Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in New York as The City lights up for Christmas

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
News flash: BA is starting four class 744 service to DEN in April. We've got one more 2-4-1 so we're going to head over to London in Spring sometime. Hope to get some more great restaurant recommendations from you.
As a Den based Flyer, this makes me very excited
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:48 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Another great weekend report SFO777!!

There is nothing like the audio sounds and imagery from the 9/11 museum. It's heartbreaking to walk through the exhibition, hearing those last answering machine messages to passengers' loved ones. Perhaps fortunate that our children will be able to learn about lives' lessons so vividly in a way that our current generation isn't able to do with events of past.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the tip on Dial 7 SFO777. I think we might give them a try this week-end as we're doing a day trip to NYC on AA (JFK), heading down Saturday morning; back up Saturday afternoon.
For what it's worth, I personally had a bad experience with Dial 7- exclusively related to the soft product. We had a driver who was not very good with english, got lost, then couldn't work the iPad machine to give us accurate billing. We had a great experience with Carmel and would recommend them anytime.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
News flash: BA is starting four class 744 service to DEN in April. We've got one more 2-4-1 so we're going to head over to London in Spring sometime. Hope to get some more great restaurant recommendations from you.
Good news! So far DEN wasn`t a great option for me as BA only had this 3-class flights. And nearly 10 hours in J isn`t my dream.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Recovering from Nepal in South Of France??? You know how to recover. Off to Breck today, first snowshoe trek of the season. I'll be sore for sure.
Thanks LANDJ999. Hope you enjoyed your trek and aren't too sore.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Thanks for sharing, never stayed at the London NYC not really my style and it looks a bit dated.
Thank you AAerSTL. Agree that it's a little dated and not sure we'd stay there again. But it was a great location for shopping and theater.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Thanks for the tip on Dial 7 SFO777. I think we might give them a try this week-end as we're doing a day trip to NYC on AA (JFK), heading down Saturday morning; back up Saturday afternoon. Just enough time to see the tree, go for a walk and have lunch. I was thinking about making it an over-night, but with hotel prices hovering around the $500 to $600 mark, I thought it best to make it a day trip. Delta's service looks pretty decent; thanks for sharing. Personally, I count myself fortunate to fly with AA, especially when most of my flights this year have been with US. From the report, it seems that your most recent experiences have been less than stellar.
Happy holidays!
Thanks very much CHOPCHOP767. If you use Dial 7, make sure you the discount coupons.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I really enjoy your TR's SFO777! Hoping I will have my own to show for soon That Delta meal looks pretty good visually. better than the stuff i've seen from UA/AA.
All of that food is making my mouth water while I work on this SalesForce guide
NYC looks nice, and the 9/11 musieum is on my list. Which part was the most provoking/stood out to you the most?
And ah shopping, one of the reasons I keep my gf away from Michigan Ave here in Chicago
Can't wait to read the rest!
Thank you thetravelingRedhead. I appreciate it. The museum is a very emotional experience. I would say that the Historical Experiences section was the most moving. It's a timeline of the day with a lot of first person experiences. The most chilling were the telephone messages from passengers and flight attendants from onboard the UA and AA planes.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
Welcome to the AA Exes club. I started seeing the writing on the wall early (2013) and after a disasterous 1Q14 travel quarter on AA for me (schedule changes, lack of operational reliability, terrible customer service), I started flying UA due to their better schedule. And even with the new devaluations on UA, I have resigned myself to staying with UA. It looks like loyalty in the traditional sense is dead, so we will all need to pay for F/J and earn miles by non-flying activity in the future.
Thanks AAExPlat. Can't agree more about traditional loyalty being dead. And DL exec just announced their goal of selling 70% of the front cabin. If they even come close to that, only the top tier elites can expect upgrades.

Originally Posted by tng11
Must say - another spectacular report SFO777. I always enjoy your reviews of restaurants around the world in addition to all those reports of F cabins that's inspired my travel. Note to self: I have to try Milos the next time I'm in YUL/NYC as I love octopus. Just wondering - how did you convince Mrs. SFO to fly BA F again? I'm quite sure I agree with her view that it's dreadful...
Thanks so much tng11. Time heals, and especially the lure of another First Class nonstop to Europe from Denver.

