Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates A380 Business Class from Brisbane to Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Emirates A380 Business Class from Brisbane to Dubai

This is my 5th flight review on Flyertalk!

On November 10th 2014, I flew Business Class in an Airbus A380 of Emirates from Brisbane (BNE) to Dubai (DXB). In a nutshell: comfortable seats, mammoth amenity kits, a huge entertainment selection, good food, a wonderful crew and the upper deck bar makes flying Emirates’ A380 Business Class a memorable event (and the 14 hours 20 minute trip was simply too short!). The next flight segment from Dubai (DXB) to Brussels (BRU) was flown on an Emirates Boeing 777-300ER, an offered a totally different experience (you can read all about it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...s-dxb-bru.html).

- I took a lot of photos during the flight. You can find them here: http://wp.me/p4d1XU-4cE
- I also made a youtube clip of my flight experience. Hope you like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VafCIfqD2Jw

* Trip: BNE-DXB
* Date: November 10th, 2014
* Airline: Emirates
* Aircraft type: Airbus A380
* Aircraft ID: A6-EDO
* Flight Number: EK435
* On time departure: yes (8.45 pm)
* On time arrival: yes (5.05 am)
* Miles: 7443
* Flight time: 14:20
* Seat: 23K
* Class: business (D)

1. EMIRATES BUSINESS CLASS LOUNGE AT BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (BNE)

The Emirates Lounge in Brisbane is impressive and the perfect place to start the Business Class flight experience. It’s quite surreal that Emirates has its own luxurious lounge at BNE, given the fact that it is used only twice a day for Emirates’ flights to Auckland and Dubai. The lounge is large and elegant, the food tasty and very nicely presented with a plethora of choice (it outclasses the food on display at Emirates’ Dubai lounges). The best news is you can board directly from the lounge, so no queues.

2. THE BUSINESS CLASS CABIN

All of Emirates’ Business Class seats are located in two cabins on the upper deck of the Airbus A380, behind the First Class cabin. The first cabin contains the bulk of the seats (58 in total), while the cabin located at the rear of the plane (just in front the bar and the restrooms) contains only 18 seats and feels more intimate. The layout of the seats is staggered (1-2-1), which means every passenger has access to the aisle without having to step over anyone else.

The cabin offers a warm feeling, with a lot of classy burled walnut veneer, gold trim and pearlised plastic that frames the seats (and which may not suit all tastes). The mood lighting during the flight is very enjoyable: the colors of the ceiling chang with the local time, and the starry sky panels adds a touch of magic during the night.

The Business Class cabin was only half full for this overnight flight from Brisbane to Dubai.

3. THE BUSINESS CLASS SEAT

Each seat comes with plenty of storage space, an in-seat power supply (so you can use your laptop for the duration of the long-haul flight), a side table for space to work, and a personal minibar, stocked with soft drinks (albeit not cooled: so more aesthetic than functional). The seat can be reclined into a fully and very comfortable – albeit narrow – flatbed. A duvet was provided by the crew to enhance the sleeping comfort (I slept more than 8 hours on this 14 hour 20 minute flight).

How to choose the best Emirates A380 Business Class seat?

- The window seats (A, K) are more private than the aisle seats (B, D, G, J) as they are sheltered from the aisle by the seat’s mini-bar cabinet and the enclosed footrest of the person behind. The window seats also benefit from the storage cabinets under the windows.
- The dual and more intimate seats in the centre of the cabin (E, F) are perfect for partners traveling together.
- Keep in mind that aisle seats (B, D, G, J) are slightly shorter when fully flat, extending to 70 inches (178 cm) as compared to 79 inches (200 cm) for window and central seats (A, E, F, K). Seat pitch varies from 48 to 39 inches (122 to 99 cm), with the central and window seats again offering more space as compared to aisle seats. Seat width is 18.5 inches throughout the cabin.
- Seats 23A & 23K are the best Business Class seats on the A380 since they offer more legroom and privacy as compared to other window seats.
- IMHO, seats 7A & 7K are the worst seats: despite the fact that they have extra legroom (similar to seats 23A & 23K), they are totally exposed to the aisle and do not offer privacy at all (they seem to be lacking a shelter like is the case for all the other window seats).

