FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1677126-off-star-megado-oneworld-mostly-business-incl-brand-new-aa-787-a.html)

Kiwi Flyer May 3, 2015 5:36 pm

Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787

Index to my trip reports

If you like this report, you may be interested in some of my other trip reports.
  1. AKL-YYZ with NZ/AC in F & C - my first trip report
  2. Europe to Iceland & return on Icelandair (FI) - somewhere different
  3. Some FTers DO the Inaugural Worlds Longest Flight SIN-EWR vv 28 June 2004 - 2 long flights back to back
  4. 7 Crazy Days - includes an almost inaugural flight
  5. Champagne and figure eights on ice - Antarctica flightseeing
  6. a Lit.tle sPRinG.Ly JoUrney (BUDding KiwiS Can zig-ZAG around Europe) - mostly central and eastern Europe
  7. Big DO DOs - or a Kiwi Flyer's Month of Madness - lots of flights
  8. Another Manic Month for Kiwi - again lots of flights
  9. Mini Tour of NZ - over 100 domestic flights in New Zealand covering all domestic routes (ongoing)
  10. Across the Globe in 5 Continents - criss-crossing the globe
  11. Auckland to National Park by Train - train in New Zealand's North Island
  12. Across the Globe in 5 Continents Again - criss-crossing the globe, but this time mainly on One World
  13. A Warm Embrace of the Tropics - short trips to the tropical South Pacific
  14. Singapore (SQ) new first and business class, plus a medley of 12 F & C SQ flights - name says it all really
  15. Across the Globe in 4 Continents - around the world on star alliance, including some unusual flights
  16. Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Sampler - a sampling of Qantas flights, domestic and international, in economy and business (ongoing)
  17. Around the World in Under 60 Hours - around the world in a weekend
  18. The Heat is On - another longhaul economy trip in under 60 hours - what a contrast, Asia and Qantas' new first class lounges
  19. Fast on the ground and in the air - it must be Shanghai – a flying visit to Shanghai + Maglev
  20. It's a Fine Line Between Pleasure & Pain: 4 wacky weeks 2 RTW C, inaugural longhaul Y – mostly One World
  21. Back and forth across the Pacific on a variety of airlines in a selection of classes - 16 crossings of the Pacific plus some other related flights
  22. It isn't every day that you witness a hijacking attempt + NZ's forgotten 4th island - a visit to Chatham Islands coincides with New Zealand's first hijacking attempt
  23. There and back - first day Air NZ flies to Coolangatta (Gold Coast)
  24. A Run Around (part of) The Axis of Evil: A Perfect *A RTW in C? - Axis of Evil 0 US Immigration 1 :(
  25. Wellington to Auckland by train - self-explanatory title
  26. A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights - a double longhaul inaugural, domestic international shuttle and domestic leg of an international flight
  27. Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline - featuring new QF First on A380 special flight, "you have to get off now", and 105th different current route with NZ
  28. One World Revolutions - Around Mostly the Southern Hemisphere - mostly Southern Hemisphere and mostly on One World on a mix of products
  29. Cris-cros the Med & the Globe on Emirates, Qantas & Star Alliance in mix of F/C/Y+/Y – starting with EK First on A380 and ending with Qantas economy, with a lot of travel mostly on *A in between
  30. An FTer flies to a Do (or Why take the nonstop when you can fly 10 flights instead?) - combining an FT Do with an aerial tour of northern Queensland
  31. The Ultimate Qantas Flight - short report on the ultimate flight
  32. Premium Flying Across the Ditch (Between New Zealand and Australia) - experiencing the forward cabins on Trans-Tasman flights (ongoing)
  33. 5 Boeings Straight to the Airbus Do - FTer feasts in first, business & economy - my journey to & from the *A / Airbus Mega Do
  34. NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special) - an odd collection of flight routes & schedules around the world
  35. From my first low cost redeye to a first class trifecta - an insane fortnight - some firsts of all types
  36. G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class - a day & night tripping around the South Pacific on Air NZ
  37. A Feast of First Class Flying on British Airways, Qantas and Emirates - long distance in style
  38. A Weekend of Old and New - Lufthansa first & business, Air New Zealand business - a quick longhaul trip featuring some old and new products
  39. Star Alliance tres primo, and tres biz - a trio of first and business on Star Alliance
  40. A few flights to end 2011 - a quick trip around the world + more
  41. Five Continents in 3 Days and Some Other Mad Trips in 2012 - a selection of my 2012 travels
  42. Sky Team madness - 14 weeks, 200k miles, 5 continents, CI brand new business – mostly Sky Team
  43. Off to Star megado on Oneworld - mostly business incl brand new AA 787
  44. A Glutton for Punishment: red eye, new world's longest flight & more, in comfort?

