisers

Seasonal fresh fruits with honey creme fraiche

Choice of breakfast cereals
corn flakes, Weetabix or toasted muesli

Bircher muesli
rolled oats bound with yoghurt, fruit and cinnamon

Greek yoghurt with raspberry compote and toasted granola

Smoked salmon with celeriac remoulade
pickled red onion, quail eggs and cherry tomatoes

Mains

Arabic breakfast plate
labneh with za'atar, feta cheese, cucumber, tomato and mixed olives
served with foul medames and arabic bread

Grilled chicken sausage with tomato and herb omelette
lyonnaise potatoes, roasted vine tomatoes and sauteed mushrooms

Mushroom parantha
egg bhurji, auberginge chutney and sambhar

Light options

Summery green vegetable and mozzarella salad
lemon and rapeseed oil dressing

Artichoke filled pasta with cherry tomato and basil sauce
rocket salad, crumbled feta cheese and saffron oil

Cheese selection served with crackers, grapes and chutney

LADUREE Selection of indulgent individual desserts

Dishes are accompanied by your choice of condiments and warm baked morning breads

Beverage Menu

Refresh your palate with our exceptional selection of gourmet hot beverages and refreshments; all prepared for you to enjoy at your leisure. All beverages on this menu are non-alcoholic.

Luxury non-alcoholic bubbly

So Jennie is a delicious alcohol-free sparkling beverage created from grapes sourced in the French Champagne region.

Cold beverages

Coca Cola, Diet Coca Cola, Sprite, Diet Sprite and Fanta
Ginger ale, soda and tonic water
Barbican non-alcoholic beer
Apple, mango, orange, pineapple and tomato juices
Sparkling and still water

Hot beverages

Dilmah
Ceylon, Ceylon spice chai, Chamomile, Decaffeinated, Earl grey, Jasmine, English breakfast, Mint, Oolong, Rooibos, and Sencha green
American, Cappuccino, Decaffeinated, Espresso, Latte and Macchiato
Hot chocolate

DOH-EUR-JC0HBML4-CY2-V2

Wine & Beverage Menu

White Champagne

Billecart-Salmon, Brut, France
Billecart-Salmon is one of the most stylish boutique Champagne houses. Since being founded in 1818, it has remained one of the best kept secrets in wine.
Production is small. Francois Billecart prefers it that way. It allows him total control of a family business that has won the adoration of serious Champagne lovers.
The gorgeous winery and underground cellars are hidden in a small village surrounded by vines. Billecart uses some old techniques such as basket presses to gently extract the finest juice. Modern technology is used to create extra cold temperatures during fermentation, which extend the process, and adds freshness, elegance and delicacy to the wines.
There is an extra-long ageing period in the dark underground cellars, allowing the complex flavours to unfold.
Billecart-Salmon is pure luxury. We hope you will enjoy it.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect way to start your journey in style. It is also the classic aperitif and well suited to smoked salmon and other light seafood.

Rose Champagne

Pol Roger, Extra Cuvee de Reserve, 2006, France
Pol, as it is known to the legions of fans, is one of the great family-owned Champagne Houses. Decidedly French, but with a strong tie to the United Kingdom. After all, it was Sir Winston Churchill's favourite tipple.
Although a relatively small House Pol Roger has a global reputation for superb quality Champagnes. This is one of the finest wines, a vintage dated Rose, now over 8 years old. We're honoured to have secured this parcel of truly fine and mature wine for you.
Rose Champagne is one of the most difficult wines in the world to make. The art is in getting the color to be attractive, a delicate salmon pink, after such a long period ageing in bottle. Furthermore the wine should be fresh and vibrant, yet complex and layered.
In our extensive blind tasting the 2006 Pol Roger stood out, exuding all these qualities and more. The raspberry and strawberry flavours intertwined with a toasty aromatic and biscuit flavor impressed, and the length on the palate was stunning. We hope you enjoy one of the finest Rose Champagnes, served at 35,000 feet.
Food & wine pairing. Although the perfect aperitific, as Sir Winston would say, it suits all occasions.