4. AMENITIES

Each seat comes with a thin but comfortable blanket, a decently sized pillow, a lovely duvet, a noise cancelling headphone, flight socks and earplugs.

Before take-off, a very luxurious amenity kit was offered to all Business Class passengers. The amenity kit was presented as a large and gorgeous toiletry bag, and it contained the usual necessities – albeit in luxe edition – such as toothbrush and toothpaste through to handkerchiefs and deodorant. The mens amenity kit also provided Gilette shaving foam and a razor, as well as moisturizers and aftershaves by Bvlgari. The women’s one was different, catering with more feminine product ranges.

Unfortunately, pyjamas are not offered on Emirates’ longhaul flights, despite the phenomenal Business Class product. This is in contrast to its Middle East competitor Qatar Airways.

5. MEALS

Upon boarding, I was offered the choice between a glass of water, orange juice or Veuve Cliquot. I also received a refreshing hot towel with a nice texture (hot towels were also served before breakfast, 2,5 hours prior to landing). It took a long time before we plane was airborne, so I had plenty of time to go through the menu (which also included an extra dinner for those passengers connecting on the same plane from Auckland).

Soon after take off, and thanks to the fact that the cabin was half empty, dinner was served. As as starter, I choose the thai-style beef salad, which was good: thinly sliced prime beef tenderloin marinated with oriental soy sauce, chilli and fresh lime, presented with a green papaya salad. The main course was not my favorite but was ok nonetheless: garlic and chilli prawns, served with steamed pak choy, stir-fried shiitake mushrooms and lemongrass and coconut-infused rice. As a dessert, I choose the chocolate soufflé tart, served with fresh raspberries. Overall, food was ok but not as excellent though as the food served on the Dubai-Sydney leg a few weeks before.

About 2,5 hours before landing, breakfast was served. I felt this was too early, as everyone has finished his or her breakfast about 2 hours before touchdown, so they could easily have let the passangers sleep for another hour. It was refreshing nonetheheless: a fresh mango juice, a palette of tropical and seasonal cut fresh fruits, fruit flavoured yoghurt, and a bread basket (butter croissant and a pastry). As a main course, I choose the delicatessen’s cold meat and cheese, offering a gourmet selection of mild breakfast cheeses served with sliced roasted beef and shaves smoked chicken, dressed with an array of garnishes.

For the hungry ones, light bites were non-stop available during the flight, from cold snacks (panini sandwich) to hot snacks (e.g. Yakitori chicken skewers, seafood vol au vent, sundried tomato and feta quiche) and sweets (fresh fruit tart).

6. ENTERTAINMENT

One of the strongest elements of the Emirates A380 is the inflight intertainment system, the so-called ICE (information, communications, entertainment). ICE has an extensive range of new-release and classic films, television shows, box sets and audio options to choose from. You can choose from up to 1,800 channels of the latest and greatest movies and must-see TV shows, on demand and in multiple languages. You can also relax to music from around the world or play our range of fun games. The cameras installed in the tail, nose and belly of the megaplane also offer some fun moments, especially at take-off and landing.

The inflight entertainment is displayed on an individual giant 17-inch (43 cm) touch-screen that is supported by two hand-held controllers: one tablet-like device dedicated to the business class seat, including the seat controls ; and another smaller, standard inflight entertainment system controller. The touch-screen combined with the 2 controllers means that there is plenty of options to control your inflight entertainment depending on how the seat is reclined.

7. OTHER INFLIGHT & GROUND EXPERIENCES

#CREW: Emirates’ cabin crew is famous for the delivered onboard service and this was no different on this flight. Crew was professional and extremely friendly (addressing me by name, presenting themselves individually before take-off, and also thanking me in person for choosing Emirates before landing). All requests were dealt with promptly and cordially. Upon boarding, steward(esse)s explained the features of the cabin and seat to passengers individually.

#BAR: At the rear of the upper cabin, you can find the A380 Onboard Lounge – a bar exclusive to First Class and Business Class customers and a hub of activity throughout the flight. One could choose from premium spirits, exclusive wines, champagne, cocktails and beers alongside hot and cold beverages served by a dedicated bartender It’s a good platform to stretch your legs while interacting with other passengers and the international crew. I liked the Burj Al Arab and The Palm Island motives on the wall.

