Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong and Bangkok – BA A380 First and CW, Cathay First and Premium Econ, W Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong and Bangkok – BA A380 First and CW, Cathay First and Premium Econ, W Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Looking forward to this trip while I sit in the W Hotel working....... (massive jet lag!). Extremely lucky on being upgraded to First - must have been a pleasant surprise

Hope you enjoy HK and Bangkok!!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 3:14 pm

Great upgrade! I can't imagine the excitement of that surprise. I remember we were flying coach from EWR-BCN and our friend was giving us 2 upgrades on United to the front of the bus. We kept refreshing the United app to see if we cleared, but it wasn't a surprise to us!

Super pictures.

Did you watch any movies?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
The pictures in this are simply amazing. What camera are you employing to take these shots?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: Meh
Love that picture of HK island from the aircraft. Great TR - looking forward to the rest.

BA should employ your photographic skills.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:44 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Another cracking TR, matthandy!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

New Year Fireworks, Dragon’s Back, Shek O Beach and Hong Kong Disney

I arrived at my friend’s apartment and dumped my stuff. I have to admit that I was a little bit surprised about how small it was! But then again, this is Hong Kong and I should have expected it. The view however was amazing. I had a full 180 degree view across the harbour and even looking towards Central. It was amazing and the perfect place to watch the fireworks. No crowds, a fridge well stocked with Champagne and food and great company!

The view

Looking left towards Central

Looking across to TST

As it was a little early we went out to have something to eat and ended up in Times Square. My friends knew a fantastic Szechuan place and we over indulged somewhat. Luckily it wasn't too spicy. We headed back to the apartment via a local place to collect some char siu for the party later.

We didn't waste any time starting on the Champagne even though it would be a couple of hours before the other guests arrived. It was a small group, only five of us, perfect.

Wan Chai

Jamie gets everywhere

Local eatery

Table spread

At midnight the fireworks started with a countdown appearing on the ICC building across the harbour. The fireworks were pretty good, quite understated but I understand that the big celebrations happen at Chinese New Year.

We watched the fireworks out on the balcony and with me snapping away with my camera on a tripod. The Dom Perignon was opened just before midnight to ensure that we could celebrate the 2015 in style!

Welcome to 2015!

Lovely drop of Dom Perignon 2004

I think that we ended up going to bed at about 2am which wasn't too bad really.

I woke to beautiful sunshine at about 10 and didn't feel too jetlagged or hung over which was a bonus. We'd discussed what to do on New Year's day and decided that a nice walk/hike was in order. There is a trail called Dragon's Back which would take us through Shek O Country Park to the south east of Hong Kong island. We took a taxi to the start of the trail which was near the prison (nice) and then began our trek.

I was expecting it to be a little easier if I'm honest but then I'm not very fit. There were some very steep sections. Luckily we'd bought lots of water with us. The temperature was a rather pleasant 22 degrees but with the sun beating down it felt a lot warmer.

The trail was rather busy with big groups of tourists getting the way too. It seems as though some of the walkers didn't seem to understand that if they were walking two abreast it was good manners to fall back to single file to let people past. Rather rude.

The pay-off for all of that walking was the spectacular view across Shek O beach and the South China Sea. It a side of Hong Kong that I'd never really seen or appreciated before, so much green space, a beaches!

Good morning- New Year's Day

Walking the Dragon's Back

Paragliding – this guy stayed up for at least an hour riding the thermals

The view over the South China Sea

Onwards to the summit

After reaching the summit we made our way down to the road and caught the bus to Shek O beach. This was a definite first for me. A beach in Hong Kong! I thought that it was fantastic and I couldn't help but take my shoes and socks off and paddle in the water. Ok, so it was freezing but refreshing. There were a couple of people in the water swimming. We assumed that they must be British!

We lazily took a taxi back to Wan Chai, got showered and changed and then went out to get some early dinner. My hosts were Canadian but had spent a lot of time in the US and UK and found a burger place about 10 minutes' walk from their apartment. It was more kiosk style and it wasn't cheap at all! Three burgers and drinks cost me about £40. The burgers were pretty good, but not as amazing as I'd hoped to be honest.

We made our way back to the apartment to relax for a bit before heading out again to have a few drinks across the harbour. We visited Aqua Bar and Felix at the Peninsula. Shattered, we got the ferry back and I slept like a log waking up rather late again in the morning.

Shek O beach

Shek O

Nice view, freezing water

Butchers Club

Early evening haze

1881 shopping centre

In the morning my friend had to go to work (haha) leaving two of us to work out what to do for the day. My friend's partner is a Disney fan and had a platinum pass. I have fond memories of holidays to Florida as a child and since I hadn't been to Disney Land in Hong Kong before we agreed to pay a visit for the day.

It took us a while to get up, have a late breakfast and get out of the apartment so we didn't arrive until about 1pm. This was way too late as the park was very busy. We should have got up earlier and tried to arrive when the park opened. The time of year didn't help either of course as a lot of people were still on holiday.

Anyway, the first ride was Space Mountain. I remember going on this in Florida. Of course it wasn't the same, it was much smaller but it was enjoyable enough. It took us about 30 minutes to queue for though.

We then sought out some lunch and ended up at some fast food style place nearby. Wow it was awful. I had some fried chicken thing which was so greasy it was as though they'd managed to fill the chicken with oil before frying it in, oil. Really terrible. Disney should just allow the proper fast food chains to set up in the park rather than trying to copy. Of course, I realise that they won't do this.

After lunch we wandered around the park and went to go and have a look to see what other rides we could get on. The runaway mine train rollercoaster had a 90 minute wait for both single riders and the normal queue, grrr. We gave up on that and ended up going to see the Lion King show. The Platinum pass that my friend has allowed us to stand right by the entrance doors to secure the best seats once opened. This was quite a perk as we literally walked past hundreds of people that were held in groups a good 100 metres or so back from the entrance. Priority boarding at it's best.

Disney!

Mickey

Somewhat vertically challenged castle

Runaway mine train

Lion King show

Lion King show

Simba

Actually, despite being sceptical, the show was quite enjoyable. Lots of songs and special effects including a rather huge robotic Simba. My niece and nephew would have loved it. Speaking of which, I stood in front of the castle and Facetimed my niece to see if she would recognise the castle and the Mickey ears close by. She did and started jumping up and down, she was so excited!

After that we spent some more time wandering around and looking at the rides but I was frustrated to find that the queues were so long. We worked our way around to 'It's a Small World'. Well, we couldn't skip it could we? Well, it was pretty much the only ride with a decent queue time. It was a bit disappointing. Maybe such things are more exciting as a child.

It was dark and we decided to leave the park and head back to the city to meet friends for drinks. Before leaving I wanted to buy a Mickey and Minnie soft toy for my niece and nephew. Wow, I've never seen anything like it. People were going crazy in the gift shop, filling their baskets with stuff. It wasn't disordered, just a bit surreal. It took me about 25 minutes just to pay as the queues were so long. Hmm.

Back to the island on the MTR and then we jumped into a taxi to go up to the mid-levels. I'd heard that this was very much the ex-pat area and that was absolutely evident with the number of Western faces almost hitting 100%. I don't normally like going to such places, I don't see the point but it was fine for a couple of drinks. For dinner we ended up at an American diner which was really excellent. Again not cheap, but well worth it.

It's a Small World – stereo typs galore!

It's a Small World

The castle at night

The diner

Lots of steps

Up Next

Meeting up with a fellow FTer, Lantau Island and the magical Tai-O fishing village
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist
Matthandy excellent report as always. You are my TR idol!

Interesting that Disney HK doesn't allow outside fast food outlets in. McDonalds products (fries for example) have been sold for at least 5 years at WDW in Florida.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report! Please don't keep us waiting for the next parts
Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Great photos of the fireworks and hope I can take some as good when I'm in HKG for another new year, Chinese New Year, next week. I'd thought about watching from Kowloon side but your pictures may convinced me to stay island side as it would be easier to get back to my hotel in Western after the show is over and the crowds disperse.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:21 pm

Amazing photos! I was in HK over the same period, and it was some of the best weather I've experienced there, ever!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Very enjoyable so far and some good photos. I will get to try BA A380 F later this year so good to see what it will be like.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
When can we expect the next parts?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:39 am

great TR. Thanks.
How many hours did you need for the trail. I want to do the same in March.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Chaosmax
great TR. Thanks.
How many hours did you need for the trail. I want to do the same in March.
When I did it, the Hong Kong tourist board organised a free day trip. Started around 9am and finished around 3pm. If they still do it, I recommend going with them.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:26 am

Thanks for the advice. But I prefer doing it on my own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.