Pinot Gris

Domaine Zind Humbrecht, Clos Windsbuhl, 2011, Alsace, France
There are a handful of truly iconic wineries in Alsace. Zind-Humbrecht stands tall among them.
The winemaker and owner, Olivier Zind-Humbrecht, is one of the few Masters of Wine in France. He practices bio-dynamic farming techniques. This means the vineyard is farmed in an ultra-organic way and the earth's cosmic rhythms guide all of the agricultural practices.
The first nose is still a little closed, dominated by spices, smoke and a light torrefaction that add a nice complexity. This is a Windsbuhl which is showing strong terroir characteristic and takes time to open up, but once that is done, it reveals intense citrus fruits, ripe exotic fruits and more spices. The palate is delicate and is capable to integrate the sweetness that almost vanishes on the finish. The tannic richness brings also a saline sensation.
We are delighted to offer you this beautiful Pinot Gris from an iconic producer.
Food & wine pairing. Ideal with spicy dishes, and a lovely way to end a meal with some soft cheese.

Sauvignon Blanc

Saint Clair, Pioneer Block, 2012, Marlborough, New Zealand
According to Bob Campbell, Master of Wine, Saint Clair now makes New Zealand's and perhaps the world's best Sauvignon Blanc. Saint Clair has won more top awards for Sauvignon Blanc in recent years than any other local producer.
Saint Clair Pioneer Block wines are made from small parcels of outstanding fruit from specialist vineyard sites prized for their individual terroir characteristics. The fruit of this wine was sourced from a single vineyard owned by Peter and Kath Campbell on the fertile, free draining soils of the lower Wairau Valley.
This is a gorgeous Sauvignon Blanc. Pale and bright in color with intense aromas of passion fruit and citrus. Dry but fruity, light in body, with crisp and pure acidity to refresh the palate. Fermented and aged in stainless steel, the wine is bright, young and fresh.
Food & wine pairing. Ideal with salads, light seafood dishes, pasta in a cream sauce and spicy dishes.

Riesling

Dr Loosen, Erdener Treppchen, Spatlese, 2012, Mosel Valley, Germany
Ernst Loosen is the owner of a winery that can trace its history back over 200 years. This wine comes from the Treppchen vineyard, close to the town of Erden.
A "Spatlese" is made from late harvest grapes that have achieved a high level of ripeness. This, combined with the halting of the fermentation, has created a wine with a pleasant degree of sweetness.
The nose is perfumed with aromas of sweet apples, peaches and apricots, and shows excellent freshness and minerality. The palate is medium sweet, finishing slightly drier, with medium body, and enough acidity to counter-balance the sweetness. A host of stone fruit and tropical fruit flavors unravel on the palate leading into a beautiful long finish.
Food & wine pairing. The medium sweet character of the wine will suit spicy Indian and Asian dishes, and fresh fruit plates.

Assemblage Merlot & Cabernet

Chateau Smith Havt Lafitte, Pessac Leognan, Grand Cru Classe, 2009, Bordeaux, France
Florence and Daniel Cathiard, former members of the French Olympic ski team, purchased the property in 1991. Smith Haut Lafitte had always been one the better properties in the Pessac Leognan region, and following massive investments in the vineyards and winemaking the Cathiards have elevated the quality to rank amongst the finest wines of Bordeaux.
The 2009 vintage is a blend of 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, and small amounts of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. The average age of the vines is now 38 years old, and the roots plunge over 20 feet into the subsoil. Smith is one of the few chateau to actually make their own barrels and the wine spends 18 months slowly ageing in cask, which adds extra depth and complexity.
This is a vintage that is approachable in its youth, showing characteristic blackcurrant, coffee and vanilla flavors. Robert Parker rated it 92 points.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect match with beef, lamb and hard cheeses.

Shiraz

Hollick, 2012, Wrattonbully, Australia
Ian Hollick is regarded as one of the finest producers in Coonawarra, one of the prestigious growing regions in South Australia. Together with his wife, Wendy, he started Hollick Wines back in 1983.
Since their humble beginnings Ian has produced dozens of award winning wines and now owns over 200 acres of vineyards. In 1998 he went in search of new terroirs and found that Wrattonbully had similar soils to the famed Coonwarra region. He planted a vineyard here to Shiraz, and called it Red Ridge.
This Shiraz displays a the classic fruit forward style of Australia. The color is a classic inky black with a purple shade to the rim, indicating youth. The nose bursts with an abundance of sweet fruit flavors, including black cherry, raisin and sweet spices. The palate is full bodied, dry yet very ripe, with soft and supple tannins.
Food & wine pairing. Ideal with rich meat dishes and pasta in a tomato sauce.