Kiwi Flyer May 3, 2015 5:43 pm

Index

Kiwi Flyer May 3, 2015 7:29 pm

Intro

It has been too long since I made a megado, and a favourable alignment of the do and leave availability saw me book the do, and of course a few flights to get there and back.

While playing around with the Oneworld RTW tool I discovered I could route so that I'd fly the brand new AA 787, albeit I was unable to nab the inaugural flight (at least without downgrading to coach). I have a few other interesting flights along the way so hopefully there is something in this report for readers.

The trip was ticketed a while ago and there have been a few issues to grapple with pre-departure.

The itinerary is probably the least efficient round the world that I have booked - unused sectors (plus a surface sector for the megado), booked a direct flight as 2 segments without a stopover due to lack of availability, more redeyes than I'd like, a continent counts to the fare despite flying over it (thanks to the fare rules). Still I get to try out some new airlines (for me), one of the two remaining airlines with A380 which I haven't flown (namely Qatar), some new lounges (for me), some new products (for me), and a brand new plane. It fits in with my schedule reasonably well, and didn't require lots of side tickets (as would have been required if I'd attempted to optimise the RTW).

The "helpful" AA which notices I had a long connection and so rebooked me off the 787 flight onto another flight. Fortunately I spotted this quickly and was able to rebook back to the 787 flight. Contrary to the previous action, a schedule change on another flight resulted in AA rebook me for a later flight and longer connection. Worse, the horrid red eye was a later departure. I was able to revert to an earlier flight.

Qantas had system issues with seat selection and mileage upgrade requests for one of their flights due to the way they've set up flight numbering and a change of aircraft type in the direct (but not non-stop) flight. I was able to get this sorted (both seat selection and upgrade request) over the phone. Then a few days ago there was an incident with an A380 in maintenance, which means QF is currently down one aircraft with F seats. While my flight continued to be operated by A380 (rather than switched to 747 with no first class), F availability dropped to zero along with my upgrade chances.

I write this on day one of the trip and already I have two delayed flights and a lounge situation. Oh well. It will soon be time to board and I can relax with some bubbles.
-------------
Added later.

Apologies. While my flight keeps getting pushed back = time perhaps to update some of this trip, it is only going back by 30 minutes at a time (currently over 2 hours) and I'm enjoying the lounge bubbles too much (and keeping an eye on backup plans in case the flight ends up being cancelled) to rush with another post given boarding is perpetually imminent. More later.

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:15 am

Wellington to Sydney (WLG-SYD) on Qantas 737-800 in business

As is often the case before a trip, concerns loitering in my mind overnight that I'd sleep through the alarm for an OMG o'clock wakeup meant I woke up hours early and just a few hours after getting to bed the night before. I was trying out a different taxi service than the ones I usually use, and it was not a good impression when the cab turned up late. The prepaid fare is forfeited after 15 minutes if passenger fails to turn up. Reciprocity (i.e. refund of fare) if driver fails to turn up within 15 minutes of the agreed time is probably problematic - in that a driver running late then has limited incentive to turn up at all. However a partial refund might be useful.

The cab turned up after chasing them up with the excuse that he'd been stuck in traffic. Really? I'm in the middle of the city and before 4am there is little traffic other than cabs.

I digress. I had booked an early pickup time so I wouldn't get bothered by a short delay and still arrived at the airport in plenty of time to check in. There was no one on the elite/business class check in counter but I eventually was seen by an agent at the ticket counter. There was a delay because my ESTA status wasn't showing properly. The agent wanted the ESTA reference number. Who carries that around with them? Me as it happens, but I was too lazy to dig it out from my bag so instead I pointed out my previous US visits on the same ESTA and with another swipe of my passport it seemed to work.

I was given 3 boarding passes. A quick look got me excited that against the odds my mileage upgrade requested on the next flight had cleared for I had a seat number in the first cabin. Alas, it was just my bleary eyes and out of order boarding passes, for I was looking at the boarding pass for the third flight not the second. Oh well.

