Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Australia, the farewell tour: NSW Coast, Great Ocean Road, Tasmania then SYD-LHR in F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia, the farewell tour: NSW Coast, Great Ocean Road, Tasmania then SYD-LHR in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Aha! There is that I guess ...

Last edited by serfty; Feb 14, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Very enjoyable read. I've always wondered if I moved back to the U.K. from Canada whether doing a farewell tour would be a good idea. I'd be afraid of perhaps having second thoughts.
Well I tried to visit places that I've either been to before and enjoyed or haven't visited at all on the basis that I may not return. I am visiting Sydney in April this year. I can't see myself visiting for a holiday now and again.

I definitely had second thoughts, but wasn't sure if that was just the fact that I was enjoying the two months off work!

Originally Posted by vbh812
Thank you for a wonderful TR ...nothing but the best from matthandy!
Thanks very much vbh812!

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Sydney is stunning with the harbour and beaches, but as someone who lives and works in the burbs - Sydney is hard to get around, the traffic is a nightmare, the public transport is next to useless unless you live on a direct train line or in the inner city, and there are no nice shopping streets, its all malls and not much else.
Have to agree with you. Sydney definitely needs to sort out it's public transport. For me though the harbour is such a significant feature. I think I'd get water withdrawal if I lived in MEL.

Originally Posted by Genius1
I haven't read much about Tasmania before, so it was interesting to read your thoughts matthandy. It's certainly very picturesque! I must try and visit when I next visit Australia.
Certainly worth a visit!

Originally Posted by OttoMH
Another fantastic TR, matthandy!
Thanks OttoMH.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
The beaches look beautiful but with all the sharks and jelly fish etc I would be too scared to go for a swim.
It's all about timing and everything is well signposted. Sharks aren't really a problem to be honest. Some beaches have shark nets and patrols. Jellyfish are another matter. I wouldn't venture into the water with them around, but some people do. Mostly down south you are fine it's the tropical areas that have a bigger issue.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Absolutely beautiful images. The twelve Apostles are on the list for sure now!!
Thanks worldtraveller73. They are a must do if you are in Victoria.

Originally Posted by eightblack
Full disclosure though - I am a Melbourne boy so you can bang on all you want about the virtues of living in Sydney (I lived there for a couple of years). Terrible place. Nary a dim sim to be found in the place, Tooheys tastes like it has been filtered though an old mans underpants and their version of excitement is when 11,000 people show up to watch something called Rugby.

I recently did MEL-LHR on QF F (via the Sand Pit) and thoroughly enjoyed it. You will have a great time.
You are so wrong eightblack . Who drinks Tooheys in Sydney? Craft beers are the way forward now. No Dim Sum? How about China town, or the fact that Din Tai Fung (the world's tastiest dumplings apparently) have their only Australian restaurants in NSW? Rugby? How about the start of the Sydney to Hobart.....

I did thoroughly enjoy the flight back in F, so we'll agree on that .

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Beautifully photographed and nicely written, Mr. Handy. Even a perpetually angry trip reporter like myself had to stifle a smile as I looked over the beautiful visages, especially those from Tasmania, my favorite island anywhere in the world. I look forward to reading of your Qantas flight back to London. ^^
Such praise from a master! Thank you Seat 2A. hopefully I don't disappoint.

Originally Posted by serfty
Thoroughly enjoying the report.As a FTer and a BAEC Gold I am surprised you appear not to have used the MEL Qantas Domestic Business Lounge before your Qantas flight back to SYD.
More faith please . I was only Oneworld Sapphire at the time, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Jailer
Abfab
Thanks Jailer.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Tasmania – Bay of Fires and Hobart

The morning was glorious. I had a rough plan of where to head to and started at Binalong Bay. I had no idea what to expect, what was this ‘Bay of Fires’? Where did that name came from. I was soon to find out.

I randomly chose a spot to park, a couple of spaces near to a beach area and then headed down the small path to the water’s edge. Wow, just wow. A beautiful beach with soft white sand, a bright blue ocean, beaming sunshine, a crystal clear flowing water from the stream, beautiful greenery and stunning red topped rocks. I’d never seen anything like it. The best part was, the place was pretty much deserted.

Wow – Binalong Bay

Crystal clear water

The water meets the ocean

After picking my jaw up off the floor I went back towards the car to explore the rest of the coastline around the area. All of the rocks in the area were covered with lichens which gives them an amazing orange hue. It’s quite something. I couldn’t stop taking photos. It really was stunning, certainly of the same order of magnitude as the Twelve Apostles, different though obviously.

See for yourself.

Stunning

Rocky outcrop

The beach

Rough weather

Tannin stained lake

Tannin stained lake

Beautiful

Orange outcrop

Beautiful view over the beach

After pretty much using up all of my camera battery on taking in the scenery I got back into the car and made my way down to Freycinet National Park. The plan was to visit Wineglass Bay lookout. However, after the 100km drive I got to the entrance to the park and found out two things that made me turn around. One, there’s a large entrance fee (around $25) and the walk to Wineglass Bay is around 3 hours return. I didn’t really have the time and the weather had turned anyway, so I gave up and carried on down to Hobart. This was another two hours drive.