Pinot Noir

Villa Maria, Cellar Selection, 2010, Marlborough, New Zealand
Villa Maria is the most awarded family-owned winery in New Zealand. It was founded in 1961 by George Fistonich who has been instrumental in putting the country in the spotlight for their crisp, fragrant Sauvignon Blanc's and elegant Pinot Noir's.
The grapes were harvested by hand, de-stemmed and crushed into open-top fermenters. After fermentation the wine was lfet to mature for 14 months in expensive French oak barrels.
This elegant Pinot Noir displays the hallmarks of gentle craftmanship. The alluring bouquet is perfumed with a myriad of strawberry, raspberry and red cherry fruit and subtle spicy note. The palate is dry, medium bodied, with gorgeous silky tannins and beautiful balance.
Food & wine pairing. This is a perfect wine to enjoy with heavier seafood dishes such as salmon, and is ideal with duck.

Sweet Gewurztraminer

Gustave Lorentz, Altenberg de Bergheim, Grand Cru, 2010, Alsace, France
Gewurztraminer reaches its pinnacle of quality in Alsace. And since 1836 Gustave Lorentz has been producing some of the finest examples.
When harvested from a top site, such as this Grand Cru vineyard, and the yields are kept low, you can produce one of the world's most heady and exotic wines. The perfume is so intense, the fruits so tropical and spicy, and the palate so dense and layered. The trademark aromatics of Gewurz are amongst the most beautiful in wine.
What is especially interesting is that the wines drink perfectly when just a few years old, but the best can age for a decade or more. The density of the stone fruit, pineapple, and lychee flavors are counterbalanced by a subtle yet bright acidity, creating the perfect balance.
We invite you to discover this fine white wine from Alsace, one of the world's underrated treasures.
Food & wine pairing. Ideally suited to Asian dishes and other powerfully flavoured food.

Tawny Port

Kopke, Colhetta, 1974, Douro Valley, Portugal
We are delighted to have discovered a parcel of extremely fine Tawny Port from the very oldest Port House, named Kopke.
Kopke is the epitome of a traditional Port producer. It was established in 1638 in the upper Duoro valley amidst the steep terraced vineyards in this arid and rugged countryside. Some of these old producers keep stocks of very old Port for release many years later.
This Port is nearly forty years old. It's a single vintage tawny, from 1974. For almost four decades it has aged in small oak casks. Over the years the oxygenation of the wine has turned it into a gorgeous pale reddish brown color and the tannins have all but dissipated, creating a sensationally smooth texture.
The nose shows notes of toffee and dried fruits, along with a slightly nutty aroma. The palate is medium sweet, ultra smooth and filled with the same subtle yet powerful flavors that are found on the nose. The finish is long and complex, a hallmark of a very fine wine.
Food & wine pairing. The perfect wine to enjoy with a selection of cheese or sip by itself after a meal.

Cocktails & Spirits

Classics

Bloody Mary
Cuba Libre
Dry Martini
Champagne Cocktail
Spritzer
Screwdriver
Black Russian

Whisky

Chivas Regal 12-yrs old
Glenfiddich 15-yrs old
Jack Daniel's

Beer

Amstel Light
Corona Extra
Guinness
Heineken

Aperitifs

Bombay Sapphire
Campari
Martini Dry
Martini Rosso

Digestifs

Baileys
Bacardi
Belvedere Pure
Camus XO Elegance
Cointreau
Crème de Cassis
Kahlua
Patron Reposado

BC - 01-MAY-2015-OUT
Old May 16, 2015, 7:32 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

London Heathrow to Dubai (LHR-DXB) on Qantas A380-800 in first

The last day of the megado was at The Queen's Terminal, i.e. T2 at London Heathrow. Check in for Qantas at LHR is only open for 5 hours before departure and similar for transfer desk at T3 flight connections center. I hoped to online check in but this was not enabled for me. I don't know if it was because the upgrades cleared or because I had onward connecting flights that were more than 24 hours before departure. Dang - oh well I can try checking in at a kiosk when I arrive at LHR. The kiosk also wouldn't let me check in. Dang. One last try at check in desk - while my flight was much more than 5 hours before departure, there is a middle of the day Qantas departure as well. Success - 3 boarding passes.

After exploring T2 I headed back to T3. The boarding pass gave me access to fast track security but despite being a shorter queue it was a slower moving line and thus didn't really save any time. On arrival at the lounge I had a shower to freshen up and then a late lunch. It took me a while to track down a lounge staff member who wasn't on the front desk to order some food. I had quite a lot of time to fill so caught up on messages and some work. I had a bit of flying ahead so left the lounge early to wander around the terminal before boarding. I saw the cabin crew heading for the gate and knew I had time for another lap of the terminal.