Security and immigration were quick and I went to the Qantas lounge. Since my previous visit the computers had been removed and the food and beverage offerings diminished and cheapened :( The lounge was moderately full - mostly of business travelers. Boarding time came and went. Boarding commenced late, and had already started outside the lounge, partly negating the benefit of the boarding direct from the lounge side door as we then had to queue in the airbridge.

Pushback was 45 minutes late, and explained by the captain that both pilots had called in sick and so today there were two standby pilots in the cockpit. The business cabin was half full and I had an empty seat thanks to a seat block which I'd noticed earlier when looking at the seat maps online. Pre-departure beverages on offer were water, orange juice and champagne. Menus were on the seat at boarding.

We took off to the north over the city in the pre-dawn halflight. We only had a few minutes to enjoy the views before passing through a cloud layer. I dozed during the flight, but only managed a little sleep. I've taken similar early morning flights to Australia dozens of times and usually get at least a couple of hours of sleep, if not more. Today I was not so lucky. Oh well.

The flight was relatively smooth. Sydney was also cloudy so not much view of the city as we passed over and landed towards the south. Normally this path has excellent views of the opera house, harbour bridge, etc. We landed on the far runway which means a long taxi to the terminal, and we got the usual gate at the end of the *A pier - so a long walk to my next flight. We had made up a few minutes en route, but depending on security queues it looked like I might not get to visit the Qantas first lounge before my onward flight. :(

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:22 am

Qantas
Business Class menu
New Zealand to Australia
May 2015

Breakfast

Orange juice

Mango energiser

Warm bakery

Seasonal fruit salad

Continental Breakfast

Brookfield macadamia muesli with cranberries

Hot Breakfast

Scrambled eggs with pork sausages, sauteed mushrooms and roast tomatoes

Ricotta pancakes with orange compote, toasted pistachios and vanilla cream

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve, Duval-Leroy Brut or Jacquart Brut Mosalque.

Australian and New Zealand Wine

A selection of premium Australian and New Zealand wines.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden
Bacardi White Rum, Puerto Rico
Beefeater 24 London Dry Gin, England

Chivas Regal 12yo Scotch Whisky, Scotland
The Glenlivet 12yo Single Malt Scotch Whisky, Scotland
Bundaberg Dark Rum, Australia
Jack Daniel's Bourbon, Tennessee, USA
Jameson Irish Whiskey, Ireland

Cognac & Liqueurs

Marteli VSOP Old Fine Cognac, France
Cointreau, France
Irish Cream Liqueur, Ireland

Beers

A selection of premium and popular Australian beer.

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Australian dessert and fortified wine is available for your enjoyment.

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

FIX Coffee
Selection of fine Dilmah tea
Vittoria Chocochino hot chocolate

J_TAS_BF_2_NZ-AUS_APR15

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:41 am

Sydney transit

Transit security was moderately busy but the queue moved quickly so I was soon through. I dislike this connection because passengers have to go against the flow to get to the OW piers or lounges, and being a busy time of day there are a lot of passengers heading towards the *A pier who tend to spread across the entire hallway not generally expecting people to be going the other way. Unfortunately I've had this many times because the Qantas flights from New Zealand tend to get gates at the *A pier. Today I managed to run-down just the one unwary passenger who wasn't watching where they were going.

Along the way to the OW piers I saw on the departure screens that boarding had not yet commenced so I figured there may just be enough time for a quick visit to the first lounge. When I entered the lounge it was packed. I looked for a spare computer to use and found that since my previous visit Qantas had removed most of the computers (just 3 down near the showers and 2 inside meeting rooms) and also removed all of the workstation tables near the library. All the computers were busy and it was then I noticed there were no spare seats. The only empty seats in the entire lounge was a couple of tables in the dining area with "reserved" signs on them.

I did a couple of laps trying to find a seat and was unsuccessful. I found someone packing up there stuff and so waited for their seat to become free. They said they will just be a few minutes, but then took some phone calls and showed no signs of leaving. So I did instead. I self downgraded to the business lounge. While it was moderately full, there were plenty of spare seats.

At this stage it was well past boarding time but no announcement. The departure monitors showed "go to gate". I looked up flightstats and saw there was an hour delay. A little while later an announcement was made to remain in the lounge. Followed half an hour later by another "please wait in the lounge" announcement.