I had booked into the Hotel Grand Chancellor for the night. I parked the car and made my way to reception I was informed that I’d been upgraded, however the way that the receptionist framed up was as if I should be eternally grateful. I was grateful, but if she was going to have an attitude about how ‘lucky’ I was then I would have rather not have been.

Anyway, the room was really good. It was a suite, with views over the harbour. I was only staying the one night so I didn’t really make full use of the room or the facilities of the hotel but it seemed rather nice and somewhat upmarket.

Lounge area

Bedroom

View over the harbour

Before finding somewhere for dinner I took a wander around the harbour area. It was quiet but there were a couple of bars and restaurant around that seemed rather lively. I ended up eating the Drunken Admiral which as you can guess, is a seafood restaurant. The food was ok, not particularly amazing. I’m not sure that I can fully recommend it.

The next day was my last day in Tasmania. I’d planned to visit the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA) in the morning and then wander around Hobart in the afternoon before heading to the airport for my flight at 7.35pm.

I’d not heard much about the museum other than it looked rather ‘cool’. The museum is located a short distance from the city and the easiest way to visit is by ferry. This takes about 25 minutes and tickets can be bought on the wharf near to my hotel. This was no ordinary ferry for no ordinary museum. There are two classes available for travel. One gets you to the front and access to the free with included drinks. The other, cheaper, allows you to sit at the back and gives access to the outside deck. I went for the cheaper option. There’s still a bar, if you fancy, you just have to pay.

View over the harbour - daytime

By the water’s edge

The ferry

Quote of the day – by the bar

The ferry journey was great and upon arrival we made our way into the museum. From the outside, there’s not a lot to see. The museum you see, is almost all underground.

I don’t mind the odd museum but usually I get bored after an hour or so. Either too much reading or it’s just too big. This place was something else. I’d describe it as the Bond bunker of museums. It’s dark, intentially so. Exhibits are hidden and sneak up on you. You can hear noises but can’t fathom where they are coming from. A dark red curtain hides a room that you never knew was there. In short, this is literally the most stunning, the most surprising and the most entertaining art museum that I’ve ever visited. It’s a destination in it’s own right.

Some of the exhibits that took my fancy included a water feature that spells out political topics as droplets falling from the ceiling, a spooky room full of empty arm chairs and TVs, a massive hall filled with huge screens displaying randomly changing code as if the machine has a mind of it’s own and a reproduction of the human digestive system, complete with a distinctive pungent smell.

Water feature

Masks

Spooky TV room

Smashed

The digestive system

Machine code

The white room

After sensory overload I ended up back up top and decided to grab something to eat. There’s a nice cafe with an outdoor lawn with views over the water. I went for the traditional pie and then took a wander around outside. There was some sort of music event going on and it was clear that this was a popular place for cultural events in Hobart. There was art outside too, although not as spectacular as inside.

I watched the ferry arrive and then took it back to the city. I still had a good few hours to burn and spent the time walking around the city, mostly around the old part, near Salamanca Place. There was an outdoor market going on and I treated myself to a nice ice cream.

Yummy pie

Bit tight

Here comes the ferry

The drive back to the airport was straight forward. I dropped off the car with the friendly guys there and then went to check in at the Jetstar desks. Self check in done, bag dropped and through security which was quick and easy. There’s a lounge but as I was travelling on Jetstar my BA status didn’t count for anything so I ‘slummed it’ in the main departure area.

The flight ended up being delayed for technical reasons and actually when we got on board, a fire engine was parked next to the wing, never a good sign of course. After about an hour we made our way to the runway and then my Tasmania adventure was over.

Check in

view from the wing

Up Next

My last few days in Sydney including a visit to Fort Denison and Cockatoo Island.

Old Feb 17, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Great TR. love MONA too, our son works there so have been the past three years.^
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:09 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I'm bloody going. You have reminded me that Tasi is on my short list for a walking holiday and there's also my quest to find the reclusive and believed extinct Tasmanian tiger. We only get over to Oz during our summer/their winter and need to find a way to reverse that: kids and their school/sports' commitments can be such a travel-kill.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Tasmania is now firmly on my to-visit list. Spectacular images matthandy ^
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold AVIS Presidents Club
Great reports. Tnx Matt . Good luck with the Pong back to UK. As someone who has Ping Ponged and Pinged again I hope you find your Karma in the UK. We didnt. Family couldnt cope and I now commute PRG - MEL regularly. Lifestyle v family.... An interesting conundrum and one which most never face in their corporate, take family for granted, stay at home lives. Oz - once visited never forgotten. Good luck shutting that gate. Look forward to a @life in the Uk report' down the track. My advice - Dont watch SŁy news or consider the UK weather as important; both consistently boast the same depressing message - move to Australia.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Exquisite TR ^

You've captured the spirit of Australia in those photos - brilliant!