I reached the gate just before boarding commenced. Judging by the number of people in the gate area the flight was not very full, although it is hard to guess how many people stay in the shopping mall part of the terminal until the last minute. After pre-boarding it went straight to a free-for-all boarding - no priority for premium or elite passengers. I quickly settled into my seat, pulling the headset out of its cubby so I could get a quick start on a movie. Pre-departure bubbles - today we had the Veuve La Grande Dame. Canapes. I had to ask for amenity kit, pajamas and menu as I seem to have been forgotten when these were being handed out

The seat was good as usual. The service was not so good - it was obvious I'd been forgotten several times when I'd be waiting a long time for a course or drink refill and the flight attendant would come by to remove something and do an about turn and quickly returned to my seat with the item they had planned to remove. I'm a slow eater but it got tiresome pretty quickly. Dinner wasn't finished until 4 hours into the flight, or only a couple of hours before landing I managed a little sleep but was tired and feeling somewhat grumpy when it was time to disembark.

Our gate was right in front of transfer security and there was no queue so within 5 minutes I was inside the first class lounge.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 16, 2015 at 7:50 pm
Old May 16, 2015, 7:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

British Airways
First Class menu
London Heathrow lounge
May 2015

Menu

Noon to Close

Please help yourself

You will find on our hot and cold buffet :

Soup served with crusty bread and rolls, croutons and seeds
A wide range of hot dishes accompanied by potatoes and vegetables
A salad bar together with a selection of cold meats, cheeses and vegetarian dishes
A selection of desserts and fresh fruit with cream and fruit coulis

Brought to your table

Please order with one of our lounge hosts :

Soup of the Day
Please ask your host for today's choice of soup, served with freshly baked breads

Salt Beef Bagel
Bagel filled with salt beef, dill pickle and celeriac remoulade served with a crisp side salad
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Barley Gluten, Rye Gluten, Egg, Mustard
Contains alcohol

BA Burger
Made with British Aberdeen Angus beef served in a milk-glazed roll with red onion, baby gem lettuce, cherry tomatoes and dill pickle and accompanied by twice-cooked chips. Ask your host if you would like to add crispy back bacon or mature English Cheddar
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Soya, Egg, Mustard, Celery, Milk, Sulphur Dioxide
Bacon option contains pork

Hunters Chicken
Tender slices of British chicken breast, green olives, honey and rosemary in a tomato and red wine sauce served with potato puree and tenderstem broccoli
Allergens : Celery, Milk
Contains alcohol

Caesar Salad
Salad of baby gem lettuce, tossed in a creamy Ceasar dressing with anchovies and pancetta topped with croutons and a soft boiled hen's egg
Allergens : Milk, Fish, Wheat Gluten, Barley Gluten, Egg
Contains pork

Macaroni Cheese
Chifferini pasta with a rich red Leicester, British Cheddar and English mustard sauce. Ask your host if you would like to add wild mushrooms
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Barley Gluten, Soya, Mustard, Milk
Suitable for vegetarians

Ice Creams

Chocolate Ice Cream
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Egg, Milk

Vanilla Ice Cream
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Egg, Milk

Cheeses

Somerset Camembert
Allergens : Milk
Suitable for vegetarians

Coastal Cheddar
Suitable for vegetarians

Bleu d'Auvergne

Apple and Somerset Cider Brandy Chutney
Suitable for vegans, contains alcohol

Bath Oliver Biscuits
Allergens : Wheat Gluten, Barley Gluten, Milk
Suitable for vegetarians
Old May 16, 2015, 7:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
London Heathrow to Dubai
May 2015

Supper

Canapes

Caviar and cauliflower puree tartlet

Chilled gazpacho

Soup & Salad

Roasted pumpkin soup with parmesan and croutons

Warm goats cheese with hazelnuts and marinated cherry tomatoes

Small plates

Big bowl of linguine with zucchini, garlic and parmesan

Smoked haddock pot pie *

Our signature steak sandwich with tomato and chilli relish *

Main Plates

Spinach and ricotta gnocchi with caponata, basil and parmesan

Sumac baked salmon with spiced pilaf rice, snow peas and tzatziki

Slow roasted spring lamb with braised radicchio, pan fried polenta and salsa verde