By now a number of longhaul flights had departed so I decided to head back to the first lounge for some bubbles, figuring it would now be emptier. It was now just merely fairly full and the noise had decreased to a light din from the market trading floor level of racket previously. Not good.

The bubbles on offer had reduced in quality since my previous visits. Only Taittinger, Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin and Mumm's.

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:41 am

Qantas
First Class menu
Sydney First Class Lounge
May 2015

Autumn Breakfast Menu

Market Inspirations

Toasted banana bread with ricotta & honey

Quinoa & soya toast with avocado, smoked salmon & sprouts

Breakfast available until 11:30 am

Seasonal fruit salad

House toasted muesli

Bircher muesli

Shaw River buffalo milk yoghurt with figs, coconut and honey

Buttermilk pancakes with grilled plums and mascarpone

Croque monsieur with leg ham and Gruyere

Sweet corn fritters with bacon, avocado, creme fraiche & tomato jam

Wholegrain toasted sandwich with bacon, lettuce, tomato & aioli

Bread

Your selection of toasted Brasserie Bread with condiments

Sourdough, granary, ciabatta or fruit bread

Raspberry, Apricot or Strawberry jam

Orange marmalade, Honey or Vegemite

Free Range Organic Eggs

Eggs Florentine

Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon or leg ham

Whole egg omelette with leg ham, gruyere & chives

Egg white omelette with roast capsicum, ricotta & oregano

Signature Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with bacon, pork chipolata, hash brown & roast tomato

Light Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with wilted spinach, field mushrooms & roast tomato

Eggs Only Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried on toast

Available from 10 : 30 AM

Seasonal soup of the day

Buffalo mozzarella with heirloom tomatoes & basil

Salt & pepper squid with green chilli dipping sauce & aioli

Club sandwich with chicken, slow roasted tomatoes, bacon & aioli

Black angus minute steak with cafe de paris butter & chips

Mixed leaves with palm sugar vinaigrette

Bowl of chips

Beverages

Coffee

Cinque Stelle by Vittoria

Tea

by T2

Cold Drinks

Fruit energiser

Freshly squeezed juice

Cocktails

Bellini - Champagne with peach nectar

Champagne

Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut

Taittinger Brut Reserve

Veuve Clicuot Ponsardin

G.H. Mumm Rose

Beer and Cider

James Boag's premium lager

James Boag's premium light

Hahn super dry

Stella Artois

Heineken

James Squire pale ale

Pipsqueak apple cider

White Wine and Rose

Carlei Green Vineyards Pinot Gris 2012, Cardinia Ranges, Victoria

Wither Hills "Rarangi" Sauvignon Blanc 2012, Marlborough, New Zealand

Kilikanoon "Mort's Block" Riesling 2014, Clare Valley, South Australia

Meerea Park "Hell Hole" Semillon 2014, Hunter Valley, New South Wales

Leeuwin Estate "Prelude" Chardonnay 2013, Margaret River, Western Australia

Phillip Shaw "Pink Billy" Rose 2014, Orange, New South Wales

Red Wine

Heemskerk Pinot Noir 2012, Derwent Valley & Coal River Valley, Tasmania

St Hallett "Butcher's Cart" Shiraz 2012, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Hentley Farm Shiraz 2014, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Wynn's Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon 2012, Coonawarra, South Australia

Reschke "Vitulus" Cabernet Sauvignon 2010, Coonawarra, South Australia

Petaluma Merlot 2012, Coonawarra, South Australia

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:43 am

Sydney to Los Angeles (SYD-LAX) on Qantas A380-800 in business

There were further delays before boarding. When it was called in the lounge it was well underway at the gate. This is how it should be. Even with a full flight there is no need to board early (except in USA and certain other flights where overhead bin space is an issue). Menus were waiting on the seat along with headphones. As soon as I was seated I was offered pajamas and amenity kit, plus pre-departure beverage (again a choice of water, orange juice or champagne) and a bottle of water. Breakfast orders were taken before departure (separate card to fill out) along with lunch small and main plate options. Once everyone had boarded there was a further 30 minute delay to complete paperwork. I guess they wanted to make sure everyone was aboard at the moment the flight was cleared to go.

