Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong and Bangkok – BA A380 First and CW, Cathay First and Premium Econ, W Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong and Bangkok – BA A380 First and CW, Cathay First and Premium Econ, W Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:47 am

[QUOTE=louislitt;25999268] I look forward to reading the next part of the Trip Report. Hopefully it arrives before the next Star Wars movie does, although I am skeptical.

^^lol
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by louislitt
Hopefully it arrives before the next Star Wars movie does, although I am skeptical.
Originally Posted by ama208
^^lol
I'm going to assume that you are joking....
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
I was. louislitt's comment made me laugh. Put me in a good mood the rest of the day.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, B.A. Silver, Virgin Atlantic Gold, C.X. Diamond
About Star Wars. Never

Originally Posted by ama208
I was. louislitt's comment made me laugh. Put me in a good mood the rest of the day.
Haha thank you
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific Premium Economy – Bangkok to Hong Kong

After a great day and a great evening it was time to fly back to Hong Kong. I woke up a bit later than hoped and missed breakfast. My flight was at 1.10pm. I took at taxi from the hotel at about 10.30, thinking that it would probably take about an hour or so to get to the airport.

In the end traffic was light and after 45 minutes or so I was making my way into the terminal building. Check in was very easy, I used the business class check in and my bag was given a first class bag tag. I was also handed an invite for the arrivals lounge (which was kind, but I decided not to take them up on the offer).

At the check in desk the man checking in next to me said something about Flyertalk. I didn't catch who he was but mentioned catching up in the lounge. I never actually saw him again, so if that was you, sorry!

Entering the terminal

Checking in

Wandering to the lounge

Security was very quick as I used fast track. They do it properly in BKK with a totally separate security section for premium customers. I was soon on my way to the lounge. Bangkok airport is a maze isn’t it? I always find myself getting confused or lost, even the signs to the lounges are not very clear.

The CX lounge at the time (this was before the amazing new lounge opened) was a tiny cupboard located on concourse D. There was a warm welcome at reception but after entering the lounge and wandering around for a bit I decided that it wasn't for me and made my way to the (now closed) Qantas lounge.

CX lounge seating

CX lounge seating

Wandering to the lounge

Limited food options

I received a warm greeting at reception although they warned me that no announcements would be made for my flight.

I have fond memories of this lounge, in fact, entering any Qantas lounge brings back fond memories. I love the brand, I love the staff and I think that the overall product both on the ground and in the air is generally of a very high standard. Having lived in Australia for almost four years, the lounge carpet instantly made me think that I was back in Sydney!

The Qantas lounge was very spacious and very quiet. Yes, this would very much do as a place to relax before my flight. There was a full bar out so I decided to help myself to some sparkling wine and then found a chair in the corner to relax in.

Qantas lounge entrance

Main area of the lounge

Food and drink

Still serving breakfast

Drink selection

Wines

My cosy corner

And relax…

At 12.30 I decided to take the trek to the gate and passed the old BA First lounge in the process. This is the space that was turned into the fantastic new CX lounge. What I saw at the time was just a completely empty space with holes in the floor. It had been completely gutted, quite a difference from its heyday.

The gate area was pretty busy and boarding had not yet started. I did look out for the FTer that I spoke to at check in but couldn't see him.

I only had to wait a few minutes before boarding was announced. Due to my frequent flyer status I was able to board in the first group and made my way down the air bridge towards the waiting A330.

Gutted ex BA First lounge

Ethiopian 787 at a nearby gate

My aircraft – CX A330

Busy gate area

I couldn't get a business class redemption on this flight so had to settle with premium economy. I'd never flown PE on CX so at least I would get to try something new. In fact, this flight completes my CX collection. I've now flown in all classes with Cathay Pacific.

Getting settled in I had a look around the seat. I was sat in 30A which is in the front row, just behind business. I've previously flown premium with BA and Qantas and have found that Qantas consistently beats the pants off BA in all areas. The Cathay Pacific seat seemed ok, perhaps not as spacious width wise as the Qantas seat. There was a wide arm rest with space for a drink and a foot rest which pops up out of the bottom of the seat. On the seat was a blanket and headphones. The IFE screen came out of the arm rest although this was a little awkward.

My seat (window) 30A

A view of the rest of the cabin

Leg room

A view across the cabin

Looking out over the wing after take off

Our Australian captain for this flight announced a short flying time of just two hours and seven minutes. After that the doors were closed and we were on our way. We taxied past a QR A380 which surprised me as I hadn't realised that they were flying their A380 to BKK (this actually inspired a trip later in the year).

After take off the service started pretty quickly. The ISM came back to premium economy with a bottle of water to welcome me on board which was a very nice touch. As I BA Gold card holder I don't even get this on BA so it was a surprise for it to happen on a regional CX flight.

This flight offered a full meal service and it was definitely more of an economy style meal rather than the semi-business class offerings that other carriers offer in premium economy. This could have simply been because of the short flight duration. Anyway, the beef rendang that was served was really good!

After lunch I went for a quick wander to check out economy before settling down for landing.

Lunch – beef rendang - yum

Economy

We were on stand at 4.45 pm and I was soon out through immigration in the baggage hall. My bag came out first which was great. I hopped on the airport express and was soon checking into my final stop on this trip, the W.

Up Next

A couple of nights at the W Hong Kong

Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
This must be the longest running TR on FT...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu1985
This must be the longest running TR on FT...
And all of the support that I'm getting is really motivating me to finish it...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:08 am

You should finish it because you want to, not because the forum wants you to. Call me old fashioned but I think that if anyone is going to write a TR then they should finish it within a reasonable timeframe. Others may think differently though!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: Meh
You should finish it because you want to, not because the forum wants you to. Call me old fashioned but I think that if anyone is going to write a TR then they should finish it within a reasonable timeframe. Others may think differently though!
Ease up pal. This is not Matt's job, and he gives his time to the forum already. I really enjoy his TR's and can wait in good time.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:18 am

Oh, I enjoy them as well. Don't get me wrong. He just teases us by keeping the next instalments back
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Others do think differently. Not sure why you think you have the right to have a go at someone like this when they are writing TRs in their own time. Perhaps some reflection needed on your attitude here.

When you start paying people to write TRs perhaps then you can start enforcing some stu1985 imposed time limit
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
An enjoyable update matthandy, thanks for posting! CX Premium Economy seats look OK, but the catering presentation could be improved beyond what is served in Y.

The gutted space that is now the CX lounge in BKK was just the plain old BA lounge (not an F lounge as such), although before that it was the joint BA/QF First lounge.

Looking forward to the conclusion of this report
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE

At the check in desk the man checking in next to me said something about Flyertalk. I didn't catch who he was but mentioned catching up in the lounge. I never actually saw him again, so if that was you, sorry!
That was me. Unfortunately I never made it to lounge, CX agents had issues with my BA issued ticket. They could not tag my luggage to BKK-SIN-LHR-OSL, but only to HKG. I ended up spending some 50 minutes at the counter. Well, at the end, I got 150USD service recovery vouchers to ease the pain...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thanks for taking the time to finish your well polished trip reports matthandy I really do enjoy them.^
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Others do think differently. Not sure why you think you have the right to have a go at someone like this when they are writing TRs in their own time. Perhaps some reflection needed on your attitude here.

When you start paying people to write TRs perhaps then you can start enforcing some stu1985 imposed time limit
Terribly sorry KARFA for having an opinion. "Attitude" duly reflected upon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.