Side Salad

Salad of rocket, radicchio, mizuna and baby gem with your choice of palm sugar vinaigrette, aged balsamic or lemon dressing

Cheese

Selection of cheese served with accompaniments

Dessert

Warm chocolate bread and butter pudding

Baked lemon tart with clotted cream and almond praline

Minghella ice cream *

Seasonal fruit *

Petits Fours

Marmalade canele *

Amedei chocolates

* Available amytime throughout your flight

Breakfast

Beverages

Orange juice

Apple juice

Tomato juice

Santa Vittoria pear nectar

Santa Vittoria peach nectar

Berry energizer

Fruit & Cereal

Seasonal fruit salad

Bircher muesli

Cereal selection

Brookfarm toasted macadamia muesli with cranberries

Yoghurt and honey

Bakery

Toast

Croissant

Rhubarb Danish

Vegemite, berry jam, marmalade, honey

Hot Beverages

Vittoria Cinque Stelle Coffee
Vittoria's premiere espresso blend. This blend of premium 100% Arabica coffee delivers a smooth, delicate finish on the palate.

Vittoria Chocochino
Rich, Italian style drinking chocolate

T2 Tea
Experience the range of beautiful, fragrant teas from around the world.

Chamomile - Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet, golden chamomile flowers.

Earl Grey - A full bodied blend of Ceylon orange pekoe and generous amounts of bergamot, producing an all time classic tea.

English Breakfast - A blend of the finest Sri Lankan full bodied teas producing a rich and well rounded flavour.

Lemongrass and Ginger - Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

Peppermint - A well rounded peppermint flavour captures the essence of all things "minty" with a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Sencha - A classic green tea grown in Japan with beautiful, emerald green leaves producing a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Sleep Tight - A soothing herb blend. Gentle lemon mintiness from the lemon balm combines with the sweet perfume of rose, lavender and jasmine.

Beverages

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary

Campari, Italy

Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth, France

Spirits

Absolut Elyx Vodka, Sweden

Bacardi White Rum, Puerto Rico

Beefeater 24 London Dry Gin, England

Chivas Regal 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland

The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland

Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Kentucky USA

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, USA

Jameson Irish Whiskey, Ireland

Bundaberg Dark Rum, Australia

Cognac

Martell Cordon Bleu, France

Liqueurs

Cointreau, France

Irish Cream Liqueur, Ireland

Fortified Wine

Penfolds Grandfather Rare Tawny

Seppeltsfield Paramount Collection Rare Muscat

Seppeltsfield Paramount Collection Rare Tokay

Beer

A selection of premium Australian beer.

Non Alcoholic

Juices

Soft drinks

Mineral water

P2_LHR-DXB_MAR15

Wine

Champagne

Your flight attendant will advise which of the following champagnes is available on your flight today.

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, Blanc de Blancs 2000
Inimitable, irresistible and arresting, Comtes de Champagne is revered among the finest blanc de blancs. Intricately spun mineral texture is toned by depths of silky softness and crystalline assertiveness in a high-pitched harmony of vibrant lemon, white peach and gunsmoke.

Pol Roger, Sir Winston Churchill 2000
Sir Winston Churchill epitomizes Pol Roger's mandate of desperate precision and intricate delicacy. As sophisticated and polished as the great man himself, it sings with a deeply penetrating chalk mineral texture, youthful white peach and the roast nut nuances of maturity.

Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004
In the epicenter of Champagne, the Monagne de Reims is the finest source of sparkling pinot noir, the core of La Grande Dame 2004 ushers in a breathtaking new age, disarmingly youthful, dramatically high-pitched and shimmering with dazzling acidity within a delicate shell.

White Wine

Tyrell's Wines Vat 47 Hunter Chardonnay 2009, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
This bastion of Hunter Valley Chardonnay is in classic form here, showing complex flinty edges and ripe but restrained fruits; lemon citrus and ripe yellow peach, some floral lift too and well-judged oak. The palate is straight shooting and youthful, showing fresh orange citrus flavours, crisp Hunter acidity and instant appeal. Wine Business Monthly

Delatite Riesling 2006, Upper Goulburn, Victoria
Delatite is a medium sized family run winery established in 1982 by Robert and Vivienne Ritchie. Specialising in cool climate aromatics it is sited on a picturesque rise with sweeping views across Mt Buller in North-East Victoria. The wine has strong floral and citrus aromas. The fullness and depth of these flavours are balanced with lively acidity and the wine develops complexity and richness with bottle age.