We pushed back nearly 3 hours late. Apparently an engine fault had been detected when the aircraft landed from Dubai earlier in the morning, but it had been fixed without cancelling the flight. I wasn't worried about my onward flight - in the worst case I would be rebooked on American, and they have many flights to my destination for "today" (actually arriving next day). Still, I hoped to continue on with Qantas because I was looking forward to visiting the fairly new Qantas first lounge at LAX TBIT. Even there, I had a backup plan for I have other transits through LAX in this itinerary and so could visit later if needed, albeit at a cost of two unnecessary security screenings (shudder).

The cabin was chocker full. Service was great, for the most part. Several reassuring announcements on everyone being rebooked for connecting flights, albeit light on details. There were two separate incidents on board requiring medical attention, after about an hour and a few hours later. Presumably they were taken care of and not serious for there was no detour to NZ, Fiji, or Honolulu.

Not long after the first course of lunch was served we encountered moderate turbulence - bad enough to encourage you to quickly drink the rest of your glass of beverage before the rest of it spills on the table or down you, but not so bad that things fall out of overhead bins or roll down the aisles. Nonetheless service was suspended for about 90 minutes, and it took 3 hours for lunch service to be completed. While retaining the number of courses the quantity of food has decreased - a small plate is tiny, nibble size, while the main plate is more the size of an entrée.

After watching a couple of movies I managed a few hours sleep. The seat is okay, although somewhat old fashioned in being forward facing in 2-2-2 layout. Most of the in-seat cubbyholes are fairly small. A bigger pocket in the back of the seat in front is too far away to reach without getting up.

Breakfast was served about 2 hours before landing. My suggestion is if you need to use the bathroom do so while breakfast is being served. After breakfast you can wait a loooong time. The passenger to bathroom ratio is high and because Qantas gives out pajamas some passengers take a long time to use the facilities.

We had made up only a small amount of time en route. Good news was that Qantas decided to hold the continuation flight (same flight number but different aircraft) despite the knock-on effects (for passengers flying back to Australia that night). It seems there are too many flying the US domestic leg to rebook everyone on American.

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 11:11 am

Qantas
Business Class menu
Sydney to Los Angeles
May 2015

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features one of these sumptious champagnes, Duval-Leroy Brut, Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve or Taittinger cuvee Prestige Brut.

Australian Wine

An awarded selection of premium Australian wines.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden

Cognac & Liqueurs

Cointreau, France

Beers

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

Espresso or plunger coffee

Menu

Small Plates

Broccoli soup with parmesan croutons

Roast duck and egg noodle salad with black funghi, cucumber, sesame, ginger and shallot dressing

Prawn ssam with kimchi, pickles and baby cos *

Parmesan beignets with herbed mascarpone and slow roasted balsamic tomatoes *

Main Plates

Spiced cauliflower, kale and potato with Gujarati dhal and roti

Chicken schnitzel and Swiss cheese toasted sandwich wih coleslaw *

Blue-eye trevalla with tomato and cardamom sauce, roasted eggplant, spinach and steamed rice

Stir fried beef with blistered peppers, asparagus, egg noodles and spicy black bean sauce

Braised lamb with green olives, glazed fennel, chickpea panisse and green peas

Salad of garden leaves with your choice of dressing

Dessert

Selection of cheese served with accompaniments

Panna cotta trifle with pear, balsamic and apple jelly

Maggie Beer ice cream

Seasonal fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona chocolates

Snacks

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight.

Whole seasonal fruit

Chocolate chip cookie

The Native Chip Company potato chips

Valrhona chocolates

Breakfast

To maximise your rest please complete the Breakfast order card.

* Available throughout your flight.

J7_11_15_17_93_95_AUS-USA_MAR15

Breakfast

Orange juice
Apple juice
Strawberry energiser

Express Breakfast

Apple and berry oat muffin served with your choice of a hot beverage

Continental Breakfast

Fruit salad
with yoghurt

Brookfarm toasted macadamia muesli with cranberries
with full cream milk
with low fat milk

