Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Fat And Furious: A Gluttonous Tour Of Japan (SQ Suites, ANA 787, RC Kyoto and more!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fat And Furious: A Gluttonous Tour Of Japan (SQ Suites, ANA 787, RC Kyoto and more!)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Platinum Zirconium in Life, aeroplan, FB, Avios, IHG
Keep it coming! The robot show is definitely on my list!
Old May 10, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Wow what an "out there" place!! I've been debating japan thinking "what's there to do?" But you're answering that question for me quite nicely. Sorry if already mentioned but did you go during a festival period?? I quite like festivals. Or is this just cherry blossom season and the norm for japan? Eg dressed up people in go karts etc?

The island (matsuyama?) had loads of character, my kind of place.

Never really thought of japan as a food destination before. I had a mochi thing once in vietnam and it was one of the weirdest textured most delicious sweets ever! I've had Japanese but it doesn't seem to compare to what you're devouring!

Your trip report is better than anything on tripadvisor. So often it's "yeah it was good!" etc which barely tells you anything about a place.

I'll have to put it on the bucket list. I think my partner would love it! Lots of homework to do prior though by the looks of it.

Thank you
Old May 11, 2015, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What a wonderfully delicious trip! I can only pray that if and when I finally get around to spending a week or three in Japan (gotta get out the Rosetta Stone CDs first!) I could do so in a style even half as nice as yours. Thanks for the tasty tour!
Old May 12, 2015, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
Keep it coming! The robot show is definitely on my list!
Cool! It's definitely a one-of-a-kind experience

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Wow what an "out there" place!! I've been debating japan thinking "what's there to do?" But you're answering that question for me quite nicely. Sorry if already mentioned but did you go during a festival period?? I quite like festivals. Or is this just cherry blossom season and the norm for japan? Eg dressed up people in go karts etc?

The island (matsuyama?) had loads of character, my kind of place.

Never really thought of japan as a food destination before. I had a mochi thing once in vietnam and it was one of the weirdest textured most delicious sweets ever! I've had Japanese but it doesn't seem to compare to what you're devouring!

Your trip report is better than anything on tripadvisor. So often it's "yeah it was good!" etc which barely tells you anything about a place.

I'll have to put it on the bucket list. I think my partner would love it! Lots of homework to do prior though by the looks of it.

Thank you
Thanks, NZbutterfly! Glad that I could help showcase how much there is to see, do, and eat in Japan. I believe that the start of cherry blossom season is considered to be a festival period but in general I think that you can end up running into some of the cosplayers at any point in the year. It's really luck of the draw, but of course there's a higher probability in specific areas.

Happy that it's now on your bucket list, you'll love it!

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What a wonderfully delicious trip! I can only pray that if and when I finally get around to spending a week or three in Japan (gotta get out the Rosetta Stone CDs first!) I could do so in a style even half as nice as yours. Thanks for the tasty tour!
Thanks, Seat 2A! The Rosetta Stone would be very helpful - the general level of English spoken by people outside the hotel really varied and most of the time we were just ordering and praying for the best
Old May 12, 2015, 9:42 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What is your and your mate's Japanese fluency level? I have visited Japan and always found language to be a big barrier...
Old May 12, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agp423
What is your and your mate's Japanese fluency level? I have visited Japan and always found language to be a big barrier...
I took 4 years of Japanese in high school, but at this point my spoken abilities are down to "konnichiwa" and "arigato". I can read hiragana/katakana and also Chinese so can sort of interpret some of the kanji, but overall my fluency is probably at a pre-school level.

Agree that the language was a definitely a barrier, probably more-so than in any other country I've visited, but at the same time the people were so nice and went the extra mile to help us out.

And while there was no way to get around trouble understanding menus and ordering at restaurants, the hotspot rental and having a constant connection to Google maps was a godsend as we never really had to ask for directions.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:02 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfoactuary
I took 4 years of Japanese in high school, but at this point my spoken abilities are down to "konnichiwa" and "arigato". I can read hiragana/katakana and also Chinese so can sort of interpret some of the kanji, but overall my fluency is probably at a pre-school level.

Agree that the language was a definitely a barrier, probably more-so than in any other country I've visited, but at the same time the people were so nice and went the extra mile to help us out.

And while there was no way to get around trouble understanding menus and ordering at restaurants, the hotspot rental and having a constant connection to Google maps was a godsend as we never really had to ask for directions.
Ahh I see. Language is one of the biggest disincentives for me to visit Japan alone. There is a lot I want to see in the future, but I have to convince some Japanese-speaking friends to go with me.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Ahh I see. Language is one of the biggest disincentives for me to visit Japan alone. There is a lot I want to see in the future, but I have to convince some Japanese-speaking friends to go with me.
It really didn't cause me any issues. As with the OP I used a pocket wifi for maps, train times etc, but most signs in train stations, departments stores etc. have English on also.

People in the service industry had enough English for me to get buy, hotel staff had no problem speaking fluently. I found it the same as visiting any non English speaking country.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
I have to respectfully disagree. I went to Tokyo for the first time alone in 2011, did not speak the language and was able to get around fine. Went 3 more times after, to include Osaka/Kyoto and Tokyo again and it was absolutely one of the best place I have been to. Notwithstanding, hitting Istanbul, Seoul, and other places where I did not speak the language, was fine too.

I tend to believe most people are good in nature and more than willing to help if needed.

That said, thank you OP for the TR, looking forward to hitting Japan again.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
It really didn't cause me any issues. As with the OP I used a pocket wifi for maps, train times etc, but most signs in train stations, departments stores etc. have English on also.

People in the service industry had enough English for me to get buy, hotel staff had no problem speaking fluently. I found it the same as visiting any non English speaking country.
I think hotels and public places are fine, but if you want to experience the local culture, or grab some local food at a hole-in-wall place, it'll be more challenging.

Originally Posted by indo79
I have to respectfully disagree. I went to Tokyo for the first time alone in 2011, did not speak the language and was able to get around fine. Went 3 more times after, to include Osaka/Kyoto and Tokyo again and it was absolutely one of the best place I have been to. Notwithstanding, hitting Istanbul, Seoul, and other places where I did not speak the language, was fine too.

I tend to believe most people are good in nature and more than willing to help if needed.
There's really nothing to disagree with... I didn't say language is a reason people should avoid Japan, I just said not knowing the language is a disincentive to me. I had good experiences in Japan, but I found it more challenging to navigate than many other foreign places I've been to.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

... with all that said, this TR encouraged me to go to Japan. Just booked a trip to Tokyo!
Old May 13, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

... with all that said, this TR encouraged me to go to Japan. Just booked a trip to Tokyo!
Looking forward to your TR
Old May 13, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I'm flying on tues staying at the peninsula and the rc Kyoto. Did you prefer the peninsula to the Conrad? It was a tough call to decide...
Old May 13, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
I'm flying on tues staying at the peninsula and the rc Kyoto. Did you prefer the peninsula to the Conrad? It was a tough call to decide...
Yes, wasn't really close. Peninsula was a clear cut above. Enjoy the trip!
Old May 13, 2015, 12:17 pm

Cant wait to read about Dons de la Nature. Number One, by far, on my list of steak places to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.