The Lane Block 10 Sauvignon Blanc 2014, Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Planted on a steep south facing slope, this block of Sauvignon captures the rich mineral assets that make the vineyard special. Pale straw with green hue in colour, the wine has flavours of seamless passionfruit, rocket and lemon thyme.

Red Wine

Clonakilla O'Riada Shiraz 2012, Canberra District, New South Wales
Clonakilla is Australia's most celebrated name in Shiraz Voigner, and O'Riada is it's blend from four vineyards around the district of Murrumbateman, just north of Canberra. "A celebration of spice" proclaims the bottle, and it certainly delivers, laced with white pepper, potpourri, curry and exotic spices of all kinds. It's tangy, crunchy, harmonious, texture and delicious.

Giant Steps Applejack Vineyard Pinot Noir 2013, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Bright, deep and clear crimson, the bouquet is very fragrant, the palate brimming with plum and red and black cherry fruit, yet retains a fluid grace, reflecting a low-intervention regime in the winery. A worthy successor to the acclaimed trophy-winning "12". James Halliday Wine Companion 2015 edition

Mount Mary Vineyard Quintet Cabernet 2012, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Mount Mary commands a mythical status among wine collectors. Found, the late Dr John Middleton, was one of the great figures in the Australian wine industry. Quintet is a Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Merlot and Petit Verdot blend. It exhibits a purity of fruit, poise and structure found in few Australian Cabernets with cedar and blackcurrant aromas, fine-grained savoury tannins and superb flavour length. Quintet resonates an individuality of place - Andrew Callard MW

Dessert Wine

Lillypilly Noble Blend 2008, Riverina, New South Wales
This is one stunning aromatic dessert wine. Tropical fruits and glorious fresh and vital passionfruit, lychees, pineapple. This wine is a lighter style with lively acidity supporting the fruit characters. Sweet but balanced and seamless in delivery. Will have you wanting more.
Old May 16, 2015, 7:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Dubai to Sydney (DXB-SYD) on Qantas A380-800 in first

I was late in getting to the gate so was welcomed with "you must be Kiwi". After boarding pass was scanned and passport checked there was a cursory check of carry on luggage and then down the lift two levels for boarding. One benefit of boarding so late is I didn't have the usual problem of full lifts (since business class lounge is on the floor above the first class lounge the lifts descending to the air bridges are often full when they stop at the first class lounge).

Due to unavailability of the through flight this was a separate sector on my ticket, and due to seat selection by others I also had a different seat on each leg. I took my seat and enjoyed some more bubbles. When I tried the IFE however there was no sound. Eventually I worked out the previous passenger had broken the prongs of the headset and there were bits still stuck in the holes. However when I then saw the headset which had been wrapped in plastic had broken prongs I realised the cleaning crew must have wrapped the headset from the first flight at the seat. Ugg. Fortunately, the first cabin wasn't totally full and so I was given a new headset and also moved to another seat - the same one I had from London as it happens. This was a welcome surprise - normally first class is full with (mileage) upgrading passengers or staff filling all unsold seats.

With the seat switch before takeoff I again had to ask to get the amenity kit and menu. Service was again fairly slow - for example others were served their second course before I got my first course. After lunch I then managed several hours of sleep, waking a couple of hours before landing. Time enough for a couple of drinks and a bite to eat. We landed slightly late due to a delay in departing Dubai, but I had plenty of time before my next flight to shower and freshen up, and catch up on news and messages.
Old May 16, 2015, 8:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
First Class menu
Dubai to Sydney
May 2015

Tasting Menu

Tartlet of creme fraiche and salmon roe

Feta and spinach kibbeh

Cream of sweet corn soup with croutons

Warm confit duck salad with ruby grapefruit, hazelnuts and radicchio

Seared snapper with onion cream, green beans and sauteed potatoes

OR

Rockpool Bar & Grill style roast lamb rack with crushed olive potatoes, snow peas and your choice of harissa, hot English mustard or seed mustard

Salad of baby leaves with palm sugar vinaigrette

Chocolate crepes with orange compote

Chocolates

Lunch

Canapes

Tartlet of creme fraiche and salmon roe

Feta and spinach kibbeh

Soup & Salad

Cream of sweet corn soup with croutons

Warm confit duck salad with ruby grapefruit, hazelnuts and radicchio

Smoked ocean trout salad with marinated zucchini, cherry tomatoes and lemon vinaigrette