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
That's pretty funny how you went from Colorado to go to New York, only to eat Colorado lamb! Great report!
We did remark on that irony at the time.

Originally Posted by BA5E
As soon as I saw your name on TR I knew I was in for a good read, with lots of photos, and all that food, my gosh you both certainly know how to eat, and it all looked jolly good. Have not been to NY for a long time, and it is definitely on my wish list some time, the 9/11 museum certainly would be a must, albeit very sad, but imagine very moving. Even the rain pics looked good, you know how to capture the effect. Liked also the photos of Rockefeller Centre with the skaters and the tree. Enjoy Christmas, and look forward to reading your next TR ^
Thank you BA5E and for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
As a Den based Flyer, this makes me very excited
Indeed. And F award seats look reasonably plentiful. It's just those crazy BA fees that give one pause. The BA fees on a award ticket to London are $1,200 each! Jeez.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Another great weekend report SFO777!!
There is nothing like the audio sounds and imagery from the 9/11 museum. It's heartbreaking to walk through the exhibition, hearing those last answering machine messages to passengers' loved ones. Perhaps fortunate that our children will be able to learn about lives' lessons so vividly in a way that our current generation isn't able to do with events of past.
For what it's worth, I personally had a bad experience with Dial 7- exclusively related to the soft product. We had a driver who was not very good with english, got lost, then couldn't work the iPad machine to give us accurate billing. We had a great experience with Carmel and would recommend them anytime.
Thank you worldtraveller73. I remember you visiting earlier in the year. Those telephone messages were so moving. It took a long time for the museum to be built but I think the final product is an exceptional memorial and tribute to all that died that day.

Yeah, Dial 7 gets mixed reviews. We've never had a really bad experience although our driver this trip was a little strange and drove inexplicable slow at times and had trouble staying in our lane. Even Mrs. SFO777 got annoyed and asked the guy "why are you driving so slow?" Good thing he didn't speak much English.
Interesting name too... Gi No. Not Gino, but first name Gi, second name No. We did decide to Uber it on the way home.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Good news! So far DEN wasn`t a great option for me as BA only had this 3-class flights. And nearly 10 hours in J isn`t my dream.
I'm with you on that and the reason we never took that flight.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Excellent trip review SFO777 - I have always been fond of Manhattan in December with all the Xmas lights and in fact will be heading there in a few days for a week's stay.

I have a friend that has keeps telling me me to try the London next time I am in NY so I especially appreciated your pictures and review. I now just don't stay in Midtown that much, I feel almost like a fuddy duddy, stating I have grown to like the "relative" peace and quiet down at the Conrad, especially a time like now when the tourist crowd traffic midtown in immense and some hotels midtown (especially times square) it feels like you are a salmon working your way upstream as soon as you walk out the front door.

I have to agree with the above poster regarding Dial 7, I tried them twice and have stuck to Carmel since then.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks AAExPlat. Can't agree more about traditional loyalty being dead. And DL exec just announced their goal of selling 70% of the front cabin. If they even come close to that, only the top tier elites can expect upgrades.
I am not even sure that even top elites will get upgrades very much. On UA, only GS might have a really decent shot. I am under 50% on UA on the year and I am wrapping up December with 1 upgrade out of 9 segments as a 1k.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
I am not even sure that even top elites will get upgrades very much. On UA, only GS might have a really decent shot. I am under 50% on UA on the year and I am wrapping up December with 1 upgrade out of 9 segments as a 1k.
Ive lucked out pretty well surprisingly on AA this year, Lots of DEN>LAX, LAX>JFK and even all my intl SWUs minus a friend to HKG from Dallas.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Why not? I never drink wine/ alcohol
Not only you, there are may millions like you (Muslims)
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oops. Almost forgot to finish this off...

The sun finally came out on a beautiful but chilly 32F/0C degree Sunday morning.

With a 12:20P departure from Laguardia, we headed down to the lobby around 10:25A. Our Uber driver showed up 3 minutes after I ordered it. With light Sunday traffic, we arrived at Laguardia just before 11:00A. Only one other person in front of us in PreCheck and we were in the Admirals Club a few minutes later.