Toast
Croissant
Apple and berry oat muffin

Berry jam
Honey
Marmalade
Vegemite

Full Breakfast

Continental plus hot option

Free range scrambled eggs on toast with mushrooms and slow roasted tomatoes

Smoked ocean trout, warm potato cakes, avocado and creme fraiche

Toasted banana bread, cinnamon and banana yoghurt with toasted pecans

Hot Beverages

FIX coffee
coffee
decaffeinated

Dilmah tea
English breakfast
Earl grey
Chamomile
Jasmine green
Peppermint

Milk
Full cream milk
Low fat milk

Sugar
Sugar
Low calorie sweetener

Hot chocolate

J7_11_15_17_93_95_AUS_BREAKFAST_MAR15

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 1:10 pm

Los Angeles transit

At the end of the airbridge I was given a red "express connection" card. Since I was entering on ESTA for which I had previously entered USA, I went straight to the automated passport control kiosks. There wasn't a queue and I was soon on my way with receipt for the final check by an officer. At this point I thought I will have plenty of time to visit the Qantas first lounge because I'd be back airside much quicker than other passengers including those seated way down the back in economy, were using visitor lines for immigration, had bags to take collect and re-check after customs, were unable to use priority lanes at security, etc. The expected departure was 1 hour and 50 minutes after our arrival. That should be plenty of time for a short lounge visit.

Here it started going wrong as I was misdirected by a blue vest away from the kiosk exit lane into the regular visitor line. By now this was long because many of those who could not use the kiosk (or did not know they could use it) had reached the line while I was at the kiosk. This was compounded by the usual issue of only a small number of immigration officers and some of them leaving their posts. At one point there was only one immigration officer dealing with a queue of well over 100 visitors.

When I finally reached the front of the queue I was required to again give my fingerprints and take another photo. Clearly the officer was working from rote rather than engaging the brain. He was unhappy when I responded to his question about where my customs form was with "I don't think you need one when using the kiosk". This then lead to some more questions. Based on his tone I was starting to wonder if I would get retaliatory secondary. After a few minutes of questioning he abruptly ceased and I was allowed to go. So much for a quick immigration process - it took nearly an hour.

On the other hand, customs was the usual quick walk through with barely a pause to hand over the stamped receipt. There was a long queue of connecting passengers with bags to recheck. At least 100 people. I should get to the lounge after all.

Since my previous visit an entrance to security had opened up on the T4 side of the terminal. The priority lane saved quite a bit of time and I was very quickly through security. The opt out went as smoothly as it has ever done and I made my way to the Qantas first lounge (turn left after security and take the lift up one level).

At the lounge I was told boarding would be in about 10 to 15 minutes. Long enough to have a quick look around, but not long enough for a shower (or a sit down meal). The lounge is quite nice - similar décor to the Sydney and Melbourne lounges. The food offering is also similar, although not as good. At this hour of day there are not many Oneworld flights so fairly meager offerings although sit-down breakfast was still available. No computers and not many tables convenient for working at.

I left the lounge slightly early to look for a currency exchange but was unable to find it despite referring to terminal maps. Perhaps it is landside as the location appeared to be where security is?

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 1:11 pm

Qantas
First Class menu
Los Angeles First Class Lounge
May 2015

Spring Breakfast Menu

Breakfast

Seasonal fruit salad

La Brea toasted muesli

Bircher muesli

Chobani yoghurt with honey, banana and coconut

Buttermilk pancakes with berries, whipped butter and maple syrup

Croque monsieur with leg ham and Gruyere

Breads

Your selection of toasted La Brea Bread with condiments

Sourdough, multigrain or pecan & raisin bread

Selection of pastries

Jam condiments

Vegemite

Free Range Organic Eggs

Whole egg omelette with ham, mushroom and gruyere

Egg white omelette with tomato, wilted spinach and ricotta

Light Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with wilted spinach, field mushrooms and roast tomato

Big Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried with bacon, pork chipolata, and roast tomato

Eggs Only Breakfast; two eggs poached, scrambled or fried on toast

Beverages

Coffee Cinque Stelle by Vittoria
Short black
Long black
Cappuccino
Flat white
Cafe latte
Vittoria hot chocolate

Tea by Steven Smith Teamaker
Brahmin - full leaf black tea
Lord Bergamot - black tea scented with bergamot
Mao Feng Shui - full leaf green tea
Jasmine Silver Tip - green tea scented with jasmine blossom
Peppermint Leaves - herbal infusion
Meadow - camomile, hyssop, rose petal & linden flower
Fez - green tea, spearmint & Australian lemon myrtle

Cold Drinks

Cranberry juice
Orange juice
Iced tea

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 1:52 pm

Los Angeles to New York JFK (LAX-JFK) on Qantas 747-400 in business

This is an odd flight. It is a US domestic flight but only passengers who fly Qantas into LAX (or out of LAX if headed in the opposite direction) can book it. A stopover in LAX is allowed. The oneworld around the world online booking tool however only offers the flight for same day connections. Sydney to New York is a single flight number, i.e. direct flight, but there is a change of aircraft type at LAX which makes seat selection and upgrade requests somewhat tricky. Passengers do not have to take the SYD flight in order to fly to/from JFK - BNE and MEL are okay too, as was AKL back when Qantas flew between New Zealand and USA. The flight numbers and operational aircraft have changed many times over the years.