Small plates

Calzone of tomato, roast capsicum, mozzarella

Big bowl of chicken broth with ravioli and gremolata

Mezze plate inspired by Emirates *

Our signature steak sandwich with tomato and chilli relish *

Main Plates

Grilled pumpkin, spinach and tomato lasagna with toasted breadcrumbs

Pan fried snapper with green beans, lemon and olive oil

Seared snapper with onion cream, green beans and sauteed potatoes

Beef tagine with preserved lemon couscous, wilted spinach and coriander yoghurt

Rockpool Bar & Grill style roast lamb rack with crushed olive potatoes, snow peas and your choice of harissa, hot English mustard or seeded mustard

Side Salad

Salad of baby leaves with your choice of palm sugar vinaigrette, aged balsamic or lemon dressing

Cheese

Dessert

Vanilla creme brulee with raspberries and almond praline

Chocolate crepes with orange compote

"More" ice cream *

Seasonal fruit *

Petits Fours

Flourless chocolate cake *

Chocolates

* Available amytime throughout your flight

Breakfast

Beverages

Orange juice

Apple juice

Tomato juice

Santa Vittoria pear nectar

Santa Vittoria peach nectar

Mango and lime energizer

Fruit & Cereal

Seasonal fruit salad

Bircher muesli

Cereal selection

Brookfarm toasted macadamia muesli with cranberries

Yoghurt and honey

Bakery

Toast

Croissant

Apple and ginger Danish

Vegemite, berry jam, marmalade, honey

Hot Selection

Free range scrambled eggs on toasted brioche with Cumberland sausage, sauteed mushrooms and avocado

Savoury French toast with tomato ragout and rocket

Buttermilk pancakes with apple compote and cinnamon yoghurt

Hot Beverages

Vittoria Cinque Stelle Coffee
Vittoria's premiere espresso blend. This blend of premium 100% Arabica coffee delivers a smooth, delicate finish on the palate.

Vittoria Chocochino
Rich, Italian style drinking chocolate

T2 Tea
Experience the range of beautiful, fragrant teas from around the world.

Chamomile - Relax and unwind with this fragrant infusion of sweet, golden chamomile flowers.

Earl Grey - A full bodied blend of Ceylon orange pekoe and generous amounts of bergamot, producing an all time classic tea.

English Breakfast - A blend of the finest Sri Lankan full bodied teas producing a rich and well rounded flavour.

Lemongrass and Ginger - Zesty and bright lemongrass contrasts the spicy flavour of ginger to create a refreshing and wild taste sensation.

Peppermint - A well rounded peppermint flavour captures the essence of all things "minty" with a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Sencha - A classic green tea grown in Japan with beautiful, emerald green leaves producing a sweet, smooth, grassy flavour.

Sleep Tight - A soothing herb blend. Gentle lemon mintiness from the lemon balm combines with the sweet perfume of rose, lavender and jasmine.

Beverages

Aperitifs

Bloody Mary

Campari, Italy

Noilly Prat French Dry Vermouth, France

Spirits

Absolut Elyx Vodka, Sweden

Chivas Regal 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland

The Glenlivet 18yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland

Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Kentucky USA

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, USA

Cognac

Martell Cordon Bleu, France

Liqueurs

Cointreau, France

Fortified Wine

Penfolds Grandfather Rare Tawny

Seppeltsfield Paramount Collection Rare Muscat

Seppeltsfield Paramount Collection Rare Tokay

Beer

A selection of premium Australian beer.

Non Alcoholic

Juices

Soft drinks

Mineral water

P2_DXB-SYD_MAR15

Wine

Champagne

Your flight attendant will advise which of the following champagnes is available on your flight today.

Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, Blanc de Blancs 2000
Inimitable, irresistible and arresting, Comtes de Champagne is revered among the finest blanc de blancs. Intricately spun mineral texture is toned by depths of silky softness and crystalline assertiveness in a high-pitched harmony of vibrant lemon, white peach and gunsmoke.

Pol Roger, Sir Winston Churchill 2000
Sir Winston Churchill epitomizes Pol Roger's mandate of desperate precision and intricate delicacy. As sophisticated and polished as the great man himself, it sings with a deeply penetrating chalk mineral texture, youthful white peach and the roast nut nuances of maturity.

Veuve Clicquot La Grande Dame 2004
In the epicenter of Champagne, the Monagne de Reims is the finest source of sparkling pinot noir, the core of La Grande Dame 2004 ushers in a breathtaking new age, disarmingly youthful, dramatically high-pitched and shimmering with dazzling acidity within a delicate shell.