New York Laguardia - Chicago O'Hare
American 331
737-800
12:20P-2:00P
December 7, 2014
Lunch

We arrived at the gate just as the GA starting boarding the First Class cabin. The annoying and obliviously loud moron in 5E. A Bose with music on loud moment for sure.

American's 40" pitch in F means the most narrow body legroom of any non-transcon US domestic plane. Unfortunately, the new USdbaAA is going to fix that and reduce legroom to squeeze in more & seats.

Since September 1st, new American management drastically cut back the quality of meals. In one day, AA went from best US food airline to worst. Anything other than pasta is largely inedible prison grade mystery meat lathered in goop. Despite management claiming that they would improve meal quality, nothing has improved. Nevertheless, Mrs. SFO prefers chicken so I ordered chicken for her while I stayed with the safer pasta.

Yikes. As expected, it was inedible. Hard to cut and tasted terrible.

My pasta was marginally better. We shared some of this to take the edge off our hunger and decided to eat at O'Hare.

At least it was edible in a 7-11 kind of way.

Yeah, that really looks good.

American used to bake cookies on board. Apparently that cost too much and now that buy in bulk at Costco and reheat them before serving. Even the flight attendants are embarrassed by the miss. I mentioned to our flight attendant that I missed the old American. She didn't miss a beat and replied "so do we".

More bad news today as our power ports weren't functioning. The good news is that AA gave us two $75 travel vouchers after I complained.

Once in Chicago, we headed for Rick Bayless' Torta Frontera where we shared a delicious Cubana sandwich.

Then to the Admirals Club for a half hour before our Denver flight.

Chicago O'Hare - Denver
American 151
737-800
3:55P-5:35P
December 7, 2014
Refreshments

Our Denver flight was a Boeing Sky interior plane with AA's new individual seat back entertainment system. A nice selection of movies. But these seats are not very comfortable.

Nice sunset in the foothills of the Rockies as we landed.

Thanks for coming along on our quick weekend in wonderful New York City.

Last edited by SFO777; Dec 14, 2014 at 6:18 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Miesque
Excellent trip review SFO777 - I have always been fond of Manhattan in December with all the Xmas lights and in fact will be heading there in a few days for a week's stay. I have a friend that has keeps telling me me to try the London next time I am in NY so I especially appreciated your pictures and review. I now just don't stay in Midtown that much, I feel almost like a fuddy duddy, stating I have grown to like the "relative" peace and quiet down at the Conrad, especially a time like now when the tourist crowd traffic midtown in immense and some hotels midtown (especially times square) it feels like you are a salmon working your way upstream as soon as you walk out the front door. I have to agree with the above poster regarding Dial 7, I tried them twice and have stuck to Carmel since then.
Thank you Miesque. Hope you enjoy your visit to New York as much as we did. We typically stay on the quieter upper east side but wanted to be closer to the action this time. We both find a couple days of NY hustle and bustle to be invigorating.

Yeah, UA and DL elites seem to be suffering than AA elites on the upgrade front.

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Ive lucked out pretty well surprisingly on AA this year, Lots of DEN>LAX, LAX>JFK and even all my intl SWUs minus a friend to HKG from Dallas.
I have not had a problem either missing only 2 upgrades all year. But I'm so down on AA and the US management, that I've become a free agent and am now booking on price and convenience, which means not much AA any more.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:10 pm

Wow, that AA chicken looks nothing like any part of the bird , I've ever come across.
Compressed pieces maybe? And the pasta? Not Tortellini.
Nice call on the Cubano!
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Thanks for once again causing me to salivate while reading a trip report, SFO777.

Both the dining AND shopping photos made your weekend holiday look fabulous. I'm making notes for my next getaway ...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: United MP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Carmel is always my car service of choice when I use something other than UBER here in NYC. Also, if you plan ahead there are coupons you can print off the website that can save you $4 or $5 on airport trips.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yum.. Tortas Frontera... I wish they had a location at every major airport...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for coming back to wrap this one up ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.