Anyway, back to the trip. By the time I reached the gate boarding was well in progress. I had hoped to board reasonably early for I had selected a seat in the nose (to avoid the 2-3-2 layout in the main lower deck business class cabin and the stairs for the upper deck cabin) and I know 747 overhead bin space is limited in the nose. Fortunately my bag is small so I managed to squeeze it in to the bin with spare blankets and pillows.

At my seat was the menu but no headsets. It looked like whoever was tasked with putting noise cancelling headsets in the business class seats had skipped the nose cabin. It turned out the passenger seated beside me was the same as for the flight into LAX. He didn't have status (at least with Oneworld) so while I got my choice of meal, there was only one option left for him :(

Pre-departure drinks (again a choice of water, orange juice and bubbles), and this time a second glass was offered. Boarding completed quickly, well ahead of the delayed departure time. According to flightstats we then pushed back. However in reality we waited about 45 minutes after the doors shut before we moved from the gate. There were frequent announcements apologizing for the delay, and we could all sense the growing frustration of the captain. Especially when he said "who knows when we will actually leave L.A. because American Airlines control this lane between terminals and are prioritizing their own aircraft". Eventually we left, by now some 3 hours late. So much for making up time en route across the Pacific and again in the transit.

After the usual queue to take off we departed out over the sea before a loop around to head northeast. First service was a small snack - pretzel/nut thing so common in USA but unknown most other airlines. And of course a drink. Then lunch. This was okay but a bit on the small size and also quite bland tasting.

Service wasn't great - more like overnight economy than daytime business. Call button requests were ignored for half an hour or more and after the meal was completed crew did not do any walk through of the cabin to see if people wanted another drink or anything else.

I watched a couple of movies and caught myself dozing a couple of times despite efforts to remain awake so as to adjust to local time (after all we now will be arriving well into the evening instead of the afternoon).

We had some nice views of New York before landing, followed by a long taxi to complete a full circuit of all of the terminals to reach our gate.

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 1:54 pm

Qantas
Business Class menu
Los Angeles to New York JFK
May 2015

Beverages

Champagne

Today's menu features one of these sumptious champagnes, Duval-Leroy Brut, Jacquart Brut Mosaique, Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve or Taittinger cuvee Prestige Brut.

Australian Wine

An awarded selection of premium Australian wines.

Aperitif

Bloody Mary
Campari and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Ginger Beer

Spirits

Absolut Vodka, Sweden

Cognac & Liqueurs

Cointreau, France

Beers

Dessert & Fortified Wine

Non Alcoholic

Juice
Soft drink
Mineral water

Hot Drinks

Espresso or plunger coffee

Lunch

Main Plates

Roasted beetroot salad with quinoa, pine nuts and goat's cheese

Toasted Reuben on rye with sauerkraut

Big bowl of spiced chicken and basmati rice with cumin yoghurt

Green leaf salad with your choice of dressing

Dessert

Selection of cheese served with accompaniments

Cherry, chocolate and hazelnut crumble with cream

Seasonal fruit

Chocolates

Valrhona chocolates

Snacks

Enjoy a range of snacks and drinks at any time throughout your flight.

Whole seasonal fruit

Passionfruit melting moments

Bovetti artisan chocolate bar

J11_LAX-JFK_MAR15

Blackcloud May 5, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks for posting.
Does not sound like you have had an enjoyable experience so far.
Did you think that you would be diverted when you heard the medical issues on the trans-Pacific?

Kiwi Flyer May 5, 2015 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud (Post 24772688)
Thanks for posting.
Does not sound like you have had an enjoyable experience so far.
Did you think that you would be diverted when you heard the medical issues on the trans-Pacific?

No. I've had the call for medical assistance onboard dozens of times (if not hundreds) and not yet had a diversion for medial reasons. I figure the odds are we won't be diverting.