White Wine

Tyrell's Wines Vat 47 Hunter Chardonnay 2009, Hunter Valley, New South Wales
This bastion of Hunter Valley Chardonnay is in classic form here, showing complex flinty edges and ripe but restrained fruits; lemon citrus and ripe yellow peach, some floral lift too and well-judged oak. The palate is straight shooting and youthful, showing fresh orange citrus flavours, crisp Hunter acidity and instant appeal. Wine Business Monthly

Delatite Riesling 2006, Upper Goulburn, Victoria
Delatite is a medium sized family run winery established in 1982 by Robert and Vivienne Ritchie. Specialising in cool climate aromatics it is sited on a picturesque rise with sweeping views across Mt Buller in North-East Victoria. The wine has strong floral and citrus aromas. The fullness and depth of these flavours are balanced with lively acidity and the wine develops complexity and richness with bottle age.

The Lane Block 10 Sauvignon Blanc 2014, Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Planted on a steep south facing slope, this block of Sauvignon captures the rich mineral assets that make the vineyard special. Pale straw with green hue in colour, the wine has flavours of seamless passionfruit, rocket and lemon thyme.

Red Wine

Clonakilla O'Riada Shiraz 2012, Canberra District, New South Wales
Clonakilla is Australia's most celebrated name in Shiraz Voigner, and O'Riada is it's blend from four vineyards around the district of Murrumbateman, just north of Canberra. "A celebration of spice" proclaims the bottle, and it certainly delivers, laced with white pepper, potpourri, curry and exotic spices of all kinds. It's tangy, crunchy, harmonious, texture and delicious.

Giant Steps Applejack Vineyard Pinot Noir 2013, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Bright, deep and clear crimson, the bouquet is very fragrant, the palate brimming with plum and red and black cherry fruit, yet retains a fluid grace, reflecting a low-intervention regime in the winery. A worthy successor to the acclaimed trophy-winning "12". James Halliday Wine Companion 2015 edition

Mount Mary Vineyard Quintet Cabernet 2012, Yarra Valley, Victoria
Mount Mary commands a mythical status among wine collectors. Found, the late Dr John Middleton, was one of the great figures in the Australian wine industry. Quintet is a Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Merlot and Petit Verdot blend. It exhibits a purity of fruit, poise and structure found in few Australian Cabernets with cedar and blackcurrant aromas, fine-grained savoury tannins and superb flavour length. Quintet resonates an individuality of place - Andrew Callard MW

Dessert Wine

Lillypilly Noble Blend 2008, Riverina, New South Wales
This is one stunning aromatic dessert wine. Tropical fruits and glorious fresh and vital passionfruit, lychees, pineapple. This wine is a lighter style with lively acidity supporting the fruit characters. Sweet but balanced and seamless in delivery. Will have you wanting more.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:01 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Sydney to Wellington (SYD-WLG) on Qantas 737-800 in business

I left the lounge at the appropriate time for a walk to the usual gate at the far end of the terminal. Boarding was slightly delayed. Pre-boarding then priority boarding. Menu already on the seat and offered pre-departure bubbles, juice or water. Hot towel. I dozed.

We had mild turbulence for about half the flight and landed slightly late. Smartgate kiosks were not working propertly so a small wait at immigration, but no queue at customs thanks for travelling carry on only.
Old May 16, 2015, 9:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class menu
Australia to New Zealand
May 2015

Menu

Small Plate

Roast duck and egg noodle salad with black funghi, cucumber, sesame, ginger and shallot dressing

Main Plates

Vietnamese style salad of beef, shredded cucumber, fresh herbs and spicy nuoc cham dressing

Blue eye trevalla with tomato and cardamom sauce, roasted eggplant, spinach and steamed rice

Veal fillet with mustard fruits, cavalo nero, risoni and white onion puree

Dessert

Maggie Beer ice cream

Lindt chocolate

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, Duval-Leroy Brut or Jacquart Brut Mosalque.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

A selection of premium Australian and New Zealand wines.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky, Scotland
The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Jack Daniel's Bourbon, Tennessee, USA

Cognac & Liqueurs

Marteli VSOP Old Fine Cognac, France
Cointreau, France

Beers

A selection of premium and popular Australian beer.

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

FIX Coffee
Selection of fine Dilmah tea
Vittoria Chocochino hot chocolate

J_TAS_MM_3_AUS-NZ_APR15

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.