#LAVATORY: the 4 lavatories for Business Class passengers are located at the rear of the plane. Two of them come with a window. All lavatories were kept very clean during the flight.

#INTERNET: Emirates offered 10MB of free WiFi to each passenger during the flight. An additional 600MB could be purchased for $1. If you exceeded that limit, you could purchase yet another 600MB for $1. WiFi worked great.

#CHAUFFEUR SERVICE: one of the great things about flying Business (or First) class with Emirates is the complimentary chauffeur-driven airport transfers. Chauffeur-drive must be requested online, up to 48 hours prior to your flight. It is so nice to be picked up at your hotel and to be whisked away to the airport in a minimum of time.

8. MY VERDICT

Seat : 8/10
Food: 7/10
Inflight entertainment : 10/10
Amenity kit: 10/10
Service: 9/10
Cabin atmosphere (upper deck): 9.5/10
Overall experience: very good: 8.8/10
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
It’s quite surreal that Emirates has its own luxurious lounge at BNE, given the fact that it is used only twice a day for Emirates’ flights to Auckland and Dubai.
Thanks for the report.

I believe EK has another flight which goes to DXB via SIN, as well as the flight you took, which will give the lounge a bit more use.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by ft101
Thanks for the report.

I believe EK has another flight which goes to DXB via SIN, as well as the flight you took, which will give the lounge a bit more use.
Thx for correcting me. You are right. Besides the 2 daily flights to Dubai and Auckland, Emirates operates a third flight out of Brisbane, with Singapore as a destination (overnight). It is flown by a 777 these days.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thanks for sharing your EK experience with us, have never flown EK, but must admit that someday must try them out. Their lounges I have heard are really nice, spacious and plenty of food and drinks on offer.^
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
OK, just switched to seat 23K on both SEA-DXB and DXB-BCN. I wonder, however, if noise from the lounge is an issue at this location? Oh and just noticed that row 22 has a bassinet and "passengers traveling with an infant are often seated here". Uh-oh have I made a mistake?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
OK, just switched to seat 23K on both SEA-DXB and DXB-BCN. I wonder, however, if noise from the lounge is an issue at this location? Oh and just noticed that row 22 has a bassinet and "passengers traveling with an infant are often seated here". Uh-oh have I made a mistake?
Yes, you have hit on the problem with row 23. Unless one is extra tall and really needs the extra legroom it's generally recommended to avoid this row (also on Seatguru). I was surprised the author recommended them...maybe he is really tall.

There is plenty of legroom for most in any of the other rows further up...especially the window seats (A and K), which have more than the two seats in the middle of the plane.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I was also thinking that being toward the rear of the aircraft, that perhaps there is a greater likelihood of menu items being "sold out" at mealtime. I've gone ahead and moved back to my original seat, 16K.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by WNHHTraveler
Uh-oh have I made a mistake?
You have now. 23A and 23K are the best J seats on the plane.

Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
Yes, you have hit on the problem with row 23. Unless one is extra tall and really needs the extra legroom it's generally recommended to avoid this row (also on Seatguru). I was surprised the author recommended them...maybe he is really tall.

There is plenty of legroom for most in any of the other rows further up...especially the window seats (A and K), which have more than the two seats in the middle of the plane.
23A and 23K have no more legroom than the other A and K seats, and the same as the E and F seats in the middle of the plane.

The seats closest to the aisles B, D, G and J have reduced legroom.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am happy to see an ex-BNE EK J report. I had wanted to write one after my BNE-AKL-BNE EK J trip, but my characteristic laziness on that front got the better of me.

The investment that EK has made into its lounges in Oz/NZ are impressive, but when I thought it through, the my surprise was lessened. The gravity of the EK presence on the region's air travel market is incredible. Virtually everyone I've met from students to wealthy entrepreneurs prefer EK for westward trips.

I will say this about the BNE EK lounge: it's a bloody long walk, but compared with the QF lounge, it's worth it.

I am looking forward to my AKL-SYD-BKK trip in EK J this May.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:37 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Qantas FF
Nice Report

And yes sitting towards the front is better as you get served quicker but it's long trek back to the loo unless you get the covert nod to use the front loo by the crew

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.