Looking forward to your F trip. We're doing QF F SYD-LHR-SYD in April ... making our way to IST for the 100th ANZAC Service.

Best of British.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: NZ Silver; BA blue; Velocity red; Qantas Silver
Great report and photos Matt. I was in Tassie last year and did a similar trip to yours but over a longer period - your photos bring back great memories. Looking forward to the rest of your TR.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Great report! I completely agree about MONA as a destination - and about Melbourne lacking Sydney's 'wow factor'. In fact that's a phrase I have frequently used myself. Don't get me wrong, I think they're both fantastic cities. I'm always delighted to hop on a plane to Melbourne for the weekend... and equally delighted to hop on a plane home to Sydney.

My chief complaint with Melbourne (apart from the lousy weather) is that although it has some fantastic neighbourhoods with very distinct characters, there's way too much empty, featureless suburbia in between them. Sydney is much denser in the centre, and most of the places you need to be are close together: of course the city spawls for miles in every direction, but unless you need a fix of a different beach, wooded cove, national park or ethnic foodie enclave in the name of variety, you can safely ignore them all. And as for transport, I find it thoroughly lacking in both cities.

It's true Melbourne used to have an unassailable lead in terms of shopping and nightlife. The shopping one probably still holds true, but Sydney's bar scene has really closed the gap a lot of late. To the Melbournites, you live in a great city, and one I might be tempted to live in myself... if only Sydney wasn't just up the road luring me with its gorgeousness...

Last edited by mad_atta; Mar 17, 2015 at 6:17 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Amazing trip report!

My girlfriend was lucky enough to study abroad for 1 semester in Melbourne and visited the Sydney area as well and loved everything in Australia. We always talk about going... Now the only questions is for how long....
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
Great report Matthandy. Was in Melbourne last year and loved the place, disappointed I didn't do the Great Ocean Road. Looking forward to hearing about your return flights.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by red duster
Great TR. love MONA too, our son works there so have been the past three years.^
Thanks red duster. It must be a very interesting place to work!

Originally Posted by Jailer
I'm bloody going. You have reminded me that Tasi is on my short list for a walking holiday and there's also my quest to find the reclusive and believed extinct Tasmanian tiger.
^^^ I had a great time and can definitely recommend it.

Originally Posted by Genius1
Tasmania is now firmly on my to-visit list. Spectacular images matthandy ^
Thanks Genius1.

Originally Posted by OldFruity
Great reports. Tnx Matt . Good luck with the Pong back to UK. As someone who has Ping Ponged and Pinged again I hope you find your Karma in the UK. We didnt. Family couldnt cope and I now commute PRG - MEL regularly. Lifestyle v family.... An interesting conundrum and one which most never face in their corporate, take family for granted, stay at home lives. Oz - once visited never forgotten. Good luck shutting that gate. Look forward to a @life in the Uk report' down the track. My advice - Dont watch SŁy news or consider the UK weather as important; both consistently boast the same depressing message - move to Australia.
Thanks for the advice OldFruity. I've been back almost a year now and it's been generally pretty ok. I do miss Sydney and I miss my friends there but I can't see myself moving back there. Having said that, in a couple of weeks time I'm visiting for a two week holiday so we'll see what my thoughts are after that!

Originally Posted by amaroo
Exquisite TR ^

You've captured the spirit of Australia in those photos - brilliant!

Looking forward to your F trip. We're doing QF F SYD-LHR-SYD in April ... making our way to IST for the 100th ANZAC Service.
^^ Thanks amaroo. That'll be a great trip. The flight home was excellent although the DXB lounge was somewhat underwhelming.

Originally Posted by Cappuccino
Great report and photos Matt. I was in Tassie last year and did a similar trip to yours but over a longer period - your photos bring back great memories.
Thank you Cappuccino. I think that it's a pretty common routing, for good reasons.

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report! I completely agree about MONA as a destination - and about Melbourne lacking Sydney's 'wow factor'. In fact that's a phrase I have frequently used myself. Don't get me wrong, I think they're both fantastic cities. I'm always delighted to hop on a plane to Melbourne for the weekend... and equally delighted to hop on a plane home to Sydney.
Totally agree mad_atta. When I originally travelled over to Australia to work I was offered a choice of Melbourne or Sydney. It had to be Sydney, there was no other option as far as I was concerned. That still holds true for me. I can see how Melbourne is an easier city to live in though.

Agree, the transport is terrible, compared to other major cities at least.

Originally Posted by bgriz18
Amazing trip report!

My girlfriend was lucky enough to study abroad for 1 semester in Melbourne and visited the Sydney area as well and loved everything in Australia. We always talk about going... Now the only questions is for how long....
Do it!

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Great report Matthandy. Was in Melbourne last year and loved the place, disappointed I didn't do the Great Ocean Road. Looking forward to hearing about your return flights.
Ah, you missed out. You definitely need to add that to your list for your next visit.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Great trip report. Thank you.

Lots of excellent photos inspire me to visit some new parts of Australia.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report, looking forward